• Published 24th Dec 2011
  • 18,526 Views, 323 Comments

Loss - Pwnyta



The Mane 6 find themselves suddenly down to five. How will the girls be able to cope their loss?

  • ...
12
 323
 18,526

Chapter 7: Life

Chapter 7: Life

A sudden jolt scared the pegasus awake. Her mind raced trying to figure out what was going on, but blackness was all Fluttershy could see. What a horrible nightmare she thought to herself. The whole situation was just something she conjured up in her sleep. She attempted to sit up, but her body disobeyed. No matter how much she willed it, not a single part of her would move. That’s odd she thought with some concern. Fluttershy then realized what the blackness was. It wasn’t night time, she still had her eyes closed. The pegasus tried to open her eyes, but it was as if someone had glued them shut. She dedicated all the energy she could towards the small movement, but to no avail. The pegasus started to panic in her mind. Something was wrong, she knew it, but she wasn’t sure what.

“Nurse, quickly,” she heard a voice in the distance say. Fluttershy strained her ears to listen the best she could. “Pull that pump out! We have to get her intubated as fast as we can,” the mysterious male voice finished. The animal caretaker felt an unbearable burning sensation in her stomach. Her mind went numb from the pain as she could practically hear herself scream. But she knew the reaction was all in her mind. W-what’s going on? She thought as the sensation subsided. After a few moments, the burning pain returned, this time burying itself in her chest.

“There. We can try and counteract whatever has happened through injection. If she crashes again, I’m not sure we can bring her back,” she heard the male voice say.

Oh my… crash? Was I in an accident? Fluttershy thought to herself. She wracked her mind for any memory of what had happened as far as she could remember.

“Doctor, isn’t there a chance that this could interact with whatever else she has ingested?” a younger mare voice asked. Fluttershy could feel her mind begin to piece it all together. It came back to her in flashes. How upset she was about Rarity’s death. How she had avoided going into town. How she had wanted to put an end to how upset she was. How she released Angel and began ignoring the other animals. Finally, the day she finally worked up the mindset to actually commit the act. Twilight and Applejack’s visit had interrupted her, but she escaped from her friends to return to her room, swallowing a hoof-full of various medications she used to give to birds, beavers, rabbits, turtles, chickens, and any other animals who wandered into her care. She remembered collapsing, hearing her friends in their panic, and the bumpy ride all the way to the hospital.

“Yes, but that’s a risk we have to take. If she crashes again, I’m not entirely sure we can bring her back. We have to try and counteract the drugs she has already absorbed,” she heard the male voice reply. Her mind went silent as she tried to process the information.

I-I guess I did it… Oh Fluttershy, you’re such a dummy, she thought finally, mentally scolding herself. Those poor ponies are trying to save to me from something I did to myself… I-I don’t deserve that… Her thoughts turned to her friends. What would they think? If these ponies helped her, would they even want to be her friends anymore? Fluttershy could feel the cold wave of the depression starting to sweep over her mind again. I.. I don't deserve any of this...

A loud series of beeps filled the room. Their deafening wails broke the doctor's concentration as he glared at the machine. "She's crashing again! Nurse! The paddles! Quickly!" he yelled out to his assistant.

Oh... my... thought the pegasus. Her mind began to relax a bit as her thoughts became clouded. Memories running through her head jumbled together, losing any focus they had at all. Her final thought turned to Rarity, as she pictured a smile across the dressmaker's face before her mind finally went blank.

~`~`~`~`~

The air in the waiting room hung thick and sterile. Air condition units could be heard kicking on in a vain attempt to circulate the sickening air. The hum of the units was the only thing that broke the silence. The orange cowmare shuddered as she felt the cool air blow against her fur. She stared at the floor with blank eyes, unable to comprehend what she had just gone through. Applejack rubbed at her eyes, hoping the action would awaken her from a terrible dream and that none of this was really happening. But as her vision cleared, she was greeted to the same view of the floor.

