• Published 8th Dec 2015
  • 1,722 Views, 63 Comments

Just One Little Lie - PonySage86



Rainbow needs a favor. It's a simple little problem, no big deal, Honest.

  • ...
5
 63
 1,722

Filly Swap

Early morning sunlight shines in from a tiny slit open in the curtains, this light stretches across the room and lands directly on the eye of a sleeping fashionista, with minor effort Rarity flutters her eyes open and props herself up in bed. Blinking drearily she drags herself out of bed and heads into the bathroom.

After her morning grooming regiment Rarity stands in front of her mirror as she brushes her mane into the proper position, as she brushes her eyes fall upon the bandage on her cheek, hesitating for a moment the bandage is wrapped in her blue aura. Holding that position for a couple minutes Rarity eventually drops her aura and goes back to brushing, the bandage still on her cheek. But as she brushes her mane it suddenly hits her.

"I kissed Rainbow Dash!" Rarity gasps, the previous night flooding back into her mind. The show, the after party, Rainbow taking her out, the cloud, the kiss. Everything! She drops her hair brush in shock.

"I can't believe it." Rarity whispers, then she gasps again. "Oh no, I didn't even talk to her about the kiss, what must she be thinking? What if she thinks I'm interested in her?" Rarity worries, she knows Rainbow knows she likes stallions but given what happened last night it'd make sense if the other mare was starting to get her hopes up, Rarity had to talk to her right away. She should have done it last night but she'd been so tired she immediately went home with Sweetie Belle.

"RARITY!" Speaking of whom, Rarity hears a young filly calling from downstairs. "YOU UP YET!?"

"Just a minute Sweetie!" Rarity calls down as she finishes her brushing, deciding to speak to Rainbow Dash the first chance she gets she heads down stairs.

When she reaches the first floor of the Boutique to find her sister she's caught off guard by her appearance, Sweetie looks rather different. Her hair is one solid deep purple color, her white fur is now orange and she has wings instead of a horn. Rarity now realizes it's not her sister at all.

"Scootaloo?" Rarity asks with a raised eyebrow. "What are you doing here? Were you the one calling for me?"

"Yeah that was me." Scootaloo answers. "And by the way, you don't need to call me 'Sweetie', I don't think our relationship is intimate enough for that." Rarity looks away in embarrassment.

"Wait hold on." Rarity says as she faces the filly again. "Then where is Sweetie Belle?" Scootaloo giggles uneasily and looks away.

"Well..."

RAINBOW'S CLOUD HOUSE

"RAINBOW DASH!" An excited fillies voice can be heard from the ground below. "ARE YOU AWAKE!?"

"I am now." Comes the grumpy mumble of the annoyed Pegasus, she'd been looking forward to sleeping in today, given the late night before hand. But not wanting to disappoint Scootaloo the exhausted mare drags herself out of bed and heads outside to look over the edge. She's surprised to see a little white dot below her instead of an orange one.

"Sweetie Belle?" Rainbow Calls down to the filly, who waves in response.

"Hi Rainbow Dash!" Sweetie Belle says happily.

"What are you doing here?" Rainbow shouts down to the filly, not really caring if their loud conversation bothered anypony.

"I was hoping you could help me!" Sweetie calls to her. "I'm running errands today and I was wondering if you could come with!"

"I don't know..." Rainbow says hesitantly.

"Please!" The filly pouts. "I'm helping Rarity today and I don't wanna let her down!" Sweetie Belle just smiles when a cyan blue shape lands in front of her. Rainbow looks at the filly, a hint of amusement in her magenta eyes.

"I know your playing me." She informs the filly. "But OK." She gestures with a wing. "So get leading, I don't know what we're doing."

"Right! This way!" Sweetie says as turns around and begins leading the older mare with a skip in her step.


CAROUSEL BOUTIQUE

"You're 'Swapping'?" Rarity asks with a raised eyebrow. "What does that mean?"

"See, the thing is, I think Rainbow Dash is the most awesome pony ever." Scootaloo begins. "And Sweetie Belle thinks the same thing about you." Rarity can't help but feel flattered at that.

"So we decided to swap for the day and see whose really cooler." Scootaloo explains.

"I see, so Sweetie Belle is going to hang around Rainbow Dash all day." Rarity looks at the filly. "Which means that you."

"I'm gonna hang out with you all day." Scootaloo proclaims. Rarity gives a little smile and shakes her head.

"Thought so." The fashionista says as she turns and begins walking to her studio. "I just hope you don't regret this."

"I'll be fine." Scootaloo assures confidently. "So what are we doing?"

"I'm just going to work on some dress ideas of mine." Rarity explains. "I don't have any orders right now and I'm waiting to hear about the show, I figure keeping myself busy is a good idea." She faces the filly. "You're welcome to sit and watch me work, it'll be nice to have somepony to talk to."

"Sure." Scootaloo says with a shrug as the two ponies enter Rarity's work room.

PONYVILLE STREETS

"So what are we up to?" Rainbow asks as her and Sweetie Belle walk down the street.

"What would you wanna do?" Sweetie asks her curiously.

"Aren't you running errands?" Rainbow says in an accusing tone. Sweetie faces forward and doesn't make eye contact.

"Yes, yes I am." She says quickly, she suddenly spins and points to a nearby store. "There! This place sells fabric, I've been here with Rarity before, we'll start here!"

"You got it." Rainbow says as her and Sweetie head inside. They immediately begin looking through fabrics of all kinds and Rainbow is completely lost.

"What do you think of this?" Sweetie asks as she holds up a sky blue fabric. "It's good right?" Though she looks unsure.

"That's cool I guess." Rainbow shrugs. "I dunno. Did Rare give you any instructions on what exactly to get?"

"Nothing specific." Sweetie says without looking at her. "Rainbow Dash, can I be honest with you?"

"Rare didn't send you on errands did she?" Rainbow guesses as she stands next the filly, neither facing the other as they observe the fabrics in front of them. "You're not hard to figure out kid."

"No she didn't." Sweetie admits. "I wanted to do something special and surprise her but I don't have any money so I brought you with." Sweetie explains, she looks at Rainbow through the corner of her eye. "Rarity's the best big sister ever but I'm not like her, I don't know anything about this stuff."

