• Published 13th May 2018
  • 8,966 Views, 1,150 Comments

Twin Twilight Tales - MagnetBolt



Sunset Shimmer has made a small mistake. That mistake is purple, short, and asks a lot of tricky questions.

  • ...
21
 1,150
 8,966

Epilogue

Dear Princess Celestia,

I know you were disappointed that I decided to stop being your student, but Discord wasn’t wrong when he told me I hated feeling like I wasn’t special enough. Midnight and I get along fine but I want to be thought of as my own mare and not just part of a matched set.

Nightmare Moon, or Princess Luna, since she lets me call her that as long as we’re in private, has been teaching me a lot. Mostly different types of repair spells since we’re trying to put the Castle of the Twin Sisters back together.

The good news is that we apparently get mail service out here! I don’t know why they have postmares going through the Everfree Forest twice a week and I’m afraid to ask. Luna suggested we repair the old road, but after a thousand years it’s more like building a new road from scratch and that seems like it’s a job for engineers and not magic.

Give Princess Cadance my best, and tell Mom and Dad to stop worrying, I haven’t been kidnapped by an evil force of darkness. Luna has tried explaining things to them in their dreams but that only seems to have made things worse.

Your Former Student,
Twilight Sparkle


Celestia,

As we discussed via other means, the six ponies sent by Mrs. Twilight Velvet to vanquish me and return her daughter to safety have been released largely unharmed.

Please tell her again that I did not kidnap her daughter, the last discussion didn’t take.

HRH Princess Nightmare Moon
Exact Realm TBD
Castle of the Twin Sisters

Postscript: We need to hash our respective spheres of influence out. You bring the map, mine are out of date. I’ll bring Twilight to yell at her parents on my behalf if you can ensure they don’t try stealing her away.

Post-Postscript: Now that I write it out, Princess Nightmare Moon looks odd in print. Queen would be fine but I suspect even if I signed my letters that way I would be the only pony using the title. I might have to follow your advice and allow ponies to call me Luna again.


Auntie,

Are there any spells that you can use to tell if a pony is pregnant? Please reply quickly and discreetly and don’t tell Sunset I asked.

Cadance


Cadance,

First, why did you send a letter? Just come to my room and ask me in person if you have a question. I’m right down the hallway.

Second, is there something I should know? I have a great many questions (how, who, and when chief among them) and in lieu of asking for specifics, I will await a reply to this letter which I expect will contain everything I need to know.

Third, I’ve attached a scroll with an appropriate spell. Just follow the instructions carefully.

Celestia


Midnight,

You were right. The northern wastes are incredibly boring. Celestia sent me and Cadance to survey them, but I think she just wanted us out of the castle for a while. You wouldn’t believe how much snow and ice there is between Equestria and Yakyakistan. The Yaks think the whole place is cursed. Why she ran a rail line into the middle of nowhere I can’t imagine.

She’s got my full report, but try and knock some sense into her for me. There’s no way ponies would ever want to move up here so surveying the land is a stupid plan.

Sunset Shimmer


A woman stopped in front of the statue. There was a letter lying on the ground, a little scorched around the edges and still smoking. She picked it up carefully, wary of the embers around the edges. The envelope was thick and textured, obviously very expensive. The front was addressed, sort of, in flowing, precise script.

To Whomever Finds This: Please deliver this letter to Twilight Velvet and Night Light if possible.

Some people would have stopped there with a letter not addressed to them. She could have tossed it back to the ground, or put it in a mailbox, or even tried to deliver it herself. The person who had found it was the type to ignore little rules of privacy and courtesy when she was curious, though, so she opened it and read the message within.

My name was Twilight Sparkle, and I haven’t been able to get a message home in a very long time. I don’t even know where to begin. I want you to know that I’ve been happy, and everypony has taken good care of me. I’m sorry for not writing before but we didn’t know it was even possible.

The woman blinked. Everypony?

I’ve included a blank sheet of paper. It’s enchanted so anything you write on it will show up on a sheet I prepared on my side. I know there’s no magic where you are, just please try. If it doesn’t work, you might be able to reply the same way I sent this.

The other sheet of paper in the envelope was the same thick material as the envelope, and the woman could swear it glittered in the corner of her eye, even if it seemed normal when she looked right at it.

