• Published 24th Jul 2012
  • 3,012 Views, 193 Comments

Heart of Winter - Dr.Shisno



Rarity in the Siberian Wasteland, trying to get home

  • ...
7
 193
 3,012

Far From Home

Following large figure in front of self was easy enough. Putting own footfalls in his own as to reduce noise took bit getting used to. Self’s warm breath was clouding vision with each step. The figure stopped and turned with wrinkled smile, etched upon face, one arm cradling rifle; his graying hair hidden under black ballcap and stout figure hidden under thick long coat.

“Come along now, boy,” he waved self on. “Hurry up.”

“Da, grandfather,” was huffed reply, trying to increase pace and length of step. Finally catching up to him, his smile grew proud as he patted head.

“Good, it is just over hill. Small hike, nyet?” He chuckled lightly. “Now try not to fall behind too much. I do not wish to wait on you.”

“Of course, grandfather,” I nodded to reaffirm. “I will stay close.”

Another pat on head and a,“Good boy,” before grandfather returned to quick pace and self’s struggle to match. I could feel pack’s straps digging into shoulder, but refrained from speaking of it. Story of how father would have not complained would return for thousandth time. I would not like to hear story for thousand and first time.

Hill’s incline proved to be difficult to navigate and feet faltered. Ground was quick to meet face. In trying to push self off ground, arms would not respond so face met ground again. Grandfather’s footfalls stopped, but remained where they were, as if waiting. “Get up Arkady,” he called out after few moments.

“I cannot, grandfather, we’ve been walking all day. I’m tired.” I lay there, gripping dirt, trying to not to cry out in pain.

“Get up, Arkady.” He called out again.

“But, I ca-,”

“Do not give your bullshit excuses,” he interrupted, voice growing in intensity. “Now get up.”

With any strength I tried to put into lifting self off the ground, I was only rewarded with failure. Grandfather’s footfalls grew closer with each failed attempt. He was standing over self before I sunk into ground, wishing it to swallow self.

“Up.”

“I am trying.”

“Up.”

“Grandfather, I am tr-,”

“I said up.”

“But I-,”

“Stop talking. You are wasting air. Up.”

Another strained attempt brought self up farther, before arms collapsing and putting face to ground.

Presence of grandfather grew closer as he crouched down. “One of two things are going to happen. One, you get up. We continue walking. Two, I keep walking and come back later. Now. Up.”

Another struggle, self’s arms burning to push up. Knees shook pulling under my body. Another push, pack straps pulled hard against shoulders, and I was flung to my feet, stumbling to gain balance. Looking to grandfather, he was still crouched, shaking head. Using rifle as crutch, he pushed himself up. He took few seconds to compose what he was going to say, “Do not listen to body, it lies. It is much more capable than it tells mind. Do not forget that.”

I took few deep breaths and regained balance. “Thank you.”

“Do not thank me yet,” He turned and kept walking. “We are not even close to finished with day.”

After quick sigh, I followed after, minding each step. We continued up hill, no words being said. Struggle up slope was not as difficult as before and I kept better pace with grandfather. Reaching crest of hill, we finally stopped, gazing into valley below.

“Set your pack there,” he pointed to ground just over crest of hill. “Should be good spot.” Without response, I set pack down at spot. “Ok, now set up spot like I taught you.” A nod, he turned back to self, and self brought out contents of pack. Small mat with pack at head went down. Small sand bag went on top of pack. Next came setting up small folding chair next to blanket, then putting binoculars on chairs.

“Finished,” self said. Grandfather turned around and began inspection. Walking around the small set up.

He hummed to self, circling several times. “This would suffice, however, it was too slow. Again.”

Self’s disappointed sigh was only argument before repacking everything and giving nod to start again. Set was bit sloppier, mat was not as straight and pack was angled wrong. Another try, the sandbag was not centered; next time mat was flipped upside down. By fifth time it was deemed acceptable. He nodded and hummed to self, circling one last time.

“It is good, finally. Take your spot.”

“Yes sir,” was simple response as I sat on small chair. Picking up binoculars, eyes scanned valley below. Out of corner of eye, Grandfather took prone position adjusting rifle on sandbag. I looked for anything of interest in valley. Anything. There was nothing for long time. It must have been over hour before a deer stepped into clearing.

