• Published 5th May 2023
  • 225 Views, 4 Comments

Dawn of Midnight - TheApostate



An exploration of the last years before the Banishment.

  • ...
 4
 225

The Regent

I have no time to live!

-Apostle, the Apostate.

Eufrimia and Cherry Aurora walked alone in one of the many corridors of Luna’s castle. Luna had not returned; she was still in her duties outside the walls. She had said nothing of her obligations. She had just left, crudely writing on a spare parchment that Eufrimia was now in charge of the castle.

Typically, following the exhausting period of the Harvest Moon, Luna would have stayed in her residence or venture out with Eufrimia to wherever it would soothe her mind. That time, however, she had not stated the reason for her absence. Rumors abounded; from what her father told Cherry, there was the speculations of a rebellious sentiment brewing not far from Canterlot. And there was, unfortunately, some weight to the theory. Four out of the six cohorts that formed Luna’s personal guardians had unexpectedly left, the remains were visibly more at the ready, and, from Eufrimia’s personal assessment of their depots, had been quite emptied.

‘So?’ mused Cherry. ‘How about a day?’

‘Fuck off. Every time you repeat the same shit. You know? You will stay with me and, for a time,’ she played with Cherry’s belly, ‘take my schedule for your own.’

‘Cut it!’ she complained. Cherry smiled. ‘It will be fun, at least.’

‘Hm…’ She had postponed that promise of accompanying her childhood friend into the day. She felt ever so shameful every time she did not full-fill her promise. ‘I will do it.’

‘Spending more time with you will be awesome.’ Cherry slowly caressed Eufrimia with her head.

‘Eufrimia!’ called old Hekatomb.

‘Hm?’

‘A visit. The Duchess of Tall Tale is at the gate.’

Eufrimia turned toward Cherry. She shrugged – the name rang no bell to her.

‘Then take her to a room.’

‘She wants to meet with the Princess. The Duchess explicitly stated she does not want to sleep here – for the moment…’ he felt weird stating it aloud. ‘I am waiting for your orders.’

‘Want to come, Cherry?’

She shrugged and gazed blankly ahead. ‘Why not? Will be interesting to dip my hooves in that pool.’

****

It should be raining. Astra thought it would have been more appropriate. Maybe she should return another time, when raining would be an assured thing. It always added its little something to an encounter. Her first night with her late husband had been defined by rain. She used to be terrified of lightning, and he of thunder. Before that night, they had never really met themselves; they knew who they were betroth to, but beyond that, they were strangers.

She never loved him. Never as a wife would. He gave her an heir, granted her the proper leverage to rise toward effectively governing half of Equestria, and cement her family’s position at the top of the western aristocracy. He had full filed his purpose as was intended of him. A good friend; nothing more.

With old age, with the cumulated experience, she began resenting that youthful ambition. On a map, half of Equestria appeared as a challenge indeed, but in terms of rule, of potential, it lacked connections. The great cities of the east, fueled by trade with Griffons and the world, did not need them. They had the resources to be self-sufficient and they had the trade routes to never teeter constantly on the edge of a budget crisis. The realm was divided, and if they ever decided to declare independence, other than the sense of Equestrian unity installed in them since childhood and the Sisters draconian approach to the task, she was sure no voices would be raised. Maybe those wanting a good fight would insist, but the loss would not be a point of concern. She only had an ocean at her west. An endless body of water that rendered trade prohibitory expensive.

The Duchess entered the Jewel, the pale-black clade guards took pity on her to follow protocol. She did not mind the cold, but the show of compassion to a controversial figure as her was greatly appreciated.

‘Excuse me,’ a mare called out from the darkness.

Astra removed the hood, and even with the dim light of torches, she keenly noticed two orange orbs heading toward her. They felt familiar for a reason that escaped her. Her mind told her she should be feeling unease at their sight, but she willed the distant call shut. A silhouette of a tall Pony drew closer, somepony, shorter by almost a head, was holding close to her. Could be Celestia and Luna. Astra smiled.

‘I was not told of your arrival,’ the tall mare said.

She showed her features fully in the light. She, a Batpony, with a Unicorn anxiously holding on to her friend’s presence. It was clear she did not want to be here, and her friend’s confidence was reassuring the little one. The two mares’ juxtaposition amused the Duchess. Luna had prepared the tall one for an encounter like this one, but it was abundant that she lacked experience. There could be potential laying underneath; harnessing a possible buried talent was unlikely to occur here. There was confidence, at least, reminding the Duchess of her son’s introduction to the realm.

