• Published 14th Feb 2016
  • 3,033 Views, 326 Comments

Lovey Dovey and the Uncertain Stallion - Crystal Wishes



Lovey Dovey knows that she's destined to be with Magnate. But is he so certain?

  • ...
16
 326
 3,033

Getting to Know What to Say

"There is a flower within my heart," Lovey sang as her hooves worked the typewriter in front of her, "Magny, Magny! Planted one day by a glancing dart, planted by Magny Bell!"

The bright pink office around her was all aglow with her high spirits. Under the current of her singing was the click-ticka-click of the two typewriter keys pushed and pressed in the different directions to lay out her thoughts on paper.

Dear Lost My Heart in Las Pegasus,

Sometimes, parents don't always approve of our partners. It's been their job our whole life to take care of us, then we hit the age where we don't need them anymore but they still want to protect us! Don't hate them for being against your new coltfriend. If your heart says he's the one, then that's all you need to know. Your parents just need time. They'll come around eventually.

Love from Lovey!

Lovey grabbed the finished paper, set it on top of a stack of others, and slid them all onto her back to carry out of her office. "Paper Pusher!"

The stallion with lanky legs and a never-failing smile trotted around the corner. "Yes, Miss Lovey?"

"Can you get these to Kahuna as soon as possible?" One wing lowered to grant him access to the papers. "I have dinner with Mom and Dad and Dad and Mom and Magny tonight, so I want to get to the store ay-sap!"

Paper Pusher nodded, sliding the stack into his satchel. "Right away! Have a good dinner, Miss Lovey!"

After locking up her office, Lovey made her way through the large room of cubicles and ponies at work. The light, neutral tones made the love lines surrounding her stand out all the more, but she just smiled and kept walking. Breathe in, breathe out, eyes ahead, heart calm.

"Heading home?" Blue Hearts asked, leaning out of her cubicle to look at Lovey with a smile.

"Yup!" Lovey's ears wiggled. "Family dinner date night!"

Blue Hearts gave a soft giggle behind one hoof, then glanced around before waving Lovey closer and whispering, "Hey, before you go—?"

Lovey relaxed into a light smile. "Let me take a look." She closed her eyes and focused on the sound of her heart beating. It had been at a nice, even pace, but now that she could feel the love lines floating around her, it sped up. When she opened her eyes, she saw the red line drifting from Blue Hearts's chest and out into Equestria.

"How is it?" Blue Hearts fidgeted in her seat. "Is it still okay?"

"It looks strong to me, so don't give up just yet!" Lovey giggled and fluttered her wings. With her heart pounding in her ears and sweat beading along the back of her neck, she trotted in place before sprinting toward the door. "Okay, I really have to go! Toodles!"

Instead of taking the elevator, she took the stairs—or, rather, she flew down them. Her wings just barely grazed the hoofrails as she soared down the spiral staircase, her descent taking her faster and faster until she reached the lobby. The doors had one chance to open, otherwise she was going to either break through them or break her neck trying.

Thankfully, somepony saw her coming and reacted just fast enough to throw open a door. She tucked her wings in close to her sides to avoid clipping them, then flared them back out and angled herself upwards to dart into the sky.

Once she was far above the city, she landed on a cloud and buried her face in it. Her heart was racing so hard she couldn't hear the wind whipping past her from being so high up, but she could feel it through her coat and feathers. The cold breeze chilled the heat that radiated from her very core.

"Breathe in, breathe out," she muttered under her shaky breath. "Breathe in, breathe—"

She exhaled and lifted her head to look over the edge of the cloud. Red and pink lines of all different hues stretched across Manehattan like a spider's web. Her heart wanted to follow them, but that wasn't her life anymore. Ponies had unknowingly followed their love lines before she existed, and they'd continue to do so without her direct help.

The lines ebbed and flowed, twisted and snaked, faded and brightened. Ant-sized ponies made their way through the city, unaware of the forces of love all around them. Love for special someponies, love for friends, love for family. Love was in the air ponies breathed and they didn't even know it.

It was hard, but she let it go. She smiled as she saw more of the ponies going about their day than the love lines, and her heart started to calm. They lived simple lives, and so could she.

"All right, wings," she muttered as she rose to her hooves, "let's get moving."

Lovey took a leisurely glide down into the heart of Manehattan, two blocks away from the apartment complex she lived in with Magnate, and landed right outside the local grocery. A bell chimed as she pushed the door open to trot inside and chirped, "Hello!"

The cashier grunted in reply. So many ponies in Manehattan lived in such a gloomy state. Lovey wished she could help them all, but the best she could do was show them a better way.

Slipping a basket onto her back and humming as she headed to the fresh produce, Lovey caught sight of a familiar crystalline coat the color of ebony. "Derri?"

"Hello, Lovey," Derelict replied without turning around.

