• Published 16th Nov 2017
  • 3,464 Views, 145 Comments

Beyond Achlys - Snuffy



Three millions years ago, at very dawn of the starfaring era, the daughter of a powerful noble heads out into the galaxy. Ready to uncover the mysteries of the Milky Way, but she never expected her greatest discovery would be hidden inside a nebulae.

  • ...
19
 145
 3,464

Escalation

Celestia watched her former apprentice collapse into the guest sofa, lying facedown on a pillow, with legs and wings spread haphazardly out of the furniture’s boundaries. It didn’t take long before muffled snores were audible. Her old student had yet again overextended herself. Luckily, the energy of youth was easily replenished, and if fortune would allow it, they’d still have a few hours to rest. The pegasi guards following the alien had lost sight of it near the Everfree Forest and reported that it was undoubtedly heading for Canterlot.

She moved over to the window and looked down on her city. Torches moved between homes in the dark streets and alleys, as guards and volunteers informed the citizenry of the curfew now in effect. The process was going smoothly, but even Celestia didn’t know what would happen once the news spread of aliens roaming unchecked through their cities. If the situation were to escalate any further, the city bells would signal the beginning of the complete evacuation of Canterlot.

Celestia moved away from the window and took hold of her bedsheets, then pulled them over the sleeping Twilight. They had retired to her bedchambers after the emergency briefing, and now all they could do was wait.

What happened at the meeting worried her. Not what was revealed about the alien exactly, but her sister’s response to the revelation. Twilight had informed them of the alien’s claim that it was the one responsible for the destruction of the stars. Stormwielder and Blueblood had responded with disbelief and skepticism. The stars are too far apart to be simultaneously destroyed, they’d argued, and held on to the belief that there was an illusion spell blanketing the sky.

Celestia and Luna knew better. They’d not told anyone yet, but Luna had confirmed that the stars no longer existed. Her magic could reach their position, but even the location of the constellations was now nothing more than empty space. When Twilight told them the alien had caused it, she’d immediately tried to gauge her sister’s reaction. What she found, however, was the worst possible scenario. Her sister’s expression was an unreadable, vacant stare, and Celestia feared what laid hidden beneath it. They’d talked privately after the meeting, and Luna had coldly dismissed her worries before excusing herself.

Twilight let out a loud, unladylike snore.

Celestia giggled to herself, then with a wing moved Twilight’s mane so it wouldn’t get messy during her nap. No matter what happened tonight, so long as Twilight remained safe and happy, she would be content.

With little else to do, Celestia turned to the paperwork on her desk. The letters which needed signing were unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but if she lifted the spirit of a few of her subjects, then it was a task worth doing.

She retrieved her reading glasses and took hold of the one at the top of the stack. It was from a trade union, asking if the current crisis would allow for a higher percentage of food to be exported to neighboring countries. Celestia thought about it for a moment. The next harvest would be a bad one when so many farmers had abandoned their field to seek shelter in the shielded cities and towns, but Equestria’s food reserves were still the largest of any nation.

Celestia accepted the increase, but added an annex to the document, stating that prices needed to be fixed at last year's rate to prevent price gouging. Content with the answer, she let out a yawn before continuing with the next case.

The doors to her private chambers suddenly swung open, followed by a guard peeking in.

“Your Majesty,” the stallion whispered when he saw the sleeping Twilight, “the beacons on the gate are lit.”

Celestia dropped her quill, leaving an ink stain on the paper. It was too soon. How could the alien have traveled so quickly through rough terrain?

“Are our preparations complete?”

The guard nodded. “Nearly the entire city has been informed. West Gate and East Gate are prepared if an evacuation proves necessary. The mayors of nearby towns are expecting to receive evacuees.”

“Let us hope it won’t prove necessary.”


Helena walked along the packed dirt road leading to the city gate. Ponies were patrolling the battlements, but the torches they carried would only serve to ruin their night vision. Not that there would be any need for her to take the stealthy approach, as there was a significant gap in the shield and the gates were wide open. Stuck to pillars on either side were white flags dangling in the wind. A single pegasus held the entranceway, armed with what appeared to be a stone sword holstered to his back. The stallion hadn’t seen her yet and quietly stood there with a resolved pose.

When she appeared from out of the darkness, he unwittingly took a step backward and seemed to curse the fact that she startled him so. Though, he remained and waited patiently for Helena to approach him.

