• Published 24th Apr 2018
  • 15,404 Views, 459 Comments

To start over - Midnight_Song95

  • ...
21
 459
 15,404

Chapter 43

Celestia tried to not show worry or anger when the prism haired athlete lead her toward the nurse's office although she felt as though she had swallowed a pound of lead. What exactly happened? How badly is Sunset hurt?Will anyone be willing to come forward and tell who did it? Her mind was racing so fast that she barely registered Rainbow Dash's explanation to what had happened.

“Since Miss Cheerliee is out sick Couch had agreed to watch her class in the gym. None of us saw who did it, or else I would be getting yelled at by Luna right now because I would have broken their jaw with my fist. But, whoever it was pushed Sunset and she fell halfway down a flight of stairs. I don't know how badly she was hurt or anything because I rushed off to get the Nurse and then come to get you.” Rainbow Dash said, trying to summarize the event the best she could.

“I have to thank you for that Rainbow Dash.” Celestia managed to say, though she felt even more nervous as she was let into the office. Especially at the yelp of pain from the girl.

“I need to brace this so if it is broken nothing will move around too much.” she heard Nurse Red-heart say though when she walked behind the curtain her anger seemed to multiply.

Sunset's shirt was stained with blood, which if the tissues were any indication was caused by a combination of a bloody nose as well as a cut on her none bandaged arm.

“Sunset.”

Upon hearing her name the redhead jumped, which caused her to yelp out in pain at the sudden movement. Shit, she sounds mad...But this wasn't my fault so she can't be mad at me right? Rainbow probably told her what happened. The girl forced herself to look up as her mentor crossed the room, a hand gently touching one of the bruises that covered her face. Her expression staying neutral though Sunset could see her eyes moisten slightly.

“How bad is it Redheart?” Celestia asked, her tone edging near an eerie calm that Sunset was all too familiar with.

“well...she could have been hurt worse. But someone needs to contact her family, with the sudden onset of swelling I am afraid her left arm may be broken, though of course, one would need x-rays to prove that.” the nurse answered, earning a sigh from Celestia who nodded.


Sunset was quiet on her way to the hospital, being careful to keep the ice applied to the loose-fitting bandage though her mind was elsewhere. She isn't angry at me, right? Did I do something wrong? I mean, she looked worried but...She didn't act like she was. She had that same edge in her tone that Princess Celestia used to use toward me all the time. Was this somehow my fault? Maybe I should just ask? But she might get even more upset with me if that is the case?

“Are you mad at me?”

The words had come out before she could have a second thought about it, though to the teenager's surprise Celestia looked almost startled at the question.

“No Sunset, I'm not angry with you. But I am angry...That someone would be so cruel that they could endanger someone like that! Do you even know how badly you could have been hurt or what could have happened if some of your friends hadn't been with you?” Celestia answered, glancing over at the girl before adding:

“You have no idea what went through my mind when Rainbow Dash told me what happened.”

Sunset didn't know what to say to that but felt she had to do something so with her non-bandaged hand she reached over and placed a hand on Celestia's arm as a comfortable silence passed over them.


Celestia felt the grip tighten around her hand as Sunset bit her lip, trying not to show too much weakness though it was obvious that she was not doing well with the IV catheter that they were inserting.

“You'll be alright Sunset, trust me...It would be worse without the needles.” Celestia whispered, using one hand to brush some hair away from the girl's face. “I'm staying right here and nothing will happen on my watch if I can help it, okay?”

This earned a nod from the teen who risked a glance toward the doctor who was now rummaging through some of the objects that were laid out on a small table. She could recognize some things, although most of it she didn't recognize from Equestria.

“I hate needles...Always did.” she confessed, leaving out the fact that most of the medical exams were done by magic in one form or another, though injections were still used for some immunizations.

“I know but it'll be over soon.” Celestia assured, tightening her grip on Sunset's hand “and until then I'm not going anywhere okay?”

Sunset managed a nod as the doctor injected something into the line.

“This is a light sedation. You'll probably feel a bit drowsy and I've had a few say it made them feel like they were floating but it won't knock you fully out, just enough so that you won't be in pain.” The doctor explained, earning a nod from Sunset who was trying hard to remain calm.

“I've read some...worrying things about this sort of thing.” Confessed Sunset after the doctor had left the room, earning a sigh.

“Sweetheart, what they gave you is just to help you deal with the pain. What you probably read about was probably what is called deep sedation. You'll just sleep through it.” Celestia explained, wishing that she could do something to ease the girl's mind for at least a little while until the drugs kicked in.

“Okay.”

Sunset managed to whisper, though she couldn't stop her eyes from spilling over, the fogginess of her mind making it harder to keep her guards in place. What if I wake up and she's gone? What if I don't wake up? What if this is a big ploy to do testing or something on me like they do to aliens on TV?

“You promise you won't leave?” she whimpered, pulling away from the touch in order to wipe away some of the tears.

“I promise, I'll be right here in this same spot when you wake up.” the teacher answered, just as the doctor returned to the room.

Someone is singing...

that was the first thought Sunset had when she woke up, finding herself still in the same emergency area that she had been in when she had been put to sleep, only this time her once painful arm felt heavy.

Did she really stay?

Forcing herself to open her eyes she saw that Celestia had indeed not moved from her chair.

“Mom?”

The word slipped out of the still slightly drugged teen's mouth, catching Celestia off guard.

Did she just call me mom? It's probably just the drugs talking, most people say some pretty weird things while they're on this much of anything. Celestia thought though she couldn't keep from feeling the familiar pang that hit her heart at that thought. Stop thinking about that Celestia, you'd be selfish to expect anything like that.

“What is it Sunset?” she responded softly, trying to shake some thoughts and memories from her mind so that she could actually care for the teenager who had come to rely on her.

“Thank you....For staying...I...was afraid I'd wake up and be here by myself.”

Celestia's heart ached as she heard this. How could anyone do something that would leave someone that paranoid? She wondered, reaching over to dry a few tears that had slipped down the girl's face.

“Sunset, you will never be alone again. No matter what okay?”