• Published 2nd May 2013
  • 1,120 Views, 20 Comments

Where There is Shadow - firesoxs



All of Equestrias greatest enemies gather to take their revenge on Twilight and her friends.

  • ...
2
 20
 1,120

New Allies

“I’m sorry, but if you came all this way to sell me something then you’re wasting your time.” Chrysalis commented snidely.

“Give me a few moments to explain myself, I’m sure I can change your mind.” Sombra replied with a faux friendly bow.

“I can tell that you’re trying really hard to be nice to me. That tells me one of two things, either you’re trying to ally yourself with me or you’re trying to get close enough to kill me. Not only are both of these ideas stupid, but they are also a clear sing of desperation,” Chrysalis commented in a very high and mighty tone “So, which is it?” she said as she leaned in close. She looked Sombra in the eyes with a seductive expression just as false as the tone he had taken moments ago.

“Your first guess would be correct. Why don’t we adjourn to someplace more suited to official business? I’ll fill you in on all the details.”

“You’re behaving surprisingly out of character…” the changeling queen thought out loud “Very well I’ll humor you, follow me to my study.” She said as she disappeared into a nearby hallway.

Skittish watched as Sombra vanished into the darkness of the hallway. His first impulse was to follow, but he wasn’t sure why. Mostly because he wasn’t sure exactly how safe he was with Sombra, true Sombra had just rushed in to save him when he needed it most but it was Sombra’s fault that he was in danger in the first place. Skittish looked around to see the pony shaped insects that surrounded him. One was staring at him with its blue compound eyes. Normally Skittish would be nervous when a pony stared at him, but compound eyes made it even worse. It felt like he had a thousand eyes trained on him rather than just two, that and the changeling was just plain creepy. Skittish looked around to see that it wasn’t just the one changeling that was looking at him, all of them were. Thousands of eyes, millions if you remember they’re compound, just staring and making him uncomfortable. Not being able to take it any more Skittish took off down the hall way. He may not have felt totally save with Sombra, but he felt even less safe with those overgrown bugs.
When he had finally caught up to them Sombra and Chrysalis were entering a room at the end of the corridor. He was only just able to make through the door before it shut behind him. The room was very normal for the study of a changeling. The cold stone floor was covered by a red carpet, the walls were adorned with maps of the world and banners baring the various seals and insignias of neighboring countries. There was a desk at the far end of the room which was covered in more maps only these maps were of individual countries, and the provinces of some of the larger ones. As Skittish turned to see more of the room he let loose a small squeal at the sight of a rather large changeling lurking in the corner behind the door. “What is he doing here?” demanded Sombra “I under the impression we would be meeting alone.”
“Forgive me if I don’t trust you, but I have to take precautions. And besides you brought your little friend along, who’s to say that I can’t do the same.” Chrysalis replied as she sat at her desk. “Please, take a seat.” She motioned toward a chair in front of the desk. Sombra took his seat and looked back at his companion, “Go stand next to that… thing in the corner. Keep an eye on him.” Skittish hesitated for a moment trying to build up the courage to do as he was told. “Now!” demanded Sombra. Skittish’s may have been afraid of getting close to the changeling but he was even more afraid of disobeying Sombra, so he did as he was told.
The changeling was big even bigger than Chrysalis, who was easily as tall as Celestia. Not only was the Changeling tall but he was thick and bulky. One couldn’t really say he was muscular because his skin was a thick exoskeleton, but he was no doubt strong. His body was massive and covered with large plates of his armor like skin, however unlike his brethren he was wingless. His jaw was very large with massive crushing mandibles on either side of his mouth. His eyes were not nearly as venomous as his queen but they were not as creepy as the rest of his kind either, they were just plain, blue, and fierce. Atop his head he bore no horn but he did have two large antlers like the stag beetles form the warm rainforest of the more southern nations. Not wanting to speak to such a menacing creature Skittish kept his eyes forward and watched the conversation of the two leaders.
