• Published 16th Jul 2018
  • 3,375 Views, 75 Comments

The Flower Mare: Unbroken - Flammenwerfer



While the scars of the War will forever remain, Schneeblume has been helped along by the three Crusaders over the years. Now, she must lay to rest some more demons that have haunted her. To do so, she must return home to where it started: Alemaneia.

  • ...
5
 75
 3,375

Series Epilogue: To Whom it may Concern

The War would fade into obscurity... out of the minds of the ponies who were in no way affected by it. This I expected. Instead of an event we can reference as an experience, it will be relegated to textbooks for schools.

Artifacts that held sentimental value for those who partook will slowly be claimed by museums and personal collectors.

Stories of grand heroism and sacrifice for noble virtues will be looked upon academically, rather than as a medium for expression.

It is only natural with the passage of time... that our hardships in what we hoped were our parts in making the world a better place, will be swept aside by the trotting-in of the newer generations. And eventually, although we are quite numerous, the last of us... our kind... will be laid to rest.

It's the case with all wars, isn't it? So easily are the lessons forgotten, that... perhaps not the next, but the generation after... will take up arms again for such perceived, 'noble' virtues. They are the products of forgotten teachings. Teachings inscribed in our blood on the stones of our graves.

But, three young mares showed me that the future was not as set as I'd have thought. Though we lost everything, we can truly be, in a sense, immortal.

The fields of the Seele Plains will regrow to their former majesty, obscuring and reclaiming the rusted metal and abandoned artillery cannons.

The poisoned lakes of the 'Fair Dunes' Forest will purify again, and the remnants of the '21 Days of Gas' will be properly cleansed.

The ice of The Windigo Valley will crystallize over the wounds in the earth, inflicted by our incessant barrages.

Those who perished during the War... during all wars, would be returned to the earth from whence they were birthed, and seed new life where so much of it was taken.

We, as the ponies who lived, don't get the luxury of rebirth.

However...

With the help of three ponies in particular... Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo, I truly believe we can finally achieve what we all want in this world.

Perhaps I'm idealistic. Perhaps, having come back from the throes of death and my own war-induced insanity, I place my hopes too much in the next generation. Perhaps I'm one of only a few anomalies.

But with the help of these three, beautiful, amazing young mares... they've shown me that, perhaps there is something to hope for.

Our voices can finally speak.

Our stories can finally be heard.

Our tears can finally be dried.

And as soldiers, we need not hang our heads in shame or sorrow... but we can finally hold our heads high. We can be that shining beacon that calls to those who still suffer in silence that they, too, can find solace what I firmly believe is not impossible:

We will be remembered!

Our sacrifices weren't for naught!

And that beacon of light calls even to you.

So long had I wanted to hate you... but I could never bring myself to pass my own guilt upon another. Like myself and my comrades in arms, you have your own stories. Different for certain, yet stories that I cannot imagine from a perspective I cannot wield.

You may not think it. Others may refuse to believe it. But you matter as much as any of us in this. I can only hope that you have found some modicum of what you are looking for... wherever you may wander now. And I can only hope this finds you based on the credible tip I received of your whereabouts.

My story has been told. And now, my question to you, like so many others who were touched by Equidae, is:

"What's your story?"

So... Regenfall,

I write to you.

Author's Note:

*Book Closes*

And just like that, Schneeblume's story comes to an end. I can't thank you all enough for those who read, and helped inspire me to write something that I've wanted to for a long while. I just never believe I would've gotten a character that touched people in the way that they say she has.

Thank you, again, for reading.

Comments ( 37 )

One of the best series on this site. I'll probably read it again. Thank you for writing it.

But with the help of these three, beautiful, amazing young mares... they've shown me that, perhaps there is something to hope for.

GO CMC:yay:!!!

Beautiful ending...simply beautiful:heart:!

9113125
Thanks man! I really appreciate in, and thanks for sticking with the ride!

9113128
Thank you! Time to let her live her life in solace now

9113247
Eeyup, after all the Tartarus she went through, she deserves it:eeyup:.

This series has been without a doubt my favorite non-comedy on the site. It was beautifully written, and Schneeblume was fun to watch as she slowly got past the war. Between this series and Anzel’s ‘Trials of a Royal Guard’, this site is blessed with two amazing War stories that are better than most real books I’ve read. Thank you for providing me with an enjoyable ending to a wonderful series, and I can’t wait to see what you have in store for us next.

Hands down, as a former soldier; this is brilliant.
It's everything I know thousands wish they could have said, or have the ability to say now.