"You want a cutiemark that lets you be like Rarity?" Rainbow asks as she observes the downcast filly. "But you're no good with fashion?" At that the little unicorn nods. "I get the feeling."

"You do?" Sweetie asks skeptically.

"Can you keep a secret?" Rainbow asks as she drops her voice to a conspiratorial tone. Sweetie nods and leans toward the mare to hear her better.

"If I hadn't gotten this cutiemark." Rainbow indicates the one on her flank. "If I'd gotten a boring weather mark and ended up just like my mom, I wouldn't have complained."

"But you've always wanted to be a Wonderbolt." Sweetie says in confusion.

"My mom wanted to be a historian." Rainbow says simply. "But now she's a weather mare but you know what? She's happy, the smile she gets when her weather is sent out to be enjoyed by ponies is awesome."

"Dreams are nice." Rainbow shrugs. "But if you spend to much time dreaming about what you think you want, you might not realize you don't need it to be happy.."

"Does that really work for you?" Sweetie asks. "You dreamed of becoming a Wonderbolt and you became a weather mare but you did fulfill your dream eventually." Rainbow nervously laughs and scratches the back of her head.

"That's true, but." Rainbow raises a hoof. "IF I hadn't I'd still be happy because." Rainbow suddenly stops as she turns to address the filly completely. "OK, Philosophy time is over, my head hurts. All I'm trying to say is that you don't need to be just like Rarity to be happy, her influence can make you the mare you'll be when you grow up but just because your not a fashionista like her doesn't mean you can't be like her when you grow up. But what really matters is what'll make you happy when your older, whether it's fashion or singing or whatever. Got it?"

"I think so." Sweetie says with a smile. "Thanks for trying to cheer me up Rainbow Dash."

"Now come on." Rainbow insists. "You wanna do something nice for your sister? Let's focus less on something she likes cause honestly she sees this stuff all the time. We'll get her something you like, hows that sound?"

"OK!" Sweetie chirps as they head out of the store, a new spring in her step.

CAROUSEL BOUTIQUE: RARITY'S STUDIO

Rarity had supplied Scootaloo with a stool topped with a pillow, it would have been comfortable to sit on but the young Pegasus decided to lay on it instead, her head hangs off the side of the stool as she lays spread out upside down watching Rarity work.

"So... This is... Fun?" Scootaloo inquires as Rarity makes alterations to a Blue gown she's working on, The fashionista does not turn to the filly as she responds.

"I find it fun just so you know, this is my passion after all." Rarity explains calmly as she inspects the dress, trying to think of what it's missing.

"Your passion? What's that mean?" Scootaloo asks as she flips upright, now curious.

"How to explain." Rarity taps her chin with a hoof. "I suppose the best way to put it is that your passion is what's most important to you, it's what drives you. If your passionate about something you could do it for hours on end and it never feels like a chore."

"Oh, cool." The filly says simply. "Does that mean Rainbow Dash is my passion?"

"No I don't think that's quite right." Rarity taps her chin again. "Your passion is generally more of an activity than a pony. You can feel similar feelings for a pony and that's a different kind of passion but it's called love and devotion."

"I get it. I still think Rainbow Dash counts for me though." The filly shrugs, her look becomes inquisitive. "Have you ever felt like that about a pony?"

"I thought I did once." Rarity shivers. "But he turned out to be far less than I'd imagined." Rarity gestures sharply to the filly. "Let that be a lesson to you Scootaloo, always be sure what you feel is love and not some silly flight of fantasy." Rarity looks away and coughs in embarrassment. "But to answer your question, no I've never really felt that way about anypony."

"Not even Rainbow Dash?" Scootaloo asks and Rarity nearly chokes on air. For a moment she puts a hoof to her lips, staring at nothing and lost in thoughts. She suddenly shakes her head and continues looking over the dress.

"That is... different. I care deeply for Rainbow Dash and all of my friends but that is yet another kind of passion, closer to family than say a special somepony." Scootaloo just flips upside down again and frowns.

"Talents, special some-ponies, family and friends. That's a lot of different kinds of passion." Scootaloo mumbles. "Being a grown-up is complicated."

"You have no idea Darling." Rarity sighs, she taps a hoof impatiently as she takes a final look at her dress. "Ugh, this gown is far to simplistic. There must be something I'm missing." Scootaloo flips upright again and gazes at the dress, her face contemplative.

"Well, it's like the sky or something right?" She asks.

"It's sky blue yes." Rarity says in confusion.

"Why don't you add clouds or something?" Scootaloo ponders outloud, a smile bursts onto her face. "OH! OH! Give it a cape! A long white cape like a jet stream! OH! And then cut it in half so it's like two Pegasus flew by while racing!" Her excitement unexpectedly grows as she talks, gushing over her idea. Rarity looks at the filly before returning her gaze to the dress.

"Like two Pegasus flew by while racing?" Rarity thinks to herself. "The two halves of the cape would be their trails. I could add some white frills to the ends, some patterns of white on the side. It could look like the clouds are parting as the racers zoom past." Rarity blinks in amazement. "A Dress that tells a story."

"You have quite the imagination, I think I'll take your advice on that." Rarity says happily as she addresses the filly. "In fact if I sell this gown I'm giving you part of the profits."

"REALLY!?" Scootaloo exclaims. "That's awesome!" She knows Rarity's the Element of Generosity but she wasn't expecting that.

"I thought you'd like that." Rarity chuckles as she begins working on the dress again. "I was surprised to see you at the show last night, did you have a good time?"

"It was pretty cool." The filly says as she hangs upside down. "Not really my thing but Rainbow Dash made it cool."

"Yes of course." Rarity smiles to herself as she makes sure not to look at the filly. "You know Rainbow Dash had fun, she quite enjoyed being a model."

"What? No Way!" Scootaloo exclaims aghast. "Did she tell you that?"

"She didn't have to." Rarity says happily. "I could tell." Her look turns distant but the filly doesn't see. "She was radiant."

"Yeah well, Rainbow Dash can make anything cool." The filly defends, she then quirks an eyebrow. "Do you like her?"

"What?" Rarity asks as she turns around, surprise on her face.

