• Published 8th Mar 2015
  • 5,927 Views, 297 Comments

‘Til Sunday Do Us Part - BlazzingInferno



Rarity has an awful idea: marry Spike for the weekend to gain entrance into an ultra-exclusive club for socialite couples. Spike has a brilliant idea: go along with it.

  • ...
18
 297
 5,927

Annul-iversary

Rarity took one last glance in the shop’s three-way mirror. Her mane was perfectly styled, her dress was divine, and if she took much longer, somepony might try to start the ceremony without her. She’d waited a very long time for today, and they could wait, too.

A small calendar was pinned on the wall next to the mirror, and today’s date was circled in red. Most brides-to-be would focus on the day of the month. However, she was more interested in the month itself. Had it really been a year since the annulment? Today marked twelve months to the day of blissful and completely lady-like courtship, all culminating in the moment every mare dreamed of.

“Rarity, are you still in there?” Spike’s voice was muffled by the shop’s door, but his annoyance couldn’t have been clearer.

She smiled. “Yes, and I do believe it’s bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding.”

“Didn’t stop us the first time… Just hurry, okay? I’m freezing out here and your parents keep giving me that look.”

She donned her wedding veil and opened the front door. His black tuxedo perfectly complimented her white dress, two colors as different, and yet as made for each other, as the two of them.

His mouth hung open. “You… you look amazing!”

She batted her eyes at him. “As do you, Spikey. What were you saying before? Something about a look from my parents?”

“Oh… oh yeah. The ‘I-can’t-believe-she’s-marrying-a-dragon’ look. Every chance your dad gets, he talks about this orphanage near where they live.”

She giggled. “Parents will be parents, I suppose. Do you—”

A tall unicorn with a white coat and a pale pink mane came up the path. “I do hope I’m not too late to extend my congratulations.”

Rarity’s smile vanished. “W-why Fleur Dis Lee… I didn’t expect to see you. I-I don’t believe we’ve spoken since I explained my… deception. Y-You said the club bylaws dictated I could never be invited to join again.”

Fleur frowned. “Yes, and that is still the case. Fancy and I can’t allow our social circle to admit pretenders to marriage, such as you were.”

Rarity looked at the ground. “I understand, and I still feel terrible for lying to you as I did.”

Spike’s arm wrapped around her. With the gentlest of nudges, he set her hooves in motion and brought her mind back to the blissful present. His touch felt electrifying. Regardless of the misdeeds that brought them together, the future was what mattered. Soon they would once again be joined in matrimony, this time with love binding them rather than an annulment-friendly contract.

“Thanks for stopping by, Fleur, but we’ve got a ceremony to get to,” he said.

Fleur stepped in front of them. “Of course, of course. Before I go, however, I’d like to present this to you, Spike.”

A white envelope with a small blue insignia floated into his outstretched hand, and Fleur winked. “The next meeting is two weeks from Saturday. Don’t worry about making reservations, I’ll ensure the honeymoon suite is available.”

Rarity had precious few seconds to process what had just happened as Fleur turned and walked away. She looked from the envelope, to their departing guest, and then to Spike. She matched his grin. “Oh, Fleur?”

Fleur looked back just in time for a pair of snowballs to hit her in the face.

“We'll be there.”

Author's Note:

Fan art by Pia-Sama:

Source

Comments ( 77 )

Rarity never got to finish her question, lol.

That last two sentences,, perfect ending. Although, seeing the ceremony would have been nice too.

I'm gonna miss the updates :raritycry: but it was so good :raritywink:

:moustache::heart::raritywink:

Rarity's dad suggesting adoption rather than the good old "make-it-yourself"...
:rainbowlaugh:

This was amazing , I just wish there were more like it . Although it would have been funny if they had stayed married .:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

Nice finish, but sad that the ride has come to an end.
--Spade

My reaction to the story ending:
[youtube=MOfcrIr3B0Y]

Everyone's reaction to my reaction:
[youtube=_fKkmxi3a24]

But seriously, it sucks the story ends, but, as one of my favorite writers said, all things must come to an end!
Thanks BlazingInferno!

5742705 >implying that was not the reaction everyone had.

mrk

Sequel time!

... or maybe spiritual sequel? Fluttercord or some such?

Bravo, bravo.:pinkiesad2:

:raritycry: How I wish I could attend their wedding. This was a great fic and I can't wait to see what you write next.

That was adorable and I loved it. :raritywink:

Well, that was shorter than I wished it was, would've loved to see the more approving glances from Applejack and Twilight now that Spike and Rarity went through all the proper formalities before it ended. It still made me smile though, so whatever. :pinkiehappy:

Huh?!:applejackunsure:

Well, that's the end of that.:moustache::duck:

5741981 When you put it like that, it makes sense.

On to reading more.

I usually don't get into the whole Sparity thing but I did like this story. The characters were well executed. And the plot was cute and fun. Also AJ is best pony\counselor :ajsmug:.

Comment posted by TheWorstDiscord deleted Mar 16th, 2015

I hate Sparity.

