• Published 31st Dec 2014
  • 453 Views, 7 Comments

Separated - ItalianMugshot



Ready Steady is on a quest to reunite with her sister, Get Set, from a swarm of changelings that attacked their hometown, Fillydelphia. Will these two survivors reunite, or will the changelings get in between their search for one another?

  • ...
10
 7
 453

Prologue

My name is Ready Steady, I am a track and field athlete for the Fillydelphia academy. I grew up with my mother, Athelia who was a cheerleader for her high school and university back in her days, my father, Checkered Flag who was a 5-time champion chariot racer, and my little sister, Get Set who's a student at Fillydelphia Elementary who wishes to become a successful track and field athlete like me. I was happy to have a family as great as my own. But then, it happened.

There was an outbreak in Fillydelphia that couldn't be stopped. Changelings had come to destroy the village and claim it as their own. All of town was under panic and ran for their lives, every direction you'd turn; everywhere within a blink of an eye, there they were, ready to attack their prey like carnivorous savages. There was not much anypony could've done to save themselves, more and more and more of them came after us, as if they were multiplying, wanting to eat our flesh, drink our blood, and leave our corpses to rot and decompose. For the first time in my life, I've seen these creatures bloody-thirsty and hungry for murder.

The first thing my family did was drop what we were doing and fleeing the household that would soon be destroyed. Many changelings came for us, one after one waiting to take a bite out of us. We had done our best to fight them off, but overall, they outnumbered us. It was almost like a zombie apocalypse, only much worse. As I was fighting them off, I heard a scream of terror.

"Steady, help me! I don't wanna be changeling food!" It was the plead of my little sister, Get Set. I didn't have a choice, I had to help fight off that beast who was trying to maim my sister.

Once we had found a clear pathway where there were no changelings, me, my parents, and Set had all made a sprint towards the location the empty pathway had led us to, the train station. I had Set run pass me so I could get a better eye on her in case she was in any trouble. We both made it towards the train station, but my mom and dad were both being attacked by changelings.

"Set, get on the train, you'll be protected from any changelings that try to attack you. No matter where that train takes you, it'll be for the better. I need to help mommy and daddy," I told my concerned sister.

"What about you?" she responded. "I don't want anything happening to you."

As I took a moment to take that all in, and glance over at my parents who were barely surviving, I told her with a sad look, "I don't know. But what I do know is that mommy and daddy are going to be hurt if I don't do something now. Please, promise me you will stay in this train."

She nodded, keeping the promise and giving me permission to help mom and dad. I ran as fast as my hooves could take me to save my parents. In the way were a horde of murder-hungry changelings that envisioned me as a full course meal. I tried to reach my remaining family members, but there were too many changelings in my way.

"Steady!" called out my father's voice, "You need to board the train; leave us behind!"

"You know I can't just leave you out there," I told him as I was fighting off more changelings. "I need you come back for you guys!"

"There's nothing you can do," responded the voice of my mother. "Board that train and make sure that Set is safe!"

"You can still make it," I explained to her, not admitting defeat. "As long as I can hear your voices, you're still alive!"

And ironically enough, there was no response for the next couple of minutes. I felt scared, I didn't want to think they were dead, yet at the same time, I knew they were.

"Mom, Dad, please answer me!" I yelled as I was about to break into tears.

Then I heard the sound of a train engine starting followed by a train whistle. I made my way back to the scaffold of the train station and the doors of the train were shut tight. I look through the windows of the train, thank Celestia Set was still on, but I could not get in, and Set could not get out.

"Steady, I'm scared," said my apprehensive sister. "Where's mommy and daddy?"

I didn't know how to tell her without hurting her feelings, but I managed to find a way. "All I can tell you is that I tried my best to save them, but they insisted we save ourselves rather than risk losing the whole family." I said, conversing with her through the train window.

"Okay, I understand," Set had realized. "But I'm still scared, I want to stay with you; be by your side."

"Don't worry, I'll find a way to find you again. You'll be okay, you're on a train with some nice ponies who're going through the same situation we are. See if you can make some friends so you won't be so lonely." I confronted to her.

"Okay, I'll try." Set said as the train separated me from my sister.

Moments later, I stayed inside the train station while trying to keep the changelings out. As I thought about that, it was a stupid plan, but I panicked and didn't think of anything else at the time. I was holding the station doors against the changelings who were trying to break their way in. Luckily, I found a broom and stuck it between the two handles of the doors. The stick of the broom was made out of wood, so I knew it wouldn't last long. For a brief moment, I took a huge sigh of relief, then went up to the ticket window.

"Excuse me," I said, trying to get the ticket pony's attention. "When's the next train? I need to find my little sister."

He didn't respond. He was sitting in a swivel chair and the back of the chair was faced towards me.

"Sir? Hello? When's the next train?" I said still trying to get a response from him.

Moments after, a gust of wind had came in through the ticket window, and turned the chair around, revealing a faceless, blood-covered, pony. As soon as I witness the abomination, I started to gag, but didn't lose it.

"Oh my Celestia!" I had said to myself. "I don't think there's another train coming here as far as I know."

With that in mind, I knew I had to escape, and I knew I couldn't stay in this crummy train station forever. The changelings finally broke the broom that was keeping them from getting inside the station. Remembering that I was a pegasus, I went through the station doors, I flew up to the clouds where I thought it was safe, but then another swarm of changelings, consisting of 8 or 9 of them, chased me through the skies. Luckily, I was fast enough as to where they couldn't catch me. Then, there was a big cloud coming up. I thought that if I went through the cloud, that I could lose them for good, but then again, I might end up running into one of them if I do. I made up my mind, I flew straight through the cloud. I couldn't see anything, but I had to keep straight, that's the only way I was gonna get these pests off my tail. When I got out of the cloud, nopony was tailgating me any longer. I knew I was safe but for how much longer? I decided to keep flying even though I was starting to feel fatigue. About 20 minutes later, I finally reached to a town with nice ponies and no changelings. I gently lowered myself to the ground and took a breathtaking view. To my right, there was a sign which read, "Welcome to Ponyville".

To be continued...

Author's Note:

I will upload a thumbnail for you guys to see what Ready Steady and Get Set look like. Other than that, I hope you'll be in for a treat. This is my first story so give me advice to help me make my stories better.