• Published 20th Jun 2024
  • 628 Views, 24 Comments

Frozen Through the Ages - Anemptyshell



Born in the year of the Alicorn Civil War, Glacial Zero struggles to find his place in the world, one that, according to memories, not his own, is a millennium too soon.

  • ...
7
 24
 628

An Icy Touch

I woke with a gasp, my heart pounding in my ears. I looked around my room in a vain attempt to track what had left me breathless. The vague shape of somepony or something slowly closing in. A shape that became more bleary by the second. The stalker vanished back into the subconscious where it'd come from. After several minutes, I'd relaxed enough to flop back into bed. The sun's light was already shining through the small window that sat not a meter away, the only means to tell night from the day in my bare room. It was a place to rest my head and nothing more. I didn't really need anything. I didn't spend much time around the house, and neither did Sire, for that matter. For a minute, I simply lay on my back, staring up at my wooden ceiling. While the nightmare had faded, the feeling it left behind was enough to make my stomach churn.

"My my, you look like you've been visited by a specter."

I lazily followed the voice. Freya had taken to floating by my bedside. Face struck with a gentle sorrow. If incorporeal ponies could cry, I'd almost believe she would. I shook my head and sat back up. Father would no doubt be calling for me anytime now, and I didn't want to sour him over a bad dream. I hadn't gotten to talk to him last night. I didn't get to tell him what happened in the grove and the half-dozen frozen trees. I hope they thawed. I didn't need the town conjuring some folk tale about ice monsters or anything.

"That'd be just great," I whispered before sliding out of bed and slowly plodding my way towards the kitchen. I could once again hear Sire whistling as he made breakfast. No matter the time of day, my Father always had time for a jaunty tune. I smiled. It was something I always enjoyed waking up to. A reminder that things could still be okay.

"Morning, colt," Father said as I sat at our dining table. He didn't even look back. I grunted in response. The flick of Sire's ear had me straighten in my seat.

"Morning."

"You sleep well?" he asked.

I nodded. "Better than the night before."

Father turned to me and quirked an eyebrow. Without a word, he placed our breakfast on the table and offered me a plate. The silence that followed left me wishing I'd stayed in bed. When it did break, it was almost worse.

"Did you and Azure Brew have any luck discovering your talent? You were barely awake when I gathered you in the square. The tired only somepony who worked hard can earn."

He'd know more about working hard than most. Now that it was just him and I. He worked three times harder just to keep us comfortable. Even before I got my cutie mark, I'd always known that the docks were not a place for the lazy. Even before it was just the two of us, I'd always known my Father was anything but weak. In a sense, I felt proud that my Father acknowledged how hard I'd practiced yesterday. But that didn't stop it from hurting, even with someone else's memories. Some things could never be forgotten.

"I know how I stopped the fire now. But it doesn't feel right. The magic feels wild."

"Wild, how so?"

I plopped my spoon into my breakfast and met my Father's gaze. He sat nothing given away, face like slightly perturbed granite. It'd been a habit the two of us had as far back as I could recall. Teal eyes lock with teal eyes. It was no fight for control, no act of defiance. It simply was as it'd always been. A way to see behind the mask.

"It doesn't like doing what it's told," I said before lifting my spoon back up and shoving it into my muzzle.

"Does any foal?"

I shrugged. "No, not really."

"Then why would a foal's magic be any different?"

I snorted, choking on my meal, which also earned a smile from my Sire. When I managed to pull my spoon from the back of my throat, I pointed at him. He snorted and swatted at the utensil. I barely managed to pull it back in time before he swiped it, either for himself or across the room.

"That's not fair," I said.

"Was it supposed to be colt?" I tsked and crossed my hooves. My Sire rolled his eyes and returned to his meal. "That reminds me. I managed to ask about your talent. Or, I asked about any such similar magic."

I sat up straighter. "Oh?"

My Father nodded. "Some interesting tales. Most of it was manure. But one or two seemed suspect."

"Don't most sailors tell bunk stories, anyway?" I asked.