Eufrimia tilted her head, not understanding what was amusing the visitor. It eased both mares’ postures.

Astra examined their loosened expressions. There was no malice in those glowing eyes. Nothing evil nor malicious. The Batpony sported eyes like the one of children yet to know experience the harsh reality of the world. The Unicorn wore bright green ones. Small eyes she protected behind Eufrimia’s mane, perhaps hoping the Duchess would not notice her angst.

Astra could not help but to smile even more.

‘Greetings,’ she finally greeted the two, her voice measured to not shock the young ones and clear she was accepting of discussion. She had done the same with her husband during their first night together, a technic her father had taught her – one he had used to convince a bellicose court she was his legitimate daughter, amongst other uses. ‘Excuse me for that late arrival and my lack of prevention before that.’

The tall one nodded, followed shortly by the other one. More at ease, but still requiring a slight push to liberate their voices.

‘May I ask who you two are?’

‘I am responsible of Princess Luna’s residence in her stead during her absence.’

Absences, corrected Astra. Always on the run that one. Never in one place to meet; always on campaign, she used to be told when young. Granted the occasional devastating Changelings attacks, raids conducted by northern tribes, and the other myriad of beasts polluting the forests, emerging from whatever maelstrom of horrors that birthed them, would give merit to her remit, they were far from constant.

Unrest had taken up recently, but the east was the receptacle of it all. Astra had made sure every bit of land and every abled-body add to the economic weight of her absent ruler’s realm. She knew fully of Luna’s Harvest Moon, but even with both of those factors taken into consideration, wields and productions were still not enough to declare cursed harmony reached.

The people and overworked and overtaxed lower ranks were no longer content. Resentment, decades old grudges, and the unearthing of ancestral claims and broken promises, were only the start of a dark period of Equestrian history. In the east, the effects were clearer; in the west, with the manner Luna had left them rule, the situation was more stable. For now. To calm the merchant class and nobles, Astra’s son and heir had proposed to implement a more general form of the city councils, to Luna’s realm as a whole. Democracy, he told her the name was. The idea would liberate her from many responsibilities, but it would never reached beyond the realm of ideas. Already Celestia challenged tax reforms and imposed changes of her own; cementing her sister’s role as a figurehead. Her son had managed to convince the Princess to back down from most of her out of touch proposals, experiencing first hoof the impossibility of change. It had saddened her to see an idea he had spent weeks envisage be so callously dismissed.

Astra leered. ‘A fulltime task,’ she told Eufrimia.

‘No,’ a smile drew itself on her expression. ‘Tell me who you are.’

‘Why am I not surprised?’ the amused bitterness of old age showcased clearly in her answer. ‘I am Duchess Astra of Tall Tale. I am regent of this part of Equestria in the Diarch’s – perpetual – absence.’

‘I’ve heard of you. You were never officially appointed as such.’

‘I was chosen by the College. Not in challenge to the Princess’ authority, but to keep her domain stable. Who do you think actually rules when she is absent, dear?’

Eufrimia grimaced, unsure if it was at herself for not knowing an obvious statement or at Astra’s patronizing tone (and she wasn’t sure if patronizing was appropriate here). ‘Her sister can.’

‘HA! She awaits the moment I or any of us start challenging the power of her little sister to finally deal with us. A confusing task; she confuses us with the extent with which we are permitted to utilize our collective authority.’

Astra closed her eyes, forcing herself to stop herself before unleashing the deluge of her thoughts upon both mares.

She asked for the tall one to guide them to the main room. Eufrimia readily obliged.

Minutes passed in silence, though, Astra was thankful, lacked any sort of animosity. From hushed whispers between the two mares, she understood both would have preferred to be left alone. An innocent desire, she regretted not able to repay them with that gone intimacy. If the girl was right about her use of the singular, then Luna must be not that hoof off with them.

‘Is life caring you alright, girls?’ Astra attempted to break the stillness.

‘Eufrimia. My name is Eufrimia. The shy one is Cherry Aurora.’

Astra smiled, ignoring the lack of proper behavior toward a Pony of her personage and amused by the small vexed expression of Cherry. The lack of decorum was almost expected from those close to Luna. ‘Beautiful names. I hope you are doing fine, you two.’

Aurora nodded, adding a subdued, ‘thank you.’

