• Published 29th May 2012
  • 1,802 Views, 46 Comments

The Knight is Rising - clearshot01



They killed my family, and they used me in their experiments. Now, they're going to pay...

  • ...
5
 46
 1,802

Rising Knight in a nutshell

A/N: Hello to all who read this. If anyone is interested in having a character of their own creation making an appearance, feel free to comment or send me a PM. Anyway, enough of this boring stuff, let's get on with the story!

The first thing I thought when I woke up that day was Where am I and how did I get here? Last thing I remember was being knocked out after that stallion with the horn and wings... And then I remembered. My parents, or step-parents if you want to get technical, were dead, murdered by one of those monsters accompanying that pony with the wings and horn, that Alicorn, though after what he did, all I wanna call him is scum. He doesn't deserve the privilege of being called an Alicorn. If I wasn't in the situation I currently find myself in, then I would've cried thinking about my parents, but I was too busy trying to figure out where I was, and praying that my little sister was alright (No, my sister and I are not related by blood either, she was born to my step-parents, but she's still my sister).

The cell wasn't big, but it wasn't small either. There was a toilet Thank god, I didn't want to have to sleep in my own filth, though if it was between that and dying, I'd probably find a way to make-do, and a bed that looked as though it had seen better days Doesn't really matter though, a bed is a bed. Beats sleeping on the floor. I got up and stretched my legs, then walked over to the iron-bar door. It didn't look that sturdy, so I thought about giving it a few good bucks. This proves to be a wasted endeavour, as the bars were electrified. Learned that the hard way, in other words ZAP!. So I tried another approach. I focused my energy into my horn, and tried to force the door open with magic.

Oh right, I didn't tell you, did I? My name is Rising Knight, but everypony calls me Knight for short. They used to call me Rising, but I just told 'em I preferred Knight, so now it's Knight. Also, I'm a unicorn pony, though I'm pretty different from most ponies in general. How? For one, I've always had a few, unique, abilities. I'm able to use a strange form of 'teleportation' for lack of a better word. I can literally merge with any shadows I'm in contact with, no matter how small, and then I can reappear from within any nearby shadows. I've practiced it a lot, so my range has really increased. I can go for a few miles. This doesn't use any energy, but it's still dangerous. Not in the way that normal teleportation is dangerous. I don't have to worry about leaving parts of me behind. what I have to worry about is spending too long in that weird shadow world. See, when I merge with a shadow, I enter a weird world where I can see other parts of the world.

Wasn't till I was 10 that I realised that I was seeing through shadows. It was literally as if the shadows themselves were showing me the world from their perspective. But anyway, back to the danger. See, if someone eliminates the shadows from wherever I want to go while I'm in the shadow world, then I get stuck there. It's not a case of no way back ever, just that it's extremely difficult for me to get back. Plus, I still need to eat and drink, which can't be done in the SW, since there's literally no life in there, other than myself. So at most, I could stay in the SW for around two days or so. After that, I have to get back and find something to eat and drink, or I'll die. Almost happened once, won't go into details. Let's just say that magpies are no longer on my "DO NOT KILL" list.

So, wondering what else I can do? Well, I'll tell you. My other power actually involves the sun and the moon. I can literally draw energy from them and use it to boost my own magic, or to use these really cool abilities I call the "Celestial Techniques". I won't go into a boring explanation of what they are and what each of them does. All I'll say is that there are three variations of each one. The first draw their strength from just the sun, the second from the moon, and the third use a combination of the two. The third are undoubtedly the most powerful, but I can't completely control them, so I usually stick with the first and second type.

I can use any of them at any time, but as you can guess, the Lunar set are stronger at night, and the Solar set are stronger in the day, so I generally use them only when they are most effective. And just so you know, I spent the past few years being trained to be an assassin. Now, I know what you're thinking. You were trained to kill people? For what? Money? And to that I say, you are ignorant. A true assassin never kills for money, or for power. A true assassin uses their skills for the safety and good of others. So, now you know about my abilities, let me tell you about my past and how I came to be here.

