• Published 4th May 2024
  • 241 Views, 2 Comments

Great Granny Smith - Anal_Destroyer_0706



Granny Smith talks to a "new" visitor (Dialogue Only contest)

  • ...
1
 2
 241

The Chat


"Howdy do! Now...ain't this something? Looks to me like I got m'self a new visitor. I wasn't told about nopony comin' over, otherwise I'd gotten out of my bed and dressed nicely."

"..."

"See, I don't get many new visitors these days, and none nearly as itty-bitty as you are! C'mere! Don't be shy! This curmudgeonly ol' biddy don't bite! Come closer so I can get a better look at ya. My eyes ain't so shrewd no more."

"..."

"Hmph. Looks to me like ya ain't eatin' so good, sonny, what with yer twiggy legs and minute stature. But if those ain't the biggest, greenest eyes I ever done seen and the most handsome head o' hair. What's yer name?"

"...buh-bllpp..."

"You'll have to pardon me, youngin', yer gonna have to speak up. I'm old, ya see. Ears are all dusty and full o' cobwebs."

"Plllpp...buhbuh..."

"Well I'll be! Can't say I heard o' a 'Plumbum' in Ponyville! That Pinkie Pie woulda thrown you a hoot of a party if you're new in town. You came all the way to Ponyville to see me? Look at me, little ol' Granny Smith, bringing in all the handsome, young colts from all over at my age! Hehe! No surprise there. What with that Twilight filly takin' over Princess Celestia's job, there's been all sorts of creatures and ponies comin' through Ponyville. Nice to meet you, 'Plumbum'! And what, pray tell, part of Equestria are ya from?"

"?"

"Hmph. Ain't much of a talker, ain'tcha? You're like one o' my grandkids. The big red one. If you see him 'round, let him know that Granny Smith wants to meet the newborn foal when that Sugar Belle filly finally pops. Hah! Can you believe that? They'll be callin' me Great Granny Smith real soon. Real soon. Real soon...soon..."

"..."

"Where was I? Where was I...? Where am I? Shoot, I'd forget my mane if it weren't growin' out my scalp. I'm...this is my bed. This is my room, all right...Whew. Mystery solved."

"Ugugh..."

"'Scuse me one moment, Plumbum. Gonna see if anypony's home. Mac? Are ya out there? Mac! Don't make me holler for ya! My lungs ain't what they used to be! Ma-Ack! Ahack! Darn ol' -Ack!- cough. Where's that little yellow one with her water jug?"

"Wawah..."

"What's that? Water? Oh, there it is. My, oh my, they rolled out the fancy pitcher and cups for me, didn't they? Well, don't mind if I do! Plumbum, be a dear and help pass me the jug? I can't...can't quite...reach."

"Hnnggh!"

"You got some fine grey matter between yer ears, sonny. Thanks for shovin' that ol' nightstand closer. I'mma help myself to some of Equestria's finest water from one of these fancy little plastic cups. Shoot. This jug is heavy."

"Granny? You called? Little Mac! How'd you get up here on your own?"

"There ye are, Mac. You took yer sweet time getting here, didn't ya? Didn't ya hear me hollerin' for ya?"

"I, uh...Eeyup. Now what did I tell you about pickin' up that water jug by yourself, Granny? Here, let me."

"Thank you kindly, Mac. Just like that...a little more...and hold it right there! That's plenty o' water."

"Need any help with the cup, Granny?"

"Thank you kindly, but don't you go thinkin' I can't do nothin' by myself. And don't you think all yer butterin' up will make me forgive ya for one instant!"

"Forgive me for what, Granny?"

"For not informin' your dear ol' granny that we have a guest over! Why, are ya blind? He's sittin' right there on the floor, no seat, no cushion, no nothin'!"

"Granny..."

"I thought I taught you all there is to know about the ways of the Apple family and our hospitality, and yet our poor, purple guest is sat flank to plank! Shame on y-ough! Ack!"

"Granny! Drink your water, Granny. Slow and steady. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. The Apple Family way. Aaaand gulp it down. Just like that."

"Ah, that's refreshing. Please give my compliments to the chef. It ain't cider, but you bet I'm gonna help myself to seconds."

