• Published 16th Nov 2012
  • 2,457 Views, 33 Comments

Stars In The Day - NightInk



A sequel to "Embracing The Night", Celestia visits the newlyweds with a seemingly small pr

  • ...
4
 33
 2,457

The Happy, Newlywed Life

So, I should probably start with telling you my name. I never did last time. It worked out, because no one really used it, but as I spent more time living in Equestria, more ponies learned it and used it. My name is Adam. For you who are coming in blind, I am both an alicorn and a human. But that’s a whole different story. What you need to know is that I am considered a hero on Equestria and an oddity on Earth. I can transform between my alicorn and my human forms. Both forms have magical abilities and wings, though my alicorn body is much more magically powerful and my human body, due to its more slender size and shape, is much more suited for flying.

I control the Element of Life, which you may not have heard of that’s because I created the Elemental form of Life. Again, that’s a long story. Also, during that story, I was killed by Nightmare Moon, and when I came back to life, the price was being cursed with a skeletal hand. Really, it’s pretty sweet, though, because I can take it off and still control it and cool stuff like that. That’s all you really need to know right now, at least if you’re coming into this tale blind. That and I’m married to Princess Luna. The rest I’ll explain as it comes, or it will explain itself.

So, that’s a lot to take in all at once. Now here’s the rest of the story. It didn’t start in Equestria. It actually started in an apartment in Alaska. Yeah, I know, “Why would someone with magic and wings want to live in a crap-hole like that?” The truth is, though, I’ve always loved it. I grew up here. The cold appeals to me more than the sand and the sun in many ways. There are less people to try to deal with, and they seem to be friendlier in general than people from other places. Of course, even with the wings I don’t travel much on Earth, so I could be biased. Plus, when snow gets in your eyes, it doesn’t burn or sting like sand does, and I have the reputation of being... A bit clumsy, I guess you could say. So soft, non-corrosive padding on the ground eight out of twelve months is a good thing.

Back to the apartment. It’s my home on Earth with Luna. My Princess. She can change from being an alicorn to a human too. We didn’t figure it out until I had done it, and luckily we found an easier way for her to do it for the first time than me. My first time I had to take the power directly from the Elements of Harmony. Yes, that means that I got hit by a blast from them during battle. It’s not as bad as it sounds, I was a good guy. With Luna though, we just had Twilight, Celestia, and I all cast the transformation spell at once. Since Luna doesn’t carry an Element, it was a little easier. She’s just as beautiful as a human as when she’s a pony, my girl. Tall and slender, with alabaster skin and midnight black hair flowing past her shoulders, and her eyes look just like they do when she’s in Pony form, just human shaped.

Anyways, it was a lazy Sunday. We were hanging around the house, kind of just relaxing. I didn’t have any classes that day (I’m slowly working towards a nursing degree), and she didn’t have any royal duties that day. Celestia had been incredibly understanding with the whole situation, helping with the moon and stars when Luna was on Earth with me, and continuing to do the lion’s share of the royal duties. I was truthfully a little surprised she was so cool with all of it. She hadn’t been my biggest fan at first. In fact, when we first met she tried to kill me. At least, I maintain that. She claims it was a wounding/warning shot, but if I hadn’t ducked I think it would have gone through my heart instead of just giving me a nasty scar on my left arm.

Sorry, I keep allowing myself to get sidetracked. Lazy Sunday. I had no classes and Luna was free of her duties for a while. We were just lying about in our human bodies, playing ‘Super Smash Bros. Brawl’ and drinking soda. That woman is damn near unstoppable as Mario, let me tell you. We were trying to finish a particularly brutal round when suddenly a shimmering purple light appeared right in front of the screen. As the light grew, a small black tear seemed to form out of thin air in the middle of it. It was right in the middle of the screen, too. As the line grew wider and longer, or characters cries grew more frequent and more erratic as we both mashed buttons, each trying desperately to kill the other while we were distracted. As the light and the tear grew to it’d full size, big enough for Celestia to walk through without ducking, I heard my Link give a final cry of anguish as he was knocked from his place in the Pokémon Stadium. Dropping my remote in defeat and mimicking his cry as best I could, I gave a laughing Luna a quick kiss as her sister walked through the portal.

