• Published 3rd Feb 2017
  • 321 Views, 2 Comments

To Lament The Future - Draco Loco



Seeing the future is not always a blessing.

  • ...
 2
 321

The Vision

Fire. There has always been fire, ever since that day, all those years ago. In the fire, flickering with the flames, are visions. Vision after vision, showing me what I must do to keep my ponies safe. In one of them I see a letter. I cannot make out the signature, but I can read the rest with absolute clarity. I have read that letter enough times to commit every word to memory. I anticipate the day I receive that fire-born missive, for good and for ill.

Countless visions play before me, and in none of them do I see a face, or hear a name, marking them as irrelevant for the time being. As I watch the visions play out, the fires roar, and new images start to play, ones that terrified me to no end. I see ponies fighting, rioting, warring with each other. I see a stallion bludgeon a foal because it wouldn't stop crying, Cloudsdale turned into a weapon and attacking other cities, and hundreds of other atrocities. And in the background of all of this, three voices harmonizing in a malicious melody. My heart ached with every new scene.

That's enough! Show me what I must do to stop this!

And show me they did, and it scared me. Visions of me being distant and neglectful played before me. It is an uncomfortable, but not daunting role to play. I am scared, not because of the role, but because of who I must play that role for. Her yellow coat drenched in sweat and caked in dirt from days of excessively hard work, trying to earn what she already has. That fiery mane, once immaculately maintained, ignored in favor of late nights studying. Those teal eyes, once full of child-like wonder and innocence, hardened into something dark and cruel. And as I was shown myself confronting her in the library, I could take no more, and the world started to fade.


As her eyes opened, she became aware of the sensation of wind on moist cheeks. She wiped a hoof across her cheeks to dry them, gave a short chuckle, then looked up to the moon. "From your realm into mine, and I find myself asleep on my hooves again," she chuckled again, but it quickly turned into sobs, "Oh, dear sister, why must things be this way? It was my neglectfulness that led you down the path of darkness, and now I am to do the same with another I love? When you return, I will have the liberty to ask your forgiveness, for I was truly ignorant of your plight, but how am I to ask for her forgiveness?" She closed her eyes and lowered her head, tears streaming down her face.

She opened her eyes and grew a desperate smile. Looking back up, she said "What if I don't do as the visions say? Surely if don't, they will show me another way to keep everyone safe. A way were I don't have to hurt her." Her smile fell with a groan as she lowered her head and closed her eyes again with a sob, "Except I could never be so selfish as to risk the lives of millions for the sake of two."

A knock snapped her out of her musings. She exited her balcony into her bedroom and went over to the door. Opening it revealed a young filly, looking at her with concern, "Princess Celestia, are you alright?"

Celestia smiled down at her, "Of course, my faithful student. Why do you ask?"

The filly raised an eyebrow and said "Because the sun was supposed to be up ten minutes ago, and the fur on your face is matted, meaning you were crying. Plus, I heard you talking to someone, but there's no one in there with you."

Celestia chuckled, "Your skills of observation are sharp as always. I merely had an exhausting day yesterday and slept in a little. As for the tears, I had a bit of a nightmare." At the gasp from the filly, she waved a hoof dismissively, "Do not worry, young one, it is nothing you need concern yourself with."

"But what could give you a nightmare? And what about the talking to yourself thing?" the filly questioned.

It was becoming difficult to maintain the smile, but Celestia managed to maintain it as she answered, "The nightmare was in regards to something that happened a long time ago, and the talking to myself is a method I have long since used to calm myself."

The filly looked sceptical, but said "If you say so Princess. So you're okay?"

Her smile strained at that, "Yes, I'm fine. Why don't you head to the library? I will join you shortly."

The filly gave a smile at that and said "Alright, Princess." and walked off.

Celestia closed the door and let her smile drop. She started back toward her balcony, and with a spark, her horn was encased in a golden glow, and a manila folder, encased in the same glow, floated behind her.

As she stepped out onto her balcony, she looked towards the moon. "I am sorry, Luna, but it is time I put you to rest for the day," as her horn grew brighter, and the moon began to set, she brought the folder up and opened it, "And time to put this dream to rest, for good." As the moon touched their horizon, and the sun broke it, the folder ignited. As it burned, and the ashes drifted away on the morning breeze, her tear filled eyes never left the pages, looking at three words in particular: Certificate of Adoption. As the moon left the sky, the sun took its place, and their papers finished burning, Celestia said in a resigned tone "I'm sorry, Sunset."

Author's Note:

The idea for this came to me as I read a comment on another story.

Thanks go to EchoWing for helping me get past a block I was having with it, and Bulmapierce for helping me get it over that one thousand word mark.

As always, critiques are welcome.

Comments ( 2 )

Woo! Glad I could help!

Also, this was a sweet little story. Very sad, terribly so, but still sweet in its way. Poor Sunset...

Thanks for the comment, and the favorite.:twilightsmile:
Also, thanks for writing the story that got the comment that inspired this. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment