• Published 31st Dec 2014
  • 453 Views, 7 Comments

Separated - ItalianMugshot



Ready Steady is on a quest to reunite with her sister, Get Set, from a swarm of changelings that attacked their hometown, Fillydelphia. Will these two survivors reunite, or will the changelings get in between their search for one another?

  • ...
10
 7
 453

Chapter 4 - Got My Head in the Clouds

"It's me, Set," said the young filly. I couldn't see her physically, but I knew it was her by the sound of her voice. "I'm so glad I found you! I know you told me to make friends in this new town and all, but I just can't seem to fit in."

"It's okay," I told her. "I'm just glad to know you're safe."

"Steady," she started. "The ponies have been talking about those monster spreading throughout a city named..." she paused trying to think of the name.

"Was is Baltimare?" I asked.

"Yeah, that's it," she confirmed. "Is that true Steady?"

"I think so," I said with discomfort. "And with that in mind, I don't know where they'll head next." Then, I got really worried. "Set, where are you at? Where did that train take you?"

"I'm in..." Set said, then she got interrupted. "Hey, what are you doing? Steady!"

"What's going on?" I asked with a fright. "Set, speak to me!"

"Steady, they're back again!" she cried. I know what was happening to her. "HELP ME!"

I tried to help her, but something kept me from doing so. "I can't move," I cried, scared out of my mind. "Why can't I move? Set, say something if you can hear me? SET!"

And just like my parents back in Fillydelphia, complete silence.

"Set! SET! SET, SAY SOMETHING!" I screamed to the top of my lungs. "No, no, no, no, NOOOOOO!"


I woke up, hyperventilating as fast as the speed of sound. It was one of the worst nightmare's I've had in my life. This apocalypse situation had been getting into my head longer than I thought. I know I've been missing Set for a while, but I didn't know it would be THIS long a while. With the nightmare out of the way, I looked out the window. The moon seemed close to setting as the sun was just about to rise. I decided to go to the bathroom and splash my face with warm water. After that I looked in the bathroom mirror and told myself, "Don't give up hope, otherwise she will be dead, and so will I." Then I spent then next hour or two, trying to sleep in my new bed.

Once morning had arrived, I got up and got out of bed. I looked around the room and noticed a vanity. I went over to the vanity and looked in the mirror, realizing the warm water didn't do me much. I still looked like crap, but I can't blame myself, I've got a sister in potential danger. I also realized my mane was a mess. I saw a hairbrush on the vanity and I brushed my mane with it. "Hope Rarity doesn't mind," I thought to myself. I then walked out of the room to be surprised by Sweetie Belle who had been waiting patiently. "Aaah!" I cried. "Sweeie Belle! You startled the crap outta me!"

"Sorry about that," apologized Sweetie Belle. "But now that you're awake, you can tell me that story now, right? Right?"

"Well actually," I started. "I was hoping I would tell you both at the same time."

"Come on, please," pleaded Sweetie Belle. "I'm dying to know what happened."

"Well we're just gonna have to wait until Rarity wakes up," I told Sweetie Belle.

"What's with all the commotion?" Rarity said, coming out of her bedroom.

"Now that you're here we get to here Steady's story!" Sweetie Belle said with enthusiasm.

"Well I can't really stay much longer," said Rarity. "I have another order to fulfill. Steady can tell all about it later." Then she exited the boutique.

Sweetie Belle really wanted to know about what happened, so I gave up trying to make up excuses. "It's okay Sweetie Belle," I said to the eager filly. "I'll tell you the story."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Sweetie said in worship. "I've been dying to know!"

"Okay well, here it goes," I started. "It was just another ordinary day in Fillydelphia. I was going to challenge my little sister, Get Set, in a hoof race. Then, the outbreak with the changelings had occurred. Our whole family was panicking, and we didn't know what to do. Then we tried to make our way to the train station where I put my sister to safety. My parents..." I started to cry. "...they didn't make it. It was just me and Set. I didn't make it in time to board the train Set was on, so we got separated. I don't know where she is, but I hope it's away from all those changelings. But now that I know that the changelings are branched out, I'm even more petrified." Then, I broke out into tears. "I just don't want anything happening to her."

Sweetie Belle came up to me, saw that I had my hooves covering my face, and gave me a hug. "I'm so sorry, Steady," she apologized. "I was just anxious."

"You weren't gonna leave me alone anyway," I said. "I just feels like torture, just thinking about it."

Then, there was a knock on the door.

"Go away!" Sweetie Belle yelled, "We're closed!"

"It's me, Spike." said the outside voice.

Once my tears dried up a little, I asked, "Who's Spike?"

"Spike just like's to help out Rarity whenever he can," responded Sweetie Belle. As she opened to door for Spike.

"Who's she?" asked the purple and green dragon.

"That's Steady," replied Sweetie Belle. "She's from Fillydelphia."

At this point, I thought, "Why did I ever tell her that?" It just felt like torture, telling everypony my story and where I'm from.

"Fillydelphia?" said Spike. "Isn't that where the changelings attacked all those ponies?"

"Well, not all," I said. "So you're Spike. I wasn't expecting to see a dragon roaming through these parts."

"Yeah well, being the only dragon around here, I kinda get that a lot from new ponies," said Spike.

"So what're you doing here anyway?" I asked Spike.

"Just to help out Rarity with whatever," Spike responded with a nervous smile. He made his way inside the boutique.