"Do you like Rainbow Dash?" Scootaloo asks again. "Like, Like Like?" Rarity narrows her eyes at the filly in suspicion.

"Did Pinkie Pie tell you to ask that?" Scootaloo blinks in confusion.

"No, why would she?"

"Nevermind." Rarity mumbles as she turns back to the dress. "I'd rather not talk about Rainbow Dash right now OK?"

"K." Scootaloo says as she stretches out to relax. "So what's with the bandage?"

"There was a mishap with my magic." Rarity says quickly. "It was nothing, I'm fine."

"Oh, alright." Scootaloo says, Rarity not seeing her face has become downcast. "So um... Think we should add anything else to the dress?"

"Let's try not to over design it. It's fine as it is." Rarity responds, a moment later she sighs and lowers her head. That had been a touch snippier than she'd intended.

"She just wants to talk. I shouldn't be dismissing every topic so quickly." Rarity berates herself. "Scootaloo I just have a bit on my mind, I hope I didn't upset you."

"I'm OK. I'll stop bothering you if you want." The filly offers, and Rarity frowns at herself. She really hadn't meant to make the filly sad, Rainbow would never forgive her if she didn't do something.

"You're not bothering me." Rarity assures the filly as she turns to her. "If you bothered me than Rainbow Dash would bother me and she truly doesn't. At All."

"What does that mean?" Scootaloo asks in confusion.

"Well you and Rainbow Dash are not really that different. You're more alike than you think." Rarity explains, while it's her true opinion she also knows comparing the filly to her idol will turn her mood around and does it ever.

"I'm like Rainbow Dash!?" Scootaloo exclaims loudly. "How!? How!?" She stands up on her stool and hops up and down. Rarity giggles as she tries to get the filly to sit down again.

"Well let's see, you're both very determined, you've got that never give up attitude you know?" Rarity begins. "You both love showing off and helping your friends. You're both confident but still need support from time to time." Rarity giggles again. "Honestly you're like a tiny Rainbow Dash, you both even found an older mare to teach you flying." Rarity continues smiling as she turns back to the dress. "She even used to be just like you."

"You mean Rainbow Dash couldn't fly either?" Scootaloo questions, that didn't sound right.

"No Rainbow Dash was a natural, she used to be-" Rarity stops suddenly, she nervously looks at the filly. "She uh... Used to be a sweet little filly just like you." Rarity hoped her cheesy line had deflected any suspicion and the goofy grin on the filly's face seemed to mean it'd worked.

"Just like me?" The excited filly squealed in joy. But her eyes widened as her mind latched onto a particular thought. "Just like me? Like, exactly like me?"

"Uh...." Rarity wasn't sure how to respond, the filly seemed to take her silence to mean her thought was correct. Scootaloo's mouth falls open as her face takes on a look of Disbelief.

"Rainbow Dash was an Or-" Rarity suddenly stands up perfectly straight and looks at the filly with a forced smile.

"Scootaloo! Could you be a dear and help me?"

"Uh... With what?" The surprised filly asks.

"It's the silliest thing, I just realized I don't have enough white silk for the gown." Rarity says quickly, using her magic to move the visible white silk into a hiding spot before the filly notices it. "I'll get plenty myself later but I need just a bit more to finish, do you think you could run down to the store and get some for me?" Rarity levitates a little bag with some bits in it over to Scootaloo who accepts it slowly.

"Sure, I can do that." Scootaloo agrees after a few moments.

"Great!" Rarity exclaims. "I'll write down the address, if you get lost ask Applejack or Pinkie Pie to help you, they know this town well. Tell the mare at the counter that Rarity sent you for white silk, she'll help you out." Rarity gives the filly a slip of paper as she pushes her out of the room. "Be safe have fun!" Rarity closes the door behind the filly and a moment later she has her back pressed against it as she slides to the floor.

"That was close." Rarity thinks to herself with a relived sigh. "That's definitely not something I want her to find out from anypony but Rainbow Dash herself."

Rarity stands up and walks over to the dress, she can't work on it or Scootaloo will know she lied about the silk so she decides to just look and envision what the completed garment will look like. Absently her hoof reaches up and touches her bandage lightly before quickly returning to the floor.

CANTERLOT: THE SUNRISE RESTAURANT

"I was actually rather surprised you accepted my invitation." Hoity Toity says with a smile to the Mare across the table from him, who simply tilts her hat a little in response.

"Trixie was surprised you offered." Trixie replies dryly. "Now Trixie assumes you had business you wished to discuss with her? Make it quick, Trixie has a magic lesson to teach in about an hour."

"Of course, I won't waste your time."

"That remains to be seen." Trixie interrupts. Hoity just continues.

"Your magic at the show was incredible, I was blown away." Hoity compliments.

"Trixie could see the audience, Everypony was." The Showmare huffs. She levitates her drink to her lips.

"Exactly, I could use magic like that in my business, I was hoping I could hire you." Hoity explains.

"Hire Trixie?" Trixie asks in surprise, lowering her cup to the table.

"Of course, I'm prepared to offer you a generous amount in payment." Hoity insists. "I'll even provide lodging within the city."

"That sounds rather generous." Trixie mumbles as she stares blankly into her cup. Tilting her eyes up one locks eyes with Hoity while the other is obscured by her hat. "What do you get out of this? A one mare lighting crew? Or perhaps you have some ulterior motive?"

"I don't know what your implying but I don't appreciate it." Hoity huffs. "But I assure you I have no other motives, I simply see a talented mare I believe I could help by doing business with."

"Naturally." Trixie says as she plops down into her chair, she lazily uses her magic to slosh around her glass. "You don't even know who Trixie is."

"Should your past influence my decision?" Hoity asks, now curious of this mare's story.

"Maybe." Trixie shrugs, Trixie raises up and places a hoof on the table. "But it hardly matters, Trixie won't be accepting your deal."

"And why is that?" Hoity asks with a raised brow.

"Rainbow and Rarity hired Trixie despite the bad blood between us." Trixie explains. "Trixie couldn't betray that kind of trust by working for anypony else ever."

"I suppose I can respect that." Hoity says with a shrug, admitting defeat.

"Good, Trixie needed your approval." Trixie responds sarcastically, causing Hoity to raise his eyebrow again.

