• Published 29th Apr 2012
  • 569 Views, 0 Comments

The Price of Harmony - Maverickthepony



The first story in a series of about six stories that involve war and tragedy.

  • ...
 0
 569

Looking Back

Chapter 10: Looking Back

Talon looked out at the rainbow that was flying away. He knew who it was and where she was going, but she couldn't know him yet. He turned his attention back to the burning stadium. It pained him to watch this terror unfold and there was nothing he could do to stop it. He turned to leave.

"It truly is terrible isn't it?" spoke a voice from behind.

"Yes it is Your Majesty." responded Talon.

"You don't have to address me that way Talon. You know that."

"Yes, but you deserve to be addressed that way." Talon looked back at the burning stadium. "I can't stop it."

"I know you can't, but you can fight the pony that is doing this."

"I already knew that Luna" Talon took out a cigar and lit it, "just watching the world turn as I do." and with that Talon turned towards Forshan and went to return to that desert.

The scene shifted to a room in a military base.

Ya ya." said Talon who started looking out the window at the desert. "My only question is why, if he knew she was going to be here, did he not just start living here!"

"I don't know, why don't you ask him when he gets here?"

"Now you know why I can't do that." responded Talon.

"Because you're going to be out there looking for her." said the gray pony. "I'm dying Talon."

"I know, and even though I know it still pains me about killing you."

"Well it's a lot less suffering in the long run, and we can free Rainbow Dash."

Talon looked into the eyes of the grey pony. "It's been an honor serving with you Bladestorm." said Talon extending his claw for a hoof shake.

"Likewise, it's been an honor serving with you in the Black Stallions. I guess with me about to die that would make you the last one."

"To be honest I think that it would have been an honor to be the first one to go. After we lost Coppertop it just went downhill from there.

"Well you may be the only one out of all of the Black Stallions to experience life without this war."

"You already know what I have to do to experience that."

"Kill Iron Foot, but you can't do that without the Elements of Harmony to set the trap."

"Ya...We had better get started, I don't want to have to anticipate killing my friend any longer."

"It truly has been an honor Talon."

The scene changed to the open desert. Talon was cooking a meal as a multi-colored pegasus lay in the sleeping bags. She began to stir. Talon smiled as she got up and looked around. He couldn't help but laugh as she tried to fly and failed.

"What did you do to my wings!" yelled Rainbow Dash.

"Relax; it's just a simple muscle relaxer. You should have full use of your wings in a few days. Are you hungry?"

Rainbow Dash was confused. This pony was supposed to be merciless, the most feared in all the land, here she was his prisoner and he was offering her breakfast.

"If you don't hurry it'll get cold." said Talon

"What are you doing?"

"What I need to do." Talon said

Rainbow Dash took a seat but eyed the food carefully. Talon noticed this and taking his fork he made sure to get a bit of everything from her plate he took a bite. Rainbow Dash instantly dug in.

"Now we need to talk."

Rainbow Dash stopped eating for a second. "About what."

"About me. I'm not what you think I am. I am Equestrian special forces. I need you to trust me."

"Why should I? You kidnapped me!"

"Yes I did, so that you could be alone with me for this conversation. You need to believe me."

"Ok fine you went to all of this trouble. What do you want me to believe?"

"That I am Equestrian, here this may help." at this Talon pulled out an Equestrian bit and tossed it to Rainbow Dash. She examined it.

"This is real. What do you want from me?"

"I want you to lead your friends to the military base in the east of Forshan the one closest to the Equestrian border. That is where I will be located. I will then reveal to your friends who I am and what I'm doing and if we're lucky we just may catch Iron Foot."

"Who?"

"Iron Foot is the commander of the Forshan army and technically the leader of Forshan."

"Ok well I guess that since you're done with me I can leave now right?"

"Well there's two problems with that. First is that they have my lighter and the situation of you returning to your friends would be more realistic if I "Traded" you back for it. Secondly is that you are unharmed. They believe that I am interrogating you and will have hurt you. So..." Talon drew his gun and fired a bullet that cut Rainbow Dash's side.

"What the hell was that for!" yelled Rainbow Dash.

"You needed to appear wounded, you go back to them unharmed, questions get asked, my cover gets blown, I get executed, Equestria suffers. That's what that was for."

Rainbow thought about this for a second. It made sense. "So how long are you going to keep me here?"

"Lie down so I can treat the wound." Rainbow Dash obeyed. "Oh about three-four days depending on how this wound heals up and scars. I'll also need to apply another dose of that muscle number so that it appears that I did something to your wings. It will be smaller and wear off after a few days. I'll also tie up your wings so that it appears that they were tied the whole time. This will make it seem like you didn't, well, roam."

"Ok, that makes sense. So what do we do until then?"

"We talk. Oh and by the way when you get back to your friends, they can't know about me."

"I understand."

