• Published 2nd Dec 2018
  • 1,885 Views, 229 Comments

Love's Lost Decade - Priceless911



Zeil, a changeling in love sets out on an incredible 10 year journey. Crossing blistering deserts, Frozen Mountain, treacherous forests, and unbelievable dangers. But is his journey merely an accident or was he fated to find what lies within him.

  • ...
3
 229
 1,885

PreviousChapters Next
Bk7/Ch7 The Last Knight of Lilith

Book 7 / Chapter 7
The Last Knight of Lilith
(Year ??, Month ??, Day ??)

Filled with fear, Zeil quickly opened his eyes as he quickly sat up and breathed heavily. In his panic, Zeil quickly looked around at his surroundings, the ground he was laying on was an old and worn cobblestone street that was warm to the touch by the overhead sun. All around him was an assortment of old ruins that once resembled a city. Some ruins were stationary buildings with walls and doorways with the wooden rooves and windowpanes rotted completely away. But most of the ruins were crumbled or barren foundations that could only prove that whatever caused this city to be deserted, came by force. Either way the ruined city that stood around him seemed all but empty and lifeless as Zeil sat down and tried to calm himself from his unknown fear. As he tried to breathe calmly, Zeil felt confused. First, he had no idea what he was afraid of or why he felt so terrified. Second, he his head felt fuzzy and any recent memories he had seemed to be a complete haze, and third, he had no idea where he was or why he was there. His last clear memory, was setting up camp near an open field for the night.

As he finally calmed himself down to think straight, Zeil decided to stand up as he looked closely at his surroundings. The ruins were very old, centuries or more by his own guess, but nothing about them seemed to answer any questions he had. Either way, there was something about them that seemed familiar to him. He couldn’t understand it, but part of him thought this was something he had seen before. As he tried to understand why the structures were familiar, Zeil approached one of the buildings that had a large empty window in the front as he placed his hoof against the wall and mumbled, “I’ve seen this before… a bakery? Or…” He shook his head in disregard, “Déjà vu?”
Putting it to the back of his mind, Zeil decided to start traveling up the street to find a place that seemed inhabited. As he trotted down the road, Zeil looked towards the center of the city to see the ruins of an old castle standing in the distance. This seemed more familiar to him as Zeil looked at the old structure and mumbled, “Why… does everything seem so familiar, I know I’ve never been here before… have I?”
As he trotted trying to remember, Zeil’s focus was brought to the cross reads ahead as he could hear voices just around the next turn. Curious Zeil trotted towards the closest intersection as he looked down the crossing road to see two ponies trotting towards him. One was young goldish colored mare with a black and grey mane wearing an explorer’s hat and jacket. The other was a much older faded red stallion who also wore an explorer jacket only his was old and worn with age.

The two ponies didn’t notice Zeil yet, as they continued up the road with the younger mare responding to the stallion’s previous statement, “So… she used the relic without knowing what it could bring?”
The stallion nodded, “Yes, the queen was concerned for her subject’s safety. So much in fact, that she decided that whatever power the minotaur wanted to take could be used to save her kingdom… However, the power the relic held turned out to be too much for her to handle. Rather than save her kingdom, she actually doomed them all to a temporal loop. One that forced everypony to relive the last week of Lilith’s existence… which included, the final invasion, and the execution of the entire kingdom.”
The mare looked at the ground in thought as she replied, “Whoa… how cruel is fate… to make a drastic move to save your kingdom, but instead doom them to eternal war.”
The elder stallion nodded, “The road to destruction is paved with the best of intentions. I heard that the day we were saved, but… it was after that I truly understood it.”
The mare asked, “So… when were you saved? And how?”
The stallion replied, “Well for me, it was about fifty or so years ago. But in actuality, the time is unknown. We all existed in a place outside of time and space and when it all ended we returned to when we became trapped.”