"Are you always this hostile?" The Business stallion asks curiously.

"Not anymore." Trixie says as her eyes lazily scan the Restaurant. "And not openly."

"Did I offend her?" Hoity ponders to himself. "No, she's been giving me a frosty look since we met at Sapphire's mansion. Perhaps a deal I made in the past negatively effected her family?" Hoity inspects Trixie as he sips from his glass, trying to remember where he'd seen the combination of silver hair and violet eyes before. "Could she be-?" Hoity is pulled from his thoughts by a screaming voice nearby.

"Hoity! Trixie!" Sapphire Shores calls as she makes her way through the restaurant, she stops in front of their table and catches her breathe. "I have important news."

"Sapphire? Whatever could it be?" Hoity inquires. Sapphire takes a deep breath.

"The reviews of the show are out." Hoity and Trixie open their eyes in surprise.

"So soon?" Trixie questions. "Every critic in Canterlot was there, are you saying every single one went home and worked through the night to get the review out?"

"That could be a good thing." Hoity says with a thoughtful expression. "It could be they were so excited they simple had to get their thoughts down."

"Sort of." Sapphire explains. "The reviews are overwhelmingly positive." She says happily, though both ponies can tell theres more.

"There is one problem." Sapphire almost whispers before looking at Trixie. "And I'm afraid it concerns you, Rarity and Rainbow Dash."

Trixie's eyebrows knit together into an expression that shows she's ready to explode at any moment. Sapphire swallows heavily before speaking quietly, ensuring only Hoity and Trixie hear her.

"WHAT!!?" Both Stallion and Mare erupt with fury, startling every other patron in the restaurant, Sapphire cringes before their anger.

"Don't shoot the messenger." Sapphire pleads meekly.

PONYVILLE: OUTSIDE SUGARCUBE CORNER

"What do you think?" Sweetie asks to the older mare walking beside her.

"Think you got a pretty great gift package there." Rainbow says happily as she looks over the filly. She has two saddlebags around her body, one holds a package of Rarity's favorite treat as well as her favorite flower, Carnations. The other bag holds a special gift Sweetie picked out earlier. "Rare is gonna love it."

"Thanks for helping me Rainbow Dash." Sweetie says with a smile, Leaping to give the Ace flier a quick hug to make her point. "I couldn't have done this without you."

"It was no trouble kid." Rainbow waves off nonchalantly. Sweetie looks at her with a knowing smirk.

"I'll make sure to stress how great your help was to Rarity, she'll be so flattered maybe she'll give you a kiss." The filly didn't think her sister would go that far for such a simple gesture but she wanted to see Rainbow's reaction. The mare in questions reaction was to clam up as her face tinted red. "You're not hard to read either." Sweetie says in a sing song voice. "You like my sister." She teases.

"Guess theres no hiding it from you." Rainbow says while rolling her eyes.

"Nopony can hide from my shipping prowess." Sweetie brags.

"Not sure what that means." Rainbow says before beginning to whisper. "But could you not tell her? I... I'm trying to build up to it."

"My lips are sealed." Sweetie promises as she zips her lips. Her eyes then wander over to a pony along the street, a unicorn mare levitating her groceries behind her.

"Something wrong?" Rainbow asks when she hears the fillies forlorn sigh. Following the fillies gaze Rainbow makes a connection in her head. The older mare immediately walks over to the Apple family's stall with a confused unicorn following her.

"Hey Jack, I need some apples." Rainbow tosses some bits onto the counter. "However many that gets me."

"Sure thing Sugarcube." Applejack says as she gives Rainbow a bag full of apples, the Ace Flier turns to her companion.

"Come on Sweetie Belle, Let's take a walk." Rainbow says before she starts walking, Sweetie Belle just nods as she begins following. Unbeknownst to the two ponies, a much older mare is watching from a distance away.

"Well-" Caregiver muses to herself. "This might be worth looking into." Ever so slowly the ageing pony begins following the young mares.

Soon Rainbow Dash and Sweetie Belle find themselves in a field just outside Ponyville, Sweetie had sparked a conversation along the way.

"It's just, I know the stuff we try might not get me a Cutiemark but it's so much fun. Besides we could always get lucky." Sweetie explains as she walks beside Rainbow.

"Yeah, I get it." Rainbow says as she leads the filly to a nearby tree. "If you had to pick a cutiemark, what would you want it to be?"

"I guess I don't know." Sweetie shrugs. "I like singing but I think if that was my special talent I'd have gotten my cutiemark already."

"Cutiemarks can be tricky sometimes." Rainbow says thoughtfully. "Remember Applejack? She's a farmer but she didn't get her cutiemark from farm work."

"That's true." Sweetie says slowly. She looks around the area with a raised eyebrow. "So uh, what are we doing here?"

"It's story-time kid." Rainbow announces. The filly just sits down and looks at her expectantly. "There was a time when I was younger where I was having trouble with my flying and my mom wanted to help me. I didn't have to ask her, she just knew, so she helped." Rainbow takes on a nostalgic look. "she was always like that, teaching me, there when I needed her, even if I didn't think I did."

"She sounds sweet." Sweetie sighs happily.

"Yeah, she is." Rainbow says with a smile. "Anyway,so that's why we're here."

"Huh?" Sweetie asks in confusion. "You're gonna help me? With what?"

"You have trouble with your magic right?" Rainbow inquires.

"Yeah." Sweetie admits. "I'm not very good at it. I don't think you can help though."

Rainbow stares at the filly with a blank expression, grabbing an apple from her bag she inspects it carefully before wordlessly tossing it at Sweetie Belle.

"Ow!" Sweetie whines as the apple is impaled on her horn. "What was that for?" Sweetie yanks the apple off her horn and it plops onto the ground.

"That didn't hurt." Rainbow says as she lobes another apple directly onto her horn.

"Well yeah but it's not fun." Sweetie says irritably as she throws the apple off her horn. "Why are you doing that?" This time she dodges the apple as it flies lazily through the air.

"You'll thank me someday." Rainbow states simply as she throws another apple. Sweetie jumps and grabs the apple with her own hooves before throwing it back at the mare.

"For what?" Sweetie asks as she watches the apple fly only to be caught by Rainbow Dash and tossed back at her. "Playing catch?"