“Princess Celestia has granted you an audience,” he said when Helena finally stood in front of him. “If you follow me, I will lead you to the palace.”

Helena looked past him. There were only a few guards along the roadside leading to the central parts of the city, and all the houses were dark and quiet.

“Very well,” Helena said, amused. “Lead the way.”

The stallion simply turned and began to walk up the road at a measured pace, and Helena followed closely by.

“I’m surprised Celestia agreed to a peaceful meeting,” Helena said, mostly to start a conversation. “Unless you’re leading me to a trap?”

The middle-aged stallion mumbled to himself as they continued on the road. The pony guards all shied away when she came close, and from the houses, she saw curious heads with erect ears peer out from the unlit windows.

“Were you ordered not to converse with me?” she asked.

“No.”

“I noticed a statue matching the description of Celestia at the entrance, and also a dark one with similar features.”

“Princess Luna,” the stallion said and appeared ready to draw his sword. Helena sensed the stone weapon was more than it seemed, and wouldn't be surprised if she found that magic had enhanced it. ”Now answer one of my questions.”

Helena let out a chuckle and tried to move closer to the stallion's side. His response was to use his wings to propel himself sideways and assume a fighting stance with his weapon half drawn.

“I will, if you would walk with me,” Helena said, gesturing to her side.

“What happened to the guards you took captive?” he asked instead.

Helena turned to the castle and continued without him. “They are asleep in a cave nine miles southeast of my ship. Even if you don’t find it, they will have regained consciousness at sunrise.”

The stallion reluctantly hilted his sword and galloped up to her side.

”Why did you attack them?”

The stallion’s head barely reached her waist, so she had to bend down to face him.

”It’s my turn to ask a question. What’s your name?”

The irrelevant question caught him by surprise. ”Captain Stonewielder,” he said, and met her gaze without flinching. ”What’s your name?”

”Good, you learn quickly,” Helena said and returned to her original position. ”My name is Helena.”

Every armored pony they passed on the road left their post and followed them at a distance, and it didn’t take long until there was a small column of ponies marching in step behind them.

”Will you answer my question now?” Stonewielder asked.

Helena thought about it as they reached an open area with a central fountain. ”There was not enough time.”

Stormwielder frowned skeptically at the vague answer.

Helena let her hand slide against the water as they walked around the fountain. She didn’t detect any dangers directed at her from anywhere in the city, though strangely enough, it reminded her of a time long ago when she’d been overconfident in her newly developed abilities to manipulate time.

At that time, a nearby world which she had helped in the past invited her down to meet with the local government, and they’d arranged a grand parade from the ship to the meeting area. Unfortunately, there was one among their leaders who greedily sought the ancient information hidden within her ship’s data vaults, and decided to take it by force against the wishes of his peers.

Helena detected the projectile, fired from miles away by a sniper, only when it was far too late.

She’d spent almost a day in diluted time, watching the bullet inch closer to her. In the end, the only solution she found was to abandon parts of her mind and relocate the stored information temporarily in the other half. In retrospect, she’d found the recording of the event to be quite amusing. The expression on the spectators' faces, when she ran back to her ship with half her head missing, was very entertaining.

It had taken a week for her to make a full recovery in the safety of her ship, and she woke up to find an entire world fearing retribution. Luckily for them, she’d only tracked down the assassin and his contractor and made sure they’d repented their violent ways and would act more cordially to the next visitor.

”My species are called human. Have you seen or heard of one before?”

”Of course not,” Stormwielder replied. ”Are there more aliens out there?”

”In the galaxy? Many.” They reached a large flight of stairs, and she raised the sides of her dress upwards as they ascended. ”But no, I came here by myself.”

When they reached the top, the entrance to the castle became visible. The guard ponies that had initially followed them veered off into the city one by one, scattering into much smaller groups. Helena could only guess as to why, but she sensed that they presented no danger to her.

It was Helena’s turn to ask a question. ”How old is Celestia?”

”I don’t know,” Stonewielder admitted. ”At least a thousand years.”

”Must be strange to be ruled by someone so ageless.”

Stonewielder scowled as they reached the castle gate. ”And who are you to judge her? She is the wisest and oldest ruler that ever was.”