The cowmare looked up at the pegasus sitting across from her. She had to credit her winged friend for being the reason she made it here with any chance to save Fluttershy at all. Had Rainbow Dash not looked to the ground in the middle of her routine flight, Applejack might have been still fighting through the crowd at the town square. The rainbow-maned pegasus had spotted them and had flown in front of the cowmare, clearing a path for her to run through. Applejack felt herself shudder again as she wondered what would have happened had she not made it to the hospital as quickly as she did.

Ever since then, the wait had been nerve-wrecking and strenuous. Every minute that passed by without a doctor appearing through the doors to the emergency room made the pit in the orange pony’s stomach grow larger. Her thoughts turned to Twilight. She had left the unicorn by herself at Fluttershy’s cottage. She adjusted uneasily in her seat as she remembered the state she had left the librarian in. It had been nearly an hour since the incident and the lavender mare was nowhere to be seen in the hospital.

Applejack wondered if she should have gone back to Twilight once she had gotten Fluttershy here, but she shook the thought from her head. She wanted to be here to know how her timid pegasus friend was doing, and by leaving, she was risking not knowing until somepony else told her. She wanted to avoid another situation where she found out too late about the fate of a friend. I sure hope you’re alright, Twi, she thought, hoping that the thought would magically make its way to her unicorn friend.

The sound of creaky hinges snapped the mare out of her thoughts. She looked over towards the double doors to see the doctors. In one quick motion, she shook Rainbow Dash and galloped up in front of the doctor.

“Is she okay doc? She’s okay, right?” she asked frantically. The doctor gave a look to both of the mares standing before him. After a second to think about how he should break the news, he sighed.

“The good news is that she is alive,” he began slowly, as he quickly sifted through which details he felt were necessary to tell the friends in his mind. “The medications she took would have been somewhat harmless on their own, but together, they interacted with each other, which resulted in her collapse. Luckily, we were able to identify and counteract every medication she had ingested,” he explained, a small smile crossing his face for a second before he gave the friends each a stern glance. Despite trying to remain as neutral looking as he could, a sorrowful look betrayed his eyes. The earth pony and the pegasus both gave each other a worried glance before facing the doctor once more.

“Something bad happened, though, didn’t it? Doctor what happened? What’s wrong with her?” Rainbow Dash pressed, stepping forward a bit. The doctor let out another sad sigh. He decided it was best to give the mares the full, honest truth about their friend.

“The procedure didn’t go too smoothly. She crashed several times, and each time it was harder to bring her back. We fear that because the medication she ingested was interacting, the medications we gave her possibly interacted as well. While their interactions aren’t nearly as dangerous or fatal as the drugs she took herself, her body can’t handle that many chemicals at the same time, and several of her systems might have been weakened, damaged, or completely shut down. She went comatose near the end of the procedure. We aren’t sure how long she will remain that way, but if it’s for longer than a few days, she may not wake up at all. If she crashes at all while she’s in this state, I’m not entirely sure we could save her either,” he finished explaining.

Both mares that stood before him had a sheen of tears beginning to fill their eyes. Neither of them asked him any questions or acknowledged what he told them. The news was upsetting, but he knew they deserved to know. He let out yet another sigh and put a hoof on each one of the mare’s shoulders. “If it hadn’t been for her friends being able to get her here so quickly, we may be having a completely different conversation right now. You two did a great thing for your friend. You gave her a chance to live. Now it’s up to her to seize that chance,” he said to them in a reassuring tone. “If anything happens to her, good or bad, I’ll make sure you two are the first to know,” he finished. Both of the mares nodded slowly. Neither of them were able to lift their heads high enough to look him in the eye. He took the notion as his cue to leave. He pushed the door open and walked back into the emergency room, leaving the two mares to their thoughts.

Applejack could feel her legs quivering. She felt as if she would collapse at any moment. She turned her head to the pegasus beside her, noticing her jaw hanging open. “D-does that mean…” Rainbow Dash started to say, before finding herself at a loss of words as she began to sob. The cowmare watched as tears rolled down the cheeks of her rainbow-maned friend.

“I don’t know Rainbow… I reckon that we’ll find out soon, though,” Applejack said as she brought her friend into a tight embrace as she joined her in sobbing.

