• Published 14th Feb 2016
  • 3,033 Views, 326 Comments

Lovey Dovey and the Uncertain Stallion - Crystal Wishes



Lovey Dovey knows that she's destined to be with Magnate. But is he so certain?

  • ...
16
 326
 3,033

Day by Day

Lovey looked at the newspaper in her hoof, at the door in front of her, and back at the paper. Yup! The numbers matched! This was most definitely the place! Her wings fluttered with excitement as she knocked twice, once, and twice again.

A few moments later, a crystal unicorn answered the door. She had a shimmering coat like black onyx that contrasted with her silver mane and tail. Her expression was somewhere between calm and empty as she raised one brow. "Hello. May I help you?"

"Oh, I certainly hope so!" Lovey raised the newspaper. "Are you the pony who put this ad in the paper for a roommate?"

The mare blinked slowly. "Is the ad for a room at this address?" She lifted a hoof and gestured Lovey inside. "The answer is yes, so therefore, yes, I am that pony. I assume you're interested in answering the ad. Please, come in."

Lovey pranced past her, pausing to look around. The layout was similar to Magnate's, but bigger. There was an extra door off to the right, the kitchen was a full kitchen instead of a little one, and she had a couch, a loveseat, and a recliner in the living room! Most of the available wallspace was taken up by shelves and shelves of books. More books than Lovey could even comprehend!

"My name is Derelict Apathy," the mare said, shutting the door and taking a seat on the chair. "Why don't you tell me about yourself?"

"Sure!" Lovey hopped onto the couch and hugged a throw pillow to her chest, her wings ruffling before settling in at her sides. "I am Lovey Dovey, matchmaker extraordinaire! Well, I was up until, like, this morning. This morning I quit my job so I could move here to move in with my coltfriend, but he says it's too soon for that, so I have to find my own place. I think this would be an absolutely perfect place, because it would make me his two-floor one-door neighbor, which is practically living together!"

Derelict blinked slowly. "I see."

Lovey giggled as she fell over onto her side. "I'm so very, very excited! Once he's ready—and I'm sure that won't take too terribly long—then I can move in and we'll start our life together as very special forever someponies!"

"Uh-huh." A notepad and pencil lifted in Derelict's magic and she started to take notes. "And how does your coltfriend feel about this?"

"Magny? Oh, well, he and I are very different ponies." She nuzzled the pillow. "He wants to take things slow. And that's okay! I can wait! Because I know he's the best for me and I'm the best for him. I've waited so very long to find my special somepony and if I have to wait a little longer, well, that's okay! He'll realize it eventually!"

The pencil worked furiously to keep up. "I see. And how does it make you feel that he wants you to wait?"

Lovey inclined her head to blink at Derelict. "Huh? Well, I suppose it made me a little sad at first!"

"And how do you know you two are right for each other if you don't view your relationship as at the same stage as each other?"

"Because of the love lines, of course!" Lovey giggled. "They told me so!"

One eyebrow raised, Derelict continued to write, though she was able to maintain eye contact with Lovey while doing so. "Tell me about these love lines."

Lovey wiggled with excitement as she sat upright again. "Love lines are the wonderful forces that connect ponies together! They're kind of like love destinies, except less rigid. More like love suggestions. Really strong love suggestions!"

"Mmhm. And you believe you can see these love lines?"

"Believe?" Lovey sputtered into laughter and waved a hoof. "Oh, I more than believe! I can see that I can see them! In fact—" She paused and looked at Derelict's chest.

It took a moment for things to come into view, but she saw them eventually. The little lines in varying shades of red and pink that crisscrossed and zigzagged amongst all the other love lines that flowed through the air. They stood out against the mare's black onyx coat, but it was hard for her to tell them apart with how they were muddled and blurred.

"Aww… You don't know what you want?" Lovey sighed, shaking her head. "You poor thing! I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually, though!"

Derelict glanced down at herself, then back up. The familiar look of skepticism Lovey had seen her whole life was plastered on the mare's face. "Mmhm. Interesting."

"Yup!" Lovey tried to smile, but her heart had started to race. Now that she had looked for them, she saw them everywhere. Love lines drifted all over the room, slipping in through a window over here and disappearing into a wall over there. Some were strong, some were weak, and some were aimless.

The furniture was dark. The floors were dark. It was too easy to see them. Lovey's gaze darted about in a fruitless search for somewhere to look where they faded away. Her heart pounded all the way into her ears.

"So!" she blurted out and clapped her hooves. "Can I be your roommate?"

"Can you?" Derelict finished up her last note and snapped the notebook shut. "You can, and you may. In fact, I insist. I haven't—" She furrowed her brow when Lovey jumped into the air and flew toward the door. "Where are you going?"

Lovey responded with the only word at the forefront of her mind: "PINK!"

♥ ❤ ♥ ❤ ♥

Prench toast was the breakfast of lovers, and Lovey was determined to make it. She had snuck into the kitchen extra early to ensure she had enough time to practice the dish, and boy, did she need it! What was she on, her third or fourth attempt? No matter! Love would guide her hooves into making the best Prench toast in Equestria.

A door creaked open and hoofsteps started to draw near before their owner went still. After a moment of silence, a groggy voice asked, "Lovey?"

Lovey spun around, her frilly pink apron flaring out before settling back into place. "Good morning, Magny!"

Magnate pushed his glasses up to rub at his eyes, then squinted at her. "What are you doing in my apartment?"

"Making you breakfast, of course! And I think I almost have it this time!"

"'This time'?" He walked over and frowned at the trash bin, which was full of discarded Prench toast mishaps. "I see. And let me guess. You got in by 'singing a song in your heart'?"