Then Sweetie Belle whispered in my ear, "He's just here because he has a 'not so secret' crush on Rarity."

"Well I'll leave you to it," I told Spike. "Until then, I'm gonna get some fresh air." Then I exited the boutique.

I just needed to find a way to keep my mind off of the past and see what I could do for fun. When I was brainstorming, I came across the idea of just playing in the clouds back when I was a filly. So I flew up into the clouds, and my wings weren't that sore as they were before. I was playing in the clouds for a while, then I was playfully flying again. I was minding my own business when all of the sudden, I crashed into one of the other pegasi.

"I'm sorry," I apologized to the victim. "I didn't to..." I paused to find out I ran into a familiar face. The pegasus I ran into had a rainbow-colored mane and tail with a cyan coat, and a cutie mark with a rainbow-colored lightning bolt. I couldn't quite figure out where I knew her from but I know I've seen her before. "Hang on a minute," I started. "You look familiar. What's your name?"

"Rainbow Dash," she replied with slight hesitation. "Should I know you?"

"Weren't you at the party Pinkie Pie threw at Sugarcube Corner?" I asked.

"Yeah," she replied.

"You were that pony that beat me in Twister so many times." I said, finally put the pieces together.

"That was you?" Rainbow said. "Yeah, I am pretty good at that game."

"I'm Ready Steady," I let Rainbow know. "Steady, for short."

"I don't exactly know a pegasus named 'Ready Steady'," said claimed. "Are you new here?"

"Yeah," I admitted. "I was kinda getting away from somewhere."

"Where, Fillydelphia?" she asked.

"Yeah," I said, looking a little flustered. "How'd you know?"

"Everypony's been talking about it," said Rainbow Dash. "The weather ponies have also talked about the outbreak in Baltimare and Manehatten too."

"Manehatten?" I asked with a little concerned.

"Yeah," responded Rainbow. "Equestria Daily just published another article this morning letting us know."

Then I started to feel light-headed.

"Steady," Rainbow started to ask. "Are you feeling alright?"

"I'll be fine," I said, trying to snap back into reality. "I just needed to get some fresh air, which is kind of why I came up here in the first place."

Then my stomach, once again, started to growl.

"That's odd," said Rainbow Dash. "We weren't supposed to schedule for a thunderstorm."

"Actually," I started to admit. "That's my stomach, I need to find something to eat. You seem like a cool pony Rainbow, maybe later on we could do something fun."

"Well, I've got a shift to get done," Rainbow Dash said. "But I'd love to hang out once it's over, just meet me by Sugarcube Corner in a half an hour. Deal?"

"Deal," I said shaking her hoof.

"Awesome," said Rainbow Dash as she flew back to her job.

Then I was in town where I thought I could use a place to live. Don't get me wrong, staying at Carousel Boutique and Sweet Apple Acres do have their perks, but I can't stay there forever. I only had enough bits to get me a small house with a kitchen, bathroom, and a bedroom. It was kind of like a hotel room, but a little more different. In the end, I found a house like that and bought it for a little less than 500 bits with the money Rarity had given me. When I heard my stomach growl again, I sorta forgot I was hungry. Rainbow Dash told me to meet her at Sugarcube Corner anyway, so I decided to grab a bite at the cupcake shop. I bought myself a couple of cupcakes and then I saw Rainbow Dash come on in.

"Hey Steady," said Rainbow.

"Hew Rainbow," I replied. "So, what're we gonna do?"

"I thought we could go prank some ponies," said Rainbow Dash. "You in, or what?"

"I haven't really pranked anypony before," I said. "But sure, why not."


After we pranked some ponies, it was getting a little late but we still had some free time left. That's when Rainbow Dash asked, "So, what do you wanna do?"

"You know," I started. "Before the whole outbreak, me and my sister would always face off against one another in a hoof race."

"Are you saying you wanna challenge me in a race?" Rainbow Dash said. "Because everypony happens to know that I'm the fastest flyer in Equestria."

"Yeah, but since when hoof races involve flying?" I told her.

"Alright fine," said Rainbow Dash. "You want a hoof race, then get ready...to eat my dust."

"You're on," I said. "First one to Carousel Boutique and back wins. 3, 2, 1, GO!"

The race had started and I had a bit of a lead on Rainbow Dash. When we had made our way to Carousel Boutique, I touched the side of the building first, but Rainbow was not too far behind. When we made our way back to Sugarcube Corner, I still had the lead, but Rainbow Dash made it back first because she flew there when she knew she couldn't win.

"No fair," I complained. "No flying, remember?"

"You asked when hoof races involve flying," she responded. "I answered your question a few seconds ago, remember?"

"Okay, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one." I said. "It's getting late, so I guess I'll see you around."

"Alright," said Rainbow Dash. "Later!" Then she zoomed off into the sky, creating a sonic rainboom.

"Wow, they don't call her Rainbow Dash for nothing." I thought to myself. I decided to sleep in the clouds like I've always wanted to back when I was a filly. The cloud felt nice and cozy which made it easier to sleep better.

In the middle of the night, I was awoken with the breeze of cold air against my coat. I then saw something that triggered my past. A changeling flew towards me trying to attack. I was obviously going to fight it back, but then a question came to mind. Was this going to be the next outbreak location?

Author's Note:

Sorry if this chapter took longer than usual, my laptop was under maintenance.