Lovey gasped. "How did you know it was me?!"

Derri's ear flicked. "Who is the only pony who calls me 'Derri'?" She turned around with the faintest of smiles on her muzzle. "How are you?"

"I'm super, thanks for asking!" Lovey giggled. Her wings fluttered, the sudden motion causing the basket on her back to rattle slightly. "How about you?"

Derri sighed and turned back to the selection of oranges and mangoes. "I have no complaints. While I have a new roommate to replace you, you are hardly replaced. She is a receptionist with no anxiety and no unique oddities, ordinary foalhood, and a standard coltfriend with whom she is visiting."

Lovey reached out to pat her on the shoulder. "Aww, I'm sorry she's normal! Maybe next time?"

"I believe I have had the standards set too high after having you as my first roommate." Derri levitated an orange, turned it around a few times, then lowered it into her basket.

"Wait." Lovey's ears perked up. "Your roommate is visiting her coltfriend? Does that mean you're all alone?"

Derri stepped to the side to look at the apples. "That would be the correct assumption."

Lovey gasped. "Oh, no! No, no, no! That simply won't do! You can't be alone, not on family dinner date night!" She grabbed Derri's hoof. "You have to come over to our place, okay? Absolutely have to!"

"Family date night?" A familiar spark of curiosity lit up Derri's eyes. "Is that to mean your parents will be there?"

"Well, of course!" Lovey giggled. "Who else?"

Derri gave an idle bob of her head. "I see." It was good to know her vision was still intact. "If it is not intruding, I would not decline."

Lovey's wings fluttered and the basket rattled again. "I wouldn't offer if it was intruding, silly!"

"Then I accept." Derri dropped two apples into her basket. "I shall come by after I finish shopping and put the groceries away. Thank you for the invite."

As Derri turned to walk away, Lovey called after her, "And don't worry! My parents are totally not normal!" She giggled at the sound of Derri chuckling after nearly stumbling over her own hooves.

Lovey missed mornings with her. They had some good times together after she and Magnate worked things out and before she moved out. But, it was okay! If Derri came to their family dinner date nights, then she'd become part of their family. And her normal roommate could come with her normal coltfriend, too! Their family would get bigger and bigger, until all of Equestria was her family.

Okay, so maybe that was a little much, but it was fun to dream. She liked dreaming. It was a good substitute for chasing love lines.

"Is that all?" the cashier asked, pulling her out of her thoughts.

"Huh? Oh!" Lovey blinked and looked down at the counter. She had grabbed the eggplants and the parmesan and everything else her parents had asked her to get, but there was also a bunch of other stuff, too. Strawberries, cupcakes, cookies, and a tub of ice cream?

Now that she thought about it, they didn't have any sweets at the apartment. Her subconscious was just trying to look out for her! Lovey smiled self-satisfactorily and gave herself a mental congratulations, then nodded at the cashier.

"Yup! That's all!" Lovey giggled, dropping bits onto the counter and tucking the bag under one wing. "Thanks so much!"

There was a happy song in Lovey's heart as she trotted out into the streets to begin the journey home, where her parents would be waiting. It went something a little like—

"Whether he loves me," Lovey sang aloud almost unbidden, "or loves me not; sometimes it's hard to tell. Yet I am longing to share the lot of beautiful Magny Bell!"

And just like that, she was home and the lock on the door undid itself just for her. The sounds of her parents greeting her all at once washed over her in a wave of warmth and love.

"Welcome home!" four voices shouted in unison, two from the couch and two from the kitchen.

Lovey nearly choked on her over-excited giggles as she bounded inside, nearly dropping the bag of groceries. "Hi! Hello! Hiyo! Hiya!" She hugged her mother, father, father, and mother, then smiled as they all embraced her at once. Love was warm. So warm.

"I got everything, and a little bit more!" Lovey slipped out of their collective embrace and trotted into the kitchen. "I don't know how it happened, but it happened. All of a sudden I was buying some sweets. Mom, you like sweets, right?"

"Of course," Suns answered.

Setting everything out on the counter, Lovey waggled her hooves at the array of sweets and dinner ingredients. "Ta-da!"

Suns and Dia came over to stand at her sides, separating the produce to begin work on dinner and shooing Lovey to the living room. They were such a great team, one prepping the vegetables while the other got the broth boiling. Lovey watched them a moment longer before she turned to her fathers.

"How was the cloudball tournament?" she asked, settling onto the couch between them.

Squall ruffled her mane. "You know your dear old dad will never lose to your dear old dad, not while the sun still rises in the east and sets in the west."

"Hey," Arc exclaimed with feigned offense, "don't forget that one day where the sun rose and set all over the horizon!"

Squall rolled his eyes. "That was chaos. Chaos doesn't count."