"Something like that." Rainbow says as she catches Sweetie's toss again.

The two ponies stay that way for awhile, tossing the apple between each other. Sweetie Belle begins to giggle as she catches the apple before throwing it with exaggerated tricks and flips which ultimately miss their target by a mile. Rainbow Dash keeps up with the fillies antics by doing spins before throwing her apple and on occasion she'd fly way up only to drop the apple down, Sweetie would run to avoid the apple as it splats on the ground. Sweetie is a giggling mess by the time the bag runs out.

"OK." Rainbow says seriously. "Last Apple."

"I got it." Sweetie says confidently as Rainbow tosses the apple to her, she catches it and tosses it back. Rainbow catches her toss and grins as she holds the apple in her hoof.

"Alright, I'm making this one count." Rainbow flicks her hoof and the apple flies up a little before falling back down onto her hoof. Rainbow smirks at the filly before winding up with her hoof and launching the apple towards her.

"Wait!" Sweetie shouts as the apple flies to fast, she panics and flings her forehooves over her eyes and cringes.

A second passes, two seconds pass, three seconds pass. Still nothing happens. Sweetie risks peeking out of her hooves and her eyes go wide, the apple floats in front of her surrounded in a pale green aura, identical to her eyes. Sweetie tilts her head and the apple moves along with her, she sits there stunned for a minute before with a thought, the apple falls to the ground no longer covered in her magic.

"I... I did that?" Sweetie whisper in disbelief.

"Sure did." Rainbow says proudly. "Sometimes all you need is instinct, I had to make sure you were relaxed first though."

"Wasn't that sort of dangerous though?" Sweetie asks with concern. "I won't tell Rarity if it was but I'm curious."

"Come on." Rainbow scoffs. "I wasn't gonna hurt you." Rainbow indicates the apple and Sweetie looks at i, she'd moved it to the side when she'd tilted her head and now it was right in front of her which means it'd have missed her before she stopped it.

"You tricked me." Sweetie giggles, she looks at Rainbow Dash with a soft gaze. "Thank you though."

"No problem Squirt." Rainbow chuckles, Sweetie gasps with a smile.

"That's what you call-" She's interrupted by Rainbow ruffling her hair.

"And now I'll call you that too Squirt."Rainbow says, her ears perk up when she hears another voice from behind her.

"Nicely done Rainbow Dash." Comes a raspy elderly voice, turning around Rainbow sees Caregiver looking at her. "Somewhat unorthodox but well done." Caregiver inspects the filly behind the mare before chuckling. "Is Scootaloo not enough? You want to get another one?" Rainbow blushes at the comment.

"No, no. This is Rarity's little sister. I was just helping her out today."

"Well, I still like what I see." Caregiver says with a content smile. "You make me hopeful for Scootaloo's future."

"Really?" Rainbow asks with a huge grin.

"I was going to wait to tell you this. Since I know you've been busy recently." Caregiver says slowly. "The final paper work is being filled out, everything will be set in a couple days."

"Are you saying what I think you're saying?" Rainbow asks with a shaking voice.

"Make sure Scootaloo's room is ready, she'll be moving in, in a couple days." As soon as Caregiver finishes talking she finds herself wrapped up in a large hug.

"Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!" Rainbow chants happily. Caregiver taps Rainbow's shoulder and the excited mare lets her go.

"Be careful, my bones." Caregiver says as she catches her breath. A young fillies gasp catches the attention of the speaking ponies.

"YOU'RE ADOPTING SCOOTALOO!!?" Sweetie Belle shouts at the top of her lungs. Rainbow chuckles nervously.

"Yeah, it's supposed to be a surprise." Rainbow explains, Sweetie Belle nods.

"I understand." Sweetie assures her. "I won't tell anypony."

"I'm confident you'll be a good mother Rainbow Dash." Caregiver chuckles at the ace flier's nervous look. "Fine, Guardian."

"Thanks again Caregiver, you need us to help walk you to the orphanage? Or will you be OK on your own?" Rainbow inquires with concern.

"These bones may not be worth much." Caregiver jokes. "But they can make that trip, I'd appreciate the company though." Caregiver looks around the field before sitting down and leaning against a tree. "After you two clean up the mess you made with those apples." The elderly mare instructs.

"Well." Rainbow muses as she turns to Sweetie Belle. "If nothing else it'll give you a chance to practice your magic." Sweetie Belle gives a playful salute.

"I got this Rainbow Dash." Sweetie assures as her face contorts slightly, with some effort she sparks up her horn and grabs the last thrown apple, it wobbles as it hovers over to Rainbow, the Ace Flier opens the apple bag and allows Sweetie to drop it in. Slow and steady the pieces of apple around the field begin to be picked up.

CAROUSEL BOUTIQUE: RARITY'S STUDIO

Rarity stands there minding her own business when the door to the studio is flung open and Scootaloo zooms in on her scooter. The filly approaches and skids to a halt, having been going to fast the sudden stop causes the filly to careen off her scooter and almost land on her stool she sat on earlier. Scootaloo over shoots and flies right into Rarity, knocking both ponies to the floor.

"Scootaloo! You must be more careful!" Rarity reprimands, only to then blink in confusion. "Wait this is the second floor, how did-" Rarity shakes her head. "Nevermind, at least you got the fabric." Rarity says positively, noting the fabric roll Scootaloo has with her.

"Yep, told you I could handle it." Scootaloo says confidently, she then tilts her head and inspects the unicorn in front of her. "Oh wow, cool."

"What?" Rarity questions, she then freezes as it occurs to her, the feeling on her cheek has changed. The bandage has begun to slip off after Scootaloo's impact, and the fashionista can tell that there would only be one reason Scootaloo would say something was cool.

"No." Rarity whispers, she stands there for a moment before suddenly bolting out of the room.

"No, no, no." Rarity mumbles as she tears into her bathroom and runs to the mirror, her magic rips the bandage off as she hops onto the counter with her forehooves and focuses intently on the mirror.