“Good day, you two,” she said, her face not quite happy and not quite upset. “Having a good time?”

“Well, she is!” I said, keeping up the act of the emasculated gamer husband. “I had her! You couldn’t have waited thirty seconds? You know, sometimes I think you two plan this out.”

Chuckling only slightly, Celestia said, “You haven’t been able to beat her in the year and a half you’ve known each other, I don’t think today was going to be any different.”

Clutching my chest and falling against Luna in mock pain, I faked Links death cry again. “Oh! Tia! Your words wound! Plus that was a low blow,” I added, straightening up and glowering at her. I’m not a very good ‘glower-er’, though, and I guess that time must have been especially bad, because it finally broke her composure and she broke down laughing for a moment. As we all laughed, Celestia weakly waver her hoof, as if she had actually come with important news and I was not being ‘mature’. Not that I usually was.

“No, no, no…” she spat out between breaths. “But seriously folks…” Well that phrase is obviously a cliché joke in itself, so she couldn’t get to the point for another thirty seconds while we all laughed at that. When we had all caught our breath for the second time, she tried to talk again, her face flushed from the laughter. “Really, I came here to ask for help.”

“Well, Tia, you should have said so!” Luna piped up. “Here, sit here next to me. Just push the wounded warrior out of the way,” she finished, giving me a wink. She’s gotten better at modern language and making those little jabs on the fly since we’ve met.

Giving her a playful push and a smile, I stood up and made room for Celestia before she picked me up with her magic and moved me herself. Because she would. “Yeah, here, take a seat, I’ll get some more beverages. So, a Dr. Pepper for our reigning lightweight Celestia, a Dew for me, and what do you want this time, hon?”

“Just a root beer. I’ve had too much caffeine as it is,” I heard her call.

“Got it. Catch!” I said, tossing their drinks into the air. It’s a lot less funny doing that to alicorns, or alicorns in human form, for that matter. Rather than juggling it for thirty seconds, succeeding only in shaking it up before dropping it like most people, they just caught the cans in their magic and let them gently float down. Plopping down in my chair across from the two girls, I cracked my own can and took a drink before asking, “So, what is it you need help with?”

“Well, it’s a little embarrassing…” she said, quietly turning a shade of sunset pink. “You see, it’s time for the staff’s annual week of vacation, and I have to admit that, unfortunately, my housekeeping skills are… Well, rather lacking. I am not in the practice of keeping things clean as I go, either. I guess I am asking you to come back for at least this week and live in the castle. Between the three of us I think we can keep everything pretty clean and manage to feed ourselves without getting food poisoning.”

Realizing that there were too many opportunities to heckle and too many jokes available, I leaned forward, placing my drink on the little coffee table. Or rather, on the conveniently placed coaster Luna practically threw under my can before it hit the wood. God, she has got to be the only person left who still uses them as commonplace items. “So, let me make sure everything is straight in my head.” I saw Celestia tense, realizing that a joke was on her way. “You want us to come to the castle for a week to be your bi-”

“Adam!” Luna cried in horror as she realized what I was about to say. “Really? I will let her shoot you again, you know!”

Finally seeing the metaphorical sign that said “Thin Ice”, I quickly back-pedaled. “Sorry, it was just too easy. Yeah, I don’t see why not. It would be nice to be back in the castle, even if it were empty. I’m game.”

Giving me one last warning glance, Luna turned back to her sister. “As am I. We would love to take you up on your generous offer.” Ooh, she was speaking quasi-properly again. That was her ‘secret’ was of apologizing for whatever I’ve done wrong at a given point. Secret my butt…

Celestia lost the angry crimson glow she had gotten after my ill-conceived quip, and instead broke into a relieved smile. “Oh, wonderful! I’m so thankful. This really is a bit embarrassing to me, and the servants were, let’s say ‘upset’ at the state of things when they returned last year. Especially the kitchen staff. I don’t think I’ll ever get the hang of cooking.”