Lovey giggled and sat up to nuzzle her cheek to Arc's, then Squall's. "Aww, you're both my favorite cloudball players! Maybe someday Magny and I can come up to Cloudsdale to watch you both play!"

Squall flexed his wings and leaned back into the couch. "Good luck getting that stick in the mud to do anything."

Reaching behind Lovey, Arc slapped the back of Squall's head. "Hey! He's doing good. Get off his back already."

"Aww, both of you!" Lovey raised her hooves and gave them pouting scowls. "Magny is working really hard at his travel agency. He's really happy, and I want him to come home today and feel happy."

"We care more about your happiness," Squall muttered. "Are you happy, sweetheart?"

Lovey lowered her hooves just a bit, then reached out and booped Squall's nose. "Of course, Dad. I've never been happier."

A knock on the door turned all attention to it, and Lovey gasped. "Oh my gosh! I almost forgot!" She jumped off the couch and ran over. "Derri, hi there!"

Derri blinked slowly. "Did I hear that right? You almost forgot?"

"You should really use your inside voice," Dia chided in a playful tone, then smiled at Derri and waved. "Hi! You're Lovey's old roommate, right?"

"Yes." Derri levitated a bottle of something bubbly into the air. "I brought a gift to thank you for inviting me, but I am uncertain now if it is deserved."

Lovey gasped and grabbed the bottle with both hooves. "It's definitely, totally deserved!" She paused, then looked down at the label. "What is it?"

"What does it say it is?" Derri raised one brow.

"It's champagne," Dia said, taking the bottle from Lovey. "I'm not sure if you're old enough to even hold this."

"What! I'm totally old enough!" Lovey spun around and flared out her wings to look bigger than she was. "I've had alcohol before, I'll have you know!"

While Dia froze in mid-step, the sound of Derri taking notes like always filled Lovey's ears.

"Did Magnate get you drunk?" Squall asked, a certain malice rising into his voice.

Lovey looked around to find all eyes on her—Derri's held curious interest while her parents looked ready to kill. Her mouth flapped open a few times before she bounded forward and jumped onto the couch to nestle between her fathers. "Oh, don't be silly! I got me drunk. I was curious!"

With just a hint of disappointment, Derri set her notepad on the coffee table and took a newspaper to the recliner. Squall and Arc stared Lovey down with the combined force of disapproval and slight curiosity.

"So," Arc started, crossing his forelegs over his chest.

Squall did the same and continued, "What did you have to drink?"

"What?" Arc's wings twitched as he broke into laughter. "That's not what matters right now!"

"It matters to me." Squall waved a dismissive hoof, smiling down at Lovey. "So? What was it?"

Lovey giggled and twiddled her hooves. "It was something with strawberries in it. It was so tasty! I loved it! If champagne tastes anything like strawberries, then I'm gonna love it!"

Suns leaned out of the kitchen, her mane tied up into a tight bun to stay out of her way while she cooked. "Speaking of, how are your love attacks? Are they getting any better?"

"Yeah!" Lovey nodded. "As long as I don't focus on them, I don't even notice them." Her gaze followed the two bright red lines that tied her parents together with their respective partners. It comforted her to see them, but she quickly shook her head to pull herself back to the moment. "Maybe someday I won't see them at all!"

Arc's brow furrowed and he took Lovey's hoof in both of his forehooves. "Is it right to ignore your cutie mark?"

"I'm not, though! Not this time. Not like I was. I'm totally still doing what my cutie mark tells me to do! I help ponies every day with their love lines, even if I can't see them." Lovey put her free hoof on top of his and gave it a light pat. "I'm super duper happy every day I go to work and come home to Magny. Promise to love and back!"

"To love and back," Arc repeated, leaning in to place a kiss on her forehead.

"That's all we care about." Squall chuckled and closed his eyes. "That, and reigning as the family's cloudball champion."

"Oh, you are not turning this conversation about you!" Arc sat up to look over Lovey's head at him. "Seriously?"

Squall snorted. "I just want Lovey to know that her dad took a header right into a cumulus cloud."

Just as Arc opened his mouth to snap back, the lock clicked and the knob turned. Lovey's heart skipped at least three beats, maybe even four! She watched with anticipation as the door started to open as if in slow motion.

"Welcome home!" Suns called from the kitchen when Magnate stepped inside. "You're just in time!"

Magnate's gaze wandered the room before locking onto Lovey's, sending her heart into a flurry of excitement. Joy filled ever fiber of her being as she jumped into the air and sailed toward him.

Her forelegs wrapped around his neck in a tight hug and her heart settled into a normal state of excitement. "Magny! We were just talking about you!" She lowered to the floor, but remained intimately close. "How was work? Did you have a good meeting with the hot air balloon pony? What was the best part of your day?"

"Slow down." Magnate chuckled as he put his suitcase away. "I'm not even two hooves through the door."