Rarity feels a sting on her eyes but ignores it, her cheek holding all her attention. There, plain for all to see is a pink mark contrasting with her white fur, the scar begins just a little past her mouth and runs along her cheek and stops a bit before her ear. Rarity stares at herself in the mirror, completely speechless. After what feels like a lifetime she finally reacts, letting go of the counter she collapses onto the ground and curls into the fetal position. Rarity sits motionlessly as a sob occasionally shakes her entire body.

"Rarity?" Scootaloo's voice echos in the dead silence of the bathroom, The fashionista peeks out at the filly, tears welling in her eyes before falling down her face. "Are you OK?" The filly asks carefully.

"No." Rarity's voice cracks. "I'm not OK darling." Rarity's body rocks with another sob. "All my life, do you know what my goal has been? Beauty. To make the world beautiful, to bring out the beauty in ponies. I want to help ponies find their style, what makes them beautiful and of course to make myself beautiful, flawless even."

"Now look at me." Rarity wails as she looks straight at the filly in front of her, the scar clear to see. "This is not beautiful, this is not a simple blemish that can be hidden with a little make up. This scar is a mark that will never go away. How can I bring out the beauty in ponies when one mistake has ruined my own?"

"Well uh..." Scootaloo mumbles as she walks forward, she takes a seat right in front of the distraught mare. "I'm not really an expert on beauty or fashion but." Scootaloo shrugs. "I don't think it's you being pretty that makes other ponies or your dresses pretty. "Scootaloo immediately adds to that. "Not that you aren't pretty! You are! It's just uh..."

"It's OK." Rarity says as she puts a hoof on Scootaloo's head. "I know you're trying." Despite herself, Rarity smiles, touched by the fillies attempt to make her feel better. Rarity uses her other hoof to wipe a stray tear off her un-scarred cheek. "I can't force this insecurity on a filly." Rarity coughs to steady herself. "So you said that... That it looks cool?"

"Yeah, it does." Scootaloo says with a nod. "Makes you look tough you know?" Scootaloo looks Rarity directly in the eyes. "But Rarity, if your worried about your work-"

"You don't-" Rarity stammers. "-You don't need to. I'll be fine."

"It's important." Scootaloo insists. "It's just, you said you like making ponies pretty right?"

"Yeah, I do." Rarity agrees.

"Well, are they pretty because you're pretty?" Scootaloo inquires, to which Rarity raises an eyebrow.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm just saying that a scar doesn't make your dresses any less pretty, look at that one in there." Scootaloo indicates the direction the studio is in, clearly meaning she's talking about the dress Rarity was working on earlier. "You had the scar when you were working on that one and I think it looks great, your dresses are always pretty OK?" Rarity looks stunned for a minute as Scootaloo's words sink in.

"She has a point." She thinks to herself. "I could be ugly as sin but my work would still be the same. Obviously I'm not ugly-" She pauses mid thought. "I'm... I'm not ugly... I'm still me, I'm still Rarity."

"Perhaps-" Rarity muses. "This is a chance to reinvent myself? Try a new look?"

"I dunno." Scootaloo shrugs before smiling. "You're over thinking it." Rarity can't help but laugh as the filly parrots Rainbow's flight lesson back at her.

Rarity stands and turns to look herself over. Now with a scar and running make-up she was quite the sight in the mirror, quickly using a cloth to wipe away the offending mess from her face she then turns to look at Scootaloo, a new look of respect on her face.

"She actually calmed me down." Rarity thinks in amazement. "I shudder to think what would have happened if I'd been alone for this." To illustrate her point Rarity actually shudders when she considers how willing she'd been to quit fashion all together in her desperation.

"You OK Rarity?" Scootaloo asks, her voice still shows her concern.

"I won't lie to you Darling." Rarity shakes her head. "I'm still a little distressed, but thanks to your help I should be fine in awhile."

"I'm glad." Scootaloo grins. "Hey maybe I'll get my Cutiemark in 'helping upset ponies'."

"What like a Psychologist?" Rarity questions. "I suppose that's always possible."

"Anything?" Scootaloo asks as she looks at her own flank, she then pouts as she looks at the ground. "Nope."

"Personally I think you seem rather talented with your Scoot-" Scootaloo shakes her head and interrupts Rarity.

"No, that's not it." She says quickly. "Come on, why don't you finish the dress?" Scootaloo says as she walks back towards the studio.

"Scootaloo." Rarity calls, the filly stops and turns to her. Rarity looks at her quizzically. "Why wouldn't you want riding to be your talent? You're very good at it."

"It's just-" Scootaloo squirms where she stands. "It's just not my passion OK? You said that was important earlier. I like riding my Scooter but I'm not passionate about it." The filly seems to be upset, without my information Rarity can't help her so she takes a shot in the dark.

"You're going to fly Scootaloo, I believe that." When Rarity speaks The filly's eyes go wide. "Getting a cutiemark for something that moves on the ground wouldn't mean you won't learn how."

"So why haven't I?" Scootaloo asks miserably. "What's wrong with me? Why is it so hard for me?" Scootaloo blinks in confusion when Rarity hugs her.

"I don't know." Rarity whispers. "It's complicated and I wish I knew." Rarity pulls back to look her in the eyes. "Have faith, I know you'll do it someday." Rarity smiles. "Remember, Rainbow Dash believes in you too."

"Thanks." Scootaloo gives a confident grin. "I won't let you guys down."

"I know you won't Sweetheart." Rarity smiles fondly. "Come on, I'll finish that dress now."

Soon both ponies find themselves back in Rarity's studio, Scootaloo sitting on the cushioned stool once again, occasionally changing position. Rarity hums and makes light conversation as she works on the dress, not allowing herself to think about the mark on her face.


CANTERLOT: CITY PARK

"You really need to go Trixie?" Ace pouts as she focuses her magic to maneuver a crate between some obstacles that had been set up. She smiles as she sets the crate down carefully. "We're having a grand time, can't you stay a smidge longer?"

"Of course." Trixie scoffs. "Trixie doesn't care what bothers other ponies, she told you she was going to give you this lesson and Trixie isn't going anywhere until she's done." Trixie claps her hooves. "Practice Drill! Shuffle gambit!"

