• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 10,070 Views, 18,189 Comments

Utaan - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash endures many trials to reach the edge of the world.

  • ...
44
 18,189
 10,070

PreviousChapters Next
The Risks That We Take

The edge of the world...

Kepler and Flynn set up their station along the marble precipices of the last solid surfaces of the plane. The golden towers vibrated and hummed as the Gondola continued its harmonic ascent from afar. Meanwhile, Flynn erected an elaborate crystal-powered antenna attached to a black metal box.

"It's... uhm... it's for detecting massive surges in the leylines," the balding unicorn explained. He smiled sheepishly as he continued tweaking the apparatus. "I know that you and your invisible friends are waaay better at detecting this sort of phenomena than I'll ever be, but it doesn't hurt to have a failsafe, huh?"

"Just keep on keepin' on, dude." Rainbow patted his back as she hovered over the misty surfaces of Emeraldinian architecture. The constant roar of rushing water and broiling thunder felt strangely relaxing compared to the true storm that was upcoming. "I'm going to be far off... dealing with Rohbredden's finests and a bunch of nasty sound effects, most likely." She winked. "It'll be super cool to have you and your doohickey ready to signal us upon the elevator's arrival."

"Hey..." Flynn breathed nervously. "Just h-happy to help." He gulped, ears folding melancholically. "Wish I was half as happy to see the Stardust go."

"Get over her," Rainbow said with a wink. "I'm sure she's already gotten over you."

"Jee. Thanks."

"Anytime, bud." Rainbow glided over to Kepler. "K-dude. How's it hanging?"

"That rremains to be seen, Rrainbow One!" The optimistic wyvern squatted at the marble edge, tinkering with a runic boomstick. "It depends on how the oft-misunderrstood laws of grravity decide to function along the way to the Darrk Side."

"Look at it this way..." Rainbow Dash rested a hoof on his hairy shoulder, leaning forward. "I'm super okay with losing my lunch in zero-g... so long as it means leaving this cruddy ocean waaaaaay behind."

"Mmmm... out of the firre and into the frrying pan, though?"

"I'll take it one step at a time." Rainbow leaned back. "I just want this fight to go as painlessly as possible."

"We should always wish forr heavenly things."

"Totally, dude."

"Just concerrn yourrself with the no-doubt glorrious acrrobatics that you arre surrely about to perrforrm, Austrraeoh," Kepler said with a smile. "It will give us all something to speak prroudly of along the rride to the otherr side."

"Now there's a happy thought." Rainbow's eyes narrowed on the boomstick he was tweaking. "Got a handle on that?"

"I would think as much."

"You've... uh... memorized the moonwhinny commands for firing off the 'GONDOLA!!!' signals... r-right?"

"Ha-Hah!" Kepler winked through his spectacles. "Have you forrgotten who you arre talking to?"

"Just... y'know..." Rainbow shrugged. "...wondering if those whacked-out words are tougher to say through those pearly tusks of yours."

"I sufferrr to underrstand how the poorr midnighterrs manage the complex phonetics with such ghastly fangs!"

"Touche." Rainbow smirked, fluttering off. "Stay classy as ever, Kepler."

"I shall attempt to with grreatest sincerrity, Rrainbow One."

Rainbow chuckled slightly to herself. Soon, she approached Logan who was sharpening his axe. "You know... odds are that you're not going to get to used that baby much."

"Oh yeah?" The large stallion muttered out the side of his muzzle. "Odds are the odds aren't going to go as you expect them."

"Must you be so stupidly pessimistic?" Rainbow asked.

"It's not pessimism so much as looking for a fight." Logan turned to throw her a manure-eating-grin. "In which case... I'm always turned on."

"You got that right!" Flynn hollered from afar.

"Shut up, baldy!" Logan spat. "How about we switch strategies and use the shine from your skull to blind the enemy armada?!"

"We can just shave your flankcheeks and save half as much time!"

