• Member Since 14th Feb, 2015
  • offline last seen February 12th

Dandereshy


Comments ( 53 )

8684029

Thanks. :twilightsmile:

8684141

Thanks! Doesn't sound crazy to me. :pinkiesmile:

If this story isn't going to have a happy ending, then why does it have "hope" in the title?

8692620

I didn't say it wouldn't have a happy ending. Lol

Alrighty then where to start where to start? Firstly I loved the attention to detail and the imagery that you used. The flow and pacing of this first chapter were also done well. I was completely invested for most of the read. though the switching of points of view were jarring at the beginning it didn't subtract from the immersion. It was a bit long, but completely okay. I greatly enjoyed it. Leaving us with a somber tone and a sense of suspense before the next chapter. Without reading the next chapter I can't say if that's a pro or a con, but after reading this I'm sure the next chapter will definitely deliver. I did find two mistakes the first is this.

Finally drained, Blue collapsed with a groan, feeling the pain begin to worsen. The adrenaline was wearing off quickly; soon, the pain would he unbearable.

I believe you meant to use "be" instead of "he". The second was when Fluttershy said there was a bad storm ongoing instead of going on. But really that's just a stylistic choice. All in all I could see it. I could hear it, I could read it good job. I look forward to the next chapter.

8705512

I really apologise for not returning the favor or replying to you. I got caught up with life stuff and I've been gone a couple months. I'll see if maybe I can get around to checking out one of your stories and giving some feedback. :twilightsheepish:

I've added this to Favourites and Read it Later.

Man, are you a boy scout or something? I oughta make a checklist of all the good survival techniques you made mention of in here. This chapter was tense and perilous and adorable at the same time. I love it and I wish the newest chapters can come sooner. This is A-grade quality in my opinion.

And the Fluttershy cuddling. Man, Fluttershy cuddling is so adorable.

8882952

I'm not, actually. :twilightsheepish:

I learned what I know from a variety of sources, including, but not limited to:

Watching survival movies/shows. They can be a great resource. Shows like Man vs Wild provide an in-depth and realistic look into what survival is all about.

Online research. You can find many a site devoted to survival and what to expect in certain situations, and how to live in even the worst of them. If you do some looking around, you can find some very helpful stuff.

Books/magazines. I do a lot of reading, and I've gone through a few survival books and magazines. They definitely hold a lot of helpful information if you actively need it.

Experience. I've lived in the woods before, and it's definitely fun to learn techniques on surviving in any living situation. I know quite a bit on what plants to avoid and which are edible, trapping, how to tell what the future weather will be like, staying warm/cool, and making fire out of just about anything, even if wet. There's much to learn if you wish to be prepared for a tragedy like the one depicted in my story.

I'm glad you're enjoying it while at the same time learning. I hope to continue to pique your interest. :twilightsmile:

8882970
I'm actually a boy scout, as a matter of fact. It's remarkable that you know as much as I do about this stuff--heck, even more than I do! It's great to see something really, actually, marvelous in its knowledge of what to do!

Oh, and thanks for the watch.:twilightsheepish:

8883047

Not a problem at all. :twilightsmile:

Wuh oh! This is picking up pace quickly!

And there's more adorable romance in life or death situations! Aww!

Okay, I am hooked! Awesome work:rainbowdetermined2:!

Blue sighed and turned to her. "Fluttershy, be realistic. He's been out in a winter storm without a jacket or blankets for three days, and he was injured Celestia knows how bad. He's gone. We can't risk our own well-being on somepony who's more than likely dead and gone. I'm sorry, but that's the truth and another fact of survival: recognize when somepony is lost and don't expend energy on them."

Sad but true:ajsleepy:.

I’m liking this more and more! That cuddle scene is so adorable too:heart:!

"Hello there, little birdie. Won't you come down?" she said in the most soothing, angelic voice Blue had ever heard. She could convince a crocodile to do backflips with that voice.

Ha:rainbowlaugh:!

Let me guess, it’s the Grey Wolves 🐺 .