I can’t come back home yet. The way I got here is broken, and only small things like this letter might be able to get through. If the paper doesn’t work, there should be a flat surface near where this was found. According to my information, it becomes a portal for three days, every thirty moons. You should be able to send letters that way.

I hope to hear from you soon. I’m a little scared to reach out like this, but I want to know where I came from, and I want you to know you don’t have to worry.

If you can’t reply for some reason, I’ll keep sending letters anyway every time the portal opens. Maybe someday I’ll be able to repair it and visit you in person.

-Midnight Twinkle, frmrly Twilight Sparkle

The woman looked at the statue in front of her. The front of it was marble, polished almost to a mirror gleam. Her eyes drifted from the name on the small memorial at the base of the statue to where it was signed on the letter.

“Twilight Sparkle, huh?” She asked. She touched the statue. There was a tingle, like static electricity.

“Is something wrong?” Another voice asked.

The woman turned. “Oh, Principal Celestia. No, nothing’s wrong.” She stuffed the letter into her jacket. “I was just picking up some trash.” She held out her hand to shake. “I hope I’m on time for the vice-principal interview.”

“Ten minutes early, actually,” Celestia said, shaking her hand. “It’s good to finally have a face to put with the name, Miss Shimmer.”

“Please,” the woman said. “Sunset is fine.”

Comments ( 79 )

You have a couple of instances of calling Midnight "Sunrise" in this chapter and the previous one. :)

LOL, sequel bait indeed.

Well now. This didn't go even remotely how I expected it to at the end. That is not by any means a complaint. A strange and wondrous world you've created here. I look forward to seeing what happens next. (Though I have to ask, whatever did happen to human Luna?)

Okay, three questions. Why does Midnight sometimes get called Sunrise? Where is the human Luna? And when can we expect the sequel?

Great story. Shame that it's over, but c'est la vie.

Another instance of Midnight being referred to as "Sunrise" here.

And nice epilogue, showing where everypony is and where things could be heading for a sequel. And given the end, it certainly seems things didn't go well for Vice Principal Luna. And now that the human Sunset has found the letter, who knows what could happen. Hopefully Midnight will be able to see her old home again one day and realize how wrong Princess Celestia is about the place these days.

I don't think I'm alone in the want for a sequel, and I won't just yell sequel in your inbox about one. I just hope that it comes, and hope that I enjoy it when it does. This was a great thing to read, and the group I read it with had a blast with it.

Now, I leave you with a cryptic message of what has come before:

2200+57*(59+61)

Message me with answers that you may have come up with to the cypher.

If there is no sequel there will be a riot

cant wiat for the next one,

Welp, looks like the apple didn't fall from the tree, Sunset is (starting off) evil in the human world too! Anyways, I'll worry about that later, for now I'm gonna take in the fact, this glorious masterpiece has come to an end. This was a pleasure to read since day one, the writing was great, the plot was amazing & everypony's character development was done to perfection!

I can't wait for the sequel, but for now I think I'll reread this & see if I missed any hidden clues. Take care, MagnetBolt & thank for creating this masterpiece! :twilightsmile:

P.S. If Cadance is pregnant, who's the father?

that is one hell of a cliff hanger

9041377
Not the correct answer

9041380

He's been trolling everybody on the Changeling of the Guard discord with that. don't feel bad.

9041443
It isn't a number.

Oooooooo, Human Sunset. I cannot wait for the sequel. I dearly hope that it will just keep going, the sequel comes out in two days, and you keep your updating schedule. xD. I WANT MORE!


9041330
Human Luna lost a kid! She was in charge of Stormaggedon when she fell through the portal!

9041449
I understand why she's not in the VP position anymore. I'm just wondering what she's up to these days.

Amazing story, loved it. Hoping for a sequel. (Please write a sequel). Can't wait to reread this again in the near future!

I knew a way fro twilight parent to be alright with everything, have shiny armor joint the luna guard, that way they knew he there they knew hey daughter is safeish,

So you become a school admin on earth your dimensional twin becomes an alicorn in Equestria?

It's a bit bittersweet to bring back the mirror world at the end of the story, but apropos.

Great story.

9041455
I'd say Nightmare Mooning around. Or into jail. Certainly something that'll make her a possible villain in the sequel.