‘Don’t worry too much about protocol and whatnot. Just the proper respect you show to any Pony and it will be enough for me.’

‘I’ll see what I can do,’ shyly but more determinately.

Eufrimia said, caressing Cherry’s back, ‘Thank you for asking, Duchess. I also hope you are… also fine… That you are fine.’

She reassured her for the stuttering. ‘Could be better, Eufrimia. Could be better.’



A thick sheet was covering Eufrimia’s back – that did not concern Astra too much; it was the lack of movement underneath that pushed her curiosity up. Batponies and Pegasi had that odd tick when they had their wings restrained. Every so often, they would spread them to release the built-up urge of flight. Discipline of mind? An incident that tore them of? The poor thing. If it was the case, Astra excused Eufrimia’s attitude; the trauma must be tormenting her still. Aurora’s presence explained itself further. A close friend, but more of a mental tether.

Unlike many in her position, she had frequent contact with the scattered Batpony tribes of Luna’s domain. Dedicated and naturally disciplined, they carried the remit of the Regent of the West in the name of the Princess of the Night with utter efficiency. Maybe if it wasn’t for that allegiance of hers, they would have never answered Astra’s calls or deigned work to push her agenda. Always the isolationist, preferring to keep for themselves then mingle with the rest of them. In the past, Celestia, perhaps in an attempt to mend an ever fracturing relationship with her sister, made steps to integrate the clans. Luna came to join her, but to vein results. The Batponies were more receptive to her words, although it could not convince them to abandon isolation.

Few liked them; always associated with the terrors of the night, with some of her social rank claiming they were impure and a bastardized remnants of Pegasi created by Discord in the long past. Could be – the possibility is there, yet to be proven. But for those more extreme colleagues of her, Astra always came to ask a defining question, one that cut the stream of “fact” completely: Are the Alicorn pure in that case? They are chimeras, in a fashion. Less deformed, immaculately pristine, and closer to a familiar appearance. A deceiving projection they give off, but who is to say that are not impure?

At any rate…

The sub-species had a tumultuous history – if the few written records and passed down oral retellings are anything to go by with. Though, most of the time, myth and historical facts colluded with their appreciation to the only Alicorn that cared enough to live like they have ever done. Kingdoms and monarchs with names half-forgotten or remembered but twisted to resemble the name of their matron. Mona, Lunae, Selena, Selene, Linay, Lula, Lanterna, Amara… etc. Many of those Astra was familiar with. Some say, they had no history of past kingdoms, for they were always an integral part of the Crystal Empire and the stubborn people of Northern Equestria. Then forced to disperse themselves as the Empire entered into turmoil. They had cousins in the south and the vast, more temperate, western mountain ranges; here they elected to continue living. Cultures blended, history was forgotten, and myth were born; Luna and Celestia filled the gaps, and stories started being passed down generation to generation, more embellished and more engrained.

‘I know all of this history, and more,’ said Eufrimia, pleased and impressed by the old Duchess knowledge of her kind. ‘And it is Thestral, not “Batpony”. You have Pegasi and Unicorns, and we are Thestrals.’

‘A past lover of mine never minded me calling him a Batpony.’

‘My clan say we are Thestrals. My father told me so.’

‘Who am I to argue with the father?’ she half-smiled. ‘What do you think of the origin of yours?’

‘I like your retort. I wish to have met with you earlier.’

Diverting the question. A trusted of Luna or Celestia that Eufrimia girl is?

‘Anyways,’ Cherry surprised both by her calm interjection. ‘Things began with a song, after all. It gave me my friend; let us not care much about it.’

‘The melody is fine. It is the musicians I am more worried about,’ said Eufrimia.

‘An echo chamber deafens every creature in it and outside it,’ added Aurora.

Astra smiled at the shy mare’s answer and her partners congratulating her with gentle gestures.

For a moment, she had forgotten the reason of her visit. Part of her wished Luna to never show up.



They sat down next to the chimney. Astra diluted her heating spell. How much Eufrimia wanted to relish more its effect, she did not wish to bet on the boundaries of respect. Cherry’s gentle pushes had also downplayed her friend’s wants; the habit had stopped registering explicitly.

Astra asked about Luna, wondering what was keeping her wayward mistress out of her ancestral role. Of course, Eufrimia answered truthfully.

As she recounted her experience, Astra remained silent, studying the manner the Thestral was answering. A passion that a certain obfuscated negativity. A keen difference Astra did not levy; it felt too close to home. The more Eufrimia spoke, Astra created a canvas in her head – a timeline of her surprise visits. They all coincided in perfect uniformity, in infuriating prescience. Her son’s proposal tempted her even more.