Embarrassment shot through Lovey's chest and she hurriedly took a step back. "Right, right! Four hooves rule. Sorry." She waited patiently until he walked all the way into the apartment, and then hugged him with less overexcitement than before. "Welcome home!"

"What is the 'four hooves rule'?" Derri asked from the recliner, the sound of the newspaper crinkling as it was folded over.

Magnate blinked, glancing between Lovey and Derri. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh! Oh!" Lovey threw her forehooves into the air. "I know the answer to both of those!" She sat down and cleared her throat before lowering her voice to mimic Magnate's. "The four hooves rule is that Lovey shouldn't overwhelm Magnate when he gets home until he has all four hooves into the apartment." She tried not to giggle as she looked up at him. "And Derri is here because we're having a family dinner and she's family!"

"Actually," Derri said, "it's because we ran into one another at the supermarket. She invited me to dinner because I mentioned my roommate was out of town."

Lovey stuck out her lower lip and felt the onset of tears blur her vision. "It's the least we can do, Magny! Me moving out left her with no roommate, and this new one has gone out of town! She's all alone because of you!"

Magnate frowned lightly while a hoof rubbed his chest. Did he have heartburn? Had he eaten already? Didn't he know that it was family dinner date night? "How is it my fault? I gave you the choice of moving in, and you took it."

"By technicality, that would make it your fault, Lovey," Derri said in that voice she sometimes used when she was totally right and Lovey didn't want to admit it.

"Now, now, kids," Dia interrupted as she trotted over. "Let's not fight during family dinner night."

Magnate sighed, but his expression was anything but exasperated. He smiled and there was happiness in his eyes. Lovey loved it when that happened.

"I'm sorry, Diamond," he said as he hugged Dia. "It's nice to see you."

"Will somepony get the table ready?" Suns called. "Soup's almost done!"

"Okay, Mom!" Lovey chirped, fluttering her wings and taking to the air.

The song bubbled up from her chest while she rummaged through the cabinets and drawers to collect dinnerware for the table.

"Magny, Magny," the voice in her heart sang, "give me your answer true! I'm half crazy, all for the love of you!"

"Lovey?" Suns asked, looking up from the stove.

Lovey came to a sudden halt in the air and tilted her head. "Yes, Mom?"

"That song you're humming." Suns tapped the ladle to the side of the pot. "You used to sing it a lot as a filly, but I can't remember the words. Do you remember, Didi?"

Dia peeked into the stove to check on the garlic bread, then shook her head. "Nope! It sounds familiar, though."

Lovey paused, her wings flapping just enough to keep her aloft. Her gaze travelled over to where Magnate was in some kind of serious conversation with her fathers. Warmth spread all the way from her hooves to the tips of her ears and she giggled to release some of the bubbling energy that filled her chest.

Was it possible that her heart had been searching for him all along?

Chasing away the thought to focus on the present, she flew over to the table and started to set out the plates and utensils.

"Here, let me help," Derri said as she walked up and grabbed the silverware in her magic. "I saw your column in that magazine. I'm glad that you have found a new outlet for your talent."

Lovey giggled and nodded. "It's way more fun than being a weatherpony, that's for sure! I know Dad loves it but I understand why Dad doesn't."

Derri's head turned to look at both stallions sitting on the couch. "Yes, about that. You have four parents. I find that interesting."

"I told you they weren't normal!" She bumped her shoulder to Derri's, then turned to the rest of the room. "Mom! Dad! Dad! Mom!" She clapped her hooves to get their attention. "You four sit here, here, here, and here! Magny and I will sit here and here, and Derri can sit here!"

Magnate flicked an ear as he walked over, glancing between all of her parents. "Wouldn't it be easier to differentiate them?"

Lovey tilted her head to one side after following his gaze. "Huh? What do you mean?"

"Mom, Mom, Dad, Dad. Isn't it confusing?" He waved a hoof to gesture in a circle. "It would be more clear if you called them, I don't know—Mom One and Mom Two?"

What? What! Lovey gasped, feeling as if she had been struck. She wrapped one leg around Dia's neck and dragged her over to Suns so she could embrace them both at the same time in an attempt to hug her feelings through to them. "No way! They're both Mom One to me!"

Magnate raised one brow and asked the most dreaded question of all. "Then how do you know who she's speaking to?"

One hoof covered her left ear, and another covered her right. Ah, they were going to say what she already knew: that neither of them knew the difference between Mom and Mom. She giggled, her wings giving an amused flutter. But that was the point! There was no difference. Sun Shower or Diamond Dust—both were her mother. Both were Mom. Whatever she needed, both fulfilled.

All of a sudden, Magnate burst into laughter. It was so startling to see, and even more startling to hear when Suns and Dia withdrew their hooves. Lovey tilted her head and smiled. Magnate needed to laugh more. He looked truly happy, and she loved that most of all.

