• Published 26th Jan 2014
  • 686 Views, 10 Comments

The Rising of the Brothers of Light and Dark - Dark Dienen



When two brothers are made kings they have to make a choise to destory one that they loved or let them destroy what they have made

  • ...
4
 10
 686

chapter 5


The commanders rushed from the tent eager to see their comrade. They could hear the cheering of the troops and the clanking of armor from ahead of them. Rather than try to push their way through the crowds, Rune gave Twister a knowing look. Giving a nod, Twister inhaled deeply. “ATTENTION!

Immediately the troops quieted and stood in a rigid stance. “These troops have been to the Crystal Kingdom and back,” she said fluttering in front of them, “Give ‘em a chance to rest. There’ll be time for celebrations later. Now,DISMISSED!

The troops broke ranks and found better things to do elsewhere. Once alone with the crystal ponies, Twister smiled. “Sometimes, it’s fun pulling rank.”

Rune approached the weary troops, hearing sounds of heavy breathing and seeing the scuffed and dirty armor. An earth pony mare separated herself from the group and gave a crisp salute. “Lieutenant Glaive, Twenty-Third Battalion, sir.”

“At ease,” Rune responded, returning the salute, “Are these the reinforcements?”

“Yes, sir,” she replied, “but there’s something you should know. Something I can’t say here.”

Rune nodded. “Have your troops fall out. Looks like they’ve been to Tartarus and back. In the meantime, would you come with me?”

“Yes, sir,” she turned to the troops, “Junior Lieutenant, have the troops fall out, get some food, and hit the sack.”

“Yes, ma’am,” one of the troops replied, issuing the orders as the troops broke rank.

The trio of commanders and the crystal mare walked in silence save for the occasional creak or groan of the armor she wore. When they entered the tent, the group turned to face the new mare. “Would you like a seat, Glaive?” Rune asked, offering a cushion to the mare.

“N-no, thank you, sir,” she said.

“Well, make yourself comfortable anyway,” Rune suggested. Lieutenant Glaive removed her helmet, revealing a mane full of black hair. Now that they were in better light, Rune got a good look at her. She looked like a soldier should: well built with a healthy amount of muscles. From what he could see of her head and legs, she had several scars along her coat. Not as many as Twister, but enough to be noticeable. Before she raised her head, she brushed her mane to her right side of her face. Raising her head, she revealed a single light purple eye with the other covered by her mane.

“Now quit leaving us in suspense, kid,” Twister said, “What’s this news you couldn’t tell us?”

Glaive sighed heavily. “There’s no easy way to say this, so I’ll just say it: Commander Clear Skies is dead.”

The tent seemed to lose all sound as the news hit the air. Everypony was too stunned by the news to speak, save for the mare who delivered it and she had nothing else to say. Rune thought it was just as well, this seemed the situation where a moment of silence was in order.

“How did it happen?” Arcane asked after several moments.

“Well, a day out of the Cold Stairs, we came across an ambush of horses. They were there, ready and waiting for us. We managed to eradicate their forces, but we lost a good fraction of our forces doing it and most of our commanding officers.”

“So who’s in charge?” Twister asked.

“I am, until somepony says otherwise,” Glaive replied, clearly uncomfortable with the idea, “Also, most of the casualties were the offensive unicorns. The ones that made it are from the medical division and the only spells they are comfortable with are shielding and healing spells. The bright side is we managed to hold most of our supplies and equipment and our archery squadrons were relatively untouched .”

“Thank you for informing us, Lieutenant,” Rune said emotionlessly, “You better get some food and rest. You look like you need it. We’ll inform you later of any further developments.”

Glaive responded with a nod and a salute, leaving the tent carrying her helmet in her foreleg.

“Hey, Rune,” Twister said, “you alright? You don’t look so good.”

“I need to take a walk,” Rune said, leaving the tent and heading into the cool night air.

The sounds of the camp filled his ears: the raucous cacophony of the troops, the crackling of the campfires, the various sounds of metal being handled, and the silence of the stars. Along with his ears, his nostrils were flooded with a conglomeration of aromas, ranging from the smell of wood smoke to the unmistakable fragrance of blades being drawn against whetstones. All in all, it was a peaceful and beautiful night, one that was lost on Rune as he hung his head with a sigh.

He walked through the camp at a steady pace, not drawing any unnecessary attention to himself. However as he passed by the various tents, several soldiers praised him as he trod by; some offering food, some offering drink, and some offering the simplicity of song and conversation. However, he was interested in none of it. As appreciative as it was, his praise was undeserved.