“Deer, 500 meters.” Was guess after quick estimation. Grandfather’s demeanor changed. Shifting weight in stance and breathing slowed. Adjusting rifle, he breathed again. Finally, his process stopped.

“Switch, now,” His voice quick to point.

“But I have not-,”

“You are twelve and you are learning now.”

“Yes sir.” Getting up from chair, I relieved grandfather behind rifle as he took chair spot. Sitting behind rifle was new experience. Smooth wood stock felt big and heavy in hands. It sat awkwardly in hands and against shoulder.

“Work bolt so action is open.” I did as instructed and the smooth action opened easily. “Here,” he handed self clip of bullets. “Put them in.” Also done as instructed, but bullets took bit of force to slide into rifle. “Now work bolt forward.” It worked forward with ease, putting bullet into chamber. “You are now responsible for anything you hit with that bullet. Be it tree, rock, or that deer at 500 meters. You have ultimate power and decision. It is not something to take lightly. Life in balance of few kilograms of pressure.” Heart skipped beat at notion. It was lot to take in.

“Breath, slowly,” Grandfather spoke smoothly, as if he could hear heartbeat. “Adjust sights so rear sight is at it is at five. Put front post level with groove of rear sight groove and breathe slowly.” Out of corner of eye grandfather was peering in binoculars at deer. “Put front post on the middle of deer, right behind shoulder blades.”

“But I can barely see it,” I struggled to keep rifle centered.

“Just breathe and wait; in through nose, out through mouth. You have all the time you need.” Breathing as told, rifle slowed in movement before settling on small figure of deer. “Take time, if you have target, breathe and squeeze trigger slowly. Do not pull it quickly, it messes with your aim.”

The deer stood there, grazing at whatever grass it could find, at least that is way it looked like at 500 meters. Continuing as instructed, I began to pull trigger slowly, trying best to keep pull even. Without warning the rifle shuttered, and recoil sent stock into shoulder with force. With ears ringing, I could not understand what grandfather was saying, but he appeared to be laughing.

“-od shot, Arkady!” I heard as hearing returned. Grandfather patted shoulder. “You are natural.” He laughed again, standing up. “Quickly, pack up. We must inspect your shot.” Handing rifle to him, I put everything back into pack, which felt much lighter than earlier. After slinging pack over shoulders we walked down hill side by side. He ruffled my hair with his hand. “You did good, boy. Now, don’t tell your mother.”

“Do not worry, I will not tell her anything,” I smiled up at him.

"Tell me what?” my gaze snapped to behind me. Rarity was few paces behind me. Cold hit senses like hammer. Pack grew heavier than imagined. I was no longer twelve and Grandfather was no longer beside me. It took second to remember where we were, somewhere between Skagway and Prince Rupert. At least two days ago Sergei landed plane in Skagway and we parted ways. Easiest way was to follow coastline, though colder and humid salty air hung like wet cloth. Thankfully, we were only trudging through few centimeters of snow.

“Nothing. It is nothing.”

She gave self strange look. “You sure? You’ve been talking to yourself for some time now. Something you want to talk about?”

“No. It is nothing.”

“Maybe just a minute to sit down and rest, we’ve been walking all day. I know you haven’t been sleeping well. Also, my feet are killing me.”

It did not take long to contemplate notion, “Yes.” Dropping pack and collapsing onto ground, “That would be for best.”

She approached and sat down next to self, “Are you sure it’s nothing?”

“I am only tired. Nothing more.” Automatically, I started to unpack, setting out things needed to prepare campsite. She placed hand on shoulder, “I have said it is nothing,” I said, shrugging her off.

“I’m only trying to help,” she humphed.

“You can help by setting up camp. Simple, nyet?”

“Fine.” She stepped away, creating room while she unpacked her pack. “Um, how do I set up the tent again?”

Chyort, woman,” I let frustration get best of self. “Have you never been camping?”

“Well,” she giggled nervously, side stepping self’s frustration. “You would never have considered what I did “camping” as compared to this. So this is a new experience.”

“Okay,” taking deep breath trying to calm self down. “Bring out tent so I can show you again.” After quick rummaging through pack she found the case for her small tent. “Clear space for it. Make sure there is little rocks or other things like that. From there we shall set up tent.” Trying to dig into cold earth was dealt with some difficulty, but was eventually accomplished. Set up after clearing was also met with minor difficulty. Not in set up but in trying to teach to Rarity. Explanation was made simple as possible. Patience was in short supply, but I made do.