~`~`~`~`~

The pegasus moaned a bit as she stirred awake. A fog veiled her thoughts as she brought a hoof up to her head and rubbed at her temple. She slowly opened her eyes, the penetrating light stinging a bit. Hey… wait a second… she thought to herself as she blinked a few times, looking down at her forelegs. Her heart filled with joy as she realized she was able to move and see again. She reached a hoof up to her mane and pulled it forward, studying the bright pink color to confirm that she wasn’t dreaming. The hairs fell loosely through her relaxed grip as she ran her hoof downwards. She could feel a smile form across her face as she felt a warm rush of relief run over her body.

Fluttershy slowly stood up, her legs a little shaky, but otherwise able to hold her own weight. She looked back at her torso and extended her wings, checking to make sure they were still functional. After a few flaps, she was satisfied with the state they were in. She folded them back in and looked forward. She felt her eyebrows rise and her eyes widen as she took in the view of the scenery.

There was nothing but white as far as the pegasus could see. It was as if snow had fallen and buried everything around her, yet she didn’t feel cold. She looked down at the ground, confused at the solid state it was in. If this is snow… it’s the warmest and most solid snow I’ve ever been in… the yellow pegasus thought to herself in her confusion. She turned in a circle, confirming the same scenery in all directions. It gave her the sense of nothingness in the world. There were no buildings, no hills, no roads, and certainly nopony around as far as she could she.

Fluttershy spread her wings and kicked off the ground, flapping them a few times to propel her upwards into the sky. After a few quick seconds, she stopped and hovered, looking around off into the distance around her. The entire area seemed to be devoid of any other life as far as she could see. Her mind began to run wild with ideas of where she was or how she got there as she began to slowly descend downwards, landing with a soft thump of her hooves. She lowered her head towards the ground, a look of worry crossing her face.

“Um… Hello? Is anypony out there?” She quietly said, shifting her eyes from side to side across the landscape. All of the joy she had felt just moments ago seemed to have disappeared. After a few seconds, the pegasus started walking forward. She began to scan from side to side, hoping that the further forward she moved, the more the scenery would become familiar, or anything would appear at all. As she did so, she noticed a small break in the consistent white flow off in the distance. The figure was rather small, but it seemed to be moving forward towards her as well. Fluttershy picked up her pace to a quick trot.

“Hello? Um… can you tell me where I am?” she called out to the figure in the distance. She squinted as she got closer, trying to make out what the figure was. It was definitely somepony, but she wasn’t quite sure who. The pony seemed to have a white coat that almost blended in with the surrounding scenery, and a deep purple mane and tail. The mane was curled in a fashion that was rather familiar to the yellow pegasus. One she seemed to recognize almost instantly.

Fluttershy’s eyes widened as she let out a gasp, breaking into a full gallop towards the other pony approaching her. She was almost sure she knew who it was. The timid pegasus practically threw herself at the mystery pony, wrapping her forelegs around the white-furred neck.

“Rarity!” She yelled out as she felt tears begin to well up into her eyes out of the joy of seeing her lost friend. She tightened her embrace as if she was never going to let go of her friend. She felt a hoof pat her on the back and run through her mane.

“Oh my, darling, I know you miss me, but you’re going to choke me if you squeeze any tighter,” the dressmaker replied with a small laugh. The two ponies broke the embrace and Fluttershy took a few steps back, smiling at the sight of her friend.

“I… um… never thought I would g-get to… see you again,” the pegasus said, her nervous joy coming through in her voice. “If you don’t mind me asking… where are we?” she asked, looking around once again.

Rarity simply smiled a bit before her expression became serious. “Unfortunately, we don’t get very long here together,” the dressmaker replied. “You have an important decision to make, dear. Whichever path you choose will lead you out of this place,” she explained. Fluttershy felt her eyes widen at the explanation.

“But… um… does that mean I’m…” she stuttered. Rarity shook her head as if she knew what the pegasus was thinking.

“Oh, no no no my dear. You aren’t dead. Far from it right now, actually,” she said in a lighthearted tone. “But you do have to make that choice. You see, Fluttershy, you are sort of in a dream. This isn’t a normal dream, though, dear. In here, your decision can affect your life,” she explained. The pegaus stood there shocked, a confused expression across her face. Rarity gave her a stern look.