Father took a second to consider my question before nodding. "Fair. But, the one that stood out was more than simple fancy or delusion. It was ancient."

Well, that had my attention. I honestly wasn't expecting much from the dock hooves, fishers, or sailors. They were my Father's friends. They weren't bad ponies. They just liked a good yarn. Even my Sire had told a few fibs. I could recall a few with a smile. It wasn't often that he had time, but when he did tell a story, It was worth the wait. But telling stories and solving mysteries weren't really the same thing.

"The story was about pre-unified Equestria. You don't hear many stories about those times anymore. I haven't heard one since I was a foal. Those days were dark, bleak times. Yet, hear one, I did. A strange day for the both of us, I'd wager."

"Very true," I agreed.

“As it went, the tale was about a band of druids, not all unicorns, even back then. Outsiders, shunned by all. These druids came together, even amongst the cold, the windigos, and the uncertainty of war. Which would, for most, be enough to dismiss it outright. I'd have, too, if not for the description of the magic."

"Druids he says. How interesting, wouldn't you say Glacial? So very enchanting," Freya said, gushing as she danced around the table. I struggled not to roll my eyes.

"They said those druids could conjure great magic, power to command nature. They made pacts with fae spirits and could be any tribe. All it took was one of those pacts to do it. Though even among these supposed druids, nothing was said of their cutie marks and talents. Though I was guessing, one can be as liable to learn druid magic as any other."

My fur stood on edge. None of this was in Hal's memories, even if almost all of those memories were of the future. The idea, the fae, had something deep inside me retract in disgust. Sire must have noticed as he leaned forward, eyeing me as I writhed under his look.

"Doesn't feel right, does it?" he asked.

I shook my head. He leaned back and scoffed. "Didn't sit right with me either. It goes against nature. Such pacts would be rife with prices no pony should ever need pay."

On that, he and I agreed. I was not too keen on selling my soul, cutie mark or not. That was if the fae were even real. Though, the magic did sound similar. I looked at my hoof. After yesterday, my hooves still felt cold, but it wasn't as bad as before. I'd hoped wearing myself out would have warmed them up. But there they were, still on the edge of stomping through a fresh coat of snow, a deep numbing chill.

"Do you think maybe I—"

My Sire held up a hoof. "Recall colt, it is a story. Even if true, I wouldn't know a thing about it. If it is druid magic, then I will be as proud of you as I'd be of any other. I advise asking someone smarter than me and a bunch of salted sailors about it all."

I didn't realize it at the time. Not until Father stood and pulled me from my seat into his embrace. I was crying. I was smiling and crying and held tight against my Sire. I didn't know if he knew just how much I needed that: his unconditional pride and the fierce fire hidden behind his sharp gaze. He was right. Maybe the druid story would lead somewhere, maybe not. But I wasn't alone either way. I had Sire, Azure, and even Freya. I had friends, and I had more than enough time to figure it all out.

When he finally let me go, I felt lighter. My sire offered me a pat on the head before moving me onto his back. "We're running late. We can talk more later if you want. Maybe you can ask somepony in town about druids or other ancient magic. If it is ancient magic at all."

"Yeah, okay," I said. I wiped away any stray tears. And settled in as we left the house and headed back into town. The walk was quiet. I was left with a million different thoughts, but none of them made any more sense today than they had yesterday. Could you even get a cutie mark in magic if it was from another race or from the fae? Were the druids even real? If anypony would know, it'd be the Princess. Celestia would no doubt be able to make sense of my talent. I bet she could even explain Hal, or Glacial, or both.

When we got to town, I glided off Sire's back and looked around the square. Nothing in particular caught my eye. I hugged Father goodbye and made a stop at a nearby bench.

Unfortunately, Celestia isn't really an option right now. So, we'd work with what I could get. Maybe Mrs. Brew would know who to ask about old magic or druids or something. There had to be some books or scrolls somewhere. Books a pegasus could get their hooves on.

