• Published 2nd Feb 2012
  • 866 Views, 22 Comments

Guardian of the Light - DawnCrusade



Wryn plans to save Equestria, but he has a run-in with a pony earlier than planned. . .

  • ...
3
 22
 866

A Ring of Friends

Chapter One: A Ring of Friends

As Wryn began his story, he noticed that a new pony would wander in and join the circle, he paid no mind to them at first since it was apparent that they weren't scared of him. The first to join was a shy yellow pegasus, who seemed unsure about the dragon before her and shifted from side to side.

"Hello," Wryn said with a smile, trying to make the shy pegasus feel more comfortable, she then trotted over next to Twilight and took a seat. "Ahem," Wryn coughed as he re-positioned himself on the stump of a dead tree. "I used to live in a small town in a remote area in my world, it was peaceful, no being ever threatened to attack us and we went on with life," he explained, "Although it wasn't long before one group, a race calling themselves the Humans, convinced the other races that we were too powerful and should be killed." "They were jealous of the power we held, and they despised us for what we were." Wryn heard more shuffling from the edge of camp, "More of your friends?" he asked.

"I-I'm pretty sure that's Rarity," the yellow pegasus whispered, "She said that she was getting tired before I left."

Wryn focused on her, "Thank you, and I never learned your name by the way."

With a slight gulp she whispered "M-My name is F-Fluttershy." As soon as she finished an elegant white unicorn emerged into the clearing.

"Who are you two talking to?" Rarity asked, making her way to sit next to her friends.

"This is Wryn," Twilight responded, "He was just telling us about himself and why he is here in Ponyville."

"Well," Wryn sighed, "Should I be expecting anyone else? This tale doesn't make much sense if you don't hear it from the beginning."

"We'll fill the others in when they arrive Darling," Rarity yawns, "Please continue."

Wryn regained his composure as he continued, "Being a dragon where I was from at that time was dangerous, there were several raids on our town, those races hated us to such an extent as to send in spies." Wryn let out a deep breath, as memories flashed through his mind. "Eventually one race succeeded in placing a spy, a small human child was found wandering in the woods surrounding our town in the middle of the night, and my parents took pity on him." Wryn broke off as more images of the past rushed through his head. "It took everyone by suprise when one day he unleashed an ancient evil and wiped out the town, the hatred he had for the ones who had taken care of him shocked everyone in town." Another pony trotted into the clearing and took a seat next to Rarity, the pegasus' mane and tail were colored like a rainbow. "I was the only survivor, I knew that child's purpose was to try and kill us, knowing this I took refuge in a nearby cave." More memories flowed through Wryn's mind, bringing along a wave of pain, "He spared no one, he killed every adult, child, and elder." "And now he threatens to do away with anyone who stands in his way, but I know inside that he fears me, dragons were too tough to face head-on, which is why they ambushed us." A grin slowly spreads it's way across Wryn's face, "He thinks that by merging worlds and forming alliances with each of those world's evils that he could win." Wryn let out a chuckle, "Little did he know that I too was searching, but instead I was looking for the Lights, those who would assist me in the fight." With an air of finality Wryn says, "Which is why I'm here, so he doesn't get the chance to do any harm." Just as he ends two ponies walked in, well one was walking and the other was bouncing like a rabbit.

"Who are you!" The pink earth pony exclaimed, jumping in circles around Wryn, That must be Pinkie, the pony Twilight was talking to earlier.

"My name is- ," Wryn's introduction was cut short.

"Do ya'll think we can leave the chitchat for later?" the orange earth pony interjects, "Ah think a storms brewin'!"

"Good idea Applejack," says Twilight, looking up at the darkening sky in anticipation. After Wryn picked up his belongings they made their way to Twilight's home.