• Published 22nd Jun 2024
  • 372 Views, 19 Comments

Diamond in the Rough - Lucky Seven



Rarity pays a visit to Applejack on their anniversary.

  • ...
7
 19
 372

The Only Chapter

Author's Note:

I wanted to write a quick 1,000 word story as a challenge to myself, and this was the result. No edits, done in about 30 minutes. Hope you like it :)

“Happy Anniversary, Applejack.”

Rarity looked down at the mare of her dreams. It had been a few weeks since she’d seen Applejack, and that time apart had nearly been too much to bear. But now they were together again, and Rarity could manage to smile just a bit.

“I made myself an absolutely divine Haute Couture dress for the occasion,” Rarity said, twirling around to show off the entirety of her gown. The many gems adorning sparkled and shimmered in the moonlight. Diamonds and rubies, a pairing meant to reflect their Elements. “You know I always have to be dressed to the nines for our dates. Heh, you seemed so embarrassed when I showed up to your family’s barn dance in my Grand Galloping Gala attire. But then, we danced away the night anyway. I had never square-danced before, but the fact that it was with you made it feel all too familiar.”

Rarity paused for a moment, kicking her hoof idly at the ground. Bits of dirt flew about, some landing on her alabaster coat. She looked down at the brown stains, then back to Applejack. “I used to be so afraid of dirt. Of manual labor. The idea of getting… filthy,” she said with a shudder, “used to absolutely repulse me. But… something changed when I met you.”

The seamstress chuckled. “I don’t know if it’s always true, but opposites most certainly did attract in our case. There I was, a mare obsessed with high society, falling head over hooves for someone the average Canterlot pony would look down on. A farm mare. But none of them could understand the passion and drive you have.”

Pausing again, Rarity stepped a bit closer to Applejack. Her horn lit up a faint blue, and a bouquet of flowers was wrenched free from under her dress. She examined them for a moment. Roses, tulips, dandelions, lilies, even some orchids. They were all peppered throughout. Bringing the petals to her snout, she gave them a good whiff and let out a sigh. One of pure content. “I know you’ve never been a big fan of flowers, but they’ve always reminded me of you. They love the outdoors. The sunlight. And they’re utterly gorgeous.”

The bouquet found its way towards Applejack, and Rarity released it from her magical grasp. “I do hope you enjoy them. I had Daisy specially prepare this bouquet for our anniversary.”

Falling back onto her haunches, Rarity continued. “Hard to believe it’s been thirty years since you said yes. I never in a million years thought you would. Sure, we were happy, but I didn’t think marriage was important to a mare like you.”

Rarity’s eyes scanned upwards to the ring on her horn. “... And I was right. You didn’t care about marriage or a big wedding or a fairy tale ending. But you knew that I did, so you provided me with all of them nevertheless.”

For a moment, Rarity said nothing. She simply stared at her wife. Falling for her had been so easy, and even right now, the love she felt was beginning to overflow in the form of tears. As they slowly broke free from her eyes and rolled down her cheeks, she couldn’t help but think back to that fateful day all those years ago. Of course Spikey-Wikey would forget the rings, and of course Applejack would sneeze right into her hoof during their vows and continue as if nothing had happened, snot still caking her hoof. Normally, Rarity would have been fuming. But she’d come to grow used to Applejack's quirks. They were a charming part of her.

“Since it’s our thirtieth, I went ahead and brought something pretty special,” Rarity said. Twisting her body around, she grabbed hold of a picnic basket and returned back to her normal position, plopping it down between the two. Reaching her hooves out to open it up, she plucked a rather large bottle from it. It was a deep green color, with a dark red liquid sloshing around inside. Setting it down gently next to the basket, she reached back into the box and pulled out two glasses.

Using her magic, Rarity popped the cork of the wine bottle with ease. “I traveled all the way to Manehattan to get a bottle of their finest. Don’t worry about the cost, nothing is too expensive for you, darling.”

Lifting the bottle up, she poured a bit into her own glass until it was about halfway full, then maneuvered it to do the same for Applejack’s. Once she was done, she set the bottle back down and pushed the cork back into the opening, sealing it for another occasion.

