• Published 14th May 2013
  • 10,820 Views, 622 Comments

Twilight's Secret - Distorted Flare



Possessed by a question, Twilight sets out to have it answered. Of course, she will have to violate a huge pony taboo to do so. But hay, it's for science!

  • ...
27
 622
 10,820

Feast fit for a princess.

Author's Note:

I apologies for the lack of updates with this story. I have been swamped with commissions, both online and in real life, college and work. This story has not been fully proof read and still needs to be refined slightly so I hope you will all be patient with me and I promise when i am free to give this story and others more attention. I will also be returning the story to its light hearted and funny origin as I feel I was putting in too much drama.

If you spot any mistakes, both spelling and grammatical please point them out so I can correct them.

Chapter ten

With a sharp twang, the mare released the string. The boar roared in pain as the arrow lodged itself into the beast's chest. Gilda growled, ducking under its snapping jaws.. Dropping her spear, the gryphon narrowly avoided being gored on one of its tusks. Twilight did what she could with her bow, the arrows not having the strength to inflict serious harm. At most her arrows were an annoyance rather than harmful. Though, the alicorn's attacks gave Gilda the time needed to retrieve her spear.

Traditional hunting would have a hunter prop a spear into the ground and let the boar impale itself on it. But for this boar, the spear's size difference was too great. To give the prey a sporting chance, large spears and other weapons were banned. "How much greater the challenge and thrill," the king had asked, "Going into the hunt with barely more than your wits and your skills?"

With a quick turn, Gilda stabbed at the boar's head. The beast reared backwards with a sharp squeal of annoyance. One wrong move would mean the death of one of them. The boar snapped at the gryphon, releasing the masticated remains of former wildlife.

Turning, the boar set its sights on the alicorn,its eye narrowing as it pawed the ground menacingly. Squealing, the beast slammed its hoof into the ground cracking a large stone in half as it charged. Twilight gave a horrified gasp, her wings flapping as she tried to get airborne, the boars serrated tusks aimed at the alicorn’s head.

Twilight cried out in alarm as the boar crashed into her, the mare having been too slow. She was flung like a rag doll across the clearing a sickening crunch coming from her wing. Snorting in pleasure the boar slammed one of its meaty hoofs down on her bow, snapping it like a flimsy toothpick. The mare whimpered as her wing was forced into a crooked position, throbbing with pain. She was most likely suffering a small concussion. Twilight knew she was in trouble. Dazed and sore, With a small gasp,she looked up to see the beast leering down at her. It snapped its jaws together in a frightful display. shivering, Twilight waited for the beast to finish her.

“Stay away from her, you bastard!” Gilda roared, darting in front of the mare her spear primed and ready to draw blood. Snorting the boar threw its head back and forth attempting to impale the gryphon on its tusks as Gilda elegantly danced out the way. The gryphon drew the boar away leaving the mare to curl up in agony, her head still spinning, her ears ringing.

A wet crunch, followed by an ear piercing roar, signaled that the gryphon had struck the boar. Twilight dared to open her eyes, watching bleary-eyed as the boar stumbled around the small clearing. Its back legs collapsed, forcing all of its weight onto its front. Its front legs wobbled before collapsing beneath its own weight. With a gurgled, ragged breath, the boar spasmed before dying.

Twilight hissed as nauseating waves of pain shot through her broken wing. Tears stung her eyes as the mare tried to stand. Her front left ankle was swollen and so painful she was unable to use it.

Gilda rushed over to Twilight, a look of genuine panic on her face as she inspected Twilight's wounds.

“Can you walk?” the gryphon questioned. Shaking her head, she bit on her lip to suppress a hiss every time Gilda poked and prodded at her wing or hoof. “hmm, your wing is completely busted,” Gilda chuckled half-heartedly. Neither of them was in a particularly good mood, but Twilight bit down a retort anyways. It would not do her well to berate or insult her only means of escaping this accursed forest. “Hold on, dweeb,” Gilda ordered. She lightly crouched down and maneuvered one of her wings under Twilight’s body. With a small grunt, she pushed herself up and slid down onto Gilda’s back, the gryphon tilting her wings in the process to make sure that her partner did not fall off.

“What about the boar?” Twilight questioned. Gilda snorted in response.

