• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 2,069 Views, 16 Comments

Memory - Toraka



My name is Princess Twilight Sparkle. I'm one of Equestria's corulers. Everything is fine for me, right? (Not Twilestia)

  • ...
4
 16
 2,069

Prismatic Erasure

Seven o'clock. All things come to an end, even here. As quickly as royally acceptable, I excuse myself to my chambers, claiming private studies. It's not even all that much of a lie if you think about it. Luna looks like she has something else for me with which to further use up my time, but a white hoof on her shoulder silences her desires before she even begins. Normally, I wouldn't be so rude as to leave after only an hour of animated discussion, but I have other plans, plans that don't involve any of them.

I arrive to find my bedroom in darkness, illuminated only by the moonlight that falls in through the balcony door. I switch on the lights and flop backwards onto the bed, hearing my joints and spine crack from royal disuse. Worming my way to the pillow is always an adventure in its own right due to the bed's pure size, but I eventually manage to do it. When I fetch out the first of many books which I intend to read in the following days, something - or rather the lack of something - suddenly gets through to me. I am alone, for the first time in an eternity. Yes, there was this afternoon, but it only counts if ponies actually know where I am, when they choose to leave me. It is a tingly feeling, to know that there is no duty to fulfill, no etiquette to uphold, only a mare and her favorite literature, that is to say any kind of it.

However, for some reason, I just cannot indulge myself in my books. After only one or two hours, my lack of focus makes it impossible to read on. With a sigh, I shut the book and trot out onto the balcony. The night is fresh, but not cold. A small chorus of insects provides as soothing an atmosphere in sound as the endless sea of stars, together with the moon, do in light. There are nearly no clouds in sight, meaning clear sight both up into the sky and down to the ground, where the moon's gentle glow provides just enough to see the path ahead.

You'd expect to get used to the night, after all this time researching its every detail and equally much of literally living with its creator. I can confirm that that doesn't happen, for Luna outdoes herself with each passing night. This night, the stars seem to sparkle with exceptional allure. They're mesmerising, more than ever. They paint a path into the sky and I follow. I am Twilight Sparkle and I am free.

Comments ( 10 )

2344677 Consider the following:

2351044 i.imgur.com/BD0js.png
What would you consider worse; Offend a recessed homophobe, or pass up on the glory that being able to submit your stuff into the TwiDash fandom brings, as well as miss an ending so sweet I'm fairly certain you could literally use it as laxative?

Yes, it is sudden and all. But doesn't it fit with the theme of Twilight clinging onto her memories of a life past? After all, is there exact information on how long she's now been a princess?

Anyway. I've added an alternative ending which avoids that, for your pleasure.

2351983

See...The Twidash bump is best bump

The way I see it, at least the part that I'm able to express, Twilight and Rainbow Dash share something that she couldn't live without. Part of what I mean is that since Twilight now living in an incongruous manner, a life that is full of masks and mendacity, it is only her connection to Rainbow Dash that allowed her to be free.

There's more to it, but as of right now this is all I can express.

2363902 Ssssure, that's exactly what I meant to express. Well, the original thoughts was that, as literally unknown amounts of time tear away at Twilight's mind, Dash is one of the few things that allows her to cling onto her past, that which made her what she is, what keeps her from giving in and becoming a robot, a slave of protocol.

However, of course, while she supports Twilight's mind against the court's influence, she also sustains her freedom more literally. By giving her opportunities, excuses to be free, she forces her not to accept her life and keep up herself. Basically, in addition to aiding in her fight, Rainbow also ensures her will to fight never fades.

2364128 Edit: I really should read the referrals better. Well there's now an alternate ending for people like you.


You would be surprised how rare that kind of user is, that which not only shares its opinion on the piece, but also allows its message to actually form a respectable opinion.

2364223

The author's light tends to shine the brightest when looking at their story. :twilightsmile:

2367428 Alicorns arn't "immortal" I am just using the word because they live very long lives.
We already know that Alicorns arn't immortal because [CANNON SPOILER] Twilight will ultimately succeed the throne of Celestia

2367459 Do they? Well, for the purposes of this fic, it's as good as immortal. So what I'm saying is that Twilight won't because she's a false alicorn, one of Those Who Came Before if you've read SatN.

Also, where did you get that? I sure hope not from an official source, right? *sighing facepalm* It's getting harder to keep faith in the writers than in religion, and we all know what anybody with a functioning brain should think about Him Who Rules Everything But Can't Be Arsed to Actually Do Something.
Besides, who said it had to be age? ... yup, murder. In a kids' show.
I wonder if I'd still be following the show if it weren't as fucked up as it is.


Also: Edits are nearly done. I've inserted discreet passages here and there, as well as one slightly less discreet passage. Look out for that in a bit.

2367473 From Lauren Faust in the Brony Documentary. Although she no longer has anything to do with the show the fact that Twilight is now indeed an Alicorn and happened faster than Lauren liked (source unknown) I would not be surprised if the spoiler were to happen too, hopefully at the end of the show though.

EDIT: Come on, there are a few shows that are just as if not more fucked up as MLP. I think the difference here is you expect it to be less so because it is targeted towards girls.

2370293 25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_med6veIenp1rqt0kqo1_500.jpg

Certainly, there's stuff like the Happy Tree Friends. Oh yes, and Ren and Stimpy. And... well, I grew up in the period of fucked up cartoons. Maybe that's a reason why I'm so fucked up. (If you don't know that, don't google it.) However, you need to look at the ratio of fucked up to target audience.
Let me briefly list exactly how fucked up MLP is:

- Literally every major character has a deep psychic complex
- Basically whatever Discord did
- Cancer
- Death (burial)
- Abduction without hopes of rescue (originally)
- Brainwashing
- Deception (as in, Chrysalis' stuff)
- Invasions
- Apprehensive behaviour towards a BBBFF due to abandonment complex
- Serious injury
- Insanity
- What Sombra did. It wasn't much, but fuck, he synthethised stuff coming out from his severed horn! That's more than every other villain put together!
- On that note, that psychic stuff from the Crystal Empire in general and the irresistible need to prove herself in particular.
- Sabotage with the intent to hurt a foal
- Forced transformation into a slave of protocol

Can I stop? Yeah, six year old girls. I wonder when they'll have the Equestria Girls' boy's clothes fall off and the only piece around is an empty storage box for chocolate which may contain nuts.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually did that.

Login or register to comment