• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 688 Views, 33 Comments

Home Not Sweet Home - CitreneSkys



A dive into what Gallus’s life was back in Griffonstone.

  • ...
0
 33
 688

Outcast

“Watched were your going fledgeling,” the taller griffon sneered, kicking Gallus of his feet.

“You ran into me!” The blue griffon talons gripped the ice, shaking the snow and ice of his fur. He narrowed his blue eyes.

“Did I, Glide?” The griffin asked his friend next to him. Glide, the white and grey griffin, snickered.

“Maybe you did, but honestly? I don’t care,” Glide eyes were pinned onto Gallus. The younger griffon shrunk under the intense gaze of the older griffins. “I heard Gilda was chasing him a few weeks ago because he stole a scone from her stand.”

“Scones? Serriously?!” The brown griffon laughed, shoving the blue griffon aside. Gallus lost his grip on the ice, slipping and falling on the floor with a thud. Sharp talons dug into his shoulder, hoisting his small body of the ground. Gallus let out a squawk of pain, much to the amusement to the other griffons.

“You must be really desperate if you were willing to steal Gilda’s scones, of all things,” the griffin chuckled. Gallus struggles in the grip of older griffin, wincing when the claws dug deeper into is flesh.

“L-let go of me,” Gallus let out a high pitched shrill, flapping his wings in a desperate attempt to get away.

“Goose, maybe you should let the kid go,” Glide voice was anything but sincere. His beak became a cruel smile. “If anything, he’d probably freeze out in this cold weather.”

“Aw what?” Goose pouted. “I was just started having my fun with this fledg-“

Panicked, Gallus swiped his claws across Goose’s face. The brown griffon let out a screech, dropping the young fledgling onto the ground. Gallus quickly scampered to his feet, making his escape.

“You BRAT!” Goose hollered, blood dripping out of his eye. Gallus closed his eyes, instinctively following the path that would lead to his cardboard box. Between the pounding of his heart and the sound of claws scraping across the ice, he couldn’t tell if the Goose was chasing him. Part of him hoped he wasn’t, but another part of him knew that he probably was.

He wasn’t going to lead him back to his box.

Instead of taking his usual right turn, Gallus continued to run straight, flapping his wings in attempt to fly, despite the great pain it brought onto his shoulder. The wind whipped his face, icy snow grazed his shoulder. He continued to run on the path that he’d taken, following the path when it turned left or right.

It wasn’t until he could see the edge to the cliff, signaling the end his path. He skidded to a stop, digging his claws into ground before he could topple over the edge. He turned around for the first time since he started running, and realized that he could barely see with all the snow and wind in his face.

Good news-Goose had stopped chasing him. Bad news- how was he going get to his box now?

Gallus looked around at the unfamiliar land. He’d never strayed this far away from his alleyway before. He wasn’t sure how many rights or lefts he had taken, and flying was out of the question. The blue griffon flapped his wings, his shoulder screaming bloody murder.

Maybe he’d have to look for some other place sleep tonight. The cold air around him made him shiver, and his inner clock told him it was nearing nightfall. The worst of the snowstorm was about to befall him, and he had no shelter.

Yeah, I’m definitely going to die of hypothermia today, Gallus thought grimly. Never in his short, miserable life had he’d wished for thicker fur, yet here he was, shivering with his thin fledgling fluff out in the cold.

Forcing himself to keep moving, he walked-well...slipped seems like the better term-along the iced over roads of Griffonstone. His tiny talons failed to gain traction on the smooth ice, causing Gallus to slided across the surface. Under any other circumstances, and this would have been fun for the young griffon.

Gallus padded towards a nearby alleyway. Carefully, he peered into the alleyway. There sat a elderly looking griffon, coughing up feather and looking displeased. The younger griffin immediately walked past, not wanting to get confronted by yet another griffon.

He knew that time was ticking. The tiny griffon needed to find shelter and he needed to find it now. Gallus’s blues eyes farted around looking for anything that could server as a pseudo-hideout. His tiny talons carried him across the street, fearing the blizzard that was soon to come.

Gallus walked straight into another alleyway. The walls casted a much harsher shadow on the place. When Gallus spotted a house at the end of the alleyway, seeing the light of a small fire burning inside the house.

Weird, he thought alleyways never lead anywhere, the young griffin thought. As much as he was confused, he keeper walking towards it. He definitely wasn’t going to knock on the door, not endless he wanted to get clonked over head, but something told him that staying around here wouldn’t hurt.

Quickly, Gallus had found another cardboard box. It was smaller than the one he’d had called home, but being the small griffon he was, he’d be able to fit. He pushed the cardboard box under the alcove of the house, hoping the snow would be as bad under there.

When he climbed into his temporary box, he’d found a small piece of fabric that lined the bottom. Gallus picked it up between his claws.

Wow, it’s really soft, he was mesmerized by how fuzzy it was. Seriously, how could anything be this soft? Before he could answer any questions of his own, he wind started to pick up, the hail started to fall from the sky. Gallus quickly climbed into the box covering himself with the piece of cloth before closing the flaps of the cardboard box on top to seal out the snow.

It was dark inside the box, the wind started to roar outside, but for once, Gallus felt secure. Sure, his shoulder was still bleeding, and he still felt cold, but he felt oddly safe inside the box.

Maybe it’s the fabric, Gallus thought. The soft pink blanket that laid across his back felt warm and comforting. I hope whoever this belongs to doesn’t mind if someone kept it.