Self’s tent went up much quicker than Rarity’s. It needed to be done quickly, as sun began making decent down and temperature became colder. Final preparations were made: packs strung up high above ground, sleeping arrangements finished, and fire made. There we sat, enjoying small comfort of burning fire.

“Beans?” I offered her open can with spoon. She took can, eye remaining on fire. I took place across from her across fire, eating own can of beans slowly. “If we wake up early, we should be able to arrive at Prince Rupert by mid afternoon." She nodded, no words, shadow of flames flickering across face. “Rarity, you are not talking.”

“What?” She returned to land of living, “Sorry, I was just thinking.”

“That is certainly unlike you,” I chuckled.

“I could say the same about your willingness to stop early for the night,” she shot back. “Usually there’s an argument.”

“I thought it would be for best.”

She took small bite from beans, shrugging. “Whatever you say, Arkady.”

We ate in silence for some time, having crackling fire fill void of conversation. “I was remembering grandfather. That is all.” My own words caught self off guard. Even more when words continued to flow. “When he first taught self to shoot. It was long time ago.”

“I guess we’re both remembering home,” she pulled knees closer. “It’s my sister. I just hope she’s been okay.” In-between crackles of fire there was sniffle.

Shuffling around fire, I sat next to her, my own actions contradicting notions of being protector. But the protector comforts? He makes sure she is okay, not just physically. I concluded argument in head and continued conversation. “I have not heard much of your sister, tell self about her.”

“I see her when you make me breakfast.” She giggled lightly. “Mind you, you don’t burn the eggs to charcoal.”

I chuckled, “Does she now?”

“Da, really.” Smile grew on face as she emerged from somber shell. “I remember one time she glued my valuable gems onto a card she made for me. I was furious at first, but it’s more of the thought that counts. It was a lovely card, actually. She’s all heart, and sometimes I forget that.”

“Surely that cannot be everything.”

“No,” she laughed, leaning into self. Her action caught self off guard. It was surprising, yet welcome gesture. “Not at all. She made the card because she shrunk one of my wool sweaters.” She laughed again remembering memory. “It was a nice sweater too.”

“Really?” Another chuckle as fire crackled again, sending sparks high. “She must be piece of work, like yourself.”

“She is very much like myself. She’s full of heart and does everything to the best of her ability. I’ve accepted that and love her for that.”

“You both still walk, so that is good.”

“Yes,” warmth of fire was comforting as her grip around arm started. I was expecting this gesture, moving to make grip comfortable for both parties. “What were you saying about your grandfather? I know you have mentioned him before. With taking you in after your parents…” She left sentence hang in air and drift away with smoke.

“Yes, when parents passed. Grandfather took place as surrogate father when father passed, before taking sister and I completely in when mother passed. Taught me better points in life. Shoot and survive. What we are doing now. Not something planned.”

“What was planned then?”

“Depends on when you ask.”

“What do you mean?”

“If you asked when I was child, I wanted to be cosmonaut. See stars. See Space. Maybe Moon one day.” I laugh, more at self than anything. “Ask self when I was twelve and I wanted to be pilot like grandfather. Ask self when I was teenager and I wanted to be teacher. Sister is following that dream that now. Ask self when I returned from Georgia and I wanted nothing to do with this world.”

“What happened in Georgia?”

“Nothing good. That is for sure.” I shook head. “Forget it. You said you were a fashion designer, what made you choose such job?”

I felt her shrug, “I guess I was born to do it. It comes naturally and I really enjoy what I do. And a lot of people like what I make. Even made things for a Princess before.”

“The humble one you are,” I smirked. She hummed in reply.

Fire continued to crackle in our silence, few sparks floated upward to now darkened sky before sputtering out in the moonlight.

“Why don’t you want to talk about Georgia?”

I sighed. “Great country of Russia decided not to recognize Georgia’s independence. Past global politics caused situation, but that is longer story.” I could feel grip grow tighter around arm. “So there was battle. I was not on frontline, and thankfully only saw enemy once, but after five days of battle there was much destroyed. Lives ruined. It is easier to write off if one sees pictures. Walking through rubble is much different.”

“So you left?”