“So who’s your friend?” asked Sombra.
“His name is Titus, he’s my finest warrior, my second in command, and when I need him to be my bodyguard.” Chrysalis replied. “But we’re not here to discus our companions, and I highly doubt that yours is very interesting anyway. So what is this “proposition” you have for me?”
“To start off, why were you locked in this castle?”
“Normally I wouldn’t tell you something like this but I’m in a good mood today so here it goes. I led an assault on Canterlot which failed due to a nosy student of Celestia named Twilight Sparkle. After our retreat we found this village of kittens and rebuilt our army. Once we had regained much of our strength I tried to get my revenge, and upon that defeat I was locked in my own castle.”
“And how long ago do you think that was?” Sombra asked using his best manners, which weren’t really all that great.
“A few months, exactly what are you getting at?” the queen asked impatiently.
“Well not three weeks ago, I to was defeated at the hands of Celestias student and her friends.”
“Ah, that’s why you’re so far away from home.” Chrysalis interrupted.
“Yes, that’s why,” Sombra replied trying not to lose his temper “My proposition is that we join forces. Not just to take revenge, but to conquer all of Equestria.”
Chrysalis snickered for a few moments before she lost control and broke into all out laughter. “Forgive me for being pessimistic here, but what makes you think this will end differently than any other attack on Equestria?
“For one you have been defeated not once but twice.”
“Jees, don’t rub it in.”
“Will you stop interrupting me!” Sombra shouted standing from his chair. Before he had a chance to say another word Titus rushed forward with speed uncanny for a creature of his size and pinned Sombra to the wall His eyes were narrowed and filled with a fierce sense of duty. “Don’t forget you’re a guest here, and an uninvited one at that. You should be grateful that my queen is even listening to what you have to say.” Titus’s voice was deep and gruff, filled with a sense of “I’d rather not kill you, but if my queen commands it I won’t give it a second thought.”
“Put him down Titus. He may be out of line, but that is no way to treat a guest. Now Sombra would you please continue.”
Titus lowered Sombra and returned to his place in the corner of the room. Sombra tried his hardest no to spit an insult back at Chrysalis as he continued. “As I was saying, you’ve been defeated in two attempts to take Equestria it would be foolhardy for you to try for three. They’d never see an attack coming, and once it got there they probably wouldn’t take it seriously. Plus I am presumed dead, the perfect ace in the hole.”
“I was going to try to take Equestria again anyway, although I am offended that you would call my attempts foolhardy. As for an alliance, what would you ask for as spoils of war?”
“All of Equestria.” Sombra said with all the seriousness of a security guard telling somepony they couldn’t touch a museum exhibit.
“And what makes you think I would agree to this?” Chrysalis asked completely taken aback by such a demand.
“You may have whatever province you wish as your territory, and as an added bonus I will give you the Crystal Heart.” Sombra said confidently. He knew that a changeling would never be able to say no to an unlimited supply of love, with such a bargaining chip this negotiation was over before it started.
“You drive a hard bargain, but what choice do I have.” Chrysalis said trying very hard to sound unsatisfied. “But, I think we will need other allies. A few months before my assault on Canterlot, Discord escaped his imprisonment. He was stopped by Twilight and returned to his place I the gardens, albeit a little sillier looking than before. I’m sure that he would be more than willing to help us, as long as we are prepared to give him a little something in return.” Chrysalis said producing a picture of the Discord statue with its new pose.
“So do you have a plan to free him at this point?” Sombra asked.
“What me? Of course not, this is your plan and if you’re getting the largest portion of the spoils then you should do most of the work. I’ll give you all the time you need to come up with something.” Chrysalis had a smirk on her face, she was clearly enjoying herself. “I’ll give you and your companion the best accommodations I can offer. Titus, see to it our guests are comfortable.” As she spoke the door opened and a smaller changeling stepped in to deliver a message to the queen. Titus showed Sombra out the door and picked up Skittish who had fainted when he attacked the former. “If you’ll follow me, I will show you to the guest quarters.”