"Do you think they're real?" Freya asked. I rolled my eyes. "Oh, come on, if ponies like that existed, where are they now? Where did they go?"

Freya hovered over me, her ordinarily amused face left in a pondering pout. One I was probably mirroring. Bogwood is a small town. If I were in Baltimare or Canterlot, I bet there would be all sorts of resources that could help. But, in Bogwood, I might just have to teach myself and hope for the best.

"Not here. Who knows? Maybe they aren't even real. What if they are, and they're illegal?" The thought hit me like a ton of bricks. There might be a good reason they're just stories. They might have been hunted down and left to disappear forever.

"Glacial, calm down. You're overreacting."

I glared up at my imaginary companion. "What if I'm not?"

"You are. Think about it: why would Equestria outlaw special talents? That would be crazy. Not to mention, cutie marks are up for interpretation, so how would you prove the intent behind it? It makes no sense."

I blink and grumble to myself. She had a point. That wouldn't make a lot of sense. At the very least, you'd think they would supply a breakdown of what would qualify for such laws. My head was starting to hurt; this time, it wasn't lack of sleep and panic. No, it was me, just being dumb. I needed to get it together. I had some kind of adult in my head. I could at least pretend to be one.

"Why does everything have to be so complicated?" I asked no one at all.

"Look, there he is."

My ear swiveled to the approaching hoof steps. Azure marched up beside me. If it were anypony who would be looking for me, it'd be her. Though judging by the hoof steps, she wasn't alone. I pulled myself from staring at nothing to staring at a bunch of somethings.

Sure as sunshine, there came Azure Brew in all her smug glory. With her, was the rest of our group friends. The amount of foals our age was few and far between. That season wasn't exactly the most loving and carefree. But, with the war for the heavens, one can hardly be blamed. The seasons after were better. This meant our friend group had a few foals, either late bloomers or a bit young for their cutie marks.

Three others besides Azure'd decided it was Glacial hunting season. The whispers were a bit offputting, even if they tried to be subtle about it.

"Glace, running a bit late today?" Azure asked.

I waved her away. "We can't all be as perfect as you."

"I know," Azure said, pounding a hoof against her chest tuft.

"So, is it true?"

So, it began. To be fair, Wayward Sky hardly meant anything by it. Even now, she was trying with all the subtly of a stampede to look over my shoulder at my cutie mark. Wayward was one of the few born alongside Azure and me, a bright orange pegasus filly with a mane and tail like an ocean sunset. She was also the oldest of my dad's best friends, Wayward Breeze. That meant I'd known her since birth.

Wayward was curious, if not a bit shy, filly. Even as I stood and let the others see for themselves. My cutie mark is on full display, under the scrutiny of everypony present. Wayward was already humming to herself as she leered at my flank. She was so lost in her examination her muzzle fell perhaps a bit too close to it for her own good.

"Brew wasn't talking out her plot after all. Glad you've finally caught up."

"Yeah, yeah, I know, a late bloomer. You won this race, Tender Crop."

Tender Crop pulled Wayward back by her scruff. The earth filly smiled victoriously, all teeth. Which would be fine if she didn't have a chipped front tooth leaving a hole in her otherwise pearly whites. She was also the oldest of our group, a whole season older, to be exact. That meant she was both bigger and bolder than the rest of our herd of friends. A lead mare if there was ever one.

"I always do. It's hard work tending the fields, ya know. The marsh is even worse. I didn't get these by sitting on my hooves." Crop flexed a well-toned leg. Her argument was sound, and her heavier frame was proof enough for me. It didn’t hurt her cutie mark; a mossy trowel didn't scream marsh pony.

"Actually, why aren't you tending the fields today? You don't normally get many free days, now that I think about it," Azure asked.

The farm filly laughed. Her wild green mane almost consumed her whole face. Her only slightly lighter green coat didn't help. Yet wild or not, there was a certain attentive presence in the one orange eye that found freedom for her tangled curls. "Ma had to come in to wait on some tools coming in from the docks. She said I could go if I helped her when the boats came in. It should be about an hour or so. I figured I'd come to check in on you a lot before I go.”