The mare persisted with determination, “But how did you return? Everything I’ve read and researched came up with empty mysteries and speculation. And none have even come close to explaining what happened to the relic itself.”
The older stallion smiled, “Patience my young explorer… everything in due time. True we were all trapped in an infinite loop, and with our memories being reset along with the start of each loop, none of us knew we were trapped to begin with. However at some point, King Matthias who wasn’t imprison during the first reset, found himself trapped in the loop along with us. And with his broken horn shorting out the magic that came with each reset, he was the only one knowing about the trap that we were in. But he alone couldn’t do what was needed to break the loop. It was only after a changeling found himself trapped in the loop that the two were finally able to solve the mystery and free everypony from the spell.”
The mare took out a notepad, “A changeling… strange he wasn’t mentioned in any of the texts. I saw some stuff about a zebra but then again, that reference was easily three centuries old. So… do you happen to know his name?”
The stallion nodded, “Yes I do… I myself called him by another moniker. But his given name wa-“

Before the elderly stallion could finish his sentence, he looked forward down the road as he saw Zeil standing there as he replied in shock “Zeil… is… is it really possible?”
Forgetting the mare was there, the elder unicorn trotted faster until he approached Zeil and spoke, “So… it’s true it really is you. And… you haven’t aged a day… I was worried I wouldn’t live to see this moment.” The stallion smiled as he spoke, “It’s good to see you again… Stripes.”
As soon as that was said, Zeil suddenly knew who he was talking to as he spoke, “C-Captain Rose?”
The elder stallion chuckled, “I haven’t been called captain in many many years, but it is good to hear it again… brings back memories, some of which are… less than pleasant. Now, I go by Professor Rose. Before I was captain of Lilith’s soldiers I was a geographer at a university gathering information on a curtain lost city. But enough about that, I’m sure by your expression, your confused as to why you called me that right?”
Zeil tried to think as he nodded, “Yea… for some reason… my memories are… fuzzy… I don’t know why but all I remember other than going to sleep in a tent, are… glimpses of… what seems like… a dream.”

The elderly professor nodded, “Or a nightmare. It’s common to have a small amount of temporary amnesia after returning from that other Lilith. But… like the rest, they should return in a few days or so… in the meantime, there is something I need to show you. Something that may speed up the process a little.”
As the elder stallion turned around, the younger Pegasus gave him an annoyed look as she spoke, “Um… can I have a little explanation of what’s going on here?”
Compass Rose smiled, “Oh… my apologies, I forgot you were here for a second.” He looked at Zeil, “Stripes, this here is the archeologist, explorer, and author, Daring Do Dazzle. Or you may know her by her pen name A.K. Yearling.”
Sighing in hopelessness, Daring Do replied, “You can call me Daring Do or Daring is fine. Anyways… who is this professor? What exactly is going on?”
Compass Rose trotted by Daring Do as he replied, “This is Sir Zeil. And, he is the answer to your question. Though more will be answered once we reach the plaza.”
As Compass trotted down the road quickly, Daring Do replied, “The answer to my question?”
Zeil added, “Sir Zeil?”

As they started trotting Compass Rose spoke, “So, Mr. Zeil… when did you wake?”
At first Zeil was confused but after thinking about the question he replied, “I guess… a few minutes ago.”
Compass nodded, “I see, was it just a few blocks over?”
Zeil nodded in confusion, “Um… yes… in the middle of the street.”
Compass nodded, “I woke at the same place. But it make sense, since we were at the same location when it all ended.”
Zeil asked, “When what all ended?”
Compass smiled, “The war… but, it’s better that you see it for yourself.”
Zeil asked, “See what?”
Compass continued, “What happens when one who is truly selfless stumbles upon a city in need.”
Confused, Zeil looked at Daring Do who only responded to his look with a shrug as the two continued following the elderly pony down the road.