You've done an honor, in my opinion, to veterans of all wars that will never know it.

I would like permission to use the epilogue in the future, in real life, for a public speech...
It's too well written to be hidden in the corner of the internet.

WHY CAN’T I LIKE THIS MORE THAN ONCE!:flutterrage:

it’s s-so b-beautiful :fluttercry:

Flammenwerfer....

You are a bloody damn prodigy when it comes to writing:moustache:

9113495
I’m incredibly humbled that you say that. Thank you very much for those words—I’m just happy those who read were able to enjoy in some way.

You absolutely have my permission!

9114524
It might be different in Austria

Beautyfull and emotional :raritycry:
i love your work :twilightsmile:

For the past 2 years and a half , If you would have asked me my favorite story I would have answered ,without a doubt, FoE....
But now, that might be the case anymore.
Thanks for writing such a good story.

This little trilogy is one of the most heartstring-tugging things I’ve ever read. I seriously cried. More than once. You’ve got some serious writing skill.

9113293

Thanks a lot, man! :D

9113439
Those words are getting me all red in the face! Haha. Thank you, though. I'm just happy I was able to make a character that everyone could hopefully enjoy.

Thanks for writing!

Another amazing story. Thank you for sharing your talent and creativity. Now if only you'd put less dust in there; it keeps getting in my eyes. :rainbowwild:

It physically hurts when a story as amazing as this ends. Like, ends ends. No more. Kaput. Nada. Zero. You get the idea.

Love this story from beginning to end.

Words fail me in trying to express just how highly I think of this work. I'll leave it at this:

Bravo Zulu.

Applause.

Hmm...Schneeblume's story may be over, but there might be more tales left in this universe. I wonder if we'll ever find out what happened to Regenfall...🤔

Truly one of the best series on this site, and a moving tribute to soldiers of all nationalities who, regardless of the virtues and sins of their countries, fought with honor. A magnificent reminder that even the greatest of tragedies is not the end of life and happiness. God bless you for writing this.

Best thing I've read for a long time, props to you mate!

So, Schnee story is end, but would there be another story from another perspective? Guess we'll find out

My grandpa on my moms side side served in the Vietnam War and suffered from PTSD so this made me sad for more than 1 reason

This was a great series, from the emotional perspective as well as the visceral recollections of Schnee. This provided a new look at the character from your new story, and really glad to see her approach a romantic relationship after her hardships.

This is one of the most touching stories I have ever read. I found myself tearing up so may times through all three. Whether, it was because I could relate ( family portion) or because you where able to convey the emotions spot on. You made this feel so real. Thank you! I find this universe you have created extremely interesting and hope to see more in the future.

Well done! Made an old soldier cry. That's not a small task. Again well done!

This story together with its prequels are quite simply a literary work of art. The psychological and emotion impact experienced by Schnee shown through the text spectacularly. Schnee's thought provoking journey touches the reader and evokes a connection whether the reader has first hand experience with PTSD or not. The pains, the struggles, the relief and joy were beautifully illustrated in the minds eye. Bravo Flammenwerfer, bravo.

Finally got around to reading this. I'm sorry I didn't do it sooner. Well done!

It is a crime that I took so long to get to this.

It's also a crime that after all this time you still have 1600 views here. A CRIME!

Unfortunately i can't quite find the proper words to describe how well you did with this series.

9113495
Precisely. This needs to be shared. At the very least, I can share it with currently serving and veteran folks. I can't say that about any other story I've read on this site.

I loved this, Flam. I truly did enjoy myself immensely reading this series. You struck it out of the park, and yet that ball keeps sailing across the bright blue sky.

Schnee has endeared herself to me as my favorite oc on the site, and that is saying something given how much I have read. While my demons pale in comparison to her, I find her immensely relatable in her emotional turmoil.

I do wish we saw more of Tea Leaf and Schnee's relationship blossom, since that last bit seemed a bit rushed in there to hit home base. Still, I am thrilled they found love with one another.

That is my one major criticism for this chapter of this trilogy, but all in all this was fantastic in so many ways, both big and small. While the second story in the series is my favorite of the bunch, this, and the first, will also stay with me for a long while after I read them.

I have learned things about myself from looking within while I read these works of yours, as well. I can not expressed how much this series touched me, Flam. I really can't find the proper words. Though, I will say this:

Flam, you rock!

if the profile pic is of Schneeblume adorable is a understatement

10192228
Yes, that's her. If you look closely at her left hoof, you can see that it's metallic.

Login or register to comment