Blue wanted to protest. It was better not to, though. He was tired anyways. "Alright. Goodnight, Fluttershy. Thanks for saving my life. I'll repay you any way I can." He closed his eyes. "Any way you want..."

Anyway she wants hm:ajsmug:?

Also, holy hay that Amarok is scary:twilightoops:!

9066597

That's awesome! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. :twilightsmile:

Woo finally got around to reading this and I’m glad I did! This story has me hella hooked and I can’t wait till the next chapter :pinkiehappy: I’m not very good at critique, but I will say that I love your writing style. It’s easy and enjoyable to read. All of the little survival tips and tricks are a nice edition (even though I probably won’t remember half of them -.-). And the romance! I swear I am a huge sucker for well-written romance and I love how it’s being handled in this story! It doesn’t feel too rushed or drug out imo.

I suppose my comment is long enough so I’ll leave it at that. Have a nice day Dandere :twilightsmile:

9083460

I'm so happy you're enjoying it so far. To be honest I was losing interest in this story due to lack of feedback but I think I'll keep writing it. Thanks for the kind words and confidence boost. :heart:

9085864
Well I’m glad I could help out in some way; made my day a little better :rainbowkiss: (though I would respect your decision should you drop the story :/)

It’s stupid early, though, and I’ve been up all night so I’m gonna keep it at that and head off to bed :applejackconfused:

[im curious though have you added this story to a fair amount of groups? You could potentially get a lot of views/feedback/etc. that way (I’m not sure if there’s a way to see the groups the story is in and I’m too tired to attempt to find out)}

9086865

I think I have it in all the groups I could post it in. Sadly it's just not the kind of story that garners a lot of attention. :ajsleepy:

9089550
That’s a shame because it’s a wonderful story. I could always try to add it to some of the groups I’m in. (That is, if you don’t mind) I would try to start a thread in the self-promotion group, but I suck at summary so I doubt it would help much :fluttershyouch:

9089767

You can do those things only if you want to. I won't ask you or anyone to do such a nice thing. :twilightblush:

Nice ART bruh! Oh, um...I don't have time to read the actual story yet LOL

9090366
Yeah the art is pretty awesome! You should read it when you get the chance, it’s a great fic ^-^

9090461
KK :3

Edit: Your profile page says that: "Am I the only one who follows someone if they have a have a cool profile pic like “yo your pic is awesome *follows;*"" I do the same thing LOL.

9098904
lol glad to know I’m not the only one 😂

I'm not to great at complimenting people for their work, but uh, I really love this story. I find it to be just perfect in every way, even though I'm no writer so I can't name the areas you are doing so well in. I think it's called pacing or something.
What I'm trying to say is: this is amazing. You're amazing. And quite frankly, I hope for more chapters soon, since I am finding it difficult to put this down, and I'll be done reading all of what you've written by the end of the day.

9089550
Perhaps you could recommend the fic to a YouTuber like Scribbler who makes audio recordings of fics. It would certainly attract the attention you're looking to achieve
I agree with Meadow Feather.

9139437

I really appreciate the feedback! It makes me feel better about writing it, and now that more than one person has essentially said the same thing, I know I'm doing the story right, too. Thanks again, and I hope to keep you entertained!

Blue knew this was coming. But what he didn't know is how to respond without making things awkward or scaring her off. A stallion couldn't help who he found attractive. That's just how nature worked. "I... think pretty much the same thing, honestly... although I'd add that you're very... pretty."

Fluttershy flushed lightly. "Pretty...? But... I'm disgusting right now... I smell and I'm filthy..." She peered up at him. "Why do you think that?"

Blue felt sweat forming on his brow as his heart rate increased. This wasn't the topic he wanted to delve headfirst into right now. "You're just... a pretty mare. I think you're pretty, is all."

Fluttershy gave an inscrutable little smile. The pink color in her cheeks remained. "Thanks... That's sweet of you to say..."

The shipping train is slowly commencing:ajsmug:.

Around the caboose were dozens of hoofprints in the melted down snow, especially around the door.

What:rainbowhuh:?