The rest of us nod along. Crop's family worked at one of the bigger local farms. One of the more enormous herds, too. Six siblings, her two moms, and her pa. I hop from the bench and give her a quick nuzzle.

"Glad to see you care," I said. Crop blinked, a tinge of pink coloring her cheeks. Even if it was lost in her bobbing locks.

"So, wassit for?"

"Wassit to ya?" I asked.

Hailing from the city of Manehatten, or just west of Manehatten, Writ Tally groaned. Her accent had always been a bit of a sore spot. That and her Sire, but Writ was alright for city folk. She'd already found herself a job to boot. The new junior auditor. A job that not many wanted, but one Writ took to like the skies. As a fellow pegasus, it was almost paramount that I tease Writ for being such a bookish number addict.

Writ jabbed an off-white hoof at my flank. "Quit stallin'. Wassit do, ya cloudhugger."

Both Wayward and I winced. The two non-fliers shared an unamused look. "Here they go again," Crop said. Azure nodded in agreement.

Writ snorted. "Just because it goes over your head does not make it less true,"

"I'm no cloudhugger. I've been flying right for almost as long as you," I said. I took a step closer, and the two of us were just shy from muzzle to muzzle. My teal eyes stare right into Writ’s own golden glare.

"Okay, that's enough," Azure inserted herself between Writ and I, pushing us apart. "We're here for a reason, and starting fights is not it."

"Brew's right. We're here because Glace finally got his cutie mark. That means everypony is finally a proper adult now," Wayward said. She offered a shy smile, and the tension broke.

I fell back on my haunches and sighed. "You're right, sorry Writ. I was just teasing. I didn't mean anything by it, I promise." I offered a hoof in surrender.

"Yeah, I know. Sorry for almost biting your head off," Writ tapped her hoof to mine. And a new age of peace was forged, for now.

"So, what is your talent? Brew said you can make ice. So like snow, and such?" Crop asked. She pointed to the mostly empty sky. "Bout time for winter, ain't it?"

I looked to Azure, who'd looked nowhere in particular. "Not really, no. What did…" I pointed to Azure. "...She sctually say?"

Azure harrumphed. "I just said. You make ice. Am I wrong then?"

I shake my head. "No, I do, just not that kind of ice."

A talent in hail, then?" Wayward asked, pouting as she leered even harder at my mark.

"It's not weather magic at all." I motioned over my shoulder. "You fillies should see what I did to a few trees off the park path."

The girls shared a look and then followed my lead. Azure took the back of the group. It seemed she was adamant about seeing and believing. She appeared all smiles when they were looking for me. A sneaky traitor to the end. The walk back to the park and then off the beaten path only took a few minutes, but the energy trailed us like a lost dog.

The cooler days and far colder nights meant that the trees, as I'd left them, were primarily as they were when I made my way back to the market. Three separate trees, all in states of frozen. The first was wrapped in a wave of ice that started several hooves away and ended several hooves beyond by going out and away from the trunk properly. The second was far cleaner. The bark from root to eye level was frosted over but already thawing. The final tree was caught in a double helix that wrapped around but barely made contact with the tree at all.

"Wow, Glacial, that's, well, what is it?" Wayward asked. She'd approached and was running a hoof over the helix tree. Her eyes shone with rapt attention.

"Ice mostly," I said.

"That was horrible," Tally said. Her eyes were glued to the tree held by the wave of ice.

"Isn't it cool?" Azure asked.

"That was worse," Tally corrected.

"I thought you said it wasn't weather magic?" Crop asked.

Here was the hard part. I chewed on my inner cheek and looked from tree to tree. When it came to origins, I was still gripping at straws. The evidence of what I could do was there for all to see. That was all I had, though, frozen trees.

"He does it with his hooves," Azure said, shouldering up to me and pulling me into a hug by the withers. "No clouds or anything."

"Excuse me?" Tally said, sputtering as she looked between Azure and me. "How does that even happen?"

