• Published 25th Feb 2020
  • 5,107 Views, 1,789 Comments

On the Implications of Parallel Worlds - computerneek



Usually, first contact is made with just a few people. The latest civilization to be invited to Hogwarts begs to differ.

  • ...
35
 1,789
 5,107

Chapter 37

“Well, I guess we’ve only got the train ride left,” Silver sighed, as she, Hermione, and Harry sat down for breakfast. They’d be going down to take the train back home shortly after the meal- and, fortunately, her parents would be appearing at Platform Nine and Three Quarters under a disguise, so she could be Silversong all the way home.

“Tell me about it,” Harry groaned. “I’m not looking forward to the summer.”

“I’ll visit, don’t worry,” Hermione very nearly crooned.

Harry sighed. “If the Dursleys will allow, of course.”

“Of course they’ll allow,” Silver inserted. “They’re muggles, and she’s a muggleborn. What do any of your parents have to fear about being seen letting you visit each other?”

Harry sighed. “The Dursleys are… not nearly so parent-like.” Silver wouldn’t be visiting either one over the summer, because of the social and political damage that would be done if either of her parents were to be seen ferrying her to or from a muggle neighborhood. “Remember, these are the people that tried to beat the magic out of me for ten years.”

“... Right,” Silver groaned. “We’re all going to hate the summer, aren’t we?”

“Not if I can help it,” Hermione stated industriously. “I mean… yeah, I’ve already got a lot lined up, between the Papa Tango and the Government, but I’ll make time to visit you. Both of you, if I can.”

“The Papa Tango thing came through?” Harry asked.

“The Government?” Silver asked.

“Uh, yes, and yes,” Hermione answered. “The letter came in last night, my parents are okay with it. Lyra’s just making some final adjustments before we go do it. And yes, the Government… turns out the Muggle government got their hands on a copy of my article somehow, and they want to try a similar study, this time involving muggles.” She grinned. “I bet I’ll be learning a lot from that- and they’ve already cleared it with the Minister for Magic and everything.”

Right at that moment, Lyra sat down on Hermione’s other side; Silver and Hermione had sat on either side of Harry. “Speaking of which, it’s ready. Got it better than I thought I would, to be honest- as near as I can tell, the first wave of symptoms should be next to nothing now, though the rest will only be probably abated slightly… and possibly even exacerbated. I don’t have the data to do any better, unfortunately.”

Hermione smiled at her. “Hey, that’s amazing. Way better than I was expecting.” Then she shrugged. “Plus, it’s only the initial symptoms that really need beating down right now- for the rest, I’m going to be at home anyways.”

Silver rolled her eyes. “ ‘Only the initial symptoms’,” she quoted. “What are you, a masochist?”

“No!” Hermione promptly denied. “I’m-! That’s just a time when nobody but my parents will see me. And I mean, it would be nice if the rest were down too, certainly- but if they’re not, it’s no big deal, because nobody will see me anyways!”

“Speaking of which, I’m really sorry about yours, Silver,” Lyra stated. “It wasn’t supposed to hurt like that.”

Silver rolled her eyes. With Harry’s and Hermione’s help, she’d warmed up to Lyra a bit, but the girl still made her uneasy. She hadn’t been impressed to learn that Hermione had told Lyra who she was some weeks ago, but at least Lyra didn’t bother her… except once, to apologize once again for forgetting to ask permission before doing the Papa Tango, and to ask- out of curiosity, of course- what her answer would have been had she remembered to ask.

“Had you asked, I probably would have said no,” she had answered. “On the other hand, had you asked, and I had known what would happen, it would’ve been a solid yes.”

That was about as close as she felt comfortable getting, just yet, to thanking the girl for doing it to her.


Lyra reappeared hardly half an hour later, this time in Silver and Hermione’s dormitory, as they were finishing up their bags for the train.

“Hello,” she greeted. “Um, do you mind if I come in for a minute?”

Silver raised an eyebrow, but Hermione answered. “Sure. What do you need?”

“Um,” Lyra muttered, before looking at Silver. “There’s something… that I feel I should ask you about,” she said.

Silver’s other eyebrow joined the first. “So you’re remembering to ask this time?”

Lyra blushed lightly. “No, no, this isn’t anything like that, but… yes, I suppose, I am. I…” She took a breath. “I noticed that the magic of the Castle has been covering for you- and quite admirably, at that- all year long.” She shrugged. “Well, I only noticed when I looked, but still.