"What the..." Blue stopped dead in his tracks and stared at the prints. "No..." Blue ran off towards the other train cars, his heart racing. No, no, no... he thought, hoping this wasn't real. This couldn't be. Not after everything they'd been through.

What's the matter Blue:applejackunsure:?

Blue ran to the front of the wreckage where the three bodies he knew should still be there were. All he found were hoofprints in the snow.

They were gone.

Wait...:rainbowderp:

Blue fell to his knees, his eyes welling up with warm tears that threatened to pour out over his cheeks. "Fluttershy... we're not getting rescued..." he said in disbelief, gawking at the hoofprints. His mind was a tumultuous mess of thoughts now. He couldn't comprehend something like this happening.

Don't tell me...:twilightoops:.

"Fluttershy," Blue whispered, a tear finally rolling down over his cheek as he took a shakey breath. "We're not getting rescued because they've already been here. We were too late."

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Yas one of my favorite Fics updated!!! *does happy dance* I want to just sit and gush about this chapter but I really need to get to bed so I’ll try to keep it short.

1. My shipper heart is about to burst. Hhnng
2. I wonder if the wolf-thing will make a reappearance (I doubt it, but ehh *shrugs*)
3. NO! They did NOT come through while our little survivalists were off.. surviving. Gosh dang it :fluttercry:

Welp that’s about all I can think of in my half consciencesness. Keep up the great work dandy! :heart:

Edit: WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH don’t tell me I haven’t upvoted this?! What? :pinkiegasp: smashes button there that’ll fix that!

9164473

I'm so glad you're still enjoying it. I will be trying to update this more often. :scootangel:

9164497

I will be trying to update this more often.

those words are like music to my ears :yay:

Ooooh man, first you throw the train over, then you send them over a cliff, then a waterfall, and now you hang US over a cliff?

I love this story! :heart:

9179648

I'm so very glad you're enjoying it. :heart:

9210844

Thanks again, friend! :twilightsheepish: I greatly enjoyed your review and will most certainly take your suggestions for what they are worth. :twilightsmile:

Thank you for the story! I really like it!

Imho it’s very good that you do not go into much survival details like how to they sleep in the cave (they would probably have to make some insulation, it would nit be possible to sleep on the floor), situation with water, etc. The story is centered on characters in survival situation, not survival itself. And I like it about it. But still there were few inconsistencies I found while reading (or ate least they look like it, not being addressed by the story), so pointing them out as asked:

  • Window. In the second chapter while in caboose “Blue looked out the window.”. They are making use of windows in caboose regularly while the windows should have shattered in the fall and the first thing they would do is to close them with some rags or anything to protect from the cold. If he is looking by shifting a bit or opening whatever was used to board the windows temporary – it would be nice to mention. While reading I was thinking "how did that glass survive the fall? and if there was no glass – how did not they freeze to death the first night?".
  • Bodies. They have a mental breakdown about the death of stallion with head injury but not even once the situation with other deaths is touched. In the chapter five they mention bodies, but never ever discuss them during the story. It’s strange to see them never bringing up all other’s passengers deaths, and looking to the bodies as to the furniture or landscape. They did not see many deaths before; you would expect at least a few conversations about the people they were riding together who did not make it. Also the question of not even trying to bury or at least cover with something the dead is not addressed. They definitely had time.
  • Blankets. In the chapter two after the fall – they have only one small blanket, which was the reason of them sharing it and sleeping together. In the next chapter they suddenly have multiple blankets and can sleep separately. Also I would want to add that they should have extremely warm blankets (magic?) or a lot of them to be able to sleep the first few nights in caboose without fire.
  • Rescuers. Our heroes found their own hoofprints when they got back. If the hoofprints were there – it would be the first thing telling the rescue team that there is someone out there and where to look. The second would be the remnants of their stay in caboose. In any case if there are confirmed survivors – there would be a search campaign. And as soon as list of the passengers is known and Fluttershy is there in the list – there will be a huge search campaign. This is something that needs to be addressed I think - to explain why is noone waiting for them and why is there no search campain.

Also need to add the same as Paul mentioned in his review – switching pow to beast hurts the story. The story is told from perspective of our two survivors and adding the third one just kind of messed up the experince from that part for me.