Rarity daintily grabbed her wine glass, raising it up. “To us. A couple of mares who, no matter the circumstance, would do anything for each other. Others may scoff at our relationship, but they’ll never understand just how alike we truly were. Passionate, driven, and willing to do whatever it takes to succeed. Sure, some may see our love for what we do as arrogance, but they don’t know the true Applejack and Rarity. So, to us!”

Rarity tipped the glass towards her muzzle, opening her mouth to let some of the wine in. It was tart, but absolutely soothing to the senses. After a few sips, Rarity lowered her glass back to the grass beneath her. Reaching down into the picnic basket again, she pulled out an all too familiar item.

“I wanted to surprise you. I spent some time the other day working on restoring your stetson to its original glory. You never went anywhere without this hat. ‘Honoring your father’, you’d always say. For a long time, I didn’t understand.”

Rarity lifted the hat up, placing it gently atop her head. Shakily, she lifted herself back onto her hooves. She looked down at Applejack’s grave, glass of wine and flowers sitting in front of it, and tipped the hat down.

“I’ll never stop loving you, Applejack.”

Comments ( 19 )
Muggonny #1 · 1 week ago · · 1 ·

heartfelt comment about how much i like this story

Damn, this was written really well for 30 minutes. Felt like a movie scene.


11933938
ain no way bro beat me to it 😭

Soaring #3 · 1 week ago · · 1 ·

11933938
heartfelt reply addressing Applejack being a background pony just to piss off @Rikkity in a jovial way. Also ratio + seethe + read the fic you heretic.

Update, will CrimsonWolf360 read this one? :(

Damn, right in the feels.

Nice work!

I had a feeling, but your execution still hit hard >< really well written^^

Alex_ #6 · 1 week ago · · 1 ·

Funny comment

It was fairly good until then, but as soon as she adopted AJ's old hat I was sold

Hillbe #8 · 1 week ago · · 1 ·

:ajsmug: I'm flower food

Alex_ #9 · 1 week ago · · ·

11934014
Brutal :ajsleepy:

8_Bit #10 · 1 week ago · · ·

…take my upvote while I go find some tissues :fluttercry:

That was so very beautiful. :fluttercry:

I'm not crying, you're crying! Stupid allergies.

I knew from the get-go that she was talking to AJ’S grave, but the reveal still hit me. Beautiful work.

Into Best of Romance this goes and best of luck in the judging.

Oh my goodness, as soon as I read the first few paragraphs and applejacks lines were no where to be found I got suspicious.. the lines and the look back at their life. Man.. if they’ve been married for 30 years too, rarity is no old pony yet, applejack must’ve passed away still very young, that is heartbreaking. Loosing a partner is never ok, but for rarity I feel it’s especially heart wrenching for her. She never got to live out the rest of her life with aj, she never got that fairy tale finale with her…

Thank you so much for the wonderful read, I really needed this, a nice reminder that nothing in this life will last forever, cherish each memory, don’t hesitate, don’t be afraid when it’s time to do something scary, you only have 1 life. Live, and love, as much as you can possibly do.

Ok. This got me in the feels. Good job on the story.

11933944 11933955 11933959 11934001 11934089 11934097 11934105 11934178 11934221

I really appreciate all of the kind comments. I've been wanting to try my hand at some short-form stuff again, specifically just around 1,000 words. I'll probably be writing more stuff like this since I've always been a sucker for sad stuff and romance. Admittedly, I sometimes have scary dreams (nightmares) about this happening with my partner and I, and writing out my feelings always helps them go away.

Remember to cherish every moment with your loved ones :heart:

11934241
Oh boy. I know that feeling. I lost two of my uncles years ago and it still hurts to talk about. But the time I spent with them will always live on in my heart

I knew where this was going from the start, but damn, it still hit right in the heart. I love seeing one of my favorite ships get attention, even if it's a big ol' smack in my feelings. Take your upvote, dammit.

11934025
:flutterrage: Discord! I want to be a tree! NOW Mister! We can have tea later if you want too
:fluttershysad:Don't forget to take care of Annarchy Shy of Chaos

I just found a picture that reminded me of this story, and thought I'd post it here:
i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/600/564/dad.png

Login or register to comment