"Bottoms up, Granny. If you don't stay hydrated, you'll start coughin' again."

"What are ya, a doctor now?"

"Nope. Not quite. Are you comfortable, Granny?"

"Snug as a rug in a bug. Made even better with some handsome company."

"Granny, you probably don't remember, but this here 'guest' is somepony you've been wanting to meet for a while."

"Oh my. I have?"

"Eeyup."

"Now who could that be?"

"Well, to tell you the truth, you've met him a few times already now."

"Don't keep me in suspense. It ain't good for my heart."

"His name is - c'mere, you. Up you go - this here is Little Mac. He's my son. He's your...great grandson. And look, Little Mac! That's your great grandmama. Can you say that for me? Great grandmama?"

"Guwah..wama..."

"My great grandson, is he?"

"Eeyup!"

"Don't be getting ahead of yourself there, Mac. Surely he'd be my grandson."

"Granny?"

"Well, you and that Pear Butter filly gave me Big Mac, Applejack, and Apple Bloom, and they're my grandkids."

"Oh, Granny..."

"Ya see? That's what skippin' school gets ya, Bright Mac."

"I'm Big Mac. Big Macintosh, Granny..."

"Big Macintosh?"

"Eeyup..."

"Hm. I could have sworn that...yes, it's comin' to me now..."

"Granny?"

"You're a dead ringer for him, I tell you. I tell you, Bright Mac."

"Big Macintosh."

"Yes, you are. You'll have to forgive me, Big Macintosh."

"Granny, you ain't got a thing to apologise for."

"I did it again, didn't I?"

"Granny, I said you don't got a thing to be sorry for."

"How many times has it been now?"

"Only once since we've been talkin' just now."

"Do I do it a lot?"

"You do, Granny. But it ain't something for you to worry about."

"How d'ya know that? You a doctor now, Mac?"

"You already asked me that. Nope, but we got a doctor and she says you're fine, and it ain't nothin' to fret over."

"Hrrm."

"We're treating you here at home, Granny. They say that being someplace familiar might help you...center yourself. For when you drift off again."

"'When' huh? Is it really that bad?"

"It's...coming and going. More often. But again..."

"I know, I know. Nothin' to fret over."

"..."

"Hm."

"Excuse us a moment, Granny. I'm gonna bring Li'l Mac to his momma. I'll be back, quick as a hiccup."

"Leaving so soon? Aw shoot. Well, I'll be here then."


"Granny? You awake?"

"Howdy do! Now...ain't this something? Looks to me like I got m'self another visitor! I'm feelin' mighty pop-ular today!"

"Granny, it's me again. And is that right? 'Another' visitor?"

"Darn tootin'! You'll never guess who came to visit me earlier, Mac!"

"Really? Who?"

"Why, who else but my own great grandson? Plumbum! He came all the way from outta town to see me."

"You mean Little Mac, Granny?"

"Oh, I'm sure it's Plumbum. He's purple, like a plum, and he's got big, pinchable cheeks! Like a bum. So it's easy to remember! Don't you go thinkin' ol' Granny Smith's grey matter has left the station just yet!"

"Did ya talk 'bout anything?"

"Sure as sherbert! Get this; he said that Twilight Sparkle is the Princess now."

"Eeyup. She sure is."

"Hoo-whee. Didn't see that one comin'."

"Are you still comfortable, Granny? Can I get you anything?"

"Bug as a snug in a rug! And yes, I'd very much like something."

"Anything, Granny."

"If it isn't any trouble, could you bring Pear Bu-...No. What I meant to ask is...could you bring Sugar Belle up here? I wanna see first-hoof how far along she is."

"What do you mean?"

"She's pregnant, ain't she?"

"Oh, naw, Granny. That was months ago. She's downstairs, feeding Little Mac right now."

"Little Mac?"

"Eeyup."

"Ah, 'course. Little Mac. Hm."

"You feelin' tired, Granny? I can leave you to sleep."

"No, no. I'm happy to have you here to flap gums with. What was I saying?"

"You wanted something, Granny. You wanted to see Sugar Belle."

"I sure do. But before that, I'd like something else. Big Mac? Come scooch a little closer. I'd like your hoof, please...I have something I wanna say, while I still can remember to say it."

"O' Course..."