Lovey booped him on the nose with one hoof, giggled, and spun back around to check the skillet. "How else, silly?"

Magnate sighed and tried to smile. "Okay. We'll talk about that later. Did you find a place to stay?"

"Absolutely, my two-floor one-door neighbor!" Lovey winked. "I have a roommate, too! She's great! Actually, she reminds me a lot of you!"

"And why is that?" he asked idly, pouring himself a glass of orange juice.

Lovey's wings ruffled as she giggled. "Because she asks lots of questions like that! And 'how does that make you feel?' She's really concerned about my feelings, which is awfully nice of her!"

He just stared at her while he slowly drained the glass. "Did you find a roommate, or a therapist?"

"A roommate, of course! That was what it said in the newspaper, anyway. Why would the newspaper lie?" Lovey waved a hoof. "It wouldn't! But, here, I think this one's right." She flipped the skillet over to drop the toast onto a plate—along with all the butter and grease that it had been cooking in.

"Lovey!" Magnate's magic grabbed a hooftowel and quickly worked on the mess. "What were you thinking?"

Her ears drooped. "Well, I was thinking about how silly it would be for a newspaper to lie, and then how excited I was for you to try what I made…"

Magnate opened his mouth to speak, but bit back his words. Her ears drooped even further. He was going to scold her, wasn't he? No, he was going to, but he was such a gentlepony that instead, he was breathing in and out in a frustrated sigh. Well, that was a step above scolding.

"I don't need you to make me breakfast. I appreciate it, but it's fine. Orange juice and some cereal is fine." Just as she started to spring into action, he put a hoof on her shoulder to stop her. "And I've been making that for myself for years. So, why don't you go back to your apartment?"

"What?" She blinked a few times. "But… If I'm at my apartment, how can I give you a kiss and tell you to have a good day at work and then make your bed and clean the kitchen?"

His brow furrowed. "You don't have to do any of that."

"But I want to…" She sighed. "Please?"

"Lovey, just—" He sucked in another breath, then leaned in and kissed her cheek. "I appreciate it, but I don't need it. You just got here yesterday, so why don't you get settled before you worry about things like that?"

Oh, how was she supposed to feel? A kiss on the cheek—wonderful! Him not needing her—awful! While she struggled with what expression she should make, Magnate filled a bowl with cereal and took it over to the small dining table.

"Okay," she mumbled, settling on a half-smile. "I'll go get settled. But can I still give you a kiss and tell you to have a good day at work?"

Magnate looked over at her and, after a moment of thought, he replied in a cautious tone, "You can this morning."

"I'll take it!" She flew over the table, kissing him on her way past, and chirped as she sailed out the door, "Have a good day at work, honey!"

Once she was out of sight, the half-smile fell. Oh, Magnate had no sense of romantic adventure! But that was okay. She could be patient. She was the most patient pony ever! After all, how long would she have to wait, anyway?

"Welcome back, Lovey Dovey," Derelict said from the recliner, where she was looking over a Scientific Equestrian Mind magazine. "I see you decorated last night."

Lovey giggled as she landed in the middle of the living room. "I did! I hope you don't mind. I just really, really needed a bit more color in here."

Derelict lowered the magazine and made a show of looking around at all the pink additions to the room. They had been carefully chosen based on their shades' proximity to the color of love lines and placed around the apartment so she always had somewhere safe to look.

"Well, I suppose one more color is, by definition, 'a bit more color' than what there was before." Derelict returned her attention to what she had been reading.

Lovey pranced her way over to the kitchen. "Do you want anything for breakfast?"

"Are you offering to make something?" She flipped to the next page. "If yes, then I suppose you would have to tell me what you can make with what we have."

"Oh, um... I hadn't thought that far ahead!" Lovey hummed to herself as she rummaged through the fridge. "What do you want?"

There was a small pause before Derelict replied, "I reiterate: what can you make with what we have?"

Lovey peeked around the fridge door. "I'm actually not sure! I just learned how to make Prench toast this morning. Juniper usually took care of breakfast… and lunch… and dinner… Or I'd just eat out!"

"Is that so?" Derelict shifted in the recliner to look at her. "And who is Juniper?"

"My best friend!" Lovey beamed as she trotted over and sat down, the feathers of her wings ruffling with excitement. "Juniper and I have been friends ever since I moved to Ponyville. I had to have an office that had a central location that all ponies could reach, and Canterlot was too expensive. So I moved to Ponyville and met Juniper." She giggled. "Her first words to me were, 'Are you lost?' She was always so funny!"

Derelict's notebook had returned, the pencil already hard at work. "Interesting. And when you say office, do you mean a place of business?"

Lovey puffed out her chest with pride. "Oh, yes! I am the best matchmaker in all of Equestria!" She blinked a few times, then started to deflate. "Or at least, I was until I quit to move here so I could be with Magnate."

"You quit your job to be with him? I see." Derelict nodded slowly. "I'm starting to understand your relationship a bit better."

"Understand my relationship?" Lovey rose to her hooves, shaking her head. "Oh, there's nothing to understand beyond that he and I are going to be very special someponies! Anyway, I think I saw some fruit. Fruit is a breakfast food!"

Derelict clicked her tongue in thought. "If there's any cantaloupe, I wouldn't mind some of that."

"Coming right up, Derry!" Lovey hummed while she sliced the fruit and started to arrange the pieces on a plate. Derelict was super smart, but she didn't know anything about love. Lovey, on the other hoof, knew everything there was to know about love. Her relationship would be just fine once Magnate was ready to accept it!