My parents found me when I was five. I was apparently in very bad condition because I remember they had horrified looks on their faces upon seeing me. I had absolutely no memories of my past or my family, I didn't even remember my name. The only reason they knew it was because it was engraved on a small bracelet attached to my right foreleg. There was another engraving on the other side, of the sun and the moon. They told me they had suspicions of what it might mean, but they told me they didn't want to give me false hope. In the meantime, they promised to look after me until they could get me home. For the first few days, they absolutely refused to let me risk hurting myself, insisting that I rest and recover. To this day, I still don't know how bad my injuries really were. All I know is that they said I would be risking my life if I tried to get up before I had recovered.

For the most part, they weren't around, always going off to do 'Big pony things' as they put it. I wasn't lonely though, as their daughter was always there, always trying to make me smile. For the most part she was successful. I was rarely without a big grin plastered to my face. One day she called me 'brother', right in front of them both, and I was more than a little surprised. It was that day that they asked me if I wanted to be part of their family. I said yes without hesitation, and I found myself initiating a group hug with my parents and sister, despite them saying that it might delay my recovery or possibly even cause permanent damage. After a few weeks though, I had recovered from whatever injuries I had suffered. It was actually that day that I discovered my ability of "Shadowporting" I know, not very creative, but it's the best I could come up with.

I was walking through the woods with my dad, talking about what he did for a living. He would only say that he and mom did a 'special' kind of job that was necessary for the good of Equestria. Before I could question him further, a huge tree branch snapped and started falling right on top of me. All I remember was dad yelling and running towards me, and then suddenly I was right in front of him, the branch on the ground where I had been standing less than a moment ago. He was shocked to say the least, but it didn't stop him from wrapping his forelegs around me and crying out of relief that I was alright. He asked me how I did it, but I told him I didn't know. He was perplexed, but he put his opinions on hold until we got home.

Upon our arrival, and his explanation to mom about what happened, they both combined their magic to analyse my memory in an attempt to find out what happened. When they were done, they explained that I had somehow merged with the shadows I was standing on at the time and entered some sort of shadow world, then exited it, emerging from dad's shadow right before the branch could hit me. They didn't know how I could do this, but they did know that they needed to help me to learn how to control it. It was then that they decided to tell me what they did for a living.

They told me that they were trained assassins. Hearing this, I became afraid and tried to back away, which they noticed. My sister appeared beside me and told me that she knew what they did from the start, but that she had promised not to tell me. I asked why they took a job that required them to kill other ponies. Their response was simple. A true assassin never kills innocents. They only ever kill when it is for the good of others, and only when there is no other option. They never kill for power or for money, but for the safety and good of the citizens of Equestria.

It was those words that calmed me, and made me realise that my fears were groundless. After all, if they had wanted to hurt me, they would have left me to die the day they found me instead of rescuing me and giving me a home, a family. They apologised for keeping it from me, saying that they didn't want to scare me or make me think I would have to go down the same path as them. They kept asking me if I could forgive them. All I said was that there was nothing to forgive. That they were just trying to protect me, and why should they need forgiveness for that. They just smiled with tears in their eyes and we all embraced each other.

They asked me if I would be willing to learn the way of the assassin, in addition to learning how to control my powers. I agreed, stating that if it helped me to better protect myself and others, I would gladly undertake any training they had to offer. So from that point on, I learned how to be a master assassin, alongside my sister, who was quite skilled despite being nearly 3 years younger than me. Imagine, a three year old filly being able to erase her entire presence in an instant, or sneak up behind somepony, knock them unconscious or kill them, then vanish without even leaving a trace. It is a sight that will either leave you completely dumbstruck, or plague you with nightmares. My reaction was the former. But it didn't discourage me. If anything, it made me even more determined. We agreed that my training would not start until I had turned nine.

To say it was difficult would be equivalent to saying Discord is mildly insane. In other words, it was brutal. The first thing we focused on was balance and dodging. They would place me on an extremely thin board over a pit filled with various 'items', and I had to be able to walk from one end of the board to the other without falling. To make it more challenging, they would constantly throw objects at me, not to harm, but to simply unbalance me and force me to fall. It took over 3 months (and at least 376 showers) before I had mastered the first step. After that, I could walk across the board for hours while dodging everything that was thrown at me.

Once they were sure that I had reached perfection in balance and dodging, they let me rest for a month before we moved onto stealth and sensing the presence of others, without the use of magic or my shadowporting ability. This was proven to be even more difficult as I literally had to train so that I would be able to sense the presence of anypony in any given area at once, and also be able to instinctively know which ponies I would need to avoid. I would be placed in a magically created maze, and I would have to get to the center, grab the object inside, and get back to the entrance, all while avoiding being detected by the guards inside.

