• Published 28th Dec 2013
  • 1,054 Views, 24 Comments

The Balance of Harmony - The Rising Tide of Night



Twilight and her friends are transported to a mirror world where their counterparts are dead, killed by Discord in his mad quest to take over the world.

  • ...
3
 24
 1,054

Interlude 1

Twilight was startled out of her reverie by Spike’s voice behind her. “Twilight? When did you get back?”

She looked up from her writing. Spike was sitting up on the bed, rubbing his eyes and yawning. As looked closer at her, she noticed Spike’s expression change to one of concern. “Twilight? Are you ok? You’re crying!”

Twilight put down her quill and felt her face. She was indeed crying, and had been unaware of it. Wiping her eyes with a handkerchief, she smiled at Spike and replied, “Yes, I’m fine.” Taking a deep breath, she continued. “I- I’m just writing our story. Right now I’m writing about what happened to Trixie.”

Spike came over to where she was sitting and gave her a comforting hug. Though they loved each other greatly, they always had thought of each other as a brother and sister. Twilight was glad for his comfort, since the emotions that welled up in her every time she thought about the friends they had lost were often too much to bear. “I know, Twilight. That was a hard night.” He looked down at her, and she marveled just how much taller he had gotten after arriving in this world. She was used to looking down at him as a baby dragon, but here, he was a much taller young man.

She smiled up at him. “Thanks, Spike. I appreciate your concern.”

He smiled back. “Listen, I’ve gotta run out for a little bit. I need to get a few things. Are you gonna be ok? Do you need anything before I leave?”

She shook her head. “I’ll be fine, Spike. Thanks again.”

He squeezed her shoulder gently, and headed for the door. She watched him go until he had closed the door behind him. Turning back to her desk, she steeled herself once more and dove back into her story.