Helena couldn’t contain her mirth as the gate opened up before them. ”I’m sorry, but there exists so much beyond your comprehension. I am about six times older.”

”Then what?” he asked, unimpressed. ”Celestia?”

”No,” she mused. ”Your world.”


Twilight awoke in a groggy state, her body feeling slow and overworked. She remembered a voice calling out to her. Telling her softly that it was time to wake up.

“Just five more minutes, mom,” she said, eyes closed and snuggling deeper into the pillow. It took a few more moments, but eventually, her mind pieced together where she was, and she leaped off the sofa with a loud yelp.

“It's been years since last time you called me your mother by accident,” Celestia said, chuckling to herself near the dressing area. She was in the process of combing and making sure her regalia was in its proper place.

“Sorry,” Twilight said, followed by a loud yawn.

“No need to apologize. It’s a mistake even the most grizzled of veterans will make on occasion. I quite enjoy it.”

There was a loud knocking on the door, followed by one of the guards. “Your Majesties,” he began, walking inside, “Captain Stonewielder is on his way here with the alien. They’ll be here in ten minutes.”

Twilight prepared as best she could with the precious few minutes available. Her crown was still back at the camp, but fortunately, the maids had been informed beforehand to find her a proper necklace and dress to wear. Celestia herself wore simple white silk along with her usual regalia.

“Where is Luna?” Twilight asked once they were both out in the corridors.

“Luna will not be attending,” Celestia said, and pushed open the door to the throne room. “I asked her to sit this one out until she feels better.”

The remark made Twilight fold one ear in confusion, but Celestia’s expression betrayed nothing when Twilight gazed up at her questioningly. Instead, Celestia appeared resigned rather than resolved. Not knowing what else to think of this, Twilight followed her to the throne room.

There were guards stationed between every major pillar, and they all saluted with stone-faced expressions when they passed. Some held spears, while others used large golden shields that towered over the burly earth ponies that carried them.

The guard presence had been a highly debated topic in the meeting. Celestia wanted every available guard to remain outside, helping keep the city safe and calm, and if things turned to the worse, they’d need all the help they could get to evacuate Canterlot safely. Shining Armor and the crystal ponies he leads would arrive in the morning, though Twilight doubted her brother would be enough to tip the scale in their favor.

Twilight took her place at the side of Celestia's throne. The alien would be inside the castle by now, and there was little to do but wait.

The tension in the room was palpable, and the only thing that echoed through the room was the occasional shuffling of armor or loud yawn that Twilight was unable to hold in.

Eventually, the main doors were opened by a guard.

”Ahem,” he said. ”Let me present to her Majesties, the visitor from outer space, Helena the Human.”

The announcement was enough to wash away all of Twilight’s prior fatigue. They now knew its name and species! She ignored everything and began a frantic search for something to use to take notes. That’s when she remembered the secretary desk near the back corner of the throne. It was currently unoccupied, and the top was cleaned out, but there had to be some office supplies in one of the drawers.

Twilight could see Stonewielder, followed by the human, approach the entrance. If she was fast enough, she could still procure some pen and paper. Weighing the pros and cons of doing so on a scale, she judged that this wasn’t the time to be tip-hoofing around in the background.

It was the first time she had a perfect view of the human. She still wore the same dress as when they’d met in Copper Hill, and somehow it was still in a pristine condition. Twilight made a mental note to ask about the spell it used later, assuming the meeting didn’t spiral out of control.

Helena is her name, Twilight reminded herself.

”Greetings,” Helena said when the alien reached the halfway point to the throne. ”I must commend your efforts.”

Stonewielder trotted ahead to stand at attention near the base of the throne. The room was silent for a few moments.

”What do you mean?” Celestia asked.

”You’ve crafted a beautiful world,” Helena said, stopping only when Stonewielder blocked her path. ”But I’m not overly fond of the weapons in orbit. How many spacefarers have fallen victim to them through the ages?”

Twilight turned to observe Celestia’s reaction to the absurd claim. Not surprisingly, Celestia appeared as taken aback as Twilight.

”I’m sorry,” Celestia said. ”But I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about.”

Helena folded her thin arms in a cross and smirked up at Celestia. ”Playing ignorant won’t work on me. Only those with the knowledge to travel between the stars know of the secrets of agelessness.”