“Forget the damn boar! My main concern is making sure that my dad doesn't get into trouble with Equestria because I got an Equestrian princess killed,” Gilda grunted. The gryphon cursed as she struggled with the added weight.

“You are surprisingly heavy, for a princess.” Gilda hissed clenching her beak as she cursed under her breath,

“I’m not fat, I am pleasent plump,” she huffed. Gilda gave a small snort helping to lighten the mood.

“Dwee—Twilight, are you okay?” Gilda asked, tilting her head so that she was looking at the alicorn.

“I am sore, but I will survive.” Twilight replied.

“Good last thing I need is telling my dad a stupid princess perished on my watch because of an over-sized pig,” Gilda snorted, shaking her head as Twilight gave a small smile.

______________________________________________________________________________

“Sister, I think you are overreacting. I am certain that Twilight is fine!” Luna snorted, idly stroking her possum, Tiberius. Celestia gave her sister a sharp look, stomped her hoof on the ground, causing Luna to lazily look up from her cushion. “Twilight is a full-grown mare, an alicorn no less. She is hardly incompetent! We would know if she came to any harm,” Luna finished, her ear flicking in annoyance at Celestia’s grumbling.

“Luna, I practically raised Twilight from a filly. Her first week in Ponyville, she sent multiple letters a day telling me about her friends, her adventures, and how much she missed me. I have heard nothing from her in two weeks!” Celestia snapped, pacing agitatedly back and forth.

“If you are worried so much, go visit her!” Luna suggested, nibbling on a chocolate pastry. She stopped to give a small piece to Tiberius, who eagerly dove into the treat. Celestia huffed and left her bedroom, allowing Luna to resume reading the light novel she had selected.

Storming down the corridor, Celestia reflected on her sisters off-hoof comment about visiting Twilight. The mare did not want to seem desperate, but she was still genuinely worried. Yes she had told Twilight that she did not need to send a message every week from Ponyville. But that was only because it was within her domain and she could easily protect her student.

But in the frozen lands of Griffonia Twilight only protection was her wit and knowledge. Yes she was knowledgeable but she had not experienced the barbaric customs the Gryphons practised. Some far worse than merely chasing down and murdering an innocent animal. Celestia resolved to investigate if Twilight did not send a letter in the next few days. She could only hope her student no her fellow princess had just forgotten and was not hurt... or worse!

Celestia knew that the gryphon king Iron Beak was a honorable soul and a friend of hers. But all the same that did not mean she trusted the other gryphons with Twilight. She knew all too well how quick a gryphon could be swayed by the promise of gold.

______________________________________________________________________________

Twilight could honestly say that there were many places she would rather be than here, sitting miserably in a hospital bed. Despite the lush carpets, expensive curtains, top quality beds, and some of the best medical staff in Griffonia, Twilight found herself bored. Her wing had several hairline fractures and one main break at the base. Her hoof, while not as swollen as before, was still painful too support weight. The gryphons had quickly placed her wing in a cast and tended to her hoof, but the rest of the recovery was slow, boring waiting. After being stuck in bed for the last two days, the mare was looking forward to her discharge later tonight.

King Iron Beak had expressed his deepest apologies to Twilight, delaying the celebratory feast until Twilight was released. Twilight had quickly waved the concerned king away assuring him that she held no ill will towards the gryphons. She had known the risks when she agreed to the hunt, and it was completely her fault that she had been hurt. Had she not been so reckless and had more time to think of a strategy this whole thing could have been avoided.

A gentle thud from the window broke Twilight from her musings as Gilda landed softly on the floor. Gingerly approaching the hospital bed, Gilda gave Twilight a small nod. With a small grunt, she sat down in a chair beside Twilight as they awkwardly stared at each other.

“So, uh, I thought I would let you know that the boar we took down is being served tonight, and I heard from my dad that it is a meal to die for! Uh... almost literally in your case,” Gilda chuckled awkwardly. “Anyway, uh, I just thought I’d tell you that you were pretty cool out there. You know, for a bookworm,” she finished, looking down at the ground. Twisting her neck behind her the Gryphon pulled a small tray off her back.

The mare gave a moan of content at the crispy texture and salty flavor. ‘Was there any problem that bacon could not solve,’ Twilight mused? Shaking her head the alicorn decided that the answer was obviously no.