"Oh that'll give the midnighters something new to worship!"

"Hahaha!"

"Ahem..." Rainbow Dash leaned in, brow furrowed. "How about saving the crudeness for the Dark Side?"

"I dunno, Rainbow," Logan muttered, returning to sharpening his blade. "The way I figure it... once we get there... being 'crude' will no longer be a snazzy outlet."

"Guess we'll just have to wait and see." She "punched" Logan in the shoulder. "Just remain on your A-Game. We just might need you and Remna yet."

"'Ow,' by the way."

"Yeah right. Say..." Rainbow turned about, squinting across the marble platforms. "Where is that dragon pony anyways?"

"Over there... roundabouts..." Logan pointed towards the far edge of the platforms. "Being emo."

"Of course." And Rainbow walked off.


Remna shuffled slowly across the forest of rusted metal stakes. She reached a violet hoof out, brushing them past an array of dangling crystal vials—all of them empty. The air filled with gentle percussion, like glass raindrops against the dull bass roar of the endless end.

When Rainbow arrived, it was on soft wings. The pegasus touched down, staring across the thunderous space between her and her once-foe. Clearing her throat, Rainbow said, "Kepler and Flynn are just now getting set up here on the edge. Bard's situating the Stardust while Ariel and Wildcard work things out with their halves of Enix's crew." Rainbow took a breath. "If Fluttershy and Rarity are correct in their estimations, then the enemy ships will be here in just a few hours. We... uh... may have some time to kill before then. Could be a good opportunity to rest and collect our thoughts. That kind of stuff is super important for mortals, y'know."

Remna said nothing. She continued gently caressing the dangling vials, her expression grim. Lethargic.

Rainbow arched her eyebrow. "What are you even doing, Axan?"

"All of the blood is gone. Drained." Remna murmured, her green eyes reflecting the crystal jars. "It's telling, don't you think?"

Rainbow stirred where she stood. "You've never struck me as one to get sentimental over dead alicorns."

"It's not sentiment," Remna grunted.

Thunder and water.

"Whitemane's blood was there," Rainbow said.

"I've looked and looked for it," Remna muttered. She shook her scarlet head. "I found nothing. Not like you did."

"Well..." Rainbow shrugged. "Maybe it all dried up when I touched it."

"Impossible—"

"Or maybe I just imagined it. Either way, enough of Whitemane's essence was there for me to get a wake-up call. Look..." She sighed, slicking her short bangs back. "What does it matter? We've got a lot of crud to deal with on the horizon... heh..." She bore a bittersweet smirk, waving towards the cascading sheets of water below them. "And with only one horizon left, that means something, don't you think?"

Remna slowly turned around to gaze at Rainbow Dash. Her eyes looked lifeless.

"Lemme guess..." Rainbow moaned inwardly. "I'm about to get another 'holier-than-thou' lecture on the banality of 'mortal humor.'"

"Have I... truly been of assistance to you, Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow did a double-take, visibly taken back by that sudden inquiry. "Uhhhh..."

"Bard and Wildcard pulled you out of the Quade. Mortuana and Kepler set you on the right path." Remna's green eyes hardened. "Ariel, Logan, and Flynn have protected you at all times since... and even a few ponies and griffons under my sister's influence sacrificed their livelihood to ferry you further east."

"You... restored my body when I was nothing but a bloody pulp, Axan..."

"Only because I had reduced you to a bloody pulp in the first place." Remna's voice growled ever so slightly. "Aside from exterminating Nevlamas at a key moment, how exactly have I gone about ensuring the safe and secure journey of the Austraeoh?"

"You totally kept me from freezing my butt off south of Wyvern Point!" Rainbow said. She shook her head. "Look... Axan... mistakes have been made, and we can debate your aloof tactics over the last two years until we're blue in the face. But... like... d-don't you think it's a bit late to be second-guessing the importance you've played in this whole shebang?"