“Now I must say first, I am extremely disappointed seeing you here, Fluttershy. I expected better of you. With friends like ours, how could you even think of doing something like this to yourself?” the dressmaker scolded her friend.

Fluttershy cowered down towards the ground. Her other friends hadn’t crossed her mind until just then. She wondered what they were doing, if they even cared about her right now. She felt a pit in her stomach as she began to wonder if they were mad at her or if they would even want to be her friend anymore.

“I-I’m sorry…” the pegasus whispered, whimpering a bit.

“It’s water under the bridge now, my dear. What you have to figure out now is what you want from yourself. That is why you are here,” Rarity finished explaining. She stepped forward towards Fluttershy and wrapped her forelegs around her. “It was very good seeing you again, but you have a decision to make. I hope that you make the right one,” she said. Rarity broke the hug off and stepped back. “I must be going now, I was here to simply deliver a message. See you soon, darling!” she finished, and with that, the dressmaker turned around and galloped off into the distance.

The pegasus watched her unicorn friend run off until she couldn’t make out her figure anymore before she looked at the ground. “I have been a rather horrible friend… maybe this is for the best,” she said to herself. She put her head down between her forelegs and closed her eyes, crying a bit. “Oh Fluttershy, you’re such a dummy… You don’t deserve friends like the ones you have. You’re lucky they’ve dealt with your antics for so long,” she continued to tell herself. Her eyes slowly opened as she let the words process in her mind.

I am quite lucky… to have my friends, that is she thought to herself. She stood herself up and looked around the vast open space once again. My friends have been able to help me through a lot of things… why would this be any different? I want to see my friends again. A determined look crossed the pegasus’ face. She began to gallop in the direction she was facing, hoping to find an exit. “There has to be a way out… I want to see them again… That is… I want to still be alive!” she said aloud to herself. As if those were some sort of magical words, the pegasus suddenly felt herself get extremely drowsy. She slowed to a trot before stopping her walking altogether. She blinked a few times as her vision narrowed before she finally gave in to herself and collapsed onto the ground.

~`~`~`~`~

The pegasus moaned a bit as she slowly opened her eyes. The light blinded her as she attempted to blink her vision back, before raising a hoof up to her eyes and rubbing. As everything came back into focus, she noticed she was surrounded by four ponies. One was a stallion, who was frantically checking monitors. The other three were extremely familiar shades of orange, pink, and blue. The orange mare with the blond mane smiled at her.

“Welcome back, sugarcube,” she said softly, as joyful tears welled up into her eyes. Applejack lifted her hoof and placed it on the hoof of her yellow pegasus friend.

The pink earth pony stepped forward and wrapped her hooves around the neck of the bedridden pegasus. “Oh my gosh! I knew you would wake up. The doctors were all worried but I just knew you would, Fluttershy! I should be a doctor! I can guess these things better than they can! Oh, that reminds me, we just have to celebrate thi-” Pinkie Pie stammered before being cut off with a hoof to the mouth by Rainbow Dash. The blue pegasus stepped forward, pushing the pink party pony back a bit.

“Calm down there, Pinkie. She just woke up,” she said simply, smiling at her fellow pegasus. “Glad to see you again.”

Fluttershy felt her eyes fill up with tears at the sight of her friends. “Oh… thank goodness… I was worried that you all hated me… that is… you all wouldn’t want to be my… um… friend,” she said after coughing a bit. The trio shook their heads simultaneously.

“Of course we want to be your friends, sugar,” Applejack said.

“Yeah! Are you crazy? Sleeping that long must have made you crazy if you think we wouldn’t want to be your friends,” Pinkie Pie added. The yellow pegasus gave a warm smile, the first that had crossed her face since the funeral. But it was quickly overtaken by a concerned look as she surveyed the room.

“Um… thank you all… but… I was just wondering… where’s Twilight?” she asked. The other three mares gave each other a look of deep concern. After a second, Applejack spoke up.

“Y’see, that’s something we’ll tell you when you’re feeling a little better,” she said, unsure of how to address the situation. A pit began to form in the pegasus’ stomach as the words of her friend ran through her mind.