"Like earth ponies, clearly." Crop smiled wide as she took a post on my other side and managed to wrap Azure and me into a side hug with one leg.

"Can you show us?" Wayward asked, scuffing a hoof across the dirt. She managed a cough into a hoof before she begrudgingly met my eye. "Please?"

Fillies were traitors and scoundrels, the whole lot of them. Crop released me, and I stumbled forward, nearly running muzzle-first into the waiting Wayward. The others laughed, and I tried not to test just how well my ice-preserved live ponies.

"Sure. I mean, I'm still new with it and everything. But the more practice, the better."

I walked up to the helix tree and placed a hoof on a spot in the middle of one of the open points of the helix itself. I took a deep breath in and felt my hoof tingle in response. The cold bubbled up under my skin. The biting chill of deep winter. I didn't even shiver this time. It felt good, a fount of peace and power. I was cold. The cold was me. I could feel it even as the ice bled through from the point of contact outward in a shapeless, creeping wave. The bark beneath became brittle, and flakes peeled off, dusting the dirt beneath me in a micro snowfall.

I heard a gasp from behind me and the whispers of the girls. I couldn't make out what was said and, for the time being, didn't care. I was free; it felt exactly how I'd felt the first time I'd flown with my own two wings, not gliding, not zipping around a cloud under hoof. It felt just like this, like everything was exactly as it was meant to be.

When I pulled my hoof free, the cold retreated, and the splotch of frozen bark spread two hooves wide. I smiled. It was getting easier to control. I could at least conjure it on command now, for the most part.

"Holy Faust," Writ said. I hadn't noticed her walk up beside me. She gingerly reached out and tapped the frozen spot.

"You weren't kidding. That wasn't pegasus magic at all, was it?" Wayward asked. I wished I'd actually had an answer. I hated this nagging thump in the back of my head, the headache that wouldn't quite go away.

"See, I told you girls. Glace's talent is crazy."

"It's different; I've never seen anything like it. But, and I don't mean anything by it, but what good even is it?" Crop asked.

"What?" I asked.

"You got you got your cutie mark now. That means you'll have to get a job soon, right? We all have to pull our weight. So, the question is, what can freezing things do for work? It isn't like making snow, right? So, then what?"

You could hear a bit of drop across Bogwood. My jaw was slack, and I'd fallen onto my haunches without noticing. What good could I even know? I'd been so stuck on the how and why that I never thought up what I could actually do with my ice magic at all.

"Faust, damn it."

"Seriously?" Writ and Freya echoed, even if Writ was none the wiser.

I planted a hoof hard into my face. Writ and Crop were right. The girls silently watched me as I struggled to cobble up an honest answer. Ice, what could you do with just ice? Where could I use it and not just make a mess? I shook my head. "I got nothing."

"Dang it, Glacial, are all colts as clueless as you are?" Tally asked.

"Yes." All of the fillies said as one.

I crossed my hooves in mock rage, muzzle pointed toward the sky. "Gee, thanks, girls, glad to know how you really feel."

"You know we are kidding, ya big baby."

Azure nodded. "Tally is right. You know we love you."

I huff and turn away from my supposed friends. "Gross, maybe I don't want your stinky love. Ever think of that?"

"Nope, not even once," Azure said, crossing her own hooves. She was grinning so hard I wondered if she'd pull a muscle. The others backed Azure, nodding along with her.

"So, if you don't have any ideas, maybe we can help." Wayward spread her wings and waved at the frozen trees. "There has to be something you can do."

"You could always join your Sire," Freya said. She waved off vaguely in the direction of the docks. "Plenty of jobs there, right?" I chose to ignore her, even if she wasn't wrong.

"Might help if we knew what he was doing." Tally sat off-white hoof, tapping away a tuneless beat on her chin.

"You mean freezing stuff?" Crop said. She leaned in towards Tally, brow raised behind the shrub she called a mane.

"He's not just freezing things. He shouldn't be able to freeze things like that at all. It makes no sense. He makes no sense."

