• Published 5th Apr 2016
  • 1,069 Views, 21 Comments

Miss Fluttershy - Nikiroo



A lost changeling, blasted away into the Everfree forest, tries his best to get back to the hive. But when he finally manages to escape that dreadful place, it is only to be found by... Fluttershy!

  • ...
1
 21
 1,069

First Change

Getting out of bed, Fluttershy yawned then flexed her wings a couple of times, as usual.
She had a good night of undisturbed sleep and fell asleep almost immediately, this time.
This was probably linked to yesterday evening.

Shining Eyes and her talked a bit more, then she allowed him to reorganise the kitchen's supplies while she had a look at Twilight's books.
Of course, they kept talking throughout all of it; him to ask about some supplies he could not identify, her to confirm or infirm what a specific book said about changelings.

It doesn't sound like much, but having somepony to talk to during the evening was already a lot for Fluttershy.
It was almost like when her friends came to visit her, and she truly cherished those moments.

Taking care not to make too much noise, she went downstairs.

“Good morning, Miss Fluttershy.”

“Hello, Shining Eyes.”

Once again, he was already up and about before her.

She petted his lowered head.

“How do you feel today?”

“Much better. I can already walk without feeling pain any more.”

“That's good! Maybe we could go for a small walk after breakfast to exercise your legs?”

“...If it is all right with you?” she added hastily.

“Of course.”

The pegasus relaxed a bit at the answer.

“But now, let's get some breakfast.”

Leading the way, Fluttershy went to the kitchen.

Even though all her supplies were reorganised the previous evening, she had no difficulty in finding everything she needed.
It seemed that everything was at its place.

Using up the rest of a bag of flour for the pancakes, she saw Shining Eyes taking some notes on a scroll.

“Is everything all right?”

“...Yes, Miss Fluttershy?”

Noticing that she looked at his scroll, he added, “I'm just making sure the inventory is up to date so I don't have to do it tonight.”

“Oh. Thank you. It's kind of you,” she answered, still working the pan.


The breakfast was as good as yesterday, and Shining Eyes still couldn't believe how good that was.
So much better than moss and mushrooms...

He was also getting used to the petting. The love she gave him just during the times she petted his head could more than easily cover him for a day.
And it's not like he was lacking in love, even without these.

Her hive was small, but she was a strong Queen.

Once they both ate their fill, he followed Fluttershy while she checked on all her residents, and no long after, they were ready to leave the cottage.

He checked himself thoroughly before turning to the pegasus.

“Miss Fluttershy?”

“Yes?”

“Should I disguise myself before we leave?”

After all, while he was still a bit sore and could certainly not exert himself too much for now, most of his injuries were healed and his carapace was shining like new.
Shapeshifting would not be a problem any more, especially with all the love he had in reserve.

Fluttershy looked unsure, though.

“Are you sure it won't tire you too much? You still need to recover... Of course, if you want to, then it's good, too! You know better if it's okay for you... And... and-maybe-I'd-like-to-see-it, too! But only if you are sure!” she said with some excitement in her voice.

She was not clear, but if she wanted to see, he would gladly oblige.

Thinking it would be best to keep his wings so he could follow her airborne if needed, he made his choice.

Green flames surrounded him for a second, and when they disappeared, a lithe black pegasus stood in his place.


Surprised by the green fire, Fluttershy jumped a few steps back.

“That's... impressive.”

She was excited to see her changeling... well, the changeling she was taking care for, healed enough to do that.
Moreover, it was the first time she could see such a transformation without having to fear for her life at the same time.

She took her time to check the disguise, but could not find anything out of place.

“If I didn't know, I could not tell you are a changeling.”

“Thank you, Miss Fluttershy.”

She then petted his head, smiling, before passing through the door.


Fluttershy quickly checked the sun position.
The small walk turned out to be longer than expected.
But since the weather was pretty nice and Shining Eyes didn't seem the least bit tired, she was not in a hurry to get back to the cottage.

She then noticed the den she was looking for.

“Do you see this one?”, she asked, pointing to the den, “This is where Missis and Mister Ferret spend the winter.”

Shining Eyes nodded.
Since the first time she mentioned something about the area they were wandering in, from the pound near her cottage where carps were plentiful to the path in the forest leading to Harry's cave, he looked interested in everything he ha to say about it.
So, Fluttershy did not miss her chance to speak about those things she loved here.
It was not everyday she found somepony so quiet and willing to listen to what some consider her 'ramblings' about nature.

A few hours later, after some more wandering and a couple of questions from Shining Eyes, they went back to the cottage for dinner.
With his help, she made sure all of her residents were fine, and prepared their dinner — he still took the time to note everything that needed to be restocked.

But before they could start making their own meal, they heard a visitor.

*knock* *knock*

Fluttershy jumped back, startled by the noise.
Immediately, Shining Eyes took position between her and the door, hissing menacingly.
The pegasus quickly put a wing around him, shushing him down.

