• Published 1st Apr 2020
  • 1,319 Views, 32 Comments

The Bastion Gambit - Smug Anime Girl



An Equestrian attack submarine is ordered to hunt and kill a Changeling naval task force in the frigid north.

  • ...
7
 32
 1,319

Scrapbook

"Conn, sonar: contact Sierra 1 is classified as Brummer class helicopter carrier."

"Conn, sonar: lost contact Gemini II, last bearing 318, contact faded."

"The first weapon has found a target but we have no contact."

"Conn, sonar: noisemaker, bearing 327. Lost contact Brummer, last bearing 338, contact faded."

"Launch transient from bearing 294."

"We're in the presence of wolves."

"Conn, sonar: launch transient, enemy has shot a Jackdevil!"

"...with torpedoes coming in from two different angles, there wasn't much they could do."

"Las Pegasus jinked and flicked her tail like a matador, sending both torpedoes spiraling away."

"Las Pegasus chittered her message on the active array to the Sigma. After a short pause, the bigger submarine sent back, '⋅- --⋅ ⋅-⋅ ⋅ ⋅ ⋅⋅'."

"Conn, sonar: new contact bearing 93, designate Sierra 1. Sierra 1 is classified as Orion IV attack boat."

"Heh, Las Pegasus is hiding in the wreck of the Brummer."

"The Equestrian submarine charged past at about 30 knots, and then turned back around the Donnager. Donnager tried to turn out of the torpedo's way and force it to lock back onto the Las Pegasus, but the pony vessel had shaken a knuckle on her aft."

Comments ( 29 )

Cold Waters, huh?

What's with all the (S)s in the synopsis?

10159880
"Secret"
Each paragraph is marked in shorthand.

That makes sense, and is likely what a real message would do. However, if every paragraph is only Secret, I'm not sure why the author made the message overall Top Secret.

10159890
I dunno, just following USN protocol

A submarine story with ponies, huh?

Eh, I'll give it a read.

10160097

There are a lot of references to some popular submarine movies in the story, let's see how many you can pick out and from which movies.

An' thanks

10159862
Ah, a fellow man of culture

10160304
Soviets: Think Able Archer was real
NATO: Bro wtf it was a prank bro

10160320
NATO nuclear drill in the 80s
Ruskies took it as an actual nuclear attack and almost started World War III

10160339
It was just a prank bro wtf you didn't have to do that you know. Totally uncool thing to do. I thought we were cool, least kinda.

Hey, if this is for the contest, you may want to put it in the contest folder. I'm not sure if the judges will rate this if this isn't there.

10160527
I left it under wartime, is it supposed to be in the main folder?

10160892
I'm not sure if I understood the question correctly, but if the story is set during the war, it's ok to keep it in the wartime folder. I don't think there's really a main folder.

10160903
Well I added it to it either way, thanks

This better rank high up there in the contest.

Good shit, my dude.

10161204
Thanks, but I can't be sure that it will; it might be a bit arrogant of me to expect to place anywhere on my first attempt on an alternate universe I have almost no knowledge about

10161215
It's more original and plausible than most stories submitted so far, so you've got people beat there :twilightsmile:

10161279
🤔
I should read the other submissions

This was really good actually, keep it up! Would love to see this story expanded upon.

10164888
Huh, thanks :twilightsmile:
We'll see how it goes, I might do more for further contests.

Christ, now this is a bloody good story.

Loved the references to 'The Red October' (it's one of my favourite movies). Fantastic!

10167048
Idk what else to say other than thanks now :/

Two hundred nine groups!? Some of them don't even look relevant.

10176273
Did you actually take the time to look through lol

Hey there. This was reviewed here. Thanks for picking me as a reviewer, and I hope you find what I have to say useful. Deuces!

10184607
You madlad, you actually did it

"CONN, SONAR, LAUNCH TRANSIENT, BEARING TWO, ONE, SIX. SUPER-CAVITATION SIGNATURE DET- 'FOG' FAST TORPEDO! FAST TORPEDO IN THE WATER!"

Login or register to comment