"Does any colt?" Crop followed up.

"Nope," Azure added. This earned a giggle from the others. Even if Tally had to hide her smile behind a hoof.

"She's right, though. Tally, I mean, not Azure." Azure muttered about me being rude, but I did my best to ignore her. "I don't even think unicorns can do magic like this. Earth ponies use their hooves but can’t make things cold and hot whenever needed. They would never have needed pegasi to control the weather at all if they could, right?" I looked to Crop, who shrugged.

“Maybe Ma would know. She and my aunt Bramble are the ones who talk with the weather ponies. Perhaps they'd know something."

I smiled and nuzzled up to Crop, who ran flush again. It was too easy, really. But she deserved it. I didn't have many leads, so any help was welcomed.

"I could ask my Dam, too. She has to read up on all sorts of magic to make her potions. I bet she'd even let you borrow a book or two if we asked."

I smiled at Azure. "I was actually thinking the same thing earlier. My Sire mentioned some old stories that might mention magic like mine. Maybe your Dam would have something on that, too."

"What stories?" Writ asked.

"Uh, druids, why?"

"Wait, aren't those foal stories?" Crop asked.

I shrugged. "No idea, but according to my sire, they could use magic no matter what tribe they belonged to. Even magic their tribe can't normally use."

"Hmm, couldn't hurt to at least look," Tally said. The filly was still deep in thought. Nothing short of an earthquake would pull that filly from her head now. I was surprised she'd heard the talk of druids at all.

"Well, in the meantime, while we're all still here. Any ideas for what Glacial's special talent can do for work? Or, maybe somepony he can apprentice with? He can't go on and be a mooch forever, can he?

I hissed. Crop knew how to stomp my worries harder into my strained brain space. Something made worse by the manic grin Freya was wearing. She'd been strangely quiet this morning. However, with every pony around, she really didn't have much room to get a word edgewise. Instead, she mostly floated around the alcove of trees and watched everything play out.

"I've only had my cutie mark for a couple of days; it's not like I'm just lazing about, you know."

Apparently, Crop realized what she'd said and went so red I worried she'd burst. Azure pulled the bigger filly into a nuzzle. Of which Wayward joined.

"She didn't mean anything by it, right?" Wayward asked.

"No, I just—"

I raised a hoof, silencing. The stuttering farm filly.

"I know, I was just kidding. You're not even wrong. I really should take some time to consider what good my magic can be. Hay, even if it is just preserving fish down on the docks. I could at least do that until I think up something better."

I smile and join the group hug. There was always time for a good hug. Crop relaxed, and we let her go. That being said, any ideas would be welcomed outside of keeping fish on ice. I mean, I'd do it if I had to. Sire could always use an extra set of hooves and wings.

"If you can also melt ice, I bet cleaning up after snowstorms would be a job any weather team would be grateful for," Wayward offered.

"True, but that's pretty seasonal, isn't it? I could just be a normal weather pony outside of the colder months, but that doesn't reflect my talent much."

I had considered the weather team already. There were, of course, plenty of ponies who had jobs that didn't have a perfect match with their cutie marks. Sometimes, you just had to do whatever it took to survive. That didn't mean I'd want to if I could find something better.

"Can you melt your ice?" Tally asked. It seemed we'd roused the beast back to the land of the living. She was eying me intensely enough, and I felt myself shuffle my hooves in place.

"I don't know. I've never tried. I was more focused on getting my talent to work than worrying about if I could undo it."

"Well, no time like the present."

Azure pounced, shoving me back to the tree I'd worked with a few minutes ago. I flail my hooves with little success, trying to deflect my attacker. When she did let go, I was nearly muzzle to tree with the frosted bark.

"Geez, okay," I said, taking a solid step back. "Let's see.” I planted a hoof back on the icy patch I made before. I closed my eyes and focused on the ice, the chill on my frog, the feel of the bark beneath. When I froze something, I felt the ice channel out, so instead, I imagined sucking it all back in like a deep breath before plunging myself underwater. A shock ran down my spine. I gasped and opened my eyes. The ice was gone, mostly. What little remained could barely be considered condensation. Ice or no ice, the cold on the tree remained.