What they didn't tell me was that the guards were magical clones, created with all their senses heightened so that even the slightest sound could be heard, or the slightest movement seen, or even the slightest odor detected. they also forgot to tell me that the second one of them detected me, I would be teleported back to the start and all the positions of the guards would be randomized, so that I couldn't memorise them and avoid places I knew they'd be. So I literally had to not only use my own senses to find and avoid them, but I also had to be wary of their heightened senses. It was literally a nightmare for me.

The worst part was actually that until I mastered this aspect of my training, I could not stop to rest. It was not that I couldn't try, but the magic that created the maze and the guards also prevented me from leaving or resting, except for trips to the bathroom that were few and far between. But I kept at it, and eventually, after several months, I was able to traverse the maze, obtain the object, and reach the entrance again, all without being detected. It was then that we were to move on to the final stage of my training. the stage that would not only result in me finding out about my other inherent ability, but would also bring my existence to the attention of one who would seek to use me to bring the world to its knees.

It was a month after I had finally finished my training in the maze, and we were finally moving on to the final stage. They were finally going to teach me combat and deception tactics. They told me that this was the most difficult stage. They had explained what this stage entailed while I was recovering from my exhaustion at all the training I had done in stealth without taking a break for rest, not that I had a choice. I was going to be placed in the center of a group of armed guardsponies, and I would be required to incapacitate them. It was up to me whether I chose to just knock them out or kill them. I was also told that the guards would continuously respawn until I could no longer fight them. Once that happened, I was to escape them, using whatever means necessary, short of risking the safety of innocents. I accepted the conditions, even after I was told that if I failed, I would just restart until I passed, but if I broke any of the test's conditions not only would I fail, but my training would be ended right there and then, and all my memories of what had happened in my life would be erased, and I would be left in the nearest town.

With that, I was alone in the artificial town. but only for a few seconds. After which, I was attacked from all sides by several guardsponies wielding several different weapons. I had resolved from the start not to kill them, even if they were only magical clones. I had intended to make this as difficult as possible, not so much to prove that I was worthy of being an assassin, but to prove to myself that I could restrain myself from taking a life. I quickly disarmed each guard and knocked them out in rapid succession, delivering powerful bucks that sent them flying into walls and through doors. I kept that up while I moved through the town looking for any area that would be easy to defend...

I found a perfect spot a few minutes later. It was a small raised platform, just high enough that normally only a pegasus could get onto it in a single jump. I however, did just that, by using magic to strengthen my legs to give me a higher jump. Once on top, I could clearly see where the guards would be coming from. On top of that, there were multiple ways for me to get away from the structure, namely roofs, but the ladder attached to the platform was the only way onto it, short of flying. This meant that until peasus guards started showing up, I only had one direction to be keep an eye on. they came up one at a time, and I bucked them back down each and every time.

This went on until I was too tired to keep bucking. That was when I decided that it was time to escape. But that was also when the pegasi decided to make their appearance. So while running across the rooftops, dodging thrown weapons from the earth ponies, and magical projectiles from the unicorns, I had to deal with dive bombing and air to ground arrows from the pegasi. Luckily, my training meant that I was able to subconsciously bob and weave my way through the rainstorm of deadly projectiles. I was almost to the end of the town, when I heard a scream. I turned to see the first civilian pony I had encountered in my entire time, and she was being held by an earth pony guard who had a sword pressed to her neck. He demanded that I surrender myself or they would kill her. The second those words left his lips, I was possessed by an intense fury. I felt my horn glow a furious white, and I could hear something, words in a language I had never heard before, and suddenly everything went white...