After a few minutes of traveling the trio finally reached their destination which was an open plaza in the center of the city. As Zeil entered the plaza he started to recognize the area as he remembered seeing many ponies trotting through the open street doing their daily errands. However as he remembered this setting there was something in the center of the plaza that wasn’t present in these memories. In the center of the once empty plaza stood a large statue that stood almost twelve feet in height as the elderly pony led the two guest to the base of the monument. As the three approached the statue, Zeil observed the figure that was immortalized in stone. At first Zeil thought it was a cloaked pony however as he looked closely at the statue, he could see indentions in the worn stone that resembled stripes on the figure as the mare spoke in shock, “Its… it’s you Zeil. This statue is a statue of you.”
Zeil shook his head in disbelief, “But… how? And why?”
Compass Rose pointed at the statues pedestal as the three looked at some ancient writing, “Can you read this?”
Zeil looked at the text as he shook his head, “N-no… I don’t understand this writing.”
Daring Do stepped forward, “I do… it’s an ancient language that is lost to time. I’ve seen and studied it before so I can translate it.”

Clearing her throat, Daring Do approached the text as she tried to read it as best as she could, “The statue you see before you is an apparition of the great hero of Lilith. In Lilith’s final days, a great curse entrapped this city into an endless war spanning for thirty three and a half centuries. But thanks to the selflessness of this wondering changeling by the name of Zeil. Lilith was able to break free from its imprisonment and was finally laid to rest as nature intended. So… upon this ground, the proclaimers of this statue, King Matthias and Queen Anna of Lilith will hereby knight the changeling Zeil, and grant him the title of Sir Zeil of Lilith. Last Knight and hero to the Kingdom of Lilith. May this declaration stand for all time and greet him when he returns from the world beyond. So s- I think I’m saying this right… So saith the King.
After that was translated, both Compass Rose and Zeil looked to the statue as they both replied at the same time, “Long live the king…”
After that was said, Daring Do looked back at the two with confusion as Zeil placed his hoof against his head and mumbled, “Why… did I say that.”

Compass smiled as he replied, “Once your memories return, you will understand. Now let’s make for the keep. There is a few more things I need to show you.”
With that said, Compass Rose started towards the castle as both Zeil and Daring Do followed. As the trio trotted towards the castle ruins, Compass smiled as he spoke, “For all its worth… I’m sorry Sir Zeil.”
Zeil was confused, “What?”
Compass continued, “When I first met you, I had in my mind that I was a soldier and Captain of Lithian Soldiers. And in my caution… I was disrespectful and hateful to you. I just want you to know that, I’m not that type of pony. Usually, I’m a live and let live sort. I couldn’t harm a fly even if I tried. You proved that when you beat me in a fair fight.”
Zeil was surprised, “A fight? Us?”
Compass Rose chuckled, “If you would even call it that. The first time we met was on a battlefield. But you got by me and a squad of untrained civilians without even hurting anypony. I never knew anypony to be so… merciful and selfless at the same time. Especially in the middle of a battle when kill or be killed is nearly the only options.”

After hearing that, Zeil felt a little depressed as he replied, “I doubt that… if I am merciful at all… it’s because of… her.”
Compass nodded, “Ahh yes… this mystery mare of yours. I remember the queen mentioning her a few times, but… one to make a vow like yours… and strive to keep it… she must be an amazing changeling.”
Though Zeil was surprised Compass knew who he was talking about, he figured his missing memories would explain it as he replied, “No… she’s not a changeling… she is a zebra.”
Compass smiled, “Either way… She must be something to show such loyalty.” He looked ahead as they crossed under the castle gate, “Edelweiss… or, Matthias thought the same. It was his loyalty to his queen that allowed him to be so determined to save his kingdom. Seems you two were a lot alike.”
Zeil thought to himself, “Edelweiss… He… was an alicorn right?”
Compass nodded, “He was… you can learn more once I give you his message.”
Still clueless, Zeil sighed in hopelessness, “Sure… I guess.”