Hours passed. Each mare counting her past experiences to the others. While Cherry’s shyness had marginally improved, the other two encouragement permitted her to finish a retelling of hers. Astra complemented her for the words choice and use of flowery language. So impressed was the Duchess, she requested of the mare to provide her with some her writings, and, in time, she might commission a tome from Cherry. She was reluctant at first, but Eufrimia’s encouragements paid off, and a promise was made to Astra.

Eventually, Cherry had to excuse herself, leaving Eufrimia and Astra sitting in awkward silence, finishing the yams and potatoes they had grilled. Eufrimia had added scorpions – her favorite meal. Astra had to admit, the crunch made it tempting, but the Bat- Thestral was clear it was her top one meal.

Not for long, however.

The door slowly opened; a hooded Pony entered. She knew Eufrimia wasn’t alone, rendering all shreds of anticipation null. Her head tilted downward, and, using her hoof, she closed the door, taking her time to not make the wood cry.

She removed her brow hood, letting her deep-blue mane roll down her neck. It did not glimmer, it did not shine; it simply dropped as any mane would. It levitated, but barely to consider the thing abnormal. But for Luna, it was abnormal. In twenty-five years, never had Cherry seen Luna so weakened, so vulnerable. Another dispute? Something more heinous?

However much questions she could envisage, Luna would answer none of them.

‘Astra,’ contemptuously greeted Luna.

‘I am surprised you recognize me still, Princess.’ The Duchess firmly stood up. ‘It has been thirty years since we last spoke.’

Eufrimia fixated Luna, hardly envisaging the patience of the Duchess and the callousness of her aunt. An entire lifetime, an entire adult life, her entire life until now. Was she the responsible? Had she delayed Astra’s plans that much? Was she mad at her? Eufrimia had told Astra her age, she told her of their travels, and some of Luna’s actions and words. She should have stayed silent. She played directly into the Duchess’ trap. Was the promise made to Cherry just a ploy to goad her? Will the Duchess shred her friend’s work?

Luna’s mane brightened up for a second, silencing Eufrimia’s churning mind.

‘Your task is appreciated, Duchess Astra. You will-’

‘I don’t need any rewards or sycophancy coming from you. I don’t want anything from you.’

Luna rid herself from the cloak. She spread her wings, but the motion was a weak one. It lacked determination, it lacked any sense of urgency or elegance. All Astra saw before her, standing wearily and ostensibly, was a child showing her toys. The child was centuries old, but her features did not lie of the true mental growth of her mistress. Though, beneath her wings, under the dim mane, Astra saw scars. She dismissed them as vestiges of a more mature age.

‘Why are you here, then?’ asked Luna. ‘You have done superlative work. I have nothing to add to it or to this conversation.’

‘You have a warped definition of “superlative”,’ she said like addressing a petulant child. ‘Not only we have to deal with the constant meddling of your sister, but we also have to fend off northern raids, crop failure in the southwest, and, in turn, discontent coming from both rural and urban populations. We cannot act appropriately in face of those issues.’

‘Later.’

No.’

‘Excuse me?’

‘I said: no,’ she mused with that word and approached Luna with determination behind every step, not wavering one bit. ‘I am here to discuss problems facing your domain, Diarch. And you will hear my words about for the first time in thirty years.’

‘I am not obliged by you. You appointed your-’

‘You dumb bitch,’ she let out. ‘If you had been here then I would not be demanding this of you. I would not be here to ask for help from an overgrown child. In brief, I don’t like you – and it is dangerously averaging into hate.’

Luna winced, her voice rumbling like an ancient thunder. ‘Traitor.’

‘A loyal traitor, I prefer,’ corrected Astra.

What does it even mean?

‘I am loyal to Equestria,’ her voice did not waver. ‘You are simple tools to keep the whole thing unified – nothing more. In harmony, as you two like to clamor and blare. Well, the fat ass she is and the child that you are. Of course, without discounting the other things you also do, which – I will add – are the only actions you accomplish with complete proficiency and are of any use for us all.’

Derogatory, the path to rebellion.’