"What's so funny?" she asked, tilting her head the other way.

"Nothing," Magnate managed between laughs. "I'm just happy."

Lovey matched his laughter with a bout of giggles. She closed the distance between them and nuzzled their noses together. "Oh, that's a great reason to laugh!"

While everypony started to gather at the table—save for Derelict, who was writing in her little notepad like she usually did—Magnate stared at her. His gaze was intense and deep, full of warmth and fondness. It made her cheeks feel hot and her knees go weak, but she didn't want to miss a second of the way he looked at her, so she refused to swoon.

That was when Magnate moved. He raised a hoof to reach into his vest and, stirring her heart into excited fluttering, lowered himself onto bended knee.

"Lovey," he murmured into the sudden silence after a chorus of gasps, "I have something I would like to say."

Lovey's voice came out much smaller than she expected, hardly above a squeaky whisper. "Yes?"

Magnate smiled up at her. "When I met you, I didn't know what to think. I have never met a pony like you. You are warm, bright—you are a star in the empty sky that was my life before you came into it. Love was a word that held no meaning for me. I would have never considered it on my horizon if not for you."

Was he proposing? Lovey almost couldn't breathe. She'd fantasized about being proposed to at least a thousand times: at an expensive dinner, under a moonlit sky, on top of a mountain, out on a boat, and so on and so on until she thought she had dreamed of every scenario.

"Lovey," he continued, "I know I said I wanted to take things slow, but that was before I understood love. I understand it now. Love is having somepony to come home to, which I've grown to look forward to every day since you moved in. Love is having somepony there to share the simple moments with, like watching you smile innocently as your mothers tell me a secret."

She had never imagined being proposed to like this, with her family there to watch. Her Mom and her Dad and her Dad and her Mom were being made a part of the most magical moment she could possibly imagine.

"But most of all, love is wonderful, because—if you say yes—neither of us will ever have to be alone again. I know you have had doubts about us because of love lines. While I know they are so important to you, I can't see them. Unfortunately, I can't believe in what I can't see. I am a stallion of logic and reason, and so I need something tangible to believe in."

His hoof pulled a small black box out of his vest that he held up and opened to reveal a rose gold band adorned with pink gemstones. It was the single most beautiful ring she had ever seen in her life, at least before her vision filled up with tears.

"With this ring, I'll have something to see, and so will you if you'll marry me, Lovey Dovey."

Silence would have reigned supreme if not for the pounding of her heart and the small, choking sob that escaped her. It took just a bit too long to find her voice, but when she did, it brought a smile to both her and Magnate's faces.

"Yes," she whispered through the tears that fell down her cheeks. "Oh, Magny, yes, of course!"

While her parents all broke out into cheers—even Derelict gave a whoop of delight!—Magnate's magic levitated the ring into the air. She pulled her left wing forward and he gingerly slipped it onto one of her longest primary feathers. Although it was light as could be, the weight of a ring was the most wonderful feeling she never thought possible.

Magnate rose to his full height and Lovey sprung forward, throwing her forelegs around his neck and pressing her lips to his in a tearful, joyful kiss. They were granted only a brief moment to themselves before four pairs of legs wrapped around the pair in one giant group hug.

He pulled back just enough to whisper against her lips, "So, what do you think, Miss Matchmaker?"

Lovey smiled while her parents filled the air with excited chatter and whispered back, "It's a perfect match."

Author's Note:

And they lived happily ever after. ^^

Comments ( 40 )

Shrieking! SHRIEKING!

YYEEEEEEESSSSSSS!

Would it be weird to jump into the pony hug pile? It would? But all the shared love! We have love to share too!

...

I'm totally doing it.

*flying Lovey glomp*


I will say that I'm a little disappointed that Lovey never got to meet Cadance. I really, really want to see those two have a conversation about things.

Also, Derri should totally have a love line to her notebook. :rainbowlaugh:

SSSSSQQQQQQUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That's all I can use to describe this moment.

(Happy dance!) I thought this would be how it would end... But, this is sooooo much better than any scenario I could have thought of. :pinkiehappy:
That had to be the most romantic proposal I have ever read.:heart:

7816622

I completely agree with Shachza. I know the story was nothing to do with anyone from the main cast and such, but a love-element attuned pony like Lovey chatting with Cadence would be quite interesting. Especially one who's done so much for Equestria as Lovey has.

Of course the chance of Lovey and Cadence being in the same room might tempt Pinkie to join in and I think we'd all be doomed.

7816684 7816622
I can't find it, but I'm certain somewhere in one of the stories is a hint that Lovey and Cadence have met, and this story takes place at the current "end" of the universe, i.e. it comes after every other currently published story.