That is, there'll be Sequel. Else I can see riots happening.
Please? :fluttercry:

On a last note:

Ponies can respect each other and be friends without there being romantic feelings involved!

BLASPHEMY!!! :flutterrage:
I mean, sure, but what's the fun in that? :derpytongue2:

I also hope the incestuous shipping Cadence was doing bears fruits. And that Sunset was the one she suspected of being pregnant, because shenanigans :pinkiecrazy:

Is Midnight changing her name again because she's staying with all the sun-ponies?

And the human Sunset appears to be not yet reformed. If she's taking Luna's old position, she probably knows the story with Twilight and still decided to keep the letter.


This was an excellent read, thank you for that. I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel.

so now do we get witch of canterlot

I’ve really enjoyed this story. Thank you for writing it.

And so a brilliant story comes to a close. I have to say this was quite an experience. Along with your bonus points, your total comes to 13 points on the :yay:itude meter! I can only hope I've seen this will go well for them in the future.

Who the hell is sunrise?

Second, is there something I should know? I have a great many questions (how, who, and when chief among them) and in lieu of asking for specifics, I will await a reply to this letter which I expect will contain everything I need to know.

We want to know too! Don't tell me the Elements magically grant her Sunset's child?

The woman turned. “Oh, Principal Celestia. No, nothing’s wrong.” She stuffed the letter into her jacket. “I was just picking up some trash.” She held out her hand to shake. “I hope I’m on time for the vice-principal interview.”

So the human world still resonate the Equestria world somewhat? Human Sunset become a vice-principle for Canterlot High instead of Luna?
I feel a little pity for human Nightlight and Velvet to miss their long lost daughter's contact. I hope the next one could reach them.

This story is really filled with interesting idea. Can't wait for the sequel.

Sunrise and I get along fine

Did you mean Sunset?

Pregnancy test?! Either Sunset knows some kinky spells, or biology works very differently over there...

Uh oh. The human version is trying to get in charge of the school? There's so much weirdness around that one I don't know where to begin. The human one never even existed, as far as canon went, right? And where's Luna? Does this mean that EG happens in reverse, and the Normie one went to Equestria for magic instead?

Also, it's rather hazardous to go through your stories. I just want you to know.

I doubt there will be a sequel. Yes the epilogue seems to be setting up for one, but the same could be said for Witch of the Everfree, which IMHO was a superior fic to this.

Nice way to bind all the dangling threads together.

This was a pretty fun romp, with unexpected twists and turns and a lot of surprises. I appreciate it a lot, thank you.

...Harmony damn it, Sunset. :facehoof:

9041298
He also had a whole bunch of instances of calling Stormageddon "Midnight" in the chapters before that. :moustache:

in the sequel (if there ever is one)

would the others of the mane 6 come about?

Reading this all the way to the end makes me crave a sequel to "Witch of the Everfree", pleases you'll continue either this story or that one with a second entry, they're too good to not be continued.

Next time on the Twilight Twins! How will Tirek deal with combined magic pools? Will Chyrssalis be blasted to Tuesday by Sunset? Will Pinkie join Discord in breaking the 4th wall like its wet paper? Tune in next time to find out and much much more! Okay discarding the bit this was a great story. Every chapter had me clawing for more and just enveloped me in the narrative. While I find the alicornation a tad bit weird (RIP alicorn Twilight) I cant even conceive of how it would work with the twins so... good call. Anyways good luck with any future stories and thank you for this delectable tale.

Well this was really good and I’m curious on a sequel! I guess EQG Luna got fired all those years ago. Sad it wasn’t her fault.

Are there any spells that you can use to tell if a pony is pregnant? Please reply quickly and discreetly and don’t tell Sunset I asked.

I'm sorry, HOW?

“Ten minutes early, actually,” Celestia said, shaking her hand. “It’s good to finally have a face to put with the name, Miss Shimmer.”

*COUGHS UP A LUNG*

Did you just SEQUEL BAIT me? >:V

9071034
1. Magic. Gender bender magic in particular. They probably did want to try "the real thing" and Sunny didn't pull out in time. ;)

2. Discord literally mentioned sequel bait in the end of the last chapter. ;)

Discord sighed, sitting on the cobblestones and picking his nose. “This would be a good time for some kind of pithy quote.”
“Yes,” Celestia said. “It would.”
“Maybe an ominous sign of things to come?” Discord suggested. “Sequel bait type of thing?”
“What are you even talking about?” Sunset sighed.
“Never mind,” Discord sighed. “Let’s just get to the epilogue.”