But nevertheless the story is nice and interesting, and I definitely look forward to the next chapters. Thanks again for bringing it to us :)

9230505

I thank you for your time reading and reviewing my story! Any and all criticism is appreciated and I always take it into account when writing! I must say that yours is pretty detailed and overwhelming so I will reply to your finds one-by-one (NOTE: Keep in mind this story has no editor. I do it all by myself and on a phone which greatly reduces my ability to edit accurately):

Caboose windows Yes, the train suffered heavy damage in the fall, but not all the cars rolled over. The idea was that the only reason the caboose remined (mostly) intact was due to the fact that it slid down the mountain instead of rolling, meaning the windows were not broken out during the crash. I suppose this isn't clear in the story and I will likely edit that in the first chapter to clarify for anyone else who might have had the same thoughts. :twilightsheepish:

Bodies I honestly don't have a very good excuse for this. I was more trying to deviate away from those and focus more on the survival aspects of the story, but I suppose that mental effects are part of the survival aspects. I will be looking for a good place to insert a couple paragraphs involving this topic.

Blankets If I'm not mistaken, I did say they had only one blanket to cover up with, not just one blanket altogether. They had two, and one needed to be used as ground cover to lay on. Later, for the sake of personal space, they decide to just use both blankets for cover. For future reference though, I might do some editing to these two parts so as to clear up any confusion that might arise.

Rescuers It is good you point out that the rescuers should've sent out a search party. I was hoping readers would notice that. The thing is, that is a plot point that I cannot yet discuss, not an error. If you so choose to continue reading, you will eventually see what I mean. :raritywink:

POV change Two POVs are hard to follow, but interesting. This is true. Introducing the predator's POV was an age-old form (in Hollywood movies, at least) of foreshadowing. Things that we as readers see and fear, but our poor heroine and hero cannot. The ultimate form of suspense is knowing what the characters do not and being unable to tell them of impending danger. This type of foreshadowing is not everyone's cup of tea, I understand, but in my honest opinion, it fits well in this particular story due to it being an important part of the plot.


I thank you again for your time and hope you keep up with this story as it updates!

9233314
Thank you for the answers!

Few more comments:
Caboose - here are two phrases which made me think it was damaged enogh for windows to shatter: "running them to the caboose and setting them just inside the twisted entry"; "The caboose was moderately damaged, but had hardly any holes from the fall.".
I assumed that this train was not the kind of modern trains with reinforced windows but more like trains in 50s-70s with usual glass. In that case even smallest change of geometry (stretch, twist) - will cause windows to shatter. And in case if it fell and had enough damage to twist entry - I expected that there will be holes with shards, no single intact glass window; no normal glass windows would stay whole in such scenario (unless magic of course).

Blankets - this one: "She sighed resignedly. "Then what do you suppose we do, since this is the only blanket we have?"". Probably needs to be corrected. Though I personally like the idea with one blanket :) As an idea - you might tell that they were too tired to prepare any insulation except sleep on the second blanket (though those blankets do have to contain a spell or two to be able to sleep like that). And the next day - they could cover the floor with few inches of some insulation (branches, leaves, bush or whatever grows there), sleeping on such bed could be extremely uncomfortable though if you do not know how to prepare it.

POV change - that's just imho in this case. I when I was reading I was basically skipping these parts - it was just too direct and too holywood-style (oh, this thing will confront/attack them in short time) and, well, I care about our heroes, but I do not care about the beast. I do not pretend to suggest you to edit it out, just wanted to add that I got the same impression as Paul - that the story would be better without it. Finding that pawprint would be more than enough for me to understand that something is wrong, very wrong, while leaving it up to the reader to fantasize about possibilities.

Rescuers - Oh, so I was thinking in the right direction. :)

" If you so choose to continue reading, you will eventually see what I mean." - definitely :)

Decent premise.

Let's check this out.

"Blue..." Fluttershy sighed, moving over beside him. "I know you're upset, and so am I, but we can't just sit here and... grieve. We have to get up and keep fighting. We can't give up this easily..."

No, no you can't:applecry:!