Rolling her eyes at the piggish Alicorn, Gilda snatched a bit from the mare. A muffled cry of protest sounded from Twilight as she glowered at the Gryphon.

“Don’t give me that look, you can afford to miss out on a few pieces of bacon your royal roundness.” Gilda joked, Twilight giving an indignant huff as she protectively held the bacon closer to her chest.

“I am not round.” Twilight muttered, scowling as she nibbled on a piece of bacon. Snorting at the sulking Alicorn's childish antics.

Gilda paused realising that other than give the princess bacon, she had not thought of anything else, not even a conversation starter. Awkwardly scratched the back of her neck, Gilda looked around the room for something to comment on. Hoping to alleviate some of the awkwardness.

Gryphons were not exactly the most talkative of creatures, and rarely made idle chit chat, unless the topic of gold or hunting was involved. Her father was actually one of the less up tight gryphons in the kingdom though that was mostly down to Princess Celestia’s influence having even baby sat for her father when he had been a fledgling. Unsure of what to say Gilda instead idly inspected her claws, she prayed the stupid pony would say something.

“Thank you.” Twilight spoke up, giving a genuine smile as Gilda recoiled slightly.

“Uhm you're welcome,” the Gryphon replied. She had forgotten that ponies were sickly polite and courteous. It had not been so bad with Dash given the brash pegasus was renowned for being headstrong and rude.

“I... have to go. need to make sure those clowns preparing the feast don’t screw it up and all that.” Gilda lied, retreating as Twilight gave a small nod. With a frown Twilight watched the retreating gryphon sad that she had not wanted to stay for a bit longer.

Twilight hoped Spike would pop in later to visit. Getting comfortable Twilight felt her eyes grow heavy. Maybe a small nap before dinner would not be such a bad idea.

Comments ( 84 )

Oooh, it's back. I wasn't really expecting to see this pop up again anymore.

‘Was there any problem that bacon could not solve,’ Twilight mused?

No, there isn't. Except maybe for what topping to put on your ice cream.

6502073 dont be silly sir there is but only one topping for icecream... more bacon

6502082
Bacon and strawberry are two great flavours that do not taste great together. Trust me on that.

Glad to see this back. :)

6502107 Bacon and chocolate is nice

Yes, its back!
Still have plans on Twilight and spike growing larger thanks to the meat in their diet?

6502114 Yes. it should be in the next couple chapters in the year 2018 at the rate I am updating :facehoof:

huh, did not expect this would be continued, a year latter :pinkiehappy: Thanks for the chapter!

6502073 Bacon Sprinkles. Obviously.

6502113
Chocolate without bacon is nicer. Does go well with chili flakes, though.

Woo Hoo! Glad to see this story back, I missed you!:pinkiesad2::rainbowderp::facehoof:
Love the new chapter, Gilda and Twilight play well off each other.

Good to see you again working on this story! :twilightsmile: its delicious :twilightsmile:

Glad to have you back, but I would also like to say that I would prefer it if you spent more time on polishing the story before throwing us a bone, so to speak.

Wohoo! Welcome back, boss! We've missed you!

Still dancing around the elephant in the room: Twilight hasn't encountered the griffons killing something that can beg for its life, which considering how many species are sapient in Equestria's world is a given thing.

Also, how is she going to explain this to Fluttershy... :fluttershbad:

Honestly, her reactions and thoughts throughout the entire story have been seriously disappointingly limited in scope. She feels puppeted into position by the drive of the writer's opinion of the subject rather than by her own independently thoughtful introspection.

Of course bacon.

Me thinks that Gilda is falling for Twilight.

6502402 I am sure I could go back and edit in a part about deer having sub species, though I would prefer not to mess with the original authors work. In generation 2 MLP there was a pig queen who was a villain. we see in generation 4 pigs being nothing more than farm animals. So it is not out the question to have intelligent deer and non intelligent deer.

6502402 This story was started by a different author and a few years ago, it was one of the first fanfictions I had favorited.
Imagine my surprise when I saw it featured.

6502421 Hundred percent honest it is a more what if scenario than due to her biology. Alicorns do not eat meat. Hell not even Nightmare Moon ate meat. Her having been human and having tasted meat it would not be out the question that she grew a fondness for it.

This update made my day.
Thank you for both taking up this wonderfully fun little story and for putting in the time to contribute to it.

FWIW I think getting an alicorn upgrade deserves at least bacon.

