• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 13,574 Views, 1,565 Comments

Tanks for the Memories - BillyMays



The crew of the Retribution II is accidently sent into another dimension, with Ponies?!

  • ...
85
 1,565
 13,574

Something Big

“Come on, load that damned gear already. We need to get out of this forest.”

Sgt. Adam grunted as he hefted an MG3 and carried it across to Old Tom. Other crewmen were loading boxes of ammunition and other supplies; Food, spare uniforms, rifles, etc.

“This is going slowly.” Alex said as he lifted an eskie. “Ironluck! Aren’t you going to help out?”

Ironluck and Pathfinder were idly chatting away in the sidelines.

“Oh yeah.” Ironluck said sheepishly. Her horn started to glow. Alex saw this, dropped the eskie and raised his M4.

“WAIT!” Fluttershy squeaked from atop of the Retribution II.

Alex aimed his M4 at Ironluck but held his fire. “What is it?”

“She’s just helping.” At that the eskie was surrounded in a red glow and floated off towards Old Tom.

Alex lowered his M4 with a dumbstruck look on his face. “...What?”

Other crewmen paused to watch the eskie float past.

“What’s going on here?” Alex mumbled to himself.

Slinging his M4 he walked towards Ironluck who was watching the eskie go through the

passenger’s door.

“How are you doing that?” Alex asked.

“With my horn silly.” Ironluck said.

The last bundle of supplies glowed red and floated away. Ironluck giggled as Alex watched with a dumbstruck face.

“I’m going to check up on the Leopard. Staff Sergeant Daseal, I’ll be leaving you in charge. Tell me when you’re done here.”

“Yes, sir.” Staff Sergeant Daseal replied.

“Righto.” Ironluck said as she levitated a G36.

“Pass me that, ma’am.”

“You talking about this thing?” She spun the G36 around in the air.

“Yes.”

The G36 flew through the air and landed at Alex’s feet.

“Pathetic!” Alex yelled.

He picked up the G36 and examined it in his hands.

’Always loved the look of these rifles.’

Alex turned towards the Leopard 2 with the G36 in hand but was stopped by the sound of footsteps behind him. He turned to see Pathfinder walking gingerly behind him.

“Ma’am.” Alex nodded.

“Hello.” Pathfinder said.

“Since you’re here, do you mind if I ask you a few questions?”

“Uh sure.”

Alex motioned with his hand for her to walk next to him.

“Firstly; where did you find the Leopard?”

“We found it out here.”

“In this exact same spot?”

“Well Box has moved a little.”

“How much is ‘a little’?”

“A metre.”

“Alright. Secondly; this tank has a crew of four, where’d they go?

Pathfinder paused and looked up at Alex.

“I don’t know. We found Box by itself, nopony else was here.” She said.

“So the Leopard was just sitting there, loaded up with gear and the crew wasn’t there?”

“Yep.”

“Sorry if I find that hard to believe.”

“I’m just telling you what I know.”

Alex nodded. “Very well. Thirdly; how do you know how to drive it?”

“Well it took about a year to figure it all out, but we got it moving in the end, even if it was just a metre.”

Alex played that over in his mind again.

“Did you say ‘a year’? How long have you had it?”

“Hmmm, we found it about… two? Yeah. Two and a half years ago.”

Alex’s jaw fell open as he heard that. “Two and a half years ago?”

“Yup.”

“Ok. Well I wasn’t expecting that.” Alex said as he shook his head. “One other thing, can you even see out of those sunglasses?”

“Of course.”

“Do you mind if I move Box up with the rest of your tanks?”

Alex stood quietly for a moment.

“I don’t. Just watch what you’re doing.”

They quickly reached the Leopard and Alex boosted Pathfinder up onto the hull.

“Now, you’re sure you know what you’re doing? These things are not toys.”

“Jeez you sound like my dad. I know what I’m doing.” Pathfinder said as she somehow swung the drivers hatch open.

“Aren’t you a bit small to be driving that?” Alex stated.

“I’ve made a few adjustments.” Pathfinder said as she hopped into the driver’s seat.

“All units, just a quick heads up. The Leopard is starting up.” Alex said into his headset.