"I guess that answers that," Crop said.

"Wow, that was amazing," Wayward said with a clap.

"You make less and less sense by the day, Glace."

I turned and looked down at the still-seated Tally Writ. She looked back up at me without so much as a single flinch.

I shrug. "True."

"So, everypony wanna come back to my dam's shop? I bet she could think up some jobs Glace could do. We could even ask her about the druids." Azure asked.

"As fun as that sounds, I should probably head over to the docks. No clue when Ma will need me. 'Sides. Like I said, I can still ask my folks back home. They might surprise ya."

I bump the older fillies' side. "I'd be a moron to underestimate Mrs. Hard Forage or anypony in your herd."

"You better believe it."

That said, the group left the trees behind and returned to the park path. As we arrived at the market, Tender Crop peeled off and headed toward the docks. The rest of us made way for 'What Ails You.'

"Welcome to, oh, honey, you're back early. That you are." Mrs. Home Brew greeted her daughter. The two shared a nuzzle before Azure motioned to the rest of us.

"Dam, do you mind helping me and the girls with something?"

"I can spare a minute. I can, indeed. What do you need?"

"Well, we're trying to help Glacial with his talent. Because it isn't pegasus magic, and his sire was talking about druids…" Azure said, rushing through each topic with the reckless abandon of a bat out of hell.

"Honey, slow down. You're going to fast. I don't follow."

I rolled my eyes and pushed Azure out of the way. "What Azure is trying to say is that my talent is a bit odd, and we thought that with all your magic know-how, you might have something that could help."

"And what kind of magic would that be, Glaci, dear?"

"Druid magic," Tally finished.

"And why would you need something on that?" Mrs. Brew looked on the verge of a pout and a flinch. I felt an ear flicker as I tried to pinpoint what she was thinking. Mrs. Brew had never been a terrific liar. Hiding stuff was the opposite of everything she said or did. Whatever she was feeling was conflicted, which did not sit well.

"Ooooh, the plot thickens," Freya whispered into my ear. I had to bite my tongue to stop myself from squeaking. This earned a side eye from Wayward, who drew in a bit closer and pulled me under her wing. It also resulted in Freya cackling like a hag.

"It'd be faster to show you. If you don’t mind?" I asked from my soft, feathery blanket. I pointed to a splintered piece of dogwood. "Mind if I use that? I promise I'll give it right back."

Mrs. Brew's look grew more conflicted, but she nodded all the same. She scooped the wood up in her magic and offered it to me. I smiled and took the wood, which pulled me free of Wayward's protective wing.

I took a deep breath, and wood in my hoof, I let the cold out. Deep in my hooves, the same cold that sat just below the surface ran back up and through my spine. The dogwood never stood a chance. In seconds, the whole of the wood was frozen solid. My task was complete, and I offered it back to its owner.

"Oh my."

That was not an inspiring response. Though a certain err of confusion and intrigue dotted Mrs. Brew's knit brow. The girls seemed to see it, too. I swallowed hard and stretched my smile a bit thinner. The door was starting to look rather inviting.

"I'll admit, that was quite unexpected, Glaci, not expected at all."

"Is that a bad thing?" I asked.

"No, not as it is, no. It is rare and rarer for non-unicorns to be given a talent in elemental magic like yours. I promise I was just surprised."

I cocked my head to the side. "So, it isn't pegasus magic?" I asked. The question was rhetorical for me, but having somepony more aware of the subject confirm it was a bit relieving. It also means it isn't unheard of, which is even better.

"No, this is a more specialized magic. I won't lie; no, I won't. I'm no scholar, but keeping tabs on magic is half of an alchemist's job. As I understand it, the little I've seen. Such cases are usually passed through blood."