“Hey, honey, it might be genetic!” I blurted out before I could stop myself. I clapped my skeletal hand over my mouth a half second after I had said it, but the damage was done.

Luna gave me one of her looks. Not like, “The Look”. Not the one that is instinctual in every wife and grants the power of making her husband feel like a total ass. This was the look that said, “That joke was better than the last, but it still wasn’t the time”. It either said that, or, “Stop trying to tape your feet to the ceiling without using your powers and keep studying your Anatomy textbook”. I always get those looks mixed up. Whatever her eyes were saying though, her mouth said, “You just volunteered to do all the cooking for the next week.”

Moving my hand from my mouth to my drink, I grinned a little bit and said, “Great. Beef steak and hot dogs.”

“Make him do the dishes now too,” Celestia whispered not-so-quietly.

I muttered “I heard that”, but was ignored and given the task of the dishes too. After a little more small talk, Celestia left to make sure that our room would be ready by our arrival that evening, leaving Luna and I alone again. “So,” she said, turning to me in a way that told me I wasn’t out of the doghouse for the ‘be your bitches’ comment. “You succeeded in making a jerk out of yourself again.”

Giving her a sheepish smile, I just said, “Yeah, but it took me longer this time!” Laughing, she hit me in my bony arm, and I let it fall off just to scare her. She gave me more of a punch to the shoulder for that.

As we began to pack, we continued to talk. “So, why didn’t we invite her here for the week?” I asked. “I mean, without the staff there, there wouldn’t have been much royal business coming in, and it isn’t difficult to go back and forth to do the sun and moon. Plus, it‘s not that much more difficult to keep things clean when she‘s here too.”

Luna began to fold clothes that she either needed to take to Rarity to have adjusted or was just going to wear while human. “Well, I thought about it, but you know how she can be. He worries so much about how everything is doing at every given moment, especially after your incident.” She looked at me and raised an eyebrow for that part.

While she packed clothes, I packed the important things, like snacks. “Hey, it’s not like I summoned Nightmare Moon and asked her to kidnap you. Though I’m glad she did. Hey, where are my Funyuns?”

“Funyuns? Really? You already have fruit snacks and Doritos. You have enough. And while I’m glad she did too, being beaten by her again really shattered Tia’s self-confidence. She’s only recovered this much because of what you said to her at the end of it all, when you were supposed to be resting. That and the burial. Seeing her actually put in the ground.”

“Yeah, I guess I can understand that. Well, I think we should offer to have her stay here for a few days, just to get her out of the castle for a bit And yes, the Funyuns are necessary. See, this is the difference between men and women packing. You pack luxuries, like clothes, and we pack important things, like the gummy worms that you didn’t see and Funyuns. They’re a deliciously different snack that’s fun! It says so on the bag! Pleeeease?”

She looked at me with false disgust. “We will invite her, and don’t beg, it’s unmanly.”

Finally finding the bag behind the microwave, I came over and put it in my bag. “Well, one of us has to be feminine, and if you’re ordering me to the kitchen, why not go all the way?”

I had to duck to avoid the shoe that came flying across the room at about 80 miles per hour. “At least don’t put those with the clothes that you have to take to Rarity! Every time you do she can smell it and she complains under her breath!”

Realizing that I had put them on top of those clothes, I went to pick them up. In my defense, before I say anything else, they need to make the bottom yellow and the top another color so you can easily tell which way is up. Before I caught my mistake, the half bag that was left was all in my duffel bag, right on top of the clothes for Rarity. “So, honey?” I said a little nervously. “What was the ‘Plan B’?”


Authors Note: I mean no offense to Alaska. I am actually from Alaska, and I love it there. This is really more of a shout out than anything. Remember, constructive criticism is appreciated