When I regained consciousness, mom, dad and my sister were all hugging me, crying. They said that there had been a huge explosion of energy from me during the training, and that when they found me, I had gained my cutie mark. Sure enough, when I looked at my flank, I saw it. My cutie mark. It was two crossed swords, one adorned with the sun, the other with the moon. My parents then searched through what they could find of the images of the training in my mind, that I had apparently summoned two strange blades of a make they had never seen before,

and I had slammed them into the ground creating a huge shockwave of energy, completely decimating the guards, while somehow leaving the town and the civilian unharmed. They said that they had noticed that somehow, I had drawn energy from the sun itself when I created the shockwave. They said I should give this ability a name as well, so I called them the Celestial techniques, since they derived their strength from heavenly bodies. They then returned their attention to my test. I was sure that I had failed, but they told me that I had passed with flying colours. Their explanation was that even my sister had given herself up rather than let an innocent get hurt, since she could just escape from wherever they imprisoned her. But I had taken it further, actually taking out the guard before he could make good on his threat. In short, they were inpressed. With that, they officially welcomed me as a Celestial Assassin.

They told me that the Celestial Assassins were literally the unkown defenders of the innocents of Equestria. We were shadows, whose names could never be known, and whose skills were vital in defending ponies from threats that even Princess Celestia herself was not entirely aware of. In short, we were the line of defence that dealt with threats that could never become public knowledge. I accepted this, and promised that unless it was absolutely necessary, I would not use what I had learned in my training without their express permission. And with that, my training was complete.

I was 11 years old. It was at that time that, unbeknownst to me, an alicorn with a dark gray body, with a grey mane and tail, and a cutie mark, that was more like a picture, of surgiacal equipment in a barren wasteland, was standing there watching us. Grinning, with a plan forming in his mind. A plan that would result in several other worlds being destroyed and some of those worlds' inhabitants taken from everything and everypony they knew and loved, all for the sake of this alicorn's desire for vengeance...

It had been two years since I became a Celestial Assassin.Since then I've trained hard, and become even more proficient in the use of my blades. The thing is, they actually don't appear unless I either say, or think of, their names, Taiyō no me (Eye of the sun) and Tsuki no me (Eye of the moon), which is pretty cool since it means I don't have to carry them around on my back or strap them to my sides. So far there have been no incidents that actually required my involvement, so mom and dad have been making sure I at least know some Equestrian history. I was not very interested in history, but I took in enough to get by. I also built on other skills I had some knowledge of, though I don't remember where I learned them, such as math and science, but also arts such as potion-making and weapon/armour smithing. The former was so that I could make antidotes to various posions, while the former was so that no matter where I went, I could make tools to aid me where my twin blades weren't going to cut it. After a few months, I was finally considered proficient in all areas my parents had decided to school me in.

It was my sister's birthday, so we decided to go to a nearby town, Ponyville, and see about getting a cake for her so we could have a quiet party at home. On the way, I felt something was terribly wrong, but before I could warn them about it, there was a bright flash, and I was blinded. When I could see again, I saw mom and dad, lying there, their bodies brutally slashed, and a black-as-night unicorn with red eyes, that looked like those of a dragon, standing over them, his coat and horn stained with blood. I saw my sister, standing there, looking terrified and furious at the same time. I could see that she couldn't decide whether to run or fight, so I made the decision for her. I looked at her, and told her in no uncertain terms, to run, and not to stop until she was in Ponyville. I made her swear to stay safe until I came back for her. And when I was sure she was gone, I turned and charged at the black unicorn, who simply dodged, and laughed before introducing himself as 'One'.

Every time he addressed me, he called me 'Triple Digits', infuriating me further. In the end, I lost it, summoning my blades, and I released a Tentai Shogekiha (celestial shockwave), totally focused on killing him. When the smoke cleared, he was in very bad shape, but he was still alive. Before I could finish him off, a dark grey alicorn appeared and struck me down. Before I lost consciousness, I could hear him telling One to get 'Subject 100' to the facility. My last thoughts were Mom, dad, sister, I'm sorry. I wasn't strong enough. Please forgive me... before I fell into oblivion.

A/N: And now you know how Rising Knight came to be at the facility. I've had a think about it, and I've decided not to add Ichigo Ed and Naruto to the fic, instead I'm just gonna add some nameless humans. The reason I'm adding humans at all will be revealed during Knight's stay in the facility. Also, this story is set roughly four years before the first adventures of the mane 6, so Rising Knight's escape from the facility will be after the Canterlot Wedding. Rising Knight's escape from the facility will either be in the next chapter or the one directly after it. I won't be following the wedding story, as it will all be over by the time Rising Knight escapes. I will say that a battle is in his future. I'll leave it up to you to guess who it is with.