She knew Luna ignored almost everything she had just said. ‘Now you care?’ Astra held on to her laugh. ‘After thirty years of me assuming a regency created years ago because of your abandonment, you come to me with this? In your wanderings, you must have witnessed our deeds – I doubt you’ve even bothered, however. We are no traitors. And for the past couple centuries, it has never been so. We have administered your lands diligently and according to the precepts you, precious Maiden of Dreams, put in place. We have strived and still are striving to keep true to them, but we are alone. You are never present; your sister is, but distant and uncaring. We will never rebel, but we are exasperated by the childish behavior you two display. You are better relegated as simple tools and symbols than actual pieces with influence. You were once examples once, now you are rancid and a poison running down the head of Equestria. Yet, you are also the remedy to it. And with those facts, only you two can decide the path we, as a whole, will take. What can I do? Rebel with what army? The militias the border provinces are only permitted to levy? I’ve been complaining all my life of your imbecilities. You’ve centered Equestria around yourselves. Somehow, you’ve managed to create a circle with two centers.’

Eufrimia felt completely taken by her speech, more than anything she had ever heard before. She turned toward Luna; she was placid.

Unleash.

Astra continued. ‘We are loyal to Equestria.’

The room stayed silent.

‘And to us,’ finally said Luna. A quick jolt from a vestigial pain running down her right leg, crumbled any sense of authority she wanted Astra to perceive from her attempted stand. She opened, unwillingly, the decisive attack vector for Astra to take advantage of.

Astra approached her, almost touching the Princess, looking down the Alicorn directly into the eyes.

We are loyal to Equestria.

Unleash.

Anger flared in Luna’s eyes. Astra saw it, but was not impressed. She turned away from her ruler, smiling to Eufrimia like a grandmother would, and exited the door without waiting for a response. She would be permitted to leave the Jewel and return to her place of rule, living the remains of her life in the same manner she had always done.

Eufrimia moved closer, unsure how to approach the darkened expression of Luna. She was scared of her. Scared to speak with her.

‘Luna…’

‘I am tired,’ she started sobbing. ‘I am not made for this. I am exhausted. I just want everything to just end. There is nothing left… Everyone is gone. Nothing I do will ever be enough. Why do I bother with dreams? I don’t have any myself. I have nothing to do. I just wander around and around to places I’ve seen countless times over. Everything has turned dull. Almost nothing I once knew is left. I used to do things because it was right, because it was kind, because it was the decent thing to do. I don’t know why I still do things anymore. I always knew it would be hard, I never imagined it would be simple. But I can’t anymore. Everything changed… Why can’t I do it? I want to change. I want to adapt. Why can’t I do it?’

‘We can’t all adapt to change.’

But why I cannot?’ she snapped. She stared into Eufrimia glowing eyes. Her breathing trembled. ‘What…? What choice do I have other than to adapt? I cannot but try, try, and try! You always ask for more. You always demand and expect more. I am not my sister. I wish I was; she can do what I cannot. I am stuck in a past I cannot dig myself out of. I know it. I know it, Eufi. I know my problems. I know it is my fault. And I know I am weak. Deeds endure, they say. But from what I’ve witnessed and experienced, deeds do not endure.’

Eufrimia looked down, avoiding Luna’s gaze.

‘Just say it. Say I am insufferable. Say you do not want to stay here anymore. Go away and leave if you want. I gave up a long time ago. I don’t know what I am doing anymore-’

‘My name is Eufrimia.’

There was a long pause.

‘And?’

‘That is the name you gave me.’

‘I did not give you this name.’

‘You gave me a life.’

‘I am not your mother.’

‘I know! But you let me be this Thestral, you give me an education and friends. Deeds do endure. You gave me your best, and I turned out good.’

‘I-I p-prefer you leave. It-t is b-better. L-look at you… You look like me… it will not last… Leave, Eufraty. It is preferable than next to me.’

Eufrimia moved. She forcibly took a weak and weary Luna into an embrace. She kissed her on the cheek until she lost breath.

She leaned her head next to Luna’s.

‘I stay because I love you. Because I know it calms you. Maybe your many roles need to be put aside temporarily. Let us just stay here. Not for winter only but because it is home. What do you say? You will stop answering to others and you will be alone. Don’t copy your sister. Be a better Luna! A better Luna using the foundations of the old.’

‘I ca-’

‘I want you to do it.’ She knew Luna rarely denied her anything.

It was not make an exception; Luna nodded.

‘I am tired.’

‘Want me to take you to bed?’

Eufrimia put an arm underneath Luna shoulder.

A grunt and Eufrimia took Luna away.

Unleash!