• Published 26th Jan 2012
  • 4,555 Views, 71 Comments

Conversion Bureau: Operation Ares Kingdom - SirAroun



In a future full of greedy leaders and racist ponies on man aims for stars to save humanity

  • ...
13
 71
 4,555

Ch.1 Welcome to our Last Hope

Please comment.

Thank you,

Sir Aroun

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


This should be a great day for me; it is what I've worked for 20 years to do, it should be great, but it is not.

"Eden one and two, and Alexandra one and two, have landed on Mars with no trouble sir."

Cheers rang out in the room as the men and women of mission control got out of their seats to to congratulate each other. I left the room. I should be happy, this is the first real step the colonizing Mars, my dream, but it has turned in to a nightmare.

"Still worried about getting the Arc ship done in time. Ace?"

I turned around to see a young man with short brown hair and a cold but comforting stare.

"That is Director Freeman to you Sanguis, we are still at work you know, and of course worried! Every day Equestria grows larger, soon it will consume the whole earth. If the Arc is not finished soon, the human race will be gone."

"Well except for the ones that went through the Bureau."

"Nigel, you know what I think about the Conversion Bureau! No mater who they were before, they're philosophical zombies now, not humans."

"Ok, it was a joke, Asa."

"No it's not." I mumbled.

"What?"

"Never mind. I'm going to see how our soon to be Martians are doing."

"Well see you later then."

"Bye."

I started off to 'Dome One', where the colonist where preparing for life on Mars; of course they did not know that when they signed up. The government told them they where going to live in new domed city; a half truth I guess. It is a necessary lie, or half lie. Not only the would the news of what we are doing here would send the populace into a panic but also because it would bring Equestria and it's nut case supporters down on us. Most of the common people don't even know about the Ares project, the few who do think it got shelved decades ago; which is not far from the truth. Until recently we had worked under the radar and horribly under funded. In over twenty years the most we accomplish was a few key prototypes and the orbital dry dock, and most of the dock was made from parts of old space station already in orbit. Everything changed with the rise of Equestria. Suddenly the World Government was really interested in our work and was dumping truck fulls of funding and manpower into Ares. Now, months later, thanks to the new jump drives and funding the first part of our mission is done. I should be happy, but all I can do is worry.

"Are you alright sir?"

I looked up, stopping just moments before a potential collision with the guard.

"Just thinking to myself." I said with a smile "How are you doing, good sir?"

"Good, just need to see your I.D."

I gave him my I.D. and he swiped it through the door lock unlocking the door.

"All set sir, have a good day."

"You too." I told him as I enter.

I walked to the farm biome where the colonist were learning to grow real food. As I walked in they were picking apples, probably the first real apples in over fifty years.

"OK, guys you can eat some of your apples but remember to put the cores in the seed extractor." said Dr. Ren, our head of nourishment.

"Hey Dr. Rem, throw me an apple!" I yelled jokingly.

He ran over to me in a panic grabbing an apple on the way.

"Director! I did not expect you today, anything you need?" he said as he nervously handed me the apple.

"Everything is fine, just want to see how everyone is doing."

"Everyone's good. How did the Alexandra and Eden landings go?"

"Very well! Alexandra and its record of human knowledge and history is safely on Mars, and the Eden drones will have the site ready for our use in three months. All that's left is the Arc ship."

"About that sir. We may be delayed for a week or so."

"What!? Why?!"

"P.E.R. attached our suppliers, something about food processors holding us back from the glories of Ponydom."

"God Damn P.E.R.! The last thing we need is more delays!"

"Sir?"

"I'm OK, just ... go back to work."

He left as I walked over to the door. I bit into the apple as I looked at the Ares mission logo.

"Welcome to the last hope for Humanity."

I put my forehead against the door.

"We are so doomed."