Shortly after arriving at the castle, Compass led the two into the large structure as they noticed that even though many of the rooms were in ruins, the main keep and most of the roofing still stood as the three entered the large corridor. Not long after Compass Rose led them into a large room with stone columns holding up an old wooden ceiling. Looking through the empty room which could easily be mistaken for a ballroom, Zeil immediately remembered where they were, “The throne room?”
Without responding Compass continued leading the two as they trotted to the side of the room and entered through a door that was hidden in the wall. As they approached the room, Zeil took one last look to the head of the throne room as he saw two old worn thrones that seemed to barely survive the passage of time. Smiling at the memories of those thrones, Zeil turned back to the side room as the three enters a slightly smaller room with a lower ceiling.

The room didn’t seem like much aside from its length with a large corridor at the opposite end, however with the desks, bookshelves, a single bed, and a few artifacts stowed in protective bins, it was obvious that at this time, this room was some sort of office or on-site lab. As they trotted through Compass Rose smiled, “So Miss Dazzle…”
Daring Do, we are both explores, there’s no need to be formal.”
Compass Rose nodded, “Right… tell me, you’re an archeologist right? What do you make of this room? What was it meant for when it was built?”
Daring Do looked through the room as studded the room’s layout. Looking past the furniture and decor, the mare replied, “The room is large, and right next to the throne room with an entrance that doesn’t interfere with the opposing room’s ambience. That and its connection to the corridor leaves me to believe it’s the servant quarters, right?”
Compass smiled, “A plus… that’s right, though for the past fifty years or so I have been using it as my quarters slash laboratory.”
He approached a stack of papers as he started sifting through them before replying, “Every generation or so, one of us who returns from that other Lilith chooses to stay here and watch over these ground in hopes of helping those who return after us. But the main reason there is always a guardian of these grounds… is to pass on this.”

After finding what he was looking for, Compass Rose pulled out a small frame of two sheets of glass that incased an ancient sheet of paper as he handed it to Zeil and spoke, “This is for you Sir Zeil, a parting message from Edelweiss… AKA King Matthias himself.”
Curious, Zeil looked at the sheet of paper as he saw a number of lines all written in the ancient language as he looked to Daring Do and spoke, “Um… Daring… a little help please?”
Daring Do sighed in hopelessness as she replied, “Sure, just don’t think this is all I’m good for.” She took the framed sheet of paper as she cleared her throat and read:

Sir Zeil
I hope this letter finds you in good health and in good condition considering its age when you return. I’ll let you know that what we both set out to accomplish was a success. It has been three years since I’ve returned from that alternate Lilith and four since I was trapped there. Since I returned unharmed, and I’ve seen a few do the same, it’s safe to assume you will also return with no wounds, I’ll be it, a little lost and confused, but it was only a week before my memories returned in full. Sadly, Lilith and my subjects were not so lucky. My Queen, and all who stood within Lilith’s walls during the first reset, did not return. The same goes for the minotaur army who were victorious in that initial charge. I cannot say what happened to them, nor can I say that their end came peacefully, but none were ever seen again. To this day, at least in my era, it has gone down in history as an unknown event that may never be truly be explained. Either way, for those trapped after the first reset, we’ve all returned unharmed and in our own era, though it was the year following. Everypony is saved, and, I have you to thank for that. If not for you, I most likely would have submitted my escape attempts once I discovered I was wrong about Dr. Grey. If not for your discovery or your assistance in the final fight, I’m sure the reset would have happened once more, and since I knew the truth, the relic would probably do something drastic such as bring back everypony, excluding me. It’s only a theory but luckily thanks to you, it never came to that.

My queen and my subjects can rest now, and as the last king of Lilith, I only have this to say. I have already journeyed to Eden, and proclaimed in front of the entire alicorn race, that Lilith has fallen, but not before I was able to knight the hero who saved it. So, I bestow this title upon you and hope you wear it with honor. In front of all who see the statue that is being erected in the plaza, I hereby knight you as the final knight of Lilith. So journey forth, Sir Zeil of Lilith. Travel home, and be with your love back in Equestria, and know that I will take its existence and all I’ve learned of history to the grave. After all, History did fine without my knowing, so it should do better with my silence. Also, should it find itself to be of use to you in the future. I’ve taken the liberty of writing down the recipe of the spell I use on my wife. I’ve also made sure to speak of the item we talked about in code so that none can replicate it in the future. After all, perhaps some magic is better left in the hooves of only the deserving. Thank you for being my final knight, and a great friend to my subjects, my queen, and myself.
May the titans smile upon you and yours.
King Matthias, First, last, and only King of Lilith.”