* * *


“I don’t know why I have to share a room with him.” Sombra complained as he looked around the spacious guest room.
“It’s only for a couple days while the workers complete the new room you requested.” Titus replied coolly.
“Well couldn’t he sleep a broom closet or something in the mean time?”
“I’m sorry we don’t have any broom closets, the workers can blow away the dust by buzzing their wings. And the queen has specifically instructed that I make sure the both of you are comfortable.”
“Well you have failed royally, because being in the same room as him makes me uncomfortable.” Sombra retorted.
“I was only asked to provide you with comfortable conditions, if you refuse to be contented that is hardly my problem.” Titus replied in the way that servants do when they insult there master while retaining the guise of politeness.
“Well can I at least get something to eat, or can’t you do that.”
“I will have some food sent up to you immediately.” and with that Titus left. Skittish gave had to give him credit, he had to put up with Sombra because he was helpless. However Titus was strong, and could probably take Sombra in a fair fight, but he never lost his temper even with all the insults.
Sombra went over to the bed and jumped into the center of it. “These sheets are as course as a burlap sack.” He complained.
“Well it’s better than the cold hard ground.” Skittish replied trying to sound positive.
“Interesting you say that, because that’s where you’re sleeping.”
“Oh…okay. Um I do have one question though.”
“Only if I don’t have to here from you for the rest of the night.”
“Okay well, why did you save me from those changelings earlier? It’s just you probably wouldn’t have done that three weeks ago.” Skittish immediately regretted asking Sombra such a question, but it was too late to take it back now. All he could do was hope Sombra didn’t beat him.
“Why would you ask me something like that?”
“I… um…”
“Do you think that it was because I cared about you?” Sombras words cut like a knife. “Look at your flank and tell me what you see.”
“Um… I see my cutiemark.”
“I meant tell me what your cutiemark is, you imbecile!”
“A… a shepherd’s crook.” Skittish said hesitantly.
“Exactly, you herd sheep worthless pathetic sheep, and you weren’t even good that. If you lived anywhere else you would have gone out of business, the only reason you didn’t starve was because ponies needed your wool to make scarves and blankets. You’ve never mattered to anyone, what makes you think that you would matter now. The only reason I “saved” you was because I wanted to fight those changelings, who just so happened to be attacking you.” Sombra had always been cold and heartless but he had never taken it this far. Skittish decided it was probably best to stay quiet from now on, and occupied him self studying the tiles on the floor.
After a several minutes of unendurably uncomfortable silence a knock was heard at the door. Sombra bade “Enter,” in a demanding and impatient tone. The door creaked open to reveal a changeling drone bearing a platter with a silver cover. “Titus asked that I bring you the finest stores from our larder.” Having been told to treat the guests with every courtesy, the changeling had addressed Sombra in the same reverent tone he would use when speaking to Chyisalis.
Sombra had always considered the changelings to be small, but after spending time with Chrysalis and her enormed body guard, this normal sized changeling seemed miniscule. “Set it on the table and leave.” Sombra commanded as he rose from his bed. Once the changeling had left he rushed to the table to see what bounty might be hidden beneath the shining cover of the platter. Sombra lifted the silver dome to reveal a jar filled with a dubious substance. “Oh you have got to be kidding me.” Sombra growled.
“What is it?” Skittish asked.
“Take a look.” Sombra replied holding up the jar. At first glance the strange goop within looked black, but when light passed through it proved to be dark green.
“Is looks like mint jam. Is there toast to go with it?”
“It’s not jam foal! This slop is what the changelings call food.”
“I thought they fed on emotions.”
“They do, but this is what they make when they can’t have that. It’s kind of like the honey bees make. In the war we called it changeling jelly.”
“That doesn’t sound so bad.” Skittish said, trotting over to get a closer look. Almost before he finished his sentence Sombra opened the jar, letting lose the wholly unappetizing smell the changeling jelly. “Aurg! That is… yech… terrible!” Skittish could barely keep himself from retching.
‘Still want some toast to go with that?” Sombra said sarcastically.
“Well they did say it was their finest. Maybe it tastes better than it smells.”
“Well then you go ahead and try it, make sure to tell me how it tastes.”
Skittish dipped the tip of his hoof in the jar, covering it with the green liquid. It was a little thicker than honey, more like tree sap. The smell was horrible, it was like the stench of moldy cheese wrapped in soiled lines and garnished with gravy made of the putrid juices of rotting meat. Skittish brought his hoof up to his quivering lips and stopped. When he picked up the jar he had fully intended on trying the strange new food, but now he had lost all resolution to do so. He stood there for what seemed like eternity watching the thick slime drip from his hooves. Every so often Skittish would stretch out his tongue to meet with the fetid liquid, but he would withdraw just shy of contact.
“Get on with it!” Sombra shouted as he shoved Skittish’s entire hoof into his mouth.
Skittish’s face briefly bore a look surprise before his expression changed to that of revolution. He took his hoof from his mouth and began to spit and sputter furiously, scraping his tongue in an attempt to rid his mouth of the offending taste. “Blech! Why would you do that!” Skittish asked still wiping the droop from his mouth.
“Well it’s not like you were going to do it on your own.” Sombra said with a chuckle. “Now, can you describe the flavor to me?”
“I’m going to find that broom closet.” Skittish said as he stormed out of the room, slamming the door.

Author's Note:

I wrote this in one sitting, so after every single Dragon Force album, (I'm a slow typer) three cans of Coke, and a nervouse breakdown this is what you get. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go and play some Lord of the Rings Online before I go all cupcakes on somepony.