“The issue is that, by the nature of the spellwork involved, it won’t extend to the train. Someone would notice that Draco Malfoy- or Silversong, depending- never got off the train at Platform Nine and Three Quarters.”

Silver winced. “That’s… good to know, I guess.”

“The thing is, I can- temporarily- extend that magic to cover the train and station at both ends- so nobody’ll notice Draco was never on the train at all. It’ll only last a couple of days, since I won’t be making it ambient powered, but it doesn’t need to last any longer- and besides, with the amount of power I can dump into it when not making it ambient-powered, you could shift in front of the entire Wizengamot and nobody would notice.”

Silver blinked. “... Sure, then, I guess.”

“Then… there’s something else I wanted to do. Me and Twilight will be using a blanket search spell to make sure that all the Equestrians make it back to Equestria, and I’d like to exclude you from it ahead of time, to minimize the chance of a mistake at the station.”

“What kind of mistake?” Hermione asked.

“Oh, something like Silversong being accidentally dragged along to Equestria,” Lyra answered promptly. “It wouldn’t hurt her, per se- not the way it would you or Harry, that’s for certain. But what it would do would be to separate her from anything and everything she’s familiar with, and very possibly get her lost in the crowd in Ponyville for a few days before we figured out what happened, and were able to bring her back. Completely aside from what that kind of thing could do to her parents, that’s not an adventure I could wish on anyone- and possible side effects would include PTSD.”

Hermione winced. “That’s bad.”

“What’s…?” Silver asked.

“Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder,” Hermione stated, as if reciting something. “A condition of persistent mental and emotional stress occurring as a result of injury or severe psychological shock, typically involving disturbance of sleep and constant, vivid recall of the experience, with dulled responses to others and to the outside world.”

Lyra looked at her. “Did you swallow the dictionary?”

Hermione stared. “Um, no?”

“Because that’s how my dictionary describes it, word-for-word.”

“I… I studied hard?”

“You mean to tell me,” Silver interrupted, “that being randomly dragged into another world and hopelessly lost in that foreign world that nobody I know physically could come rescue me from would be traumatic?”

“Uh, yeah,” Lyra answered definitively. “Though that’d be a bit of an understatement.”

“No kidding,” Silver retorted. “Yes, absolutely do that thing. I might want to visit Equestria sometime anyways, but not involuntarily if I can help it.”

“Works for me,” Lyra stated. “Now, I’ll just need to…” She held out her hands, and a series of golden symbols rippled around her. A ring of them briefly appeared around Silver, glowed softly, and disappeared again. “There.”

“How does that work?” Hermione asked.

Lyra blinked. “Oh, that? I just applied the ‘exclude’ tag we’ve already built into the spell, since we don’t want it to find either myself or Twilight. We’ll work out a different spell over the summer, that we can put on the Gate, to keep track of who has crossed and who hasn’t- and ensure that the correct people are returned, no matter what. And that, in the event of an accidental crossing, we’re able to locate and correct the issue quickly.”

“What’s that tag thing do?” Silver asked. “Aside from, well, tagging.”

Lyra shrugged. “Nothing, really. It’s just a standing spell, designed to shut down and dispel itself after about three days, so you won’t need to worry about its local overhead for very long at all. And with the whole no-magic-at-home thing that they can’t enforce in Equestria, I rather suspect that you won’t need to worry about that overhead at all, even before it dissipates.” She shrugged. “And if someone’s using spells near you powerful enough that they do need to worry about that overhead, you’ve got bigger problems.”

“What about you?”

“Me? Oh, me and Twilight are only two of Equestria’s finest spellsmiths- we regularly deal with the levels of power an overhead like that can cause problems with. We also- unlike you- know how to dispel it early if need be.” Then she paused, and put a finger to her chin. “Come to think of it, we’ll have to look into getting you at least a basic Equestrian magic education at some point, to enable you to fully utilize your own power. I mean, what I hear Hermione taught you was a great start, but it’s a long shot from the whole thing. Especially with a talent like yours- it’d be almost criminally negligent to not give you the opportunity to study up on it.

“Speaking of which, while I’m here, how do you fancy being a student instructor next year?”

Author's Note:

And that wraps up the second act of this tale. Act 3 incoming!

Patreon, Discord.

... Yes, in case you're wondering, I got that straight from a dictionary. The one Hermione swallowed.