I totally want to write the story of Lovey and Cadence meeting! Lovey challenged her to a "love-off", so it's definitely a tale. That event happened well before this story, where Cadence really had no place or purpose. :twilightsheepish:

So... um... someday!

And then cadance chrysalis magically teleports into the pony hug pile!

Cant wait to see these two again they are adorable

There are stories which you follow because they keep you on the edge of your seat...
There are stories which you follow because the premise they are presenting is groundbreaking...
There are stories which you follow because they make you question the reality around you...

... and then there are stories which you follow because they make you feel... happy.

Thank you, Crystal, for making me happy.

7816914

Thank you, Crystal, for making me happy.

Crystal is to Happiness what Lovey is to Love. She follows your Happy Lines to figure out where they go, tackle-glomps you with an idea, and then drags you across your imagination in pursuit of it. Because if there's one imperative Mom Rose Princess follows, it's "thou shalt be happy!"

So is Lovey actively trying to suppress her ability because she's finally figured out frequent heart palpitations are kind of a bad sign? :P

"I'm super, thanks for asking!"

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/bc/f0/86/bcf0868f6de3aa20e13d04731321c184.jpg

"No way! They're both Mom One to me!"

They can always be Mom 1 and Mom A.

Bravo! Bravo! Now for the wedding! Lets see Magnus's parents reactions!

D'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

"I see." It was good to know her vision was still intact.

My absolute favorite Lovey quote, and it's 3am so I read it 3 times before I got it this time. Silly me :twilightsheepish:

They had some good times together after she and Magnate worked things out and before she moved out. But, it was okay!

Possibly even...super okay?

And just like that, she was home and the lock on the door undid itself just for her.

Darn, she doesn't even get to enjoy the simple pleasure of travel. I love my daily drives.

Lovey nearly choked on her over-excited giggles as she bounded inside, nearly dropping the bag of groceries.

haha, I find this borderline excessive happiness. She is going to die of a heart-attack from excessive giggling.

Lovey's heart skipped at least three beats, maybe even four!

That's it! I'm diagnosing arrhythmia right here and now!

"With this ring, I'll have something to see, and so will you if you'll marry me, Lovey Dovey."

aaand BAM! your second marriage proposal scene written. Next we should see Horsey's for lucky number three!

A wonderful story, thank you for sharing.

Beautiful, simply beautiful.

That was beautiful and heartwarming. This is the best Christmas ever.

And had a wonderful family. n_n Beautifully done.

Oh, gosh, I never did responses! Ahh!! Sorry, folks!

7816608 >3< Yaaass!!

7816681 I think that is the best description that can be given! :>

7816683 Aww!! That is a high compliment, thank you! I've had Magnate's proposal tucked away in my notes for... probably a year, hahah.

7816764 Seems legit!

7816874 Yeah, they're probably one of my favorite couples, just because I adore the differences between them that make them whole. ^^

7816899 Yaayy.....

7816914 ^^ I am happy to write stories that make others happy, especially you!

7817025 ahahaha pffbtbt aww. Yes! I believe strongly in happiness. :heart:

7817388 Hahahah, something like that, I guess. :D

;D

7817483 Maybe someday I might write an epilogue, but for now, the story is complete! Huzzah!

7818014 >3< *squeal*

7818133 Hahahah. The "I see" thing is just an ongoing joke I've enjoyed so much. Glad it's a favorite!

Yaaas, I think Horsey's will definitely end up being the third proposal I write. I just. Need to work on her story. *looks at fic gaining dust in the corner* Errr....

7818251 Thank you for reading!! ^^

7818405 Aww thanks >3<

7818728 D: Well that is extremely kind of you to say! Merry (belated) Christmas!!

7825818 NO, your feels are warm and comfy. I'm gonna stay there.

7828771 hahaheheh. Yeah, I'll have to write an epilogue at some point. The Lovey family is fun. ^^

7844851

Oh, gosh, I never did responses!  Ahh!!  Sorry, folks!

Awwww... With a plea like that, how could we not forgive you? It's okay, Kaieesha, we do. :twilightsmile:

7844851 You know, I've never seen another author that replies to every comment like you do. It almost makes me feel guilty that you feel guilty that you haven't replied to all the comments.
Almost.

7845097 That's a lie! Anzel replies, too.

ahahah I take it very seriously!! It's been repeatedly said to us that our diligence with communication is a main reason why people like Q&B. So, since it's important to others, it's important to me. ^^

7845115 Although you and Anzel have different strengths and quirks, I consider the both of you one unit in my mind. So he receives every compliment I have given you (and vice versa).
I agree with those people, it's a well rounded community because of your replies to the comments.