Ace's horn sparks with a vibrant pink aura as the crate she was levitating earlier pops open and three top hats and a bottled water fly out. The hats are placed with the holes facing upwards, the bottled water is opened and placed inside a hat. All three top hats flip down and move around wildly before stopping, one hat is covered in Ace's aura and floats up to her head. Ace looks at one of the hats on the ground and it poofs into smoke revealing nothing under it the same happens to the other hat on the ground. Ace looks up at the hat on her head as it too poofs away to show the bottled water sitting safely on her head, not having spilled a drop the whole time.

"Not bad." Trixie compliments. "I remember you used to soak yourself with that one."

"I've improved." Ace smiles. "I've practiced everyday just like you told me."

"Glad you seem so motivated." Trixie says as her mind wanders to another unicorn she knows. "It's good to have a motivation, even if it's a height you may never reach."

"Whats that mean?" Ace questions, lifting the bottle off her short silver hair. "Are you suggesting there's a unicorn more talented than you? Cause you know it's bad to lie."

"You always know what to say." Trixie laughs. "Flattery gets you everywhere with Trixie."

"It's my specialty Love." Ace jokes as she levitates another bottle out of the crate into Trixie's waiting hoof. "Cheers."

Trixie chuckles and watches as Ace takes a big drink from her bottle. She suddenly claps her hooves. "Practice Drill! Shuffle Gambit!"

Ace spits out her water in surprise before frantically levitating the necessary materials for the trick over to herself, the hats having reappeared in the box. Trixie watches in amusement as Ace's flustered expression becomes a pout as the water spills out of the hat on her head.

"Ex-excuse me." A meek voice mumbles from nearby. Trixie turns around and sees a light brown Pegasus mare in a maids gown sitting on the ground nearby, her forehooves nervously stroking her long auburn braid. "You are Miss Trixie right? You work with Miss Rarity and Miss Rainbow Dash?"

"Yes, Trixie is Trixie." Trixie answers with confusion heavy in her voice, not having seen this mare before.

"Thank goodness, I've been looking for at least one of you." The mare says as she stands up, she lowers her body into a deep respectful bow. "I'm... I'm sorry..."

"You're sorry?" Trixie raises an eyebrow. "In what way have you wronged Trixie?" The mare begins stammering.

"Well I-I'm not sorry- I am b-but I'm n-not the one who did anything. It's my master he's sorry. Well I-I don't think he is b-but I just thought s-some pony should...Should."

"Trixie gets it." Trixie interrupts with a raised hoof. "What did this, 'master' of yours do?" Trixie asks, frowning when she says master.

"I'm sorry." The mare mumbles. "I-I can't s-say. I'm not even supposed to know. I-I over heard him talking. I know I shouldn't have done it but I couldn't stop my ears, I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologizing to Trixie?" Trixie asks in confusion, she holds up her hoof again to prevent the inevitable I'm sorry the mare was about to utter. "So your 'master' has done something to Trixie but you won't tell Trixie what they did. Trixie also assumes you won't tell her who they are." The mare just shakes her head and apologizes again. "You just came to apologize? What does that really accomplish in this situation?"

"Nothing, I know." The mare mumbles as she stands up. "I-I just thought that someone should say it. I'm sorry for wasting your time." The mare bows once again before turning to walk away.

"Hold on." Trixie says and the mare freezes like she's been turned to stone. "At least tell Trixie your name."

"It's... It's." The mare turns her head to look at Trixie. "Spiffy- No." She shakes her head and turns away again. "It doesn't matter, I have to go. I'm sorry." The mare walks away, any other attempts to make her stop are met with an apology as she leaves.

"Who was that Trixie?" Ace asks while tugging on Trixie's cape to get her attention.

"Trixie doesn't know." The showmare mumbles. "But Trixie has a bad feeling."

CAROUSEL BOUTIQUE: DINING ROOM

"You really don't mind Rarity?" Scootaloo asks as she sits at the table while Rarity prepares a snack for them.

"Not at all Darling, I owe you a treat for all of your help today." Rarity assures as she finishes up a salad for each of them. "I likely would have never taken that bandage off without you."

"Everypony will have your back." Scootaloo insists from her seat, a moment later the salads are placed on the table and Scootaloo begins to eat excitedly

"Mmh." Rarity mumbles as she takes dainty bites. The two ponies eat in silence until they hear the front door of the boutique open.

"Rarity! I'm home!" Sweetie Belle's singsong voice carries into the dining room. Scootaloo hops out of her chair in excitement.

"Sweetie Belle!" Scootaloo cheers as she runs out of the room.

"Scootaloo." Rarity huffs. "You're not even close to done." Rarity looks at her plate before sighing and following the filly. "Scootaloo, you shouldn't leave the table...until...you're...finished..." Rarity's voice falters as she walks into the room and sees her sister and Rainbow Dash. As their eyes fall on her she suddenly feels very self conscious.

"Wow." They whisper in unison. Sweetie Belle runs up to her sister.

"Does that hurt?" Sweetie asks with concern. Rarity shakes her head.

"No, no I'm OK." Rarity assures her sister, she then looks past her at her friend. "Thank you for watching her today Rainbow Dash." The Ace Flier just coughs and looks away as pink colors her cheeks.

"I know this must be strange to see." Rarity says as she gestures to the scar. "But I'm going to try and, well try and make the best of this."

"Hey Sweetie Belle." Scootaloo pokes her friend to get her attention. She gives a small smile when Sweetie looks at her. "I'll admit, Rarity's kinda cool."

"So is Rainbow Dash." Sweetie says with a giggle She then tugs Scootaloo's hoof. "Come on, let's go play!"

"Ahem." Rarity interrupts before the fillies leave. "Scootaloo you didn't finish your salad."

"But Rarity-"

"Scoots." Rainbow calls. "If Rarity made you something you should finish it OK?"

"Yes Rainbow Dash." Scootaloo concedes, she then turns to her friend. "Hey, why don't you get a plate too and we can share?" Sweetie Belle nods in agreement and the two run off together. It's then that Rarity notices the saddlebags on Sweetie's side.

"What are those?" She inquires, making Sweetie turn around.

"Oh! I almost forgot!" Sweetie says excitedly. "These are for you." To the surprise of two ponies in the room Sweetie Belle's horn lights up and the items in one of the bags flies out and goes over to Rarity. Rarity grabs the Flowers and Treats with a smile.