“Don't worry, it's just somepony knocking at the door. Can you just... change back into a pony? ...If you don't mind?”

Fluttershy nervously went to the door, green flames erupting behind her.
When she was sure Shining Eyes was ready, she opened the door ajar to check who was there.

“Yes?”

“Hello, Fluttershy!”

“Oh, hello, Twilight”, she answered shyly, “How can I help you?”


Shining Eyes was very quiet, not wanting to bring any undue attention on him.

Twilight Sparkles.
The mare who rooted out Queen Chrysalis during the failed invasion.
The Sun's protégée.
The Element of Magic.

Even if he knew from the start that was an ally of his new Queen, it was a very different thing to actually see her in front of him.

What surprised him even more, though, was the reason she came for.
Not that he would complain, but he was led to believe she was at the top of the hierarchy as far as the Element Bearers were concerned; yet, she came here to bring his Queen an offering in the form of books.

It seems a lot of what he knew about ponies was based upon misconceptions.

Twilight finally addressed him.

“So... Shining Eyes, right?”

He gave a quick look at Fluttershy, who was sporting a non-helping, nervous smile.

“Yes?”

“Please don't be shy! I'm Twilight Sparkles, the librarian here, in Ponyville; I'm also doing some research on the Magic of Friendship, on account of Princess Celestia!”, Twilight said, excited.

“I'm sure we can be friends!”

She paused a bit, getting a quick look at the first check mark on the scroll she was hiding on her, trying to be discreet about it.

“What is your name? ...Oh. Sorry. I know that already.”

She looked at the next check mark.

“What made you come here?”, she asked instead, showing an obviously forced smile.

Shining Eyes was slowly skittering back to towards Fluttershy, who answered by putting one of her wings around him again, before whispering to him, “Shh... It's okay. She's a friend.”

Thanks to that, he felt more secure. Praise the Queen.

Twilight was taken aback by her move, but before she could inquire about it, Shining Eyes replied.

“I'm just resting here from some wounds. I help with the animals where I can, and I maintain some inventory lists.”

Twilight immediately forgot what she wanted to ask.

“Lists, you say?”

Her smile was not forced, this time.


Watching the two discuss — or, more accurately, Twilight speak and Shining Eyes doing his best to answer her — Fluttershy was afraid Twilight would notice he was a changeling.
After all, she was still not sure she should tell her friends about it, and certainly not before asking his opinion.
But here was not a lot she could do about it, so she just stayed there, listening to the both of them.

At some point, Twilight came back to the subject she was visiting for, and turned back to Fluttershy.

“Did you already find out what you wanted to know about changelings, Fluttershy? Because I'd be glad to help you look into it, and I'm sure we can find everything you need to know in the books you took yesterday and those I just brought in!”

“We... We read some of them”, Fluttershy answered nervously.

“Oh, Shining Eyes is helping you on this, too? That's great! So, what did you two find about them?”


Everything was going well.
Fluttershy sighed out of relief.

Twilight was still acting as usual, and was actually impressed at what the two found out in so little time; though she then had a very long explanation about how to source one's work and how to write references, and why it was important for any serious work.
Of course, she didn't know Shining Eyes knew a lot more about changelings than what was in the books...

Since Shining Eyes was making some tea in the kitchen, Twilight turned to Fluttershy.

“Tell me, Fluttershy, do you still intend to come to the picnic tomorrow?”

“Well... I promised I will...”

“Will you invite Shining Eyes? He looks very tense, almost like he was waiting for the Princess to come any minute.”, she giggled a bit at her own remark before continuing, “I'm sure some relaxing and meeting new friends would help him!”

So she was still pushing herself so much for her studies... Or maybe to please Princess Celestia. That could be the reason, too.
Fluttershy was not sure if even Pinkie Pie was more energetic to try and make new friends, these days.

Still, she remembered when Rarity discussed her picnic plans with them.

“But... wasn't this supposed to be a girls-only 'sortie'?”, she asked, trying to pronounce the foreign word the same way Rarity did.

“Not really. Spike will be there, too. And I'm sure the girls won't mind.”

The pegasus thought that maybe *Shining Eyes* would mind, though.
He was only just getting used to go outside again, after all.

“Well... I'll ask him. He still needs some rest, too.”

“Sure.”

At that point, Shining Eyes came back with the tea.


Twilight finally left a couple of hours later, giving Fluttershy all the scrolls she compiled with them about the changelings.

“See you tomorrow!”

When he door closed, Fluttershy sat down where she was, exhausted.
Shining Eyes immediately went to her.

“Are you all right, Miss Fluttershy?”

She giggled softly and petted his head.

“Don't worry. I'm just tired after all this 'research'.”

As she was speaking, her stomach growled loudly.

“Let... Let's make dinner”, she said, blushing at the noise.