• Published 22nd Mar 2024
  • 497 Views, 94 Comments

Nine Elements presents: Spike the Werepony - BlueBioWolf

  • ...
0
 94
 497

Chapter 2: Werepony

My Little Pony: Nine Elements presents: Spike the Werepony

Written by Brandon Nell and Blake Hawkins

Chapter 2: Werepony

The next morning as the sun’s rays cascaded into Twilight and Spike’s room through the window, Spike felt the pain from the night before and began screaming in agony. The mares awoke in alarm with these sounds.

“Spike!” they collectively said in a worried tone.

As Spike convulsed, he turned back into his dragon form, clear agony on his face. Mercifully, he passed out before having to endure much more. The mares saw that Spike returned to normal.

“Yippee, Spike’s all better!” Pinkie said happily.

“That might be pushing it,” Fluttershy said.

“Yeah,” Applejack said. “We’ll still need ta figger out why this happened ta Spike. The trip ta Canterlot ta see the princesses’s still top o’ our list.”

“I’ll draft a letter to the princesses,” Rarity said. “Spike can send it when he comes to.”

“And we should take the mirror out of his loose dragon scales,” Fluttershy suggested. “There might be a chance he transforms into a pony again, so, we’ll want to have the mirror available so it isn’t stuck in Spike’s body.”

Rarity levitated the mirror out of Spike’s loose scales. Slowly, Spike started to wake up. He seemed to struggle even more.

“Spike?” Twilight said soothingly.

“Ugh,” Spike groaned. “I’m starving.”

“We can help you with that,” Pinkie smiled.

During breakfast, Spike stuffed his face as if he’d never seen food before.

“I guess changing from a dragon, to a pony, and back to a dragon again can affect the appetite,” Twilight observed. “Hopefully, the princesses can tell us more.”

Soon, Spike had his fill. By this time, Rarity had finished the letter for the royal sisters. Spike sent it off.

“So,” Twilight said. “While we wait for a response, what shall we do to pass the time?”


In Canterlot, Celestia and Luna received the scroll. They read through it, growing ever alarmed with each sentence.

“The symptoms are clear,” Luna said. “Spike has become a werepony.”

“We must alert Spike and his friends at once,” Celestia said. “I’ll send Shining Armor to arrange an escort.”

Shining Armor and Princess Cadance had finished their honeymoon the night before.

“Understood, sister,” Luna said.

Later, Shining had been briefed on what’s happening.

“What?” he gasped. “Spike became a werepony?”

“Yes,” Luna said. “And as a result, he’s in danger.”

“Then,” Shining Armor said. “I’ll protect my little nephew.”

“Not that sort of danger,” Luna said. “We will explain later. First, you must escort Spike and the Guardians of Harmony here.”

“Right away, your highness,” Shining Armor said before heading out.


Back in Ponyville, Rainbow met up with the other Guardians and saw that Spike was struggling to stand.

“Hey, Spike,” Rainbow said. “You feeling okay?”

“Define ‘okay,’” Spike said.

“Need some help there?” she asked.

Spike stepped back a bit from Rainbow.

“Don’t take this the wrong way,” he said. “But, I have this fear of heights now and your tendency to be rough doesn’t exactly help.”

“Oh, right,” Rainbow said. “Sorry. Wait, where’d this fear come from?”

“Remember the day after my birthday this year and Rarity and I fell from the sky?” Spike asked rhetorically.

“Oh…” Rainbow said. “Yeah, that’ll do it.”

Soon, a carriage pulled by two of Celestia’s pegasus guards arrived. The door opened to reveal Shining Armor and Cadance.

“The princesses sent us to escort you and your friends to Canterlot,” Shining Armor said. “Climb aboard.”

Rainbow, noticing how nervous Spike looked, decided to help Spike onto the carriage. The other guardians followed suit with Twilight comforting Spike.

“Stay close to me, Spike,” Twilight said soothingly. “I’ll keep you safe.”

“As will I,” Rarity said.

Spike took deep breaths. Being surrounded by the ones he loved helped to keep him comfortable.


Soon, they arrived in Canterlot as the sun was setting. The carriage settled down in front of the castle. Shining Armor and Cadance led the Guardians to the drawing room just as the moon started to rise. Luna and Celestia were already there.

“We’ll allow you to get settled in,” Shining Armor said.

As Spike climbed down from Twilight’s back, he stepped into the moonlight and his body convulsed before he exploded into smoke and scales while screaming in agony. The other ponies witnessed the abject horror before them.

“What the Tartarus is going on?!” Rainbow cried.

“It’s what we’ve learned from the letter Rarity sent to us,” Luna said grimly. “Spike has become a werepony.”

“A werepony?” Twilight asked. “How did this happen?”

“A werepony,” Celestia explained. “Is very rare and can only happen to young dragons. When a dragon is shedding his scales, like Spike was, they become vulnerable. If during this time, their unprotected flesh comes into contact with the saliva of a pony suffering from pony pox, they can be infected and the only cure is a spell performed by four or more casters."