"Oh, So I won't get in trouble for my cutie mark?" I asked. I put on a pout and leaned into the naturally adorable nature of foals. If I was going to learn the truth, I'd need every advantage I had.

"Not from the Princess or guard," Mrs. Brew answered.

"What a way to phrase that. The Princess may not come for you, but somepony else might. You may want to reframe from telling any uppity unicorns then," Freya said, hissing in reference to the horned tribe. Did I have some built-in resentment going on? I don't feel like I secretly hated unicorns. My pout was no longer fake.

"That does not bode well," Tally said.

"No, no, it does not," I agreed.

"Are there any books we have that could help, Glace?" Azure asked.

Mrs. Brew tapped away on her counter. Then, without a word, she turned and wandered into the back rooms of her shop, which doubled as her home, after a moment in her personal space. She returned after with an unsure silence, floating along a pair of books.

"These two may have some useful bits, they may indeed. I don't mind you borrowing them as long as you return them once done. Okay?" Mrs. Brew floated the books into grabbable reach. While I happily nodded all the while.

"Of course, I'll return them without a scratch."

Mrs. Brew took a long breath and smiled back. "Good colt. Now I really must get back to work, Azure as well, we do. So, please be safe, children, and have a wonderful day."

That was that. Wayward, Tally and I left Azure to work and made our way to the nearest bench. The afternoon waned on, and both Tally and I skimmed the two books I'd been given. The first was 'An Elementary Guide of Elements.' a simplified book about how the elements work. It offered little in explaining how a non-unicorn could get or use said magicks, but understanding ice magic, or if all else fails, learning necromancy, could be helpful if I am quartered. The second book, 'A Dissection of your Magic Affinities' was a bit more advanced to the point where even Hal would struggle. It didn't help that neither Hal nor I had any knowledge of magic or how it works. I might need to find a beginner's guide on magic as a whole. That would be a future me's issue. Tally at least seemed to understand most of the terms used. Which aided in giving me some ideas on the topics. 'A Dissection of your Magic Affinities' was still a bit of a nightmare even still.

Wayward and Tally eventually had to get back to work or do errands. This left Freya and me browsing page after page. My head felt full to bursting by the time Sire came to get me. The light had faded to the point I couldn't have read much more, even if I'd wanted to.

"What have you there, colt?" Sire asked as he joined me by the bench.

"Mrs. Brew had some books to help with my cutie mark. She let me borrow them, for a while. Even if they are hard to read," I said. I hopped from the bench and put the two books on my back. I smiled up at my sire, who chuckled in return.

"Well, that was very kind of her. Learn anything else today?"

I nodded. "Well, my magic is not, as we thought, pegasus magic in any way. I also learned others have had magic like it before. So, that's good, right? I'm not alone, at least."

I was hoisted onto Father's back, who hummed in agreement. "Could be worse then. Now, if only we could put it to good use."

"I'm working on that actually. I learned I can melt ice and not just make it. So, that is one more use than I had since yesterday."

"And the druids?"

I let out a deep sigh. "Mentioning druids made Mrs. Brew upset. No, not upset, maybe scared. I'm not sure."

"Odd."

We fell into a gentle silence. Hal knew what cryomancy was back before he, I? Died. I don't know how much carries over if any did. Hal's world didn't have magic, so it was all imaginary. Tomorrow, I'd start experimenting. It was the only natural way I'd know for sure. Once I know where my limits are, I can get a bit more creative.

"Father?"

"Yes?"

"If you don't mind, I think I'd like to stay home tomorrow."

That earned a snort followed by a deep belly laugh. "So much like your dam."

"Is that a no?" I asked.

"You plan to mess with your magic, don't you?" Father asked.

"Yes, I do."

"Well, I'd prefer it be on our land than shattering some shopkeep window."

I laughed along with my father. When the laughter stopped, I wrapped my hooves around my Sire's back as I could manage. "Love you, Sire."

"Love you too, colt."

Tomorrow was going to be interesting. I just prayed to Faust that I wouldn't break another lantern. I don't think Sire would be so forgiving of a second one.