"...And that was honestly the only time I'd ever been frightened by an animal," Fluttershy finished her short story. She smiled over at Blue. "What about you? Has a regular animal ever scared you?"

Blue sniffled and rubbed his nose. It was running due to the cold, but the fire was helping him warm up. "Many animals, Fluttershy. Many animals..."

Fluttershy cocked her head to the side and frowned. "Like what?"

Blue cringed. He didn't want to tell her, but the truth was the truth. "Uh... well, when I was a colt, I got scared by... a..."

Fluttershy watched curiously, giving him a little nod to continue.

"I got... scared by a butterfly..."

Oh wow, a butterfly:rainbowlaugh:! Then again, considering the age he was at, its understandable why he was scared:twilightsmile:.

"Exactly how I figured you'd react. Most ponies do," Blue admitted with a shrug, "but when you're only five and you watch a crinkled up butterfly emerge from a cocoon, it's pretty terrifying."

Eeyup, it really is:eeyup:.

"A really big catfish," Blue replied. "My dad had caught it on a fishing trip down at the river we lived by during most of my colthood. The thing was almost as big as me. And, well, my dad had told me those things had spiny fins and one that big could easily spear a big hole in me, so as soon as he pulled it up, I screamed like a filly and took off."

I bet any kid would be scared of that:rainbowlaugh:!

Fluttershy drew a sharp breath through her teeth and let it out with a heavy sigh. "Well, I typically don't date..."

For obvious reasons:applejackunsure:.

"Don't get me wrong... I've been asked out before..." Fluttershy stared down at the floor. "But it's been awhile. Everypony knows not to ask me because I can't find the courage to say yes..."

Understandable...it's hard for shy folks to do that a lot of times:pinkiesmile:.

"Of course I do..." Fluttershy was almost completely covered in her blanket now. Blue could only see her eyes. "I just can't work up the courage to..."

Gotta conquer that inner fear girl:rainbowdetermined2:!

"Cool. I promise I'll try my best. I just want to help you out a bit, okay? I feel like a mare like you deserves to be with somepony that cares about you and wants nothing but to make you happy every day and appreciates you for who you - " Blue realized he was expressing his own feelings and stopped himself short. "I, uh, think I'll start with your shyness."

Awww, why'd you stop there:pinkiesad2:? You were doing so well Blue:scootangel:!

Blue set the book down and stood up. "That's it. I'm gonna just tell her. I'm gonna tell her when she gets back in and -"

Hopefully not screw it up:ajsmug:.

A bloodcurdling scream cut him off.

Fluttershy's scream.

"Fluttershy!" Blue hollered, racing out of the caboose and into the storm. Fluttershy appeared from the whiteness and ran smack into him, causing them to both collapse in a heap, her on top of him.

"Blue! Blue it's here!" Fluttershy cried frantically and stood up quickly, yanking him to his hooves.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa... what's here?"

A monstrous roar echoed through the snow-filled air, sending chills up Blue's spine. That was his answer.

Oh no, not again:twilightoops:!!!

"No!" Blue cried out in fear and frustration. How did it find them?

RUN!!!

"Blue that's not going to stop it! I don't want to die Blue... I don't want to die!" Fluttershy clung to him and whimpered, tears rolling down her cheeks.

Oh Flutters:applecry:...

"We're aren't going to die, Sweetie. I promise." Blue's heart raced as he searched the room for a weapon. For anything at all they could use to defend themselves. Fluttershy was right -- the door would not hold back that monster. The caboose would be like a tin can, with them the food within.

Oh, I saw what he said:pinkiehappy:!

Undaunted, but internally contemplating the stupidity of his actions, he forced the flaming weapon into to face of the beast, which howled in agony and drew back sharply, rocking the caboose.

Nice:rainbowdetermined2:!

The colossal carnivore spun away and roared, lumbering off into the woods, disappearing moments later. Its pained howls could be heard for the next few minutes as it faded into the sounds of the winter storm.

Thank Celestia...:ajsleepy:.