Alex walked to stand in front of the Leopard and gave a quick thumbs up. Pathfinder nodded and swung the drivers hatch closed. Alex walked to the front of the Leopard and banged the hull twice. He stepped back as the Leopards engine roared to life. Previously unseen wires along the hull began to glow in a light blue.

’Of course! Why didn’t I see this before?’

Alex threw his arms into the air and turned around in frustration.

’This is absolute bullshit! They knew about this!’

He turned back to the Leopard, took a deep breath, cleared his mind and motioned for it to move forward. The Leopard lurched forwards with a splutter of exhaust and flicked mud into the air.

’Well I’ll be damned. She can actually drive it.’

Alex waved the Leopard forward and it slowly followed him. He walked alongside the Leopard making sure that Pathfinder didn’t screw up. Luckily nothing went wrong and the Leopard reached the end of the convoy safely. The Leopard came to a stop and the engine died. Alex climbed onto the hull and banged the drivers hatch twice. It swung open to reveal a beaming pony.

“I told you I could drive it!” Pathfinder boasted.

“You’re full of it, you know?” Alex replied.

Pathfinder laughed and pulled herself out of the driver’s seat.

“Sir.”

Alex turned around to face the newcomer.

“Staff Sergeant?”

“We’ve finished moving the supplies into the back of Old Tom.”

“Excellent. Anything else to report?”

“We’re running low on ammunition, sir. We used up a lot of it on that purple pony.”

Alex sighed and peered over the shoulders of the Staff Sergeant to look at the LAV. An idea formed in his head and he looked back down to the G36 in his hands. He shoved the rifle into the Staff Sergeants hands.

“Distribute what G36 rifles we have amongst the men. Take any magazines from the previous weapon they had. Hand those few magazines out equally.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Pathfinder, stay with the tank for now.”

“Whatever.” She replied.

Before the Staff Sergeant left Alex grabbed the G36 out of his hands and gave him his

almost depleted M4 in return.

“I’ll take that back.”

The Staff Sergeant was about to say something but was interrupted by a yell.

“Sir! Sir!” An Australian crewmen yelled.

“What is it?” Alex yelled back.

“Something big is coming down the path!”

“Well if it isn’t one thing it’s another. Back to the tanks!” Alex bellowed across the clearing.

Rushed footsteps and clunks echoed through the forest as crewmen ran around. Alex and the Staff Sergeant ran back to their tanks.

“What’s going on?” Fluttershy asked as Alex approached the Retribution II.

“Something big is coming down the path!” He replied.

He climbed atop of the turret and quickly swung open the cupola. He was about to hop in when a very loud howl filled the forest.

’Not fucking good!’

Fluttershy whimpered and buried herself under her mane.

“Private make room, you’re going to squeeze in Fluttershy!”

“Uhh- Yes, sir!”

Fluttershy squeaked as she was hastily lifted by David and lowered into the loaders compartment. Alex quickly leaned over and closed the loaders hatch as they descended. He slid back down into the turret to find Roger looking at him with a pale face.

“Is there a problem?” Alex asked as he reached to close the cupola.

“That didn’t sound good, sir.” Roger said weakly.

“You don’t say? Corporal start her up.”

The engine whined and then roared to life the other tanks followed suit including the Leopard.

“What are they doing?” Alex asked himself as he craned his neck around to see the Leopard.

“All units form a line! Use of main cannons is authorized.” Alex ordered into the headset.

The Kangaroo revved her engine and parked to the left of the Retribution II, Old Tom reversed to the right side of the Retribution II. Alex eyed the Leopard; it sat still for a while and then it suddenly moved forward and stopped next to the Kangaroo. The line of tanks had their main guns facing the path, waiting for whatever it was to make an appearance.

“I don’t like this.” Roger whispered.

“Can’t say I like this either, Sergeant.”

The crack of a tree falling down made the Roger stiffen.

“Private, load a HEAT round!” Alex ordered.

There was a clank and a thud as the shell was loaded.

“Loaded!” David announced.

Movement further along the path caught Alex’s attention.

“You see that sir?” Roger asked.

“I saw it, I saw it. Keep your eyes open.” Alex replied.

A rumbling from above announced the presence of rainclouds. There was another rumble and it started to rain.

“Just what we need, more rain.” Alex said.

There was a crack of lightning and the forest was lit up. Alex thought he saw what appeared to be a giant wooden wolf towering over the path.

“Sergeant?!” He blurted out.

