• Published 25th Jan 2014
  • 349 Views, 2 Comments

Wings that wont return - dimitri_dm



When a well known pony makes a move, memories came into action. The story of Derpy Hooves, and the trouble she is in.

  • ...
 2
 349

5 Seeing The Past

Author's Note:

Rhymes are hard to maintain. It's hard to continue my story if I have to continue rhyming, so I just start as normal from now on.

“Derpy?” Sherrill gave Derpy a soft nudge so would wake from her slumber. Derpy eyes fluttered open, she yawned.

“What time is it?” Derpy finally asked once her eyes adjusted to the brightness of the rising sun, which steamed in from a nearby window. Sherrill chuckled softly.

“It’s almost 11 in the morning. Derpy, raised an eyebrow, stretched herself then jumped out of bed and landed on all four hooves.

“Come.” Sherrill pointed her front left hoof towards the door. “I think it’ been a while since you had a proper breakfast.” Derpy nodded happily and followed Sherrill to the kitchen.

The kitchen wasn’t big, but was good enough to fit the required utensils which a pony needed to make a good looking meal. The house was only designed for one pony, and didn’t use more space than there was needed. The house wasn’t that big, but it was big enough for one pony, it was cosy

Upon arrival in the kitchen, Derpy stared in wonder upon the feast laid before her ravenous eyes. It was groaning under the weight of waffles dusted with sugar, pancakes slavered in liberal amounts of honey and jam, fresh toast blanketed in wads of thick fresh butter and many other snacks that made Derpys mouth water thinking about them.

“Whoa” Derpy exclaimed, unable to contain her happiness. “That’s a bit extravagant for a simple breakfast.”

Sherrill giggled. “Well.” She started, while walking up to the table, where the waffle’s and pancakes where abundant. “Well we both haven’t eaten much in the past couple of days. So you aren’t the only one who needs an extra bit of food.” Sherrill’s horn glowed and two plates floated down from a shelf and landed softly on the table. She then let out a small yawn. She quickly covered her mouth with her hooves. “Sorry.” Sherrill giggled, embarrassed “I’ve been up for a bit longer then you I think” Derpy smiled and walked to the other side of the table, and sat her rump down on a chair.

After that Derpy, and Sherrill were too busy eating to have any sort of real conversation and so nothing was discussed until both had eaten their fill.

Sherrill then broke the long silence and asked: “Derpy, I’m not sure if this would be the best time to ask but, what made you” Sherrill hesitated, taking a deep breath and continued. “What made you want to end your life? How could you put all your friends through that just because some ponies were mean to you?

Derpy, froze, gathering her thoughts unsure of how to answer the question. She shook her head and long main, said: “It’s a long story.” “Remember what I said to you last night?” Sherrill nodded. “I said the last week was the hardest one?” Again Sherrill nodded, but stayed silent.

“Well, it started like this….”

**

“OK! I want everypony in line, RIGHT NOW!” Rainbow Dash shouted at her team. Quickly, a big group of pegasi slammed to the ground around her and formed a line. Derpy was the last one to join the line.

“Derpy.” Rainbow Dash barked, looking as if she was about to slap somepony in the face. This is the third time this week.

Derpy put her ears to her head wishing she was a unicorn so she could just vanish. “I’m sorry Rainbow Dash.” Rainbow Dash ignored her apology and said: “Sorry isn’t worth staying on this team Derpy Hooves. We are all depending on each other, and if one pony slacks behind, it delays the whole crew, you got that?”

Everypony looked at Derpy and then at Rainbow Dash. Some in shock some confused but most were just worried.

“I…” Derpy wanted to protest, only to be cut off by Rainbow Dash. “It’s not about you Derpy, it’s about everypony. There is no point making up new excuses every time you fail to perform.” Rainbow Dash looked at Derpy, as if she was about to attack her. She then turned around. “I think its best you leave.” Some ponies gasped, and looked on in disbelief. Seeing Rainbow Dash just saying these words was shocking.

“Rainbow Dash. You can’t just throw Derpy from our team, just because she’s slower than the rest of us?” A brown Pegasus with a black grey main hovered forward, moving herself a little closer to Rainbow Dash and Derpy.

Rainbow Dash spun around. “Ricky?” Rainbow Dash said in disbelieve. “You know our rules, and we will not tolerate any delays, no matter what the situation may be. Now you can either get back to your position, or do you also want to leave?” Rainbow Dash looked at Ricky. Ricky glanced at Derpy and sniffed. “I’m sorry Derpy” And he quickly moved back to his position.

“But….” Derpy tried to protest, but again was cut off by Rainbow Dash’s shouting. “No Derpy. We are already behind schedule, we can’t afford to be delayed any longer. Just leave with what little dignity you have left.”

Tears started filling Derpy’s eyes. And without protest, Derpy turned, spread her wings and flew away.

**

Derpy paused, and looked at Sherrill, which had been listening enraptured the entire time.

“I lost my job.” Derpy continued. “I wasn’t able to make any bits, and I was soon unable to afford to keep my own small house.” Sherrill gasped, and quickly put a hoof to her mouth. “I’m sorry to hear that.” Sherrill said, feeling stupid she asked the question in the first place. But it was already too late to go back now, and the question had been asked it required an answer.

Still. Sherrill wasn’t quite sure if that would be the reason for Derpy wanting to end her life. But as she was pondering this, Derpy continued. As if she was able to read Sherrill’s mind.

“So I lost my house and job, but…”

**

Derpy went from door to door, and every time she asked the same question. “Hello, I recently lost my job and house, may I be allowed to stay here for a few days, so I can find a place to start working again?” But every time she received the same answer. And the door was slammed in her face

And after seeing how angry Rainbow Dash was before she left, Derpy didn’t bother to ask any of her friends.

**

“I had no place to go.” Derpy said after finishing her story. “I started asking for bits, as if I was an invalid

“Derpy, it’s ok. It’s going to be ok.” Sherrill said to Derpy. “It’s not the first time.” Sherrill continued. “That I have seen a pony in this situation. I still was afraid that you wouldn’t listen to me, when I saw you racing towards the ground.” Tears threatening to appear, but Sherrill kept herself strong. “But, I didn’t gave up on you, I continued. And I succeeded.” She then stood up and walked to Derpy. “You are still here Derpy. And that’s important right now.” With that, Sherrill gave Derpy a soft nudge with her snout. And started to clean the detritus of their late and lamented meal.