As Daring lowered the framed letter, all three in the room sat in deep thought as Daring Do looked at Zeil and spoke, “So, it’s true then… you saved Lilith.”
Compass Rose nodded, “Yes, and since the day I returned, I’ve watched over these grounds. I knew it was a long shot, but I was hoping that someday I would see you again… to thank you personally for saving us.”
Zeil put his hoof on his head as he mumbled, “But… I can’t remember any of it… wait… did he just say it was three years since his return but four since he was trapped?”
Compass Rose nodded, “Yes, all who return from that alternate Lilith, return the year following their entrapment.
Zeil’s eyed widened, “No… this means… it was a full year since I arrived here?”
Compass Rose nodded, “Yes, it was this time last year that you became trapped in Lilith. Which reminds me…”
Compass trotted to a footlocker and opened it before pulling out a saddlebag and continued, “I found this outside the city about a year ago. The food and perishable items have been disposed of but I managed to save everything else.”
As Zeil looked into the saddlebag, he recognized it and everything in it as his own. To include the Tome of the Mage. After seeing his things returned to him, Compass Rose spoke, “I hope you don’t mind, I read the letter in that book of yours…the one from the mage of Zebrica. And I understand you a little more because of it. Don’t worry I won’t tell anypony about who you’re supposed to become, but if you will hold that responsibility as well as you held yourself in that other Lilith, then you have my support, and my trust.”

Knowing what Compass Rose meant, Zeil nodded, “Thank you professor, I appreciate it.”
As daring looked over the second framed sheet of paper, she tried to understand the names of the strange ingredients as she spoke, “I… hope you don’t expect me to translate this too… I don’t think I’ve ever seen these words in writing before. Not that I can’t translate them, but it will take a little research.”
Compass Rose smiled, “No need, I have a translated copy that I’ve placed within your strange spell book. Though I was a little confused when he kept mentioning something that he called, a titan pearl?”
As that was said, Zeil remembered the conversation about using a titan relic to permanently change a pegasus into an alicorn as Zeil nodded, “I think I can figure it out… even if I can’t remember everything about what this spell is or does. Either way… I have to leave. If I’ve been here a full year, then… my journey lasted one year more than it should have.”
As that was said, Daring Do reread the letter to try to understand it a little better as a sentence caught her eye, “Wait a second… this part here, Back with your love in Equestria… Does this mean you’re on your way there?”

Zeil put on his saddlebag under his cloak as he nodded, “Yes, that’s why I need to leave now.”
Daring Do smiled, “Then you’re in luck, that’s where I’m going too.”
Zeil nodded, “Hmm, small world.”
Daring Do nodded, “Yes, so… why don’t we travel together?”
Zeil shook his head as he replied, “Thanks… but no thanks. I’m in a bigger hurry now and I’ll cover more ground on my own.”
Daring Do smiled with sarcasm, “Really… considering you only have about a week’s worth of ground left leaves me to believe your wrong.”
Zeil was confused, “What?”
Daring Do nodded, “To get to Equestria by hoof, we only need to travel west for a few more days till we reach the coast. From there it’s literally a boats ride away… and I’m assuming since you’ve been gone a full year, you don’t have a boat or tickets for one do you?”