"I can't imagine what would happen to me if I lost you," Blue said serenely. "I don't think I could go on." He continued to hold her close, feeling her rapid heartbeat on his chest. He was sure she could feel his, as well.

Awww, Blue~:heart:!

"Blue, don't talk like that," she quietly chastised him. "You'd do just fine. You're smart and strong. You'd find a way to get out of this."

Not without you:ajsmug:.

"Fluttershy, I..." he fell silent, unsure how to proceed with what he so badly wanted to say. He'd confessed feelings to many mares in the past, so why was this any different? "I... I really care about you. I know we haven't known each other long, but I feel like we've become great friends. Like we can share the most personal details about our lives and be completely comfortable with it. And honestly I couldn't go one without you. If something happened to you and I was left alone, well... I'd be devastated."

Many others can relate Blue...many others can relate:ajsleepy::pinkiesad2:.

Fluttershy nodded, giving him a pleasant, understanding smile. "I know Blue. You're very sweet... but you could go on. You don't need me."

Not true:twilightangry2:!

"That's wrong," Blue replied assuredly. "Very wrong. The truth is..." He sighed. "The truth is... I..." The words would just not come. He stared nervously into her curious eyes and swallowed the stone in his throat. "Fluttershy, I think I'm falling in love with you..." He immediately turned away, hoping to avoid the disproving eyes that were surely staring him down.

YAY, HE SAID IT:heart:!!! THE SHIPPING BOAT HAS SAILED:heart:!!!

"Blue," she whispered softly, "there's nothing wrong with feelings. We've been pitted against this wasteland alone and we've been through some tough times. But we've learned to rely on each other, and I think I understand what you mean when you say you can't go on without me. You're right... we probably both couldn't go on without the other. And I guess feelings play into this a bit, too..." She pulled him into another embrace, burying her face into his neck. "My point is... I really like you too, Blue..."

:rainbowkiss::heart::rainbowkiss::heart::rainbowkiss::heart:!!!

"So um..." Blue started. "What does this mean?"

Fluttershy cocked her head to the side. "What does what mean?"

"What does... us admitting care about each other mean?"

"What do you want it to mean?" Fluttershy asked, averting her eyes, flushing a light pink.

"I..." Blue thought for a moment. "I don't know..."

Fluttershy leaned forward and pecked him on the cheek. It wasn't much, but Blue felt his heart soar.

Yes! let your hear soar Blue:rainbowdetermined2::heart:!!! LET IT SOAR LIKE THE WINGS OF AN EAGLE🦅!!!

"No more going alone. Anywhere," Blue said. "I know it's going to be hard to... do certain things with me present, but honestly a little embarrassment is not going to kill anypony. That thing ... that thing will."

As if it didn't try just several minutes ago:twilightoops:!

Fluttershy curled up under the covers and Blue slipped under beside her. She nuzzled up to him as he laid a foreleg over her to pull her close.

"Just keeping you warm," Blue said with a nervous laugh.

"I'm okay with that..." Fluttershy blushed, returning the smile.

"Goodnight, Shy. See you in the morning."

'Goodnight Blue..."

Sleep found them soon after.

These two are gonna be just fine:ajsmug:.

Wow...another great chapter there Dandy! Great to see you back in business buddy:scootangel:!

9341357

I do hope you find some enjoyment in it. :pinkiesmile:

9341495

Very glad you're still enjoying it! And I'm also glad to have finally gotten to update this. It needed it.

IM LATE!!!! IM LATE FOR A VERY IMPORTANT DATE!

This is almost like an early Christmas present for my since I’m reading it the day before Christmas Eve :raritystarry: and my shipper heart is absolutely jumping for joy! Great chapter Dandy! :yay:

9363347

I'm super thrilled that you're still enjoying the story!

Hay there I just wanted to say you are really good and got me hocked I don't read much with beath in it but your story give just enough for me to read it so keep it up also out of boredom I am keeping goo track of the time left sense the title is 366 hours I figure you are trying to hit that point so I got curious as I read up to this chapter how much time is left and they have like 4 days and 5 hours (101 hours) left when last hour mark was said. Other than that keep up the good work and can't wait for the next chapter

Login or register to comment