"Snorting at the sulking Alicorns."
I've been noticing a lot of little errors (too many for me to easily post here; very sorry), but this seems enough above the baseline to warrant mentioning. What exactly is it doing where it is? I'm not sure how it connects to the text before or after it, or what it means. Was it meant to be quite differently worded?

Also, nice to see this back. :)

Well, as happy as I am to see this continued, I feel the quality has dropped significantly. Your flow is spotty, easially jumping scenes which could be easially connected. as well as doing more telling instead of showing. Telling the reader somthing they could have inferred from a smoother scene with more charecter development is a great way to make a story feel too fast paced and push them out of the story.

I really hope these things can be improved.

6502799 Sorry about that for some reason when I copied the google docs link into fimficition it did not upload all of the story and a few sentences were left out/ words missing. Thank you for pointing that out I have added the remaining small part to the story.

6502073
You sir, have obviously never had candied bacon. Or bacon ice cream. Or candied bacon on bacon ice cream.

I assure you, it is quite delicious having made such myself.

6503470
I've had some very nice roasts with lingonberry sauce, so I'll admit you've got something of a point there. "Bacon ice cream" is still an abomination before the Outer Gods, though.

6503479
Heresy! I have personally used this custard ice-cream based recipe (except I had access to liquid nitrogen at the time instead of an ice cream maker because liquid nitrogen makes f:yay:ing awesome ice creams!) and I can assure you that the results are spectacular, and not just because it also includes whisky and/or rum.

6503511
Liquid nitrogen makes the awesomest everything, but there is still nothing you can do to bacon with custard that you can't do better with runny eggs and grits.

RC

Guess whos back, back again, storys back, tell yo friends.

6503205 Give me a hell, give me a yeah!!! :rainbowdetermined2:
The story is back!:pinkiehappy::yay:

It should read "still TOO painful to support weight"

It should read "Other than give the princess bacon COMMA"

Overall a nice little overdue chapter. I hope there will be some more soon!

We what foul sorcery has occur here for an update?
Can we expect more frequent updates?

Great to see this back. I hope the reason Celestia and other ponies figure out Twilight is eating meat now is because of how fat she gets, that's hilarious.

6504143 Thank you I will correct them as soon as.

6503205
No problem; glad I was able to help.

I saw this in my updates, and was like... Da heck is this story...?
The change in cover art is what got me. Nice to see a new chapter.

shit, are we gonna see a gilda x twilight thing here? not that it would be a bad thing, just different. don't normally read gilda x twilight.

yay^^
Finally a new chapter. Thank you so much :)

6502296 Well you do remember that Fluttershy was the first pony Twilight asked about meat, right? And the fact that Rarity's father fishes and there is a job as a meat merchant, I'd say most of Ponyville is fine with it.

6508856 So, the ponies would be ok with the killing and eating of talking cows and sheep?

I find that exceedingly unlikely.

Also, there was a meat market in the show? Which episode was that?

6508868 Given Fluttershy fed her pet ferets fish in the iron will episode and that this story and given we have seen Magnum with a fishing rod in the past means that ponies do fish. Maybe not to eat but all the same Fluttershy had to have bought the fish from somewhere unless he caught them herself which is unlikely given she freaked out over a bug being slapped in maneiac episode

6508868 It was said in chapter 1/2 that Twilight would disguise herself as a griffon in order get meat from a vender that would show up ever 3 or so days.

6509016 Though Flutters has 'sung' with fish, we've not seen that they 'talk'.

I'm simply noting that Twi hasn't asked the single biggest, most obvious of all questions: "Do you guys eat talking creatures?"

There are cows, sheep, buffalo, zebra, (in the comics) deer, and yaks which are sapient herbivores. That's a potentially HUGE problem area in this scenario that the characters are avoiding so completely it's as if it has never even entered into their minds, even though anyone reasonable in that situation would have to think of it in very short order.

6510351 Well if all the answers are reveled at the start then it might as well be a one shot. Story progression mate.

6511442 You have to consider the way a character thinks if the reader is to accept them as a 'real' person.

The ponies are very familiar with these other talking species. Asking themselves if the griffons might eat any of them is a very natural progression of thought, one which would occur quite soon.

DF

Happy to see an update, just wish it had been longer. Oh well.

Login or register to comment