Twilight ears perked. Travel between the stars. How did they accomplish such a feat? Maybe a continuous accelero spell on those large engines at the back? She wanted to know.

”I’m an alicorn,” Celestia explained. ”Those born as such have always been blessed with longevity. But I have no idea how or why you would put a weapon up in space.”

Celestia motioned her head to Twilight.

”Oh!” Twilight said, and gulped audibly when the alien raised an eyebrow in her direction. ”Hi! We’ve met before. Sorry that I tried to stop you with that spell of mine.”

There was a long pause in the room, and Twilight waited for Helena to give her an apology in turn. There was none.

”Ahem,” Twilight continued, sheepishly. ”How about we start the meeting by getting to know each other better? We also have some really comfy bedchambers prepared if you want to continue with the discussion tomorrow.”

“No,” Helena said and advanced on Celestia.

Stonewielder drew his sword and pointed it in the human's path, while the guards from the sideline rushed over. The ones carrying tall shields formed a barrier on the carpet leading up to the throne.

The human's response was lightning fast. Before Twilight could react, the blade of Stonewielder’s magically imbued sword was snagged from him by two of Helena’s fingers, and thrown away with such force that it lodged itself in one of the marble pillars. The stallion tried to rear and kick instead, but the human was quickly beside him. With a fluid motion, she shoved him hard on his armored side with her palm, sending him tumbling several yards along the polished floor.

”Stop!” Celestia said, and held out her hoof. The guards, moments from lounging out with their spears, halted midstep. ”How can I prove to you that I’m telling the truth?”

Helena paused momentarily. ”Allow me to place my hand on you, and I will know if you speak the truth or not.”

The guards shifted nervously at those words. The earth ponies with shields tightening their formation.

”Very well,” Celestia eventually said. ”I will allow you to approach and—”

”No!” Stonewielder interrupted, addressing Helena while also trying to regain his balance. The stallion was clearly disoriented but seemed otherwise unharmed, at least from what Twilight could see. ”Tell us the truth, alien.”

Helena turned to him briefly.

”Can your touch take her life?” Stonewielder asked.

”Yes, it can,” Helena replied without pause.

The carefree way she said was enough for Twilight to activate her horn, though she had no idea if they were any spells that would be effective. The few unicorns among the dozen guards had similar notions, as their horns began to crackle with arcane energy, without any plan on how to unleash it.


Helena knew her exterior radiated a calm and imposing presence. Her interior, however, was the complete opposite. Inside, she felt a rush unlike any she’d experienced in her lifetime. The culmination of her long search was finally within her grasp.

”I command you all to put down your weapons,” the false goddess said, in response to her soldiers inching closer to Helena. They reluctantly withdrew.

“Princess, you must not!” Stonewielder cried out.

Celestia turned to Helena and gave her a genuine smile. ”I trust our visitor from beyond the mist of space will do no such vile deeds.”

The act of playing deity was convincing, though Helena believed that the oversized white wings and horn were overselling it. She continued forward and pushed away the shield-bearing ponies with ease. Celestia regarded her with that same motherly smile, and nobody else tried to stop her reaching out.

Nobody except for the smaller, purple alicorn at her side. The younger mare had her ears splayed backward, and seemed ready to jump in and bite Helena’s arm off if the opportunity presented itself.

Helena ignored her and gently touched the white coat of Princess Celestia, and felt time come to a complete halt. Pulses were sent through her fingers into every part of Celestia’s body, searching for possible signs of human tampering. The information was thoroughly processed by her mind, and was so unexpected; she had to repeat the search. The princess had spoken the truth; it seemed, but not the whole truth. Celestia was indeed as much of a pony as any of the others.

With one notable exception.

The magic within the alicorn was continually renewing its body, giving it a perfect regeneration of cells without any sign of decay. The process behaved differently than the malleable magic she’d encountered so far, and it couldn’t possibly have been a coincidence. There were no doubts left. A human was responsible for engineering the process of Celestia’s agelessness, and she deduced it happened fifteen hundred years ago.

Whoever made this world was still active.

Helena removed her hand from the neck. To her, an hour had gone by deciphering data, while the ponies experienced less than a second of real time.

Celestia blinked in surprise. “That’s it?”

Helena stepped back. ”It seems you speak the truth.”

The ears of the purple mare perked up again.