The scene changed to a sandy and windy street. Talon could see five ponies on the other side. "Do you have the lighter?" the lighter levitated towards him. "You just gotta love magic." he said to Rainbow Dash. As he cut the ropes he applied a muscle number to Rainbow Dash's wings. "Remember, not a word to them." Rainbow Dash nodded and began making her way towards her friends.

"And that just about covers it." said Talon as they finally made it to the Equestrian border.

"Wow, so you were really there for us the entire time?" asked Twilight.

"Yep, and I made damn sure that nothing happened to you." responded Talon.

"So what now?" asked Applejack.

"Well, I suggest that you six head home. I'm going to drop the trash off at Canterlot then there's somewhere that I really want to go visit."

"Where's that?" asked Rainbow Dash.

Talon ignored the question, "Good-bye, I'll see about stopping by where you live. Who knows! Maybe your town will get a new resident."

"That would be nice, but you would have to change a few things about you." said Twilight

"Don't worry about anything leaking out; I'm pretty damn good at keeping secrets."

And with that Talon left the six to go home. They watched him until he had gone over a hill before breaking out into a sprint for home. Rainbow Dash was the first to arrive being able to fly; she went straight towards home and laid down on the bed. "Oh how I missed you!"

Applejack got to her home on the outskirts of town. The first thing she did was take Apple Bloom and Big Macintosh in a large embrace. Then she went and ate an apple. She had missed them so much.

Twilight got home next and she went straight for Spike. She grabbed him in her magic and brought him close into an embrace. "Where did you go Twilight? And why are you so close to me all of a sudden?"

"Hahaha, it's a long story. I don't think you would want to hear it anyway."

"Ok fine but now that you're back I guess that means I've got to work."

"Ohhhh yes!"

Pinkie Pie bounced into her home next and she went straight for the cake. She plunged her head in and licked the icing off her face she missed that taste so much.

Rarity didn't go straight home, instead she went to see Sweetie Belle. She took her sister in a loving embrace before going back to her shop and picking up a needle to start working. The desert had inspired her.

Fluttershy got home last, she made sure to feed all of her animal friends and apologize for leaving. She went inside of her cottage to see an angry Angel staring back at her. She giggled before saying, "Sorry Angel."

Talon stood in the center of Canterlot. He was getting looks from all of the residents. He knew that if his reputation had reached this city the streets would be clear for him to make his way towards the castle. He just ignored all of the looks and kept marching towards the castle. As he made his way up the steps with difficulty as the cart refused to allow him an easy walk. When he reached the top he attempted to enter the castle but the guards stopped him. "Halt! Who goes there?" the question had been spoken as a command but this guard was in no position to give him orders.

"That's not important to you. I need to see the Princesses" Talon said responding to the guard.

"We can't allow you access without proper authorization."

"Listen I have 200 pounds of authorization in this cart now let me in that's an order!"

"Are you trying to get yourself arrested?"

"No, but you sound like your trying to get yourself killed." Talon said smugly

"That's it!" said the guard taking a step towards Talon. But Talon was far too quick he had already drawn his gun and pulled the hammer back.

"I wouldn't take another step forward if I was you." said Talon threateningly.

The guard had no idea what Talon was threatening him with but decided to let this pony through.

"Learn to recognize special forces." said Talon as he walked by.

The guard turned his head. He had almost gotten into a fight with a pony that could have killed him in front of the princesses and gotten away with it. Special forces were legendary and no one outside the guard knew they existed so he had to have been telling the truth. He thought that they were disavowed at the moment. Clearly, he had been wrong.

Talon walked right into the throne room despite the guards trying to stop him. As soon as Celestia saw him she yelled at the guards to stand down. They obliged but watched this pony suspiciously.

"Don't mind them; they don't know who you are."

"Judging by the looks I got walking here there are only six civilians that do."

"I trust you bring good news Talon."

"More like a great gift he said as he lifted Iron Foot out of the cart. Now if I am correct this country is due for the first execution it's had in a while."

"You are correct but we don't exactly have the equipment to do so."

"Just toss his sorry ass off a cliff and see if I try and stop you. There's more than one way to skin a cat."

The guards took offense to his vulgar language in front of the princess.

"Might I ask where Miss Luna could be?"

"She is on a diplomatic mission to the Gryphon kingdoms."

Talon spat on the ground in disgust. The guards had had it at this point and one of them charged Talon. He saw it and knocked the guard to the ground quickly taking a position to finish it. The guard cowered before feeling the pressure on his chest being released.

"Princess you need to get yourself to get a guard with two things. Strength and respect, teach em how to identify special forces and how to actually protect you then to just stand there and look intimidating."

"Would you care to train a few?"

"Well that's a mighty fine offer, but I've got two promises to keep. One of them is going to Ponyville and possibly living there, but before I do that there's a trip I have to make."

"I always figured you would want to go there one day."

"It's my last chance to know who I am. Good-bye Princess Celestia, tell Luna I said hello." with that Talon exited the room leaving Celestia to deal with Iron Foot.

"Guards, lock this scum in the dungeon and don't give him anything until I tell you to."

The guards did as they were told.

Equestria was at peace.