Really cute ending to a fun story by a great author. I can hardly call that a surprise :eeyup::moustache:

What's weird though is that I got such a weird sense of deja vu from this chapter... especially starting from the four hooves rule and ending at the proposal... course I might just be mixing up with old chapters or something :twilightsheepish:

7866189 Oh, that's probably because of the previous chapter! ^^

"All the Beautiful and New Things" is Magnate's perspective, and ends right before he proposes. Then "Getting to Know What to Say", as a troll-tease, switches to Lovey's perspective and goes back in time a few hours before catching back up and continuing from where the previous chapter left off.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, though!!

7866625 ooohhh. That explains it. I'm glad to know I'm not crazy or a mind reader:trollestia:

While unlikely, I think I'd actually quite like a story about Derelict. You guys are like a spider. Weaving webs with strands that split off in all directions, and yet even with all the parts, the quality doesn't falter.

(Hope my metaphor makes as much sense to you as it did in my head)

I was gunna wait to finish this on valentines day... but then I didn't! <3

perfect. :heart: (no other words were needed)

A moment of your time?

Normally, while I've been tackling my Read it Later list, I try not to make comments so I can go from one story to the next without wasting much time. However, to me, this story, and its prequel, warrant an exception. I just wanted to point out just how much both of these stories struck close to home for me.

Specifically, the character Magnate. Before he met Lovey Dovey, he found love to be a complete waste of his time (and, in his eyes, other's), choosing instead to focus on his work, in hopes of gaining a promotion and to further his career. By this parallel, I find myself far too preoccupied with my college studies to find someone to love.

But, as I find, it's also a good way of letting your guard down if you find yourself falling for the wrong person. Love, as I find, is the proverbial way of showing your back and waiting for the knife to plunge in.

Or, as Rick and Morty put it, so bluntly, yet so eloquently:
az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/responsive/embedded/any/desktop/2015/12/25/635866746318044437-1250724890_marriage.jpg

Maybe it's just because I'm a sour, cynical son of a bitch who's fated to die alone, unnoticed, heirless. Or maybe I've yet to meet my Lovey Dovey. Or if I have, I've not recognized it. And the last two sentences assume that I ever will.

That's all; carry on.

I love her room mate and parents!

I just admire Magnate's patience with Lovey, especially with the whole thirty-seven paper heart notes he had found after an hour of searching his office. Then a few minutes after he realizes he wasted an entire hour, Lovey pops in with a homemade lunch for him and the news that she cancelled his delivery service. He must really love Lovey Dovey if he tolerates her Pinkie-like personality and habits. Because anypony else, other than Cheese Sandwich, would have exploded before even in her face just from the sudden news of her moving in after the first date with her. He has to be head-over-hooves for that mare if he tolerates that kind of stuff and takes it in stride.

It took me a really long time to find a song that would actually fit Lovey Dovey and Magnate's relationship. I am certain that "Accidentally in Love" by Counting Crows is perfect for them.

They met because Magnate's sister hired Lovey for her matchmaking expertise to help her brother find love, if not just to keep their family's bloodline going. Magnate, not believing in love entirely, continuously attempted to convince Lovey that she is wasting her time and that he is perfectly fine by himself. However, over time, Magnate unwillingly, at first, begins to draw closer and closer to Lovey, causing him fall in love with her over time.

That is the same case for Lovey Dovey, but in a more unknowing fashion. She was so wrapped up in finding Magnate a special somepony, that she did not realize that she developed feelings for him as she spent more and more time around him.

To put it simply, Lovey and Magnate were supposed to have a professional relationship only (well as professional as Lovey Dovey can be with her personality and matchmaking career anyway), but as the two spent more and more time together, they accidentally fell in love. Hell, the song even mentions strawberry ice cream sundays in the lyrics and Lovey's favorite fruit is strawberries!

8502210 Oh! Yes! That is actually a perfect fit, you're right!! :heart:

How much longer will it take to cure this
Just to cure it cause I can't ignore it if it's love (love)
Makes me want to turn around and face me but I don't know nothing 'bout love
[...]
Well baby I surrender
To the strawberry ice cream
Never ever end of all this love
Well I didn't mean to do it
But there's no escaping your love

heeehehe, well done! :heart:

Thank you, when I read a story, I try to give the characters theme songs to match their personality, scene, or atmosphere that are set in. "Giggles and Gumdrops" by 4everfreebrony, for example, fits Lovey Dovey's Pinkie-like personality. Magnate, on the other hoof, reminds me of a always-serious type of pony. I gave the serious theme song for Vash the Stampede from the Trigun anime (The only times this song plays in the anime itself is when the main character becomes serious during a fight). The song itself is instrumental as far as I know and it is called "Never Could Have Been Worse". I do not know the artist responsible for creating it, sadly. It fits Magnate, as he is always trying to get to the top of the corprate ladder and break out of his father's shadow. Magnate's song changes briefly to "Glad You Came" by The Wanted when he realizes that he does like Lovey and officially asks her to be his marefriend.