"You got these for me? And you've been practicing your magic?" Rarity says in amazement.

"Rainbow Dash helped me today." Sweetie explains. "And there's on more thing." Sweetie smiles as she brings out another item from the other saddlebag. Once Rarity has it in her hooves she identifies it as a music box, a delicately designed one at that.

"It's special." Sweetie says with a nervous expression. "Try it." With Sweetie's insistence Rarity does as she's told and starts up the music box. The ballerina pony on top begins to spin as the music starts.

La

La La La

La La

As the soothing, chiming song begins to play a voice accompanies it, there are no real lyrics just the voice and the music creating a beautiful harmony. It doesn't take long for Rarity to realize the voice belongs to her sister.

"Thank you Sweetie Belle, it's lovely." Rarity says as she reaches out to wrap her sister in a one hoofed hug. "You and Scootaloo go have fun. After you eat the salad I mean." The fillies leave together as Rarity places all her gifts delicately on the couch. She then turns to look at Rainbow.

"Darling, I-"Rarity begins but she isn't sure what to say and her voice falters.

"So uh, I see you took the bandage off." Rainbow chuckles halfheartedly. "You have a panic attack?"

"Sort of." Rarity admits. "Scootaloo helped me through it though." Rarity catches Rainbows gaze and frowns. "Please don't stare Darling." She scolds.

"Oh no, that wasn't like bad staring." Rainbow insists. "It was good staring, I mean." Rainbow chuckles nervously. "You actually did it."

"Did what?" Rarity asks.

"Got more beautiful." Rainbow says with red cheeks. Rarity's cheeks become tinted as well.

"You really think that?" Rarity asks carefully.

"I do." Rainbow says with a nod. She gestures to her own cheek. "You work it, I mean, I don't know if you knew this but scars are hot."

Rainbow's words make Rarity's cheeks flush, causing the scar to stand out like a beacon. But then Rarity finds her words from earlier.

"Darling I need to talk to you about last night." Rarity says nervously. "I'm, well I'm afraid I may have given you the wrong idea."

"Huh? Oh!" Rainbow's eyes go wide. "No, no I understand."

"You do?" Rarity asks. "It's just that I was so caught up in the moment. I'm afraid my actions could effect our friendship."

"No really, I get it." Rainbow insists. "I mean my straight friend kissed me after we danced on my families secret cloud." Rainbow shrugs both arms and laughs forcefully. "How could I possibly read anything into that? Hahaha."

"Rainbow Dash." Rarity says hesitantly.

"I'm kidding." Rainbow says with a dismissive wave of her hoof. "I really am fine. Promise." Rainbow's face becomes downcast. "But if you want to stop this thing we-"

"NO!" Rarity shouts, she then recoils, surprised at how sudden that had been. She attempts to make the embarrassment leave her face before continuing. "I mean, it's OK. I agreed to do this until your mother is out of the hospital. I don't plan on going back on my word on that." For a reason Rarity can't figure out, her cheeks continue to redden, The scar once again stands out prominently as blood flows through it's cheek.

Rainbow nods with a smile and takes a step towards Rarity, who in turn unconsciously takes a step backwards. One of Rainbow's eyebrows raise slightly but she doesn't show any sign of confusion.

"What are you afraid of?" Rainbow thinks to herself, though on the outside she shows only an understanding smile. "Thanks for your help Rare, I promise to try and not make this anymore difficult than it has been."

"I appreciate that Darling." Rarity giggles. "So, how was your day with Sweetie Belle?"

"Great, your sisters alright." Rainbow says before looking around cautiously. "Something else happened but I'll wait till Scootaloo leaves to tell you. It's big news."

"Can't wait." Rarity says with a big smile. She puts a hoof to her chest. "I had a good day as well, Scootaloo is something else. That little filly really could do anything she sets her mind to, That's what I believe."

Rainbow nods in agreement and the mares share a comfortable silence, Rainbow breaks the silence as she thinks of something.

"Well come on." Rainbow gestures with her hooves. "As much fun as I'm having, I think we've left those girls alone in your shop long enough."

"It has been awfully quiet." Rarity says thoughtfully, both mares walk together and look into the kitchen and find Scootaloo's plate empty but both fillies are also gone.

"What you wanna bet their in trouble?" Rainbow inquires without looking at Rarity.

"Let's just get to the studio before they hurt themselves." Rarity says before both mares walk further into the Boutique.

Unbeknownst to the mares, as they search for their fillies a train approaches Ponyville, the train holds a grumpy showmare that taps her hoof impatiently. Her magic practice earlier that day had distracted her and lightened her mood but now her foul mood from the restaurant was returning.

"Idiots! Their all Idiots!" Trixie fumes as her teeth grind together. A faint, nearly invisible red glow surrounds her eyes for a split second before vanishing, Trixie's scowl deepens. "We need to fix this, or Trixie might get revenge on her own."

Author's Note:

First things first, I am so sorry for how long this took. I procrastinated and allowed myself to become distracted very easily. So, sorry for how long this chapter took All I can do is hope it was worth the wait. Now onto the Author's note.

Remember when this story was just about Rarity pretending to be Rainbow Dash's marefriend? I feel the story has gotten a little more complicated since then but this is the direction I'm taking so we'll see how it goes. If you missed Morning Dew in this chapter she'll be back soon.

If you thought Sweetie Belle's magic aura color was weird there's a head cannon behind it. That being that ponies magic is identical to their eye color, examples are Twilight and Trixie whose eyes are purple as is their magic. Rarity's eyes are blue and so is her magic. There is an exception in Princess Celestia whose magic is a golden yellow but since she's essentially a sun goddess that makes sense. In Sweetie Belle's case her eyes are green and there for so is her magic. I might be wrong but it's called head cannon for a reason.

And yeah, Rarity now has herself a scar, I hope I did this OK I'm kinda worried I didn't do it well enough. If I didn't explain it's size well enough it essentially starts in the center of the cheek and moves outward, it doesn't touch her mouth or ear so I hope you at least have your own idea of how it looks.

And on one final note, things are heating up a little but you'll have to wait till next chapter to see what exactly is going on. I hope to get the next chapter done faster than this one. As always thank you for reading and any input is appreciated.