"My, you've grown big. You're dressed smart, and you're a big stallion with a wife and kid of his own now, ain't ya? My, what a lovely family you're making."

"Thanks, Granny."

"Big Mac. I know full well how this ol' mare gets sometimes."

"What do you mean, Granny?"

"Bless your heart, Mac. You don't have to play dumb. You're a smart young stallion. I would even venture to say that you're Bright, Mac."

"Snort"

"Anywho, what I was going to say was...I know how I can get sometimes. How frequently I go blank and how I have to...how'd you say it?"

"Center yourself?"

"That's it. I have to center myself more often. And you keep sayin' it's something I don't gotta worry about or fret over. And before you say it again, jus' let me finish. I know you're doin' your best to...keep me comfortable and happy. Tryin' to make me think of somethin' else. But, I can't help but worry."

"Granny..."

"It's times like these where it's all clear, like a Zap Apple jam jar that's passed selection. Sometimes it happens when I'm sittin' here on my lonesome. I remember so darn much, but forget just as much too. Does that make a lick o' sense?"

"Eeyup..."

"I'd like to tell you my thoughts, as much as I can muster before I go driftin' again. While everything is still clear, for however short a time that may be. Just...nod your head for me. I don't wanna lose my train of thought."

"..."

"Thank you. Ya see, I can clearly remember your pa and your ma. Getting together. I remember y'all getting yer cutie marks. I struggle a little with remembering...you hitchin' up with Sugar Belle an' Applejack getting together with that rainbow gal. It means just as much to me, so it should stick like molasses. It's mighty frustrating when I start forgetting more and more. It's like everything is at the tip of my tongue and I just can't spit it out.

"I guess what I really wanted to say is that...I can't bear the thought of forgetting the ponies I love. Shoot. My own great grandson was sittin' just there on the floor, all sweet and big-eyed, and I didn't know who he was. But I know I love him. I know how nice seeing him makes me feel. I can't say for certain how many times you've visited me with the little 'un, but...would you kindly keep doing it?"

"..."

"You can talk now. I'm done."

"'Course Granny. We'll come. As many times as ya like."

"You sure know how to spoil your dear ol' Granny, Mac. I'm mighty sorry if I don't remember it all."

"It ain't a problem, Granny. Would you...like to see him again?"

"Well, I reckon there's no better time than now to bring him back up. I'd like to have a look a look at him while I'm still feelin' clear."

"All right then. You just sit tight, Granny. I'll come bring Sugar Belle and Little Mac right up."

"And Big Macintosh?"

"Granny?"

"Even if I...don't stay clear by the time you get back. Just play along. If anything, I reckon it ain't so bad to meet Little Mac for the "first" time. Again and again."

"I-uh...I can do that for you."

"One more thing, Big Mac."

"Ma'am?"

"Have we...talked about all this before?"

"Well...we ha-"

"Nevermind that. Don't tell me. I love you dearly, Big Macintosh. Now wipe your eyes and bring me my great grandson."

"Yes, ma'am."


"Granny? I'm back. Y'know, I got word that Applejack will be along in a few days to pay you a visit. Her and Rainbow Dash are on their way back from their anniversary getaway in Las Pegasus. Said she hopes you don't mind that she's using your Membership, heh. And I...uh, I brought Sugar Belle and Little Mac with me, like I said I would do. Little Mac has something he wants to give you. Don't you?"

"Fwawa..."

"That's right. Flowers. From those nice flower sisters. Just put them right there, son. Just like that."

"Fwawa."

"Granny, I...I have a lot I wanted to say to you. It's all things you already know. But I just can't seem to spit 'em out. Funny, ain't it..."

"Mac, are you okay?"

"Eeyup...I-I'm fine. I'm fine."

"Are you sure? Do you want to take a moment?"

"Nope, I'm all right, Sugar Belle. Granny, I guess what I really wanted to say to you today is that...that..."

"You can do it, Mac..."

"I love you. We love you. And we miss you."

Comments ( 2 )

im not crying. i swear. cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.

A very sweet and poignant view of aging and the unbreakable bonds of Family.

Author's Note: I can't write dialogue for squat. Sorry about that

I disagree.


And so does the tear slipping down my face...

Login or register to comment