I had a bit of trouble trying do decide a song for Magnate during the sequel. He does not act so abrasive as he did before but he did not mellow out either. I kept switching songs until I got to his first confrontation with his father (story-wise), when his parents basically grabbed her off the street and stated that she could be just a useless parasite to the family name in the long run, and Magnate leaves right in the middle of work to save Lovey from his parents' judgement and threats. During that point, I gave him the theme of Infinite from the new Sonic Forces original soundtrack.

Yeah)
(Yo)
I'm the tallest of mountains
I am the roughest of waves
I'm the toughest of terrors
I am the darkest of days
She and I are the last ones that's standing,
Don't try to stand in my way,
Cause I've been up against better,
Just take a look at my face
Cause if you're messing with her,
I am a dangerous weapon
I am the sharpest of blades;
I'll cut you down in a second
Cause I am lost in this love,
It only falters if I let it,
So if you think you can harm her
Then you should go and forget it
And after all this time, you're back for more
(I won't stop until they know my heart's choice!)
So I'll take what's mine and end this fight
(I'm coming at you like a tidal wave)
When everything you know has come and gone,
(You are at your lowest, I am rising higher)
Only scars remain of who I was
(What I find in this love, you lose in your judgement!)
When there's no more left you can do
(This is an illusion, open up your eyes and...)
This love (persists),
I can't (resist),
But that's what it takes to be in love!
So look around you
And tell me what you really see
She and I will never end
And that's the difference in you and me
Cause when your time is up
And everything is falling down,
It's only she, myself, and you - who is gonna save you now?
So look around you
And tell me what you really see
You live a lie
And that's the difference in you and me
I have her at my side,
Let me show you what our love is all about
It's only she, myself, and you - who is gonna save you now?
(Who is gonna save you now?)

I edited the lyrics to make Magnate sound like he is challenging his father. If any harm should come to Lovey, then there will be hell to pay. Then I finally decided on what to use for Magnate's theme after Derelict Apathy's relationship counciling, "Never Turn Back" by Crush 40. Magnate can never turn back to his old way of thinking because he needs Lovey around him to feel loved. He refuses to turn back after that. I only got to where the two of them left Derelict and Lovey's apartment. I do hope that I am correct in assuming that the two get back together?

Just now finished reading the rest of the story, it took me only a nano-second to give the ending its theme. I decided to go the pony route and gave it up to "Love's in Bloom" from the season 2 soundtrack! It fit so perfectly that it caused my own heart to hurt in envy. I could never find that sort of happiness myself. I am too boring as one girl put it. Another said that I never show enough interest, that was during high school and truth be told, I never did because I was so focused on getting my school work done that I felt I had not time for a relationship. In my honest opinion, I was wrong, I could have been better. My father passed away from cancer four to five years ago on New Years Day. My mother went spiraling into debt because of it and I thought that if I just worked hard enough in school, I could easily get a job and help my mother. No, school did not teach me anything about living in the real world. I am stuck in my house because I have no idea where to start and not only that, but I am high-functioning autistic and forced to live off of social security. If I get a job, then my money gets cut off and the meager wage that I receive will do nothing to the bills we have to pay to keep my home.

I am afraid that if I do not do something soon, then my mother and I will be living on the street! My mother can't work herself because of her arthritis and it kept getting worse over the years due to all the stress and debt she has been under.

I apologize for unloading this onto you. There is a light that appeared for my mother. She found someone that loves her as much as my father did. I could tell because when I was shopping with them, I felt that same pain when I read about the ending of Lovey and Magnate's story. My envy is what gives me such strong signals that love is in the air. I am happy for them even if it causes me pain to watch their love take root. 😌😌😌😌😌😌😌

What can I say, Lovey is just too adorable, it's not fair! Frikkin weaponized cuteness.......

If I could sum up my luck with the ladies, I'll let Mr Brown and Mr Jackson explain it.

Well... I have a better understanding of the Lovey Dovey story from the contest now. Did you... ever find the author? Anywho...
Edit: Re-checked the blogpost about it, good to see!

This was... poignant. Reading a fair portion of it during my 'hour of the wolf' didn't help matters (for me personally... it didn't tarnish the story, quite the contrary). It was also wonderful in that it really went beyond my expectations with the complexities (and conflicts) facing the characters, especially after the relatively straightforward (though adorable) first story.

I really want a third story for them now. I mean... sure her parents are on board, but... what about his? What about their foal on the way? Cause that's totally headcanon for me until proven otherwise... Actually that story got me to read these sooner than I'd planned to.

Derelict was great, too. More than once I thought 'oh, so that's what I'm like ponified... not sure if okay', but she was a great foil for Lovey... and Magnate at times.

Login or register to comment