Yet, you made it work. That deserves a congratulations from me.

:pinkiehappy:

That was great. All I ask is that you show them getting married in the end.

5742366
5743579
5745988
I didn't have the heart to write the ceremony, since doing so would mean I'd have to make something go horribly wrong for the sake of a joke… and if I did that, Rarity would reach through the TV and kill me

5742487
Fluttershy speculated that that might be the only option for babies… I suppose they won't know for sure until they give it a try :rainbowkiss:

5742541
I thought about it, but realized a good portion of the story points to why they weren't ready to take that step. Plus, I can't imagine Rarity passing up the opportunity to have a gigantic wedding ceremony :raritystarry:

5742705
You're welcome! :twilightsmile:

5743326
5743840
5743948
Funny, I was initially more worried about making sure Rarity earned her happy ending, considering how this whole mess started.
Fun fact: In my initial outline, Twilight wasn't going to go anywhere; she'd just tell them that they were staying married for an extra week. I decided against that because I didn't think Twilight could be that brutal, even if it was deserved. Instead, I had her make a self-serving decision, similar to Rarity's, and go through a similar (if unseen) week of trying to undo it. She didn't orchestrate all of Spike and Rarity's troubles, she just wrote a note and left town… and a few hours later realized how stupid that was and that she couldn't get back home

5743344
Haha, anything's possible, I suppose. I'm hoping to write a sickeningly cute Fluttershy romance at some point, primarily in response to reading a story about her going through a horrible breakup. I have no idea when I'll get around to that, though. Too many projects, too little time…

5745529
5743948
To you I say thank you, to myself I say mission accomplished :pinkiehappy:
I set out to write a romance story that would transcend people's opinions on the leading couple, and it looks like this story was at least a step in the right direction

mrk

5747344
Well, if anypony could do it, you could! Say, I have a story idea to run by you, just to make sure there's not something mechanically wrong with the concept. That, and I admittedly have zero practical romance experience, so I wanted to make sure my concept is believable. Would you be willing to consult (briefly) via PM?

5747344 I see. Good call.

5747344 true your right

5747344
Understandable, no one whats to be on the receiving end of Rarity's bad side.:twilightoops:

5754979
There's some subtlety to the way "Double Date" ends, and what Spike's actual mood is…

Why do so many people use the adoption cliche? At least in regular dragon canon/lore, they're able to breed with any species

HA! Oh technicalities what can't you fix?

Good story, I liked it.

I had no idea what I stepped into by reading this. Because of this story I now ship RairtyxSpike hard. My favorite part was how you didn't need to change the characters to create this. I have downloaded this story to take with me on trips. :)

5758471
Possibly because I can't decide which sounds more painful: a pony giving birth to an big dragon egg, or a scale-covered dragon baby :pinkiegasp:

Wonderful story and that endings. Also might I add that the picture made me daw.

I've really enjoyed this story. It took me awhile to Finish and I hope a sequel will come out! If not I'll still give you props for a great story

5931022
Hmm... Maybe I should've made Spike's disappointment at the end of the last chapter more noticeable

This was super cute! A fun premise and great characterization. Well done!

I'm on the contents page, and I can already tell just from the description that this is going to be hilarious.:rainbowlaugh:

Well, I think I just knocked this whole story out in three hours. I liked shipfic for the shipping and not despite it! And what happened then? Well in Ponyville they say, that Merlin's small heart grew three sizes that day.
:heart::heart::heart: :moustache:

5960483 I kinda crack up at the downvotes. I actually rather like Spike, but for some reason pointing out the age factor upsets people.

5960355 She's not, really. She's just written that way. Canon Rarity would never do something like this. Now, the other things, pincushion and whatnot, those are things Spike does willingly because they are friends. Or at least, that should be his motivation. If he's expecting more, that's not Rarity's fault. She's never encouraged that behavior, and beyond rewarding him with a kiss on the cheek every now and then, is very proper.

This was Perfect! Also the invitation, I loved that tense moment turning into a laugh. Another wonderful story.

Wonderful story and flawlessly executed! IRON WILL APPROVED!

6002658
Kinda sorta:

I even have a doctorate in it

He does have the title of Doctor, timey-wimey capabilities or no :raritywink:

Squuueee:twilightblush: just finshies the story in one go ;3 Love it Cute pic to ;3 :raritywink:

great story love to see more of your work soon. and lasty have a great derpy day :derpytongue2:

6028481
I'm pretty sure Spike knows that Wife Toss is a strictly outdoor sport :trollestia:

One word-FANTASTIC! I nearly cried! :pinkiesad2:

Still a good read (ran out of stuff on my RiL list) and the only Sparity fic that doesn't make me want to blow chunks.

6228410
I almost want to quote that reaction in the description :rainbowlaugh:

If you're really hurting for stuff to read, here are my top picks. There aren't even any Sparity stories on that list... yet.

I just read this all in one sitting and I really would love a sequel to this story. It's just too awesome to end so soon.

Login or register to comment