• Published 1st May 2024
  • 126 Views, 4 Comments

Equestria Marching Girls - beatlestributeman



This series takes place in an Alternate Universe where the Equestria Girls characters are in their high school marching band and therefore Equestria doesn’t exist.

  • ...
 4
 126

Meeting For Practice

Fluttershy was setting up her flute while she waited for her friends to meet her in the gym. In order to be ready for the pep rally on Friday, it was agreed that the girls would meet in the gym to practice. Fluttershy also played the tuba, but that was something she would play outside of school.

Fluttershy blew a flurry of notes on her flute.

“Hey, Fluttershy!” a voice said behind her.

“Eeep!” Fluttershy was slightly startled.

She calmed down when she saw that it was her best friend, Rainbow Dash standing behind her. Rainbow also had her sousaphone on her right shoulder.

“Oh, Rainbow, you startled me,” Fluttershy spoke timidly to her childhood friend.

“Yeah, sorry about that,” Rainbow apologized. “You ready for band practice?”

“I sure am,” Fluttershy nodded. “But we still have to wait for the others to show up.”

“Well,” Rainbow gained a mischievous look. “I’m sure they won’t mind if I blow a few tuba notes before they show up.”

Rainbow Dash put her mouthpiece up to her lips and blew half a G scale on her sousaphone.

“That sounds really nice, Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy commented.

“Yeah, the tuba is awesome, isn’t it?” Rainbow commented. “I always feel awesome when I play it.”

“Ah hear that,” the two girls heard a country sounding voice come from behind them.

They turned to see the one who had just spoken Applejack, Rarity and Pinkie Pie come into the gym. Applejack had a sousaphone on her right shoulder, Rarity had a clarinet in her hand and Pinkie Pie was carrying a bass drum.

“Hey, Girls,” Rainbow waved. “Made it in a nick of time.”

“Well, when you asked us to get together for practice there was no we were gonna say no,” Applejack spoke.

“I agree, Darling,” Rarity spoke up. “One must specialize in playing with groups in order to be excellent as an individual musician. And I must admit playing along with all of you on my clarinet is more than enjoyable.”

“I totally agree!” Pinkie squealed in excitement. “I just love keeping the beat on my bass drum, while you and AJ blow on your tubas, Fluttershy plays shrill notes on her flute and Rarity plays wonderful melodies on her clarinet! It’s so much fun!”

Rainbow Dash chuckled, “Love the enthusiasm, Pinkie.”

“Remember, though, Pinkie,” Applejack chimed in. “Rainbow and Ah aren't the only tuba girls in our little group of musicians.”

“Oh, yeah,” Pinkie realized. “Where are Twilight and Sunset anyway? And didn’t Sonata and her sisters say they’d be joining us too?”

“They should be here in a bit,” Applejack said.

“Here we are, Girls,” Sunset’s voice came.

The girls turned to see Sunset and Twilight walk in with their sousaphones on.

“Hey, there, Sunset and Twilight,” Applejack waved to them.

“Glad you could make it, Darlings,” Rarity spoke.

"We'd never miss practicing our tubas with you girls," Twilight spoke with a smile.

“Well, that's why you two are two of the best tubists in school after all,” Rainbow commented.

Sunset chuckled, “You are too, Rainbow Dash.”

“Ah know I couldn’t go a day without blowing my tuba,” Applejack commented.

“Well, then give us a note, AJ,” Rainbow suggested.

“Well, since you asked,” Applejack said.

Applejack took a breath and blew a D, a C, a B an A and a low G note into her sousaphone and held it for five seconds.

The girls clapped for her.

“Way to go, AJ!” Rainbow cheered.

“You’re an incredible tubist just like the rest of us,” Sunset commented.

“I agree,” Twilight added.

“Aww, thanks, partners,” Applejack said in appreciation.

“Hey, don’t start the music party without us,” a new voice came.

The girls turned to see Sonata Dusk, who had just spoken, coming their way, wearing her sousaphone. Behind her were her sisters, Aria Blaze and Adagio Dazzle who had sousaphones too.

“Sonata!” Pinkie squealed in excitement to see another one of her best friends.

“Hey, Pinkie!” Sonata said with a friendly wave. “You girls ready to fill this gym with tuba music and music from other instruments?”

“We sure are!” Pinkie squealed in excitement. “Right, everybody?”

The girls murmured in agreement.

“Have you and your sisters been practicing a lot, Sonata?” Sunset asked her tuba playing friend.

“I sure have,” Sonata answered with pride. “I always aim to be one of the best tubists this school has ever had.”

“You’re not the only one, Sonata,” Aria chimed in. “I’m just as good a tuba player as you are, remember.”

“Relax, Aria, I didn’t forget,” Sonata assured. “You fell in love with playing the tuba at the same time I did.”

“Oh, yes, I remember that well,” Adagio spoke up. “You and Sonata haven't stopped playing those tubas of yours since second grade.”

Aria blushed slightly before she retorted, “Well, you didn’t either, Adagio.”

Adagio shrugged, “Well, that’s true.”

“Alright, girls,” Sonata spoke up. “Listen to this.”

Sonata took a deep breath and blew a flurry of low notes ranging from D to low G into her sousaphone.

The girls clapped.

“Way to go, Sonata,” Twilight cheered.

“I can also play, When The Saints Go Marching In,” Sonata pointed out. “Hey, Rarity, mind giving me a little backup on that clarinet of yours?”

“Well, of course, Darling,” Rarity gratefully accepted.

Sonata giggled with delight before a counted in, “A 1,2,3,4,5…

Sonata started blowing a jazzy tuba rendition of When The Saints Go Marching In on her sousaphone. The key was in B Flat. Rarity soon joined in on her clarinet. When the two musicians finished the song , the other girls cheered loudly for them.

“That was amazing!” Fluttershy commented.

“Darn tootin, it was,” Applejack added.

Sonata took a bow.

“Thanks, Girls,” Sonata said with a smile. “I’ve been practicing. And you’re clarinet playing is spot on, Rarity.”

“Why thank you, Darling,” Rarity said in appreciation.

“Well, I can hold a note on a tuba for 15 seconds,” Aria chimed in.

“Really,” Rainbow spoke with curiosity. “Then show us.”

“Gladly,” Aria took a deep breath and blew a long low G note into her sousaphone that lasted fifteen seconds just like she said she would.

The girls clapped and cheered for her.

“Man, you’ve got mighty strong lungs, Aria,” Applejack commented in amazement.

“Well, playing the tuba since second grade will do that to you,” Aria pointed out. “And listen to this…”

Aria took a deep breath and played a Low G on her sousaphone before shifting to Low A Flat and back to Low G.

The other girls clapped for their pig-tailed tuba playing friend.

“Nice notes, Aria,” Twilight said in amazement.

"Thank you, you're too kind," Aria said as she took a bow.

“How about you, Adagio?” Sunset spoke to the orange haired sister. “Do you want to play anything for us?”

Adagio shrugged, “Well, since you asked.”

Adagio started marching across the gym while playing a classic marching tune on her sousaphone. Her movements were like struts as she was playing.

As soon as she finished, the girls clapped.

“Way to go, Adagio,” Sunset commented.

“Why, thank you, thank you, you’re too kind,” Adagio said as she took a bow.

“Alright, everybody,” Sunset got the other girl's attention. “We’ve still got to practice for the pep rally on Friday. You with me on this?”

“Yeah!!!” the other girls cheered.

Sunset nodded, “Then let’s get started.”

To be continued...