• Published 28th Jul 2012
  • 2,760 Views, 45 Comments

"Better Luck Next Time" and Other Short Stories - Tarot Card



Short stories including Applebloom failing at getting a cutie mark, Celestia destroying the world, Spike being born, Twilight meeting Dusk, and some Flutterdash thrown in for good measure.

  • ...
6
 45
 2,760

Good Day In Hell

The Prompt : It’s clear to everypony that Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are a couple. Everypony except Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy.

Rainbow’s menacing look was waning, as her eyelids began drooping. “Quit asking me. We’re just friends.That’s all. Just really...really close friends, and stuff...” The cerulean blue pegasus barely suppressed a yawn, and closed her eyes just for a moment. She slumped onto the seat, but was careful to scootch a few inches away from her sleeping companion, in a feeble attempt to deny Rarity anymore matchmaking ammunition. “Just, let it alone, okay? It’s way too hot for this.”

It was clear that both the unicorn and pegasus whispering were adamant in their convictions, and neither intended to yield. “Honestly, Dash. Do you expect....Dash? Hello Dash?” She paused to look at her friend. Despite the sweltering heat, Rarity found herself giggling.

The heat of the day, in combination with the long monotonous train ride, had finally lulled Rainbow Dash to sleep. She snored gently, and her head flopped onto the neck of the sleeping Fluttershy. In spite of the sudden impact, both remained unconscious. Stifling her laughter, the alabaster Unicorn gestured for her friends to come closer, and observe the two sleeping pegasi in their cuddle puddle. Twilight and Pinkie came quickly to Rarity’s sides; Applejack just stared sullenly over at the yellow and blue mares, before turning back to looking outside the window.

Rainbow stirred once more, and for a heartbeat, Rarity was sure the blue mare would jump away in shock. Instead, Rainbow yawned, then unthinkingly cast her wing over Fluttershy. The two were side by side now, leaning into one another, in an almost embrace, and they didn't even know. Twilight smiled sweetly at the sight. Pinkie’s adoration was less reserved, and had to be silenced by a white hoof to avoid disturbing the two sleeping mares.

Even if Rainbow Dash would never concede that she felt something for Fluttershy, the actions of the unconscious mind made their feelings for one another more apparent than any verbal declaration of love. At least, to their friends.