“Da, sold what I did not need, bought what I did need. Followed after Nestor into Serbia. Trying to live and forget outside world.”

“You don’t miss it? Any of it?”

“Small things, but not many. What about you? What do you miss?”

“Well, my friends for one.” She fidgeted trying to find more comfortable spot on ground and against arm. “You could say we were all attached at the hip, doing a lot things together. The closeness of home, and things like that.”

“You will be home soon enough. We have made it very far. We will find your friend and you will go home. I made such promise.”

“Thank you,” I could feel her smile as head rested on shoulder. Fire continued to glow. Flames scorching away wood. That is where we stayed as darkness encroached and night sky brightened overhead. Slowly eating beans as fire died away. “Um, Arkady?”

“Yes?”

“What do you want to be in life?”

This was cause for pause, in attempt to think of logical answer. “I do not know.”

* * *

“…And so, the Snegurochka’s mother, feeling pity on her, gives her the ability to love. So the Snegurochka visits the Shepherd Lel, with her new found knowledge of love.” Mother adjusts hair out of face, sitting on chair in-between sister and self’s bed. Both of us eagerly awaiting to hear story end. Mother’s brown hair has lost most of normal shine, while bags hang under brown eyes like bruises. Smile on face still holds hope. She takes breath while turning page.

“She meets with Lel in the field while he tends to his sheep. She ran to him, happy to see him, happy to finally to love him. She embraced him, proclaiming her love for him.”

“They were both happy in each other’s arms, laughing and excited about the future with each other. Forever to be with each other.”

“At least that is what they hoped. The Snegurochka had never experienced this feeling before. Love. It was the warmest feeling in body. She was warmer than she had ever been in her whole life, which is what she realized when she started to melt in her lover’s arm.”

“As Lel looked in hopelessness as his lover disappearing between his fingers, she gave him one last smile. She loved him to the end.” She closed book gently. “How was that?”

“I liked it,” sister speaks from her bed.

“I thought it was stupid,” was self’s response.

“You only think it is stupid because you don’t understand love,” Nada was quick to retort.

“No, because it is stupid.”

“Well, I for one thought it was cute,” Mother stated, getting up from chair and putting it back near desk.

“That is because you are a girl and girls like that love stuff.”

“A fair observation Arkady, but you must learn to like that stuff to get your own girl one day.”

“Ew, girls are gross.”

“Hey!” Nada shot at self. “Not as gross as you!”

“You smell.”

“So do you!”

“Children,” Mother’s voice calmingly sang, quieting us both. “It is bedtime, so that means no arguing and yelling about who smells worse. Because answer is both of you.” We all had laugh, ending discussion. “Now sleep well both of you.”

“Yes, Mother.” Nada and self answer in unison. She turns off lamp on table in-between beds. She kisses Nada first, “Sleep well, little one.”

“Of course, mom.”

She walks over to self, “One day Arkady, you’ll understand.” Mother leans over and kisses forehead. “But till then, I need you to do one thing.”

“What is it, mother?”

“Could you be a dear and wake up?”

Statement caught self off guard. “What?”

“Arkady, wake up please!”

I felt body being shook as I awoke. Rarity had hand on shoulder, gently shaking. Senses were slowly remembering situation. We had left Edmonton by rail, now on fourth leg of journey by rail. The click-clack of train helped regaining of conscience. Taking deep breath, I addressed situation of still being shook.

“I am awake now.” I said in calmest tone, keeping eyes closed. “You can stop with shaking.”

“Oh! Sorry,” she lifted hand off shoulder and, from sound of voice, moved back to seat. “I was just making sure, you were mumbling in your sleep again.”

“It is okay,” I sat up in seat, stretching, and opening eyes. The small cabin we occupied was two benches with luggage racks above that, much more luxurious than tents. “Why am I awake though?”

“We’re arriving into the station soon, I thought you would like to be awake for when we arrived.”

“How long?”

She shrugged, “Maybe 30 minutes or so?”

I waved her off, “Plenty of time.” I slouched back into bench seat, closing eyes again. “Anything else?” I opened one eye to catch glance at Rarity.

Rarity leaned back into seat, seemed to be thinking of what she wished to say. She paused with a half word formed, but thought better of it and let it go. “No, nothing more.”

“Wonderful,” I closed opened eye and found comfortable spot. “Wake me when you need me.”