He made his way away from the campsite, staring out into the darkness to where the fortress laid. It stood there, as unimposing as a tortoise, yet more dangerous than a rogue storm. He knew he would have to go back in there soon and bring Nightshade down. He was not afraid for himself, but he would be leading over four thousand ponies in with him. Their lives, their futures, and the future of his kingdom would hang on his decisions. And what was worse, the futures of his friends and their kingdoms would be hanging in the balance as well. Just as Clear Skies was, he thought glumly.

“Quite a night,” Arcane observed, sitting next to Rune. Rune made no effort to reply, leaving Arcane and he in silence as the din of the camp barely drifted past them. After a moment, Arcane spoke, “What happened to Clear Skies wasn’t your fault.”

“Wasn’t it?!” Rune asked angrily, “I knew what Nightshade was capable of! I knew it the second I learned he kidnapped the prince!”

“As did Clear Skies,” Arcane replied calmly, “Blaming yourself won’t help her or us.”

“I can’t help anyway,” Rune said helplessly, “Every battle I ever fought in, I was only able to succeed by outsmarting my opponent and using the numbers to my advantage. How can I fight someone who is my equal in that respect?”

Arcane was contemplatively silent for several moments. “Perhaps by following Twister’s example and doing the unexpected.”

Rune snorted silently. “Never thought I’d hear that from you.”

“Nor did you,” Arcane replied, giving Rune a stern look that said everything.

“Don’t worry,” Rune answered, “I doubt she’d believe it about you anyway.”

Arcane nodded and was silent again, prompting Rune to speak again.

“Arcane, do you think we can trust them?” Rune asked with a sigh.

“You mean the ‘mysterious ones?’” he asked, receiving a nod of agreement. “I am uncertain. The time may come where we might need their assistance, but I have not become an Archmage by being uncautious. If it comes down to us actually needing them, it would be best if we were in a situation where we have nothing left to lose.”

“That’s why you will be the one to send out the flare should the need arise,” Rune replied, “and also why we shall keep this to ourselves. Even from the kings.”

Arcane nodded his agreement, looking out into the darkness.

“Of course,” Rune supplied glumly, “that still leaves us to arise with a plan of attack.”

Arcane was characteristically silent as he stared out into the darkness. “Don’t you think it’s strange that Nightshade decided to leave the siege towers standing?” he asked.

“Not really,” Rune replied, “he probably doesn’t feel a need to put them to the flame.”

“Why do you believe that?” Rune asked.

“Well, if I had to guess…” Rune froze as he was about to answer that, a realization coming to him. “...It’s because he wants us to use them.”

Arcane smirked. “And why is that?”

“It doesn’t matter. The point is if he wants us to use them, we won’t!” Rune smiled smugly. “Not the way he expects us to anyway.”

“You have a plan?” Arcane asked knowingly.

“Depends. How much magical prowess do your unicorns have?”


Rune and Arcane entered the command tent to find Twister pacing to and fro as though in deep thought. “Where the hay have you two been?”

“Someplace,” Rune answered smiling, “but first we want to know what you think about not telling the kings about the message from the mysterious ones?”

“Fine by me,” Twister stated with an uncaring shrug, “I’m all for insubordination. Now what has you all giddy?”

Rune told her his idea, seeing her grin from ear to ear. “Rune, you are one crazy pony! I’m impressed! But what about Lieutenant Glaive?”

“What was your assessment of her?” Rune asked simply.

“I’d do her,” she said immediately and casually, causing Rune to look at her wide-eyed as though he were seeing her for the first time. She broke down laughing two seconds later, rolling on the ground clutching her sides. “Sorry,” she gasped between breaths, “I couldn’t help myself. She seems alright. A little green maybe, but she’ll do.”

Rune nodded. “And you Arcane?”

“Obviously new to command,” Arcane replied, “she might have potential, but not in the immediate future.”

“That’s about what I figured. We’ll ask her about giving us temporary command during the battle. In any case, where does this new plan leave us?

“I believe the phrase is between a rock and a hard place,” Arcane answered.

“I've had worse," Twister said confidently, almost to the point of smugness.

“As have I,” Arcane replied, more as a statement of fact.

“So, when do we attack general?” Twister asked, giving a half mocking salute.

“We will call Glaive in here to discuss the details before first light,” Rune replied, looking over the map he had lying on the table, “If all goes well, we attack at dawn.”