Well, he did want to tell one himself, but epilogue did that for him.

Loved the story, when is the sequel coming?

Well, it's finally over. I'd vote both like and dislike if the system would allow me to do that. While well-written from purely technical standpoint, this feels like a comedy/random/AU one-shot that has mutated wildly out of control and lost its purpose somewhere along the way. It wandered blindly about for a time, then sprinted to the end in a great hurry with a mandatory sequel hook.

At least it's over now.

9142077
They are such guilty pleasures. Especially love the second one. The humor just resonates with me.

I've read a little over the first 1/7th of the story - currently at the scene with the torn library book right now - really liking it so far, it's hard to put down. Faved! :twilightsmile:


The flurries were starting to turn into sleet [...]

Heh, flurries.

"He's not-" Cadance sighed. "He's not really my coltfriend. We sort of started growing apart. I used to spend a lot of time foalsitting his sister, but you've needed more help with Midnight and-"

Oh. Ooooooh. :rainbowderp:

The flurries were starting to turn into sleet [...]

[...] shielded from the driving winds and falling sleet by part of the collapsed roof [...]

[...] even with the sleet still coming down.

"Are you hitting on me? Is that what this is?" Sunset raised an eyebrow.

And then the sleet melted and went down the drain...

OUCH. :twilightoops::applejackconfused::trollestia:

Awesome story, totally loved it! Would be super excited for a sequel, but for now I think I'll browse your other works.

Hope to see more from you in the future! :twilightsmile:

I'm of two minds on this story. I love the worldbuilding, history, and magibabble introduced. I like your prose. The comedic sections are excellent - the Pirate Princess fiasco, the O&O shenanigans, Twilight and Midnight's bickering (Let's blow up the moon!) - all had me laughing, and feel in character for the kind of crazy world Equestria is.

On the other hand, some aspects feel skeletal in comparison to how the rest in filled out. Sunset wants family and wanted dearly for Celestia to acknowledge her as such, but somehow she skips over her to call Midnight a granddaughter without speaking to Sunset. Later, when Nightmare brings up her "daughter," Celestia immediately jumps to Cadance, if only to deny such a relation. (Well, I could see it as merely the alicorn thing.) This scene just reminds us that we never had any closure on this point.

Secondly, elements of Midnight's situation prickle me. There's the mess with her family back home, who have lost their daughter with no closure for the last decade. There's Luna's situation, and I can't help but feel that she has not had a good time between 1) being blamed for losing a child 2) self-loathing at losing a child when it was her responsibility to keep an eye on her. When you start thinking about what might have gone down on the human side, it casts a shadow on Midnight's antics in Equestria.

Discord being kept around as basically a pet also feels off. There hasn't been any change in his character, so this only solves the immediate problem. I don't see any evidence that his behaviour is going to change when he regains his strength. Actually, the lack of character growth in general bothers me in this story. Cadance feels like static pony (pervy jokes and reassuring Sunset). The Sunset-Cadance relationship is rushed and springs from nothing. Celestia, as I mentioned before, tells Sunset she is very important to her but never, never, uses the word Sunset wants to hear. In short, this story felt like it still needed resolution.

Loved the story till the last arc.

It kinda went off the rails, and not in a good way. Here I was hoping you would stick closer to the canon like you did in Witch. I couldnt get past cutting Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash out of the story, or how Nightmare Moon was forced in. I get that you are trying to tell a different story from the canon, but this was fast and loose and not at all in tune with the rest of the story.

The climax was also pretty unsatisfying between Luna taking Twilight and not making up with Celestia, and whatever is going on with Midnight’s subplot.

I did really love the early chapters (especially Tia’s vacation). I also laughed like a fool at the donut incident, but those last few chapters just felt like they belong to separate story entirely.

9271635
Yes but even with an incompetent DM, how you game is all about intent. Rules lawyers tend to min-maxing, metagaming, munchkins, not always, but often enough in my personal experience. I've been playing since I rolled my first character in '86, I've seen just about every player type there is. I myself have become the fat bottomed neckbeard, who sings tales of past glories and campaigns of days gone by.

Poor human Luna.

Login or register to comment