“So…” Twilight concluded. “He became a werepony because of me… I was sick with pony pox and I gave him a forehead kiss.”

“Did Spike still have scales where you kissed him?” Luna asked. Twilight nodded. “Then, he couldn’t have gotten infected there.”

“So, it wasn’t yer fault, Twi,” Applejack said. “We know ya wouldn’t do anythin’ like this on purpose er by accident.”

“So,” Pinkie ventured. “Since Spike got hit by a dart that turned him into a werepony… could it mean that that dart had pony pox spit in it? That’s gross!”

“A dart?” Luna gasped. “Then, this wasn’t an accident. Another creature planned this!”

“But, who?” Fluttershy asked. “And why would they do this to Spike?”

When the smoke cleared, Spike was a pony again. But, he seemed weaker than the night before. Twilight gently cradled him in her forehooves.

“We must cure him and fast,” Rarity said.

“Why more than four?” Twilight asked.

"The amount of magic necessary to break the curse and seal Spike into his true form is so taxing that one or even two spell casters alone could die in the process," Luna explained. "That is why at least four are needed. Spreading the strain out is simply safer."

“There are at least six of us with horns and magic here,” Twilight said. “The three princesses, myself, my brother, and Rarity.”

Spike began to stir.

“Spike,” Fluttershy said soothingly. “How do you feel?”

“Well,” Spike said. “I felt my bones all breaking and shifting at the same time, so, I’m not exactly feeling so hot.”

“‘N with how much ya switch between bein’ cold-blooded n’ warm-blooded,” Applejack noted. “It can’t be good fer yer heart.” The other ponies looked at her in surprise at the detailed hypothesis she gave. “What? Ah can’t learn no bio-lomogy?”

“It’s biology, but, that’s not the point now,” Twilight said. “The point is we need to help Spike and figure out who did this to him.”

“Our top priority is breaking the curse,” Luna said. “Spike may like being a pony, but, he can’t stay this way.”

“Honestly,” Spike said. “I’m not exactly sold on this form.” As he listed his reasons why, he became increasingly sadder. “I can’t walk all that well, I keep tripping, I can’t hold a broom that well, and when I turn into this, I feel like I’m getting torn apart and put back together.” His voice began to break. “I just don’t feel it’s worth the pain it brings.” He started sobbing deeply. Twilight and Rarity comforted the colt.

“Let it all out, Spike,” Twilight said soothingly, rubbing his back gently.

“For what it’s worth, Spike,” Rarity said. “We care about you as a dragon and we always will. We would never want you to change who you were in an unnatural way.”

“Indeed,” Luna said. “Changing into a pony every time the moon rises is a terrible strain on your body. However, my sister and I will not force you into a decision. You can either return to being a dragon or you can stay as you are now, but, you must understand, the constant shifting from one form to the other is extremely harmful and will significantly shorten your lifespan."

“The sooner I can be a dragon again,” Spike said between breaths. “The better.”

“If he’s cured,” Rarity asked. “Will he stay that weak? Will every day be a struggle for him?”

“No,” Luna said. “If he returns to his true form, he will regain his strength and vitality and live out his life as if nothing had happened."

“Well,” Rarity said. “I shall do all I can to remove this affliction on our beloved Spike.”

“I’m afraid it’s not so simple,” Luna said. “If Spike chooses to stay a dragon, we have to wait until he changes back.” She directed her attention to Spike. “I want you to really think about this, but, do not take too long. The longer you stay like this, the more difficult it will be to change you back. Even with our combined ability, after a week, we will not be able to cure you at all. With that in mind, I'm giving you two days to decide."

“I think it’s pretty evident that Spike should be a dragon again,” Rainbow said. “So, why can’t we just wait until the sun comes back up tomorrow and then do the whole magic cure thing?”

“We do not wish to force him,” Luna said. “We would prefer he make the decision on his own.”

Rainbow sighed. “Fine,” she said with a light huff. “But, I think he said it himself that he would rather be a dragon again.”

“I would,” Spike said. “But, I imagine it’ll take a while for the spellcasters to gather enough magic and deep down, I’ve wanted to be a pony.” He groaned in frustration. “I’m so conflicted.”

“Hence the two day thinking period,” Luna said. “As the transformation took a lot of energy, it would be prudent for you to get some rest.”

“Yeah, sure,” Spike said after taking a second to calm down. “Uh, out of curiosity, do wereponies have mood swings?”

“Frequently,” Luna explained. “In your transformed state, you’re in a heightened emotional state. When you feel sad, it borders on depression. When you feel anger, well, we’re well aware of how angry you can get under normal circumstances.”

“Yeah,” Spike said sheepishly. “I think it’d be a good idea for me not to get too emotional like this. Normally, the worst thing I'd do when angry is yell. In this state, my anger could hurt somepony and I don’t want that.”

“Understood,” Luna said.

Shining Armor escorted Spike to the tower room Spike and Twilight lived in two years prior.

Author's Note:

Here's the next chapter. Interesting fact, I legit shed tears when writing Spike sad.

To read the original story, please refer to the following link.

Comments? Questions? Thoughts? You know where to leave them.