“Holy shit! That thing is the size of a house!” Roger exclaimed.

“Did you get its exact location?”

“No, sir.”

“Retribution II to all units, can anyone confirm the presence of a large wolf down the path?”

“Kangaroo here, sir. I saw it but I didn’t believe it.”

“Roger that. If anyone gets a clear shot on it; take it. Retribution II out.”

There was a loud rumble as rain clouds crashed into each other in the sky.

“Get ready for the lightning, Sergeant.” Alex ordered

“Ready, sir.”

There was another crack and the forest was once again lit up. The giant wolf stood in the middle of the path; it's yellow eyes glaring at the row of armoured vehicles.

“I have it in our sights, sir!”

“Fire!”

The main gun roared and the HEAT shell soared down the path, it smacked right into the side of the giant wolfs head. Half of its head was destroyed in a shower of splinters as the HEAT shell exploded. The casing was ejected from the main gun with a clatter and another HEAT was loaded.

“All units the target has been marked. Open fire.”

The wall of armoured vehicles opened up, including the Leopard which fired its main gun with a deep boom. The giant wolf was bombarded with shells, 50 Cal bullets and 25mm rounds. It roared every time a shot landed. Very quickly the once house sized wolf was transformed into a burning pile of splinters, sticks and logs.

“Do you think there are any more of those things, sir?”

“Probably, but we’re not going to stick around to find out.”

Another loud howl filled the forest; confirming Alex’s suspicions.

“All units we’re rolling out, follow my lead.” He ordered. “Corporal, get us moving back down that path.”

“Aye, sir.”

The Retribution II pulled forward and began the journey out of the clearing.

“Fluttershy?” Alex asked into his headset as the Retribution ploughed through the smoldering remains of the wooden wolf.

“Private, is Fluttershy alright?”

“Uh she’s fine, sir. She’s just in shock I think.”

“Ask her if the path we’re on now will take us out of this forest.”

There was a moment of silence as David tried to get Fluttershy to talk.

“She won’t talk, sir.”

Alex sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose. “Very well, tell me when she starts talking, Private.”

“Yes, sir.”

The convoy sped down the narrow path with haste. After five tense minutes of driving the path started to get brighter and brighter, confirming that they were going the right way. The once heavy rain became very light and eventually stopped as they drove along.

“Slow her down, Corporal I don’t think we’re in any danger right now.”

“If you say so, sir.”

The convoy slowed down but continued unopposed along the path.

“Sir, Fluttershy is talking now.”

“Thank you, Private.” Alex switched channels. “Fluttershy are you ok?”

“M-my wing and hoof still hurts.” Fluttershy replied over the radio.

“Don’t worry, ma’am, we should be getting out of this forest soon.”

‘Oh ok.”

“Speaking of which does, the path we’re currently on lead out of the forest?”

“Yes. It should.”

“Care to make sure? I don’t want to get lost.”

There was a clunk as the loaders hatch opened.

“This is the right path.”

“Alright, that’s good. How long until we reach the edge?”

“Any minute now.”

“Excellent.”

Alex swung open the cupola and breathed in the fresh air. He turned to look at the convoy behind him; the Kangaroo was directly behind the Retribution followed by Old Tom and the pony driven Leopard.

’Convoy of misfits right here.’

Alex turned back around to face Fluttershy who was still poking her head out of the drivers hatch. He then looked back up to see the trees thin and clear. The path dipped as they reached the edge of the forest and the Retribution II bounced as the suspension absorbed it.

“Corporal bring us to a stop.” Alex ordered.

The tank swayed forward as it came to a halt.

“Well now...” He said as he took in the scenery.

The path continued down a lush green hill dotted with bushes and colourful flowers. Alex looked further along the path he could barely make out what appeared to a town at the bottom of the hill.

“...Ponyville?” Alex asked.

“Yes.” Fluttershy confirmed.

He looked up at the cloudless blue sky.

“Take us in, Corporal.”

Author's Note:

Alright guys, sorry this is late but I got a new computer and I haven't had much time to write lately either. So here it is once again un-edited. If you spot something wrong please point it out.
On a more positive note, 500 likes and almost 4000 views! Holy crap I never expected this to get so big. I only have you guys to thank, so thanks! Without you guys I wouldn't be writing this story.
Love you all.