• Published 17th Nov 2011
  • 1,982 Views, 10 Comments

Luna Sets the record straight - Paradise Oasis



In a series of evening speeches across Equestria, the Princess of the night wants to clarify a few t

  • ...
0
 10
 1,982

Chapter 1


Luna sets the record straight.

Nightfall comes... and all of ye ponies goeth to your slumber. You put away yon activities and projects for the day, kiss thine foals good night, and retire to your nice warm beds, hoping of another bright and productive day on the morrow.

But as thy day ends... our night begins. Rising from our bed, we dress, groom ourselves, and prepare to do one of the two most important jobs that any pony has in equestria; we bringeth up the moon, and bring on the night. We turn the light to shadow so that thee all may enjoy a peaceful repose. We create a beautiful, star-filled night sky that few will ever appreciate, yet we have learned to find pleasure in our own work itself, rather than the adulation such a great work should bring us.

A millennia ago, and when we first returned... we were alone in this endevaor. Our cold and empty throne room was silent, save for the sound of the flickering candlights in the wind. We were denied the love and attention that Celestia garnered from the ponies we ruled, and We wept bitterly in our loneliness.

But since then, we hath discovered a few who enjoy our night more than Celestia's day. Our royal court hath grown up around us, populated by the outcasts and rejects of the 'perfect' society our sister created. They sleepeth through the bright hours of the day, then join with us as the sun sets, and we hold court under the stars. They appreciate our self, and our work, in a way no other pony ever has.

First among them is Sky Runner, our loyal chamberlain. we first met Sky a month after our return. He hath stayed up late one night, upset over having been thrown out of our sister's royal academy of magic for having 'radical views'. He approached us that night, and presented to us his ideas to improve pony society... his ideas for change. Intrigued by his words, we did ask him to return again in the nights that followed, and tell us more.

And come he did, night after night, laying out his plans and theories. And Soon, other ponies Sky Runner had told that we actually listened, did join him one by one. Within a few months we soon had a full room of courtiers and retainers attending my nightly moon-raising sessions. We welcomed unicorn mages tossed form their jobs, because they didn't agree with my sister's ideas and philosophies- They became our Night Shapers. And to our court did come many Pegasus guards, ejected from my sisters service for their beliefs on a stronger defense and a less open court- these Pegasus did our Nightshapers change with their magic. And they became our elite, bat-winged Nightwatch- the guards who are given the privilege of pulling our Chariot of Night. These are the servants who carry out our will throughout the night-filled Equestria.

Bat-Winged Pegasus, spiked chariots... do not be surprised that we embrace things of the darkness... we ourselves are of the darkness. That is not to say that we are evil, cruel or mean in any way. We like to believe that We are just as kind and benevolent as our sister. But while her world is the world of sunshine, butterflies, and rainbows, ours is the world of ravens, darkened skies, and ghosts dancing on the shadows, cast by the moonlight. Even though we should hate Nightmare night, tis a celebration of everything we are, and we doth revel in it.

Tis true, our personality may come off as a bit... rough. We are not used to how personal our subjects are now with their royalty. And we are not used to simple things, such as having 'fun'. But we are trying to fit into your modern world, with all of it's bizarre oddities. But it can be difficult to adjust to a time with more advanced technology... and looser morals (Ugh, do NOT get us started on that one!)You must learn to be as patient with us, as we will try to be with you.

But many believe because we are of the darkness, that we beith evil, as well. A thousand years ago, we did let our anger and our jealousy corrupt us, turning us into a twisted mockery of everything We stood for. We stared into the abyss, but we did not become the abyss itself. Now, We are free of evil's taint. But our subjects still believeith that the specter of Nightmare Moon still hangs over us. We doth hope to change this perception amongst our subjects, but alas, our greatest attempts, outside of the Ponyville endeavor, hath failed to achieve the results we seeketh. Only mine court doth treat us with the respect We doth seek... and only Duke Sky Runner treats us like a Princess... and a lady.

But even amongst our supporters, there are many misconceptions. There are those that believeith that we are some kind of helpless, sock-wearing foal in a box... this is an insult to our royal dignity that we shall not tolerate! We are as powerful, proud and regal as our sister! Many also hold within themselves the opinion that our sister beith some kind of foul troll, who banished us wrongfully to the moon for a millennium. Know this, though we may hath our differences in opinion, Celestia and our royal person love each other dearly. It broke her heart to banish us within the moon, and it is good for all of Ponydom that she did. Nightmare Moon did plan to take away the sunlight forever, freezing your crops, and leaving all of you to starve to death. Our sister did the right thing, and thee are all fools to think otherwise.

But lo, even as We much enjoy aderessing these matters, which hath lain heavily on our mind, other duties now call us away. The evening is drawing nigh, and we are compelled to sally forth, and bringeth on the evening that heralds the end of Ponydom's day. Then I shall join my full-mained, stockily built Chamberlain (Why beith it the majority of you modern fillies and mares, desire the companionship of pretty and effeminate stallions? Disgusting! Givieth us a Stallion with muscles and full facial hair!) and call my court to order. As Celestia goes to her slumber, the night calls to Us, and We must gallop for into it's embrace. Fare you well!