Zeil thought to himself, “Well, no… but I-“
She continued, “I do… I’m going to meet a ship captain in Prance for a job. He is giving me and a VIP a ride back to Equestria and I’m willing to bet if I asked politely, he would give you a ride too for free.”
Zeil felt skeptic, “Nothing is free… I’m guessing you get something out of it?”
Daring Do nodded, “I will… all I need you to do, is tell me all about Lilith as your memories return. I want to know what exactly happened there and where better to hear it from then the horse’s mouth?”
Zeil wasn’t convinced, “And that it?”
Daring Do shook her head, “Well… no… ya see the captain I’m meeting doesn’t give free rides, so you most likely will be doing a little… bodyguard work for the VIP. Nothing a Knight like you can’t handle. All we would have to do is protect a princess for a few days.”
”A princess?”
She nodded, “Yes, a hippogriff princess to be honest. You say you’re guarding her, and your ride is paid for in full.”
Zeil asked, “And that’s it? The captain will give me a ride?”
Daring Do smiled, “Yep, the captain is like family to me. I guarantee you will have your ride so long as I’m with you.” She extended her hood, “What do you say Sir Zeil of Lilith, do you mind if I tag along with you for a bit? I always wanted to join a knight in a noble quest.”

At first Zeil wanted to say no, but as he looked at the mare’s extended hoof, he noticed the explorer jacket that the mare was wearing as he remembered the mages letter, and the warning about traveling with an explorer, met in some ruins. Remembering this warning, Zeil nodded as he replied before hoof bumping her extended hoof, “Nothing noble about my journey, but sure. I do need the help so, you have a deal.”
Daring Do smiled as she nodded, “Good, then I’ll expect you to tell me everything as you remember it. In truth, I’d hope to discover it myself to add to my writing, but I’m sure my readers won’t mind this as a small change of pace.”
Zeil was confused, “Readers?”
Compass Rose smiled, “Seems your journey here wasn’t in vain after all Daring. Since there is nothing left to show you both, you have full permission to explore the ruins as needed for your research.”

Zeil nodded as he replied, “Thanks… but no thanks. If it’s been a full year since I arrived then I need to leave now.”
Compass Rose smiled, “Then, I wish you luck in your journey.”
Zeil looked at the old stallion’s smile and he nodded, “Thanks, I can’t remember if we were good friend in the other Lilith or not, but I would say we are now.”
Zeil looked at Daring Do, “Are you ready to go?”
Daring Do nodded, “Sure, I wanted to look around a little more, but something tells me that I won’t be able to find out anything more from this place.”
Zeil nodded as he replied, “Then, let’s get going.”

As that was said, Daring Do and Zeil stepped out of the servant’s quarters and started trotting through the throne room towards the corridor. Before they made it to the doors, Compass Rose trotted to the two thrones as he turned towards the leaving guest as he called, “Stripes!!!”
Confused, Zeil stopped in his tracks as he and Daring Do looked towards the thrones as Compass Rose drew a hidden sword that sat behind the throne. As the Elderly stallion held the blade, he raised the sword in front of his face with the guard at eye level which was a royal salute of sorts. As he stood next to the throne in full salute, Zeil had a sudden vision of Compass wearing royal armor as the old captain called, “Sir Zeil of Lilith! Know that you carry the will, strength, and hope of Lilith on your shoulders! Carry it with honor, as you continue on your journey to unite with your true love. SO SAYITH… ALL OF LILTH!!!”
Standing where he would when he was Lilith’s captain, Compass Rose saluted Zeil as his eyes panned over the empty thrones, however as they did Zeil could see something he didn’t expect. Standing before the two thrones were vision of two. A pink mare wearing royal robes and a crown standing in front of the right throne. And standing before the left, was a familiar white stallion wearing his own royal robes and his crown as he stood smiling. As Zeil saw the familiar king and queen he mumbled under his breath, “Queen Anna… King Matthias…”
Barely hearing his words, Daring Do looked at him in confusion as Zeil called back to Compass, “Long Live Lilith!”
With that, Compass Rose and Zeil smiled at one another as the two soldiers nodded once more, before Zeil and his new companion turned around and left the ancient throne room.

PreviousChapters Next