”Does that mean we can be friends now?” Twilight asked, and took a step closer. “We could maybe help you find the missing person?”

“Do you know who made this world?” Helena said, switching her focus to Twilight. There was a bit of edge in her question, enough for Celestia to shield Twilight with a wing.

“We have no idea who you’re talking about,” Celestia said.

Helena considered her next move. Attaining sufficient information from the ponies would be a time-consuming process, and she’d revealed her presence to the world. Giving her opponent time enough to escape or plan a counter-move against her.

“I assume this castle has a library?” Helena asked Celestia.

The purple mare seemed to burst out of the protective wing she was under and was bold enough to trot up close to Helena’s side.

“Oh yes!” she said and pointed a hoof at the throne room entrance. “The castle library has the most expansive collections of history and spells in all Equestria.”

“Would you show me?”

The purple mare sat down on her haunches and beamed up at Helena. “Of course!”

“Lead the way, little one,” Helena said and turned her back against Celestia. The pony guards around them scattered to make way for her and Twilight.

“I’ll also have to introduce you to the emissaries,” Twilight continued, and proceeded to lead Helena away from the throne. “The only one currently in the castle is the gryphon ambassador, but I’m sure he’d love to meet you.”

“Gryphon?” Helena looked quizzically down at Twilight.

“Oh, don’t worry about it,” Twilight said, and waved a dismissive hoof in the air. “The gryphons can be rough around the edges, but they’re usually nice and fuzzy beneath all those feathers, once you get to know them better that is.”

Helena felt her time dilate. Was the mare insinuating that there was more than one intelligent species living on the planet? Finding one was news of galactic proportions, but here there were several?

“Where are they?” Helena suddenly demanded. The speed at which she’d swirled her head and the coldness in her voice was enough to make the pony increase the distance between them.

It did not matter. Helena scoured her memory of the castle and easily deduced which section would be used to house foreign diplomats. Ignoring the ponies, she hastily made for the exit with such determination that the two guards at the door bolted when she approached.


Twilight watched the human leave through the main doors and disappear out into the hallway. She still had no idea on how to bond with something so foreign as Helena. Even when Twilight believed she found something they could connect over, the human’s personality would turn on a dime.

But Twilight wasn’t a mare to quit so quickly and prepared to follow the human. She didn’t believe that Helena meant the gryphon ambassador any harm, and someone needed to be there to make sure the human didn’t cause too much havoc to their foreign relations.

“Twilight,” Celestia said, softly from behind her. “Come here; we need to speak.”

Twilight turned to Celestia and noted the relieved look on all the guards in the room. Stonewielder slowly limped his way back to his guards, who all sat slumped as if they’d just finished a mile’s march in heavy armor.

“Yes, Princess?” Twilight said, trotting back to the throne.

Celestia sat rigidly on her seat with a somber expression. “I realize now what the human truly is.”

Twilight tilted her head. The irksome sense of familiarity she felt in the human's presence had remained a mystery to her.

Celestia lowered herself until she was level with Twilight, and whispered into her ear.

We’re yet again faced with a mad god.”


Helena left the throne room and hurried through the numerous hallways, sending maids and guards alike shuffling out of her way, sometimes overturning the tables or statues that they hid behind. When she neared her destination, she sensed a clear danger waiting for her at the next junction. She stopped and took in the potted flowers of lavender on each of the pillars along the wall. The hostile presence was invisible to the naked eye.

“Show yourself,” Helena said, focusing on a dark area at the very end.

A dark blue alicorn emerged from the shadows, with black cloth of magic swirling around her before dissipating entirely. Helena recognized Luna from the statue at the gate.

“You are very perceptive,” the alicorn said, slowly closing the distance between them. “I am Princess Luna.”

“Helena,” she said and walked to meet her at the center.

The princess must have been through a rough time, as her eyes were as dull as a doll’s, and her lids were weary by restless nights.

“Are you responsible for the stars?” Luna asked.

Helena didn’t pause her step. “Yes.”

There was cold steel in the ponies words. “Why would you do such a thing?”

“They attacked me first,” Helena said.

“Lies!” Luna reared up on her hind legs, then smashed down on the ground, sending cracks all along the polished floor.

The magic in the air seemed to vibrate all at once, and the ripples around Helena grew in size and frequency. Suddenly, one of the marble pillars smashed down in front of her, spreading dust and pieces of rubble in every direction.