"Ages ago, Rainbow, I made the lazy decision to remove myself from the pressures and politics of this dying world," Remna said. Her voice limped in guilty, fuming breaths. "It was a defeatist attitude... and as soon as I isolated myself and my brood... I died... along with this world." She gazed tiredly at the empty, clattering vials suspended beside her. "If I bled, I suspect I would be as dry and lifeless as these vessels."

"Shouldn't all immortals have gone through a mid-life crisis millennia ago?" Rainbow bore a cynical smirk. "Heck, Verlax did! And look at what it did to her!"

"Rrrrrrrrrr..." Remna growled with sudden, draconian fervor. "This is not a jovial matter! I pledged myself honorably to Mortuana and I've yet to accomplish anything!" She sighed, her voice lowering to a calmer tone. "The universe of Urohringrs needs the Austraeoh... and the most pivotal thing I've ever done is murder you."

Thunder rolled.

"Look, Axan..." Rainbow kicked at the granite floor, sighing. "Take it from me... I know a thing or two about dealing with bad decisions." She gulped, gazing off at the nebulous cosmos lingering beyond the edge. "More like I know a thing or two or three or four." She shuddered. "And every time I do something horrible... the only way to get back from it—I've discovered—is not to constantly obsess over it. Doesn't stop me from obsessing anyways, but—point of the matter is—I eventually get over it. Because I have to. And... guess what?" She smirked hopefully. "I always end up doing something spectacular and awesome that more than makes up for the mistakes."

Remna slowly nodded. "By that logic... you've yet to make even worse mistakes than the things you've committed so far."

Rainbow shuddered slightly at that.

Remna cocked her head to the side. "How do we know that this 'carefully thought-out' engagement with the Rohbreddenites isn't your next mistake?"

"Jee..." Rainbow rolled her eyes. "Thanks for the vote of confidence."

"You are putting the Herald and Nightbloods—the Austraeoh's most precious commodity of protection for this very moment—at unnecessary risk for the moralistically noble goal of protecting the denizens of Bleak's Plummet."

"So kill me for wanting to leave the crud in my wake way better than I found it, Axan!"

"No doubt you will make it in one piece to the far end, but what of your companions? If they perish, then you will have nothing to protect you against the chaotic elements of the Dark Side—"

"Well those are the risks we have to take!" Rainbow Dash snarled, her hairs bristling. Her tail flicked with an angry blur. "That's what it means to be a mortal! And I'm sorry that you can't understand that!" She leaned back, shivering slightly as her breaths calmed. "You say that you feel like you haven't contributed much, Axan. Are you sure that's really how you feel? Or maybe it's that you haven't taken as many risks as you would like to?"

Remna stared solidly at her. "I trusted you to be the salvation to this world, Rainbow Dash," she said in a quiet tone. "Even after what you did to me and my brood... I followed you. I believed in you." She swallowed. "A Divine such as myself doesn't know a greater risk than that to take."

Rainbow bit her lip.

"You were doing 'villainous things' long before you ever stepped into Ledomare, Rainbow Dash... much less Rohbredden." Remna breathed. "Perhaps the one risk that you must take is to accept the ruthlessness deep inside of you. It will get you farther than I ever could. And maybe... just maybe... in imparting such wisdom to you, I will have finally done my part."

By now, Rainbow was facehoofing. She groaned in a dull breath. "Y'know, Axan... the more and more you sound like Verlax... the more I wonder if I've failed you..." She sighed. "And maybe even failed Mortuana."

Remna blinked.

"Mmmfff... whatever." Rainbow turned tail in a huff. "Things are gonna start heating up soon. So... j-just be ready, y'know? That's all I ask, Axan. Be ready." And she trotted briskly away.

Remna said nothing. With a calm breath, she turned to gaze once again at the vials. Her violet ears twitched to their gentle percussion. Meanwhile, darkness lingered ever so thickly beyond.

PreviousChapters Next