The show of force didn’t faze Helena, who casually stepped through the dust and over the fallen pillar. Time was dilated to such an extent that very little could surprise her, and it was clear the pillar was only a display meant for intimidation.

“If you do not relent on the path you’re taking, I will be forced to restrain you,” Luna said when they were only a few paces from one another.

Helena responded with a burst of speed, and the alicorn's eyes widened in disbelief. Arm outstretched, Helena’s palm reached out for Luna’s neck.

There was a burst of light, and Helena moved straight through the area previously occupied by the princess.

Luna had teleport behind her to the entrance of the hallway and was already preparing another spell. Helena spun around and didn’t give the alicorn any pause, as she’d predicted the position of the teleport as soon as the magic activated.

Helena watched in slow motion as a slab of solid stone, roughly half her size, was dislodged from the castle wall, and sent whizzing against her at high speed. This was no warning shot, as the projectile was aimed straight at her center. Helena could easily evade it in time, but decided upon a different approach.

The stone slab was surrounded by a blue aura, connected to the alicorn through a thin line of magic, an easily exploitable weakness. A quick sidestep changed Helena's direction enough to avoid the majority of the stone, and she stretched out her hand to make contact with its surface.

She once more abandoned the defenses in her hand, causing the ripples around it to vanish and magic to soar into the limb. Helena only needed to touch the stone for an instant to disrupt the blue magic propelling the rock forward, and send a feedback loop strong enough to incapacitate the princess.

The slab hurtling towards her was only inches away when the unexpected happened. The magic surrounding it suddenly lost its bluish coloring, and when she touched the stone, it was as if all the ambient magic had gone dormant. She sensed it would be possible to activate it again, but there would no longer be enough time for the magic to redirect the stone’s trajectory.

Instead, she watched in slow motion as the impact tore the white sleeves of her dress asunder and smashed into the rest of her arm, crushing it and shattering the stone in the process. Despite her best efforts to limit the damage, her arm ended up hanging limply at her side.

Dismissing the pain was an easy feat. The arm was still usable to a certain extent, though the less she used it, the quicker it would mend. She’d need the assistance of her ship to bring it back to peak efficiency.

“You are injured,” Luna said while keeping her distance. “Yield, and we will offer medical assis—”

Helena answered with another dash to close the last distance to the pony, who quickly responded with another teleport. This time, Helena observed each millisecond as the pony dematerialized and traveled in particle form to a place far behind her.

Minutes of careful calculations allowed Helena to know precisely where Luna teleported, and then she increased time to a tenth of normal. She swirled around and used all her momentum to hurl a hidden stone in her left hand, a splintered piece of the one that broke her arm, down the hall.

Luna, barely finished with the teleportation and unaware of the situation, was struck right on the cheek with enough force to send her crashing down on her side. Before the alicorn had enough time to recover, Helena was at her side, placing a hand on her neck.

What followed revealed that Luna was indeed a pony, who'd been given the same agelessness as Celestia by an unknown actor. Not wanting any further conflict, Helena sent an electric spike into the center point of Luna's brain and watched as the alicorn's eyes drifted back into her head. The pony would stay asleep for at least one local cycle, but from her experience in the cave, she knew not to trust that estimate.

She guided Luna gently down to the ground and observed how the swelling increased on the side of her face. There was no perfect way to heal the damage, but a quick shock to stimulate the pony’s organs would help shorten the recovery time. Helena’s arm was in an equally poor state, though with the help of some of her augmentations, it was possible to at least hide the damage, except for the ruined sleeve.

After confirming that the alicorn hadn’t suffered any permanent injuries, she stood up and surveyed the damage to the hallway. The cold night air came gushing in through the hole in the wall, clouds of dust and fragments of stone and marble littered the hall, cracks visible all along the floor, and most of the lavender flowers hung haphazardly over their pots. There was a brief moment of tranquility, then one of the ornate chandeliers fell from the ceiling and shattered on the floor.

Helena sighed as she knew the fight had attracted a lot of attention, and she sensed armored ponies already on their way. She expected they’d be less than pleased by the fact that she’d beaten up one of their goddesses and decided it was best to keep moving. There was, after all, a new species for her to discover.

Author's Note:

A bit of violence in this chapter, but it won't be quite so bad in the future.