• Published 12th Dec 2011
  • 1,052 Views, 46 Comments

The Aura Of Music - Kumare Tanamaru



Octavia is a quite pony, and has a passion for music, but her sister is even quiter and passionate.

  • ...
1
 46
 1,052

Fiddler In The Garden

"Come now Aurora," Octavia said. "We really must be going. We don't want to be late for our performance at Fancy Pants' garden party."

Aurora looked away and frowned.

"It'll be okay." she said hugging her sister. "Things will be different this time."

How is this time any different from the others? What will be life changing about this time?

Aurora's expression changed to annoyance.

"I know you don't believe me, but I have a feeling that tonight will be great for you. Let's go sis." she said walking out the door.

Maybe she's right, Aurora thought. Maybe it will be different this time. she smiled slightly and walked out the door, with her instrument in hoof.



Octavia was up on the stage first. She was busy setting up for the performance, and didn't want to be disturbed, so she sent her sister to find Fancy Pants for a chat.

How am I supposed to do that? Aurora thought. She has an interesting mind alright... Oh, there he is. Here I go. she swallowed hard and approached the high-class pony. Aurora tapped him on the shoulder and winced at the possibilities that were coming.

"One moment dear." he said glancing over his shoulder. He finished his conversation with the pony that he was speaking with and turned around to see the purple and yellow pony looking at him with a scared look. "Yes dear? What is it?"

What am I supposed to do now? she thought.

Aurora raised her hoof and pointed towards the stage.

"Hm. Oh, the orchestra! Yes, splendid aren't they? I've heard so much about them!" he said with enthusiasm

Aurora sighed and waved him to come with her.

"My, my. Quite the shy one, are we? Very well. I will follow you."

Aurora blushed and smiled a bit, then led the pony to the stage.




*****



Octavia was speaking with one of their band mates and looked obviously occupied. She seemed distressed for some reason. Aurora stamped her hooves into the pavement in a specific rhythm that caught Octavia's attention.

"Please excuse me," she said politely to her band mate. "My sister called me." she abruptly ended the conversation and walked to her sister.

"Oh," she said from far away. "You've brought Fancy Pants. Thank you Aurora. Good evening, Fancy Pants." she said bowing her head slightly. "I want to speak with you about the performance. How long are we supposed to play for? You gave us no blueprint, so I would very much appreciate some instruction."

"Ah, of course! I'm very sorry, please accept my apology. Now, I want your finest set-list for this evening. I want you to play for at least an hour."

Aurora's eyes widened.

An hour? she thought with her pupils growing smaller.

"We would be happy to oblige, my good sir. Come, Aurora. I need you to help me set up a little more. Enjoy your evening Mr. Fancy Pants." she said with a slight smile.

Aurora looked at her sister with a worried look.

"Don't give me that look Aurora." she said without turning around. "I know you haven't played for that amount of time yet, but you'll be fine." she said as she stopped to wait for her sister. She looked her in the eyes, smiled, and fixed her younger sister's tie. "You look beautiful. We're going to knock 'em dead tonight, right?" she said holding out her hoof.

Aurora looked at her and smiled

Confidence,

"Honor,"

Love,

"Passion."

These four things are all you need to make music come to life.

"Mother would be so proud of you. Of how much you've grown as a musician, a pony, and a woman." she said as she hugged her sister tightly.

"And now, I bring you: The Midnight Orchestra!" a voice said on the loud speaker.



*****



The crowd cheered and applauded the orchestra. It had been forty minutes. Octavia winked at Aurora and called the strings to attention. Aurora looked around the crowd in confusion. There was a white pony that kept going in and out of the building, and had even taken a croquet mallet back in with her.

What's that pony up to? she thought. She readied her bow and was about to start playing when six ponies, including the white one that took off with the game hammer, came bursting into the garden in a conga line. The pony at the front was a completely pink pony, and was armed with a cannon. The second pony was a yellow Pegasus, and had a light pink mane. The next Pegasus was a sort of light blue, and had a rainbow colored mane. Following her was an earth pony that had on a cow-pony hat, and was a shade of orange. At the end was a purple unicorn that was holding a blasting record player.

What is going on? she thought lowering her bow.

The ponies stormed through, digging up weeds, feeding the animals, eating obnoxiously, dancing crazily, and wrecking the name of croquet. Octavia glanced at her sister, and then began to put away her Cello. Aurora took this as a hint and quickly scrambled for her case as well, to prevent major damage to her precious instrument.

Who are they?! she thought, glancing to her sister.

"I have no idea!" she said to her.

Suddenly all of the ponies in the garden gathered around Fancy Pants and the six rampaging ponies.

"You know these ponies?" Fancy Pants asked the white one.

The white pony looked around in a scared and embarrassed manor as the chatter of the crowd arose. She walked towards the crowd and spoke.

"Yes," she said. "Yes, I do know them. They may not be as sophisticated as some of you Canterlot ponies, but they are my best friends." she said looking over her shoulder to her counterparts. "And they are, without a doubt, the most important ponies I know." she said with glossy eyes.

"Important ponies?" somepony retorted. "These ruffians?"

"Don't make me laugh!" said a the female pony next to him.

They laughed and Fancy Pants cut them off.

"I, for one, find them charmingly rustic! And I think the dress you made for your friend is lovely." he chuckled. "I dare say, every mare in Canterlot will be wanting one!" he said.

The rude ponies ran up to the white pony.

"Oh, I'd like to place my order right now!"

"I think you should get two, hm?"

The white pony ran from their presence to join her friends.

"Eh, yes. Now then, how about you introduce me to your friends?" Fancy Pants said.

"With pleasure!" the white pony said.

The white pony went on to introduce to Fancy Pants her friends. The ponies stayed there and chatted for a while as Octavia walked up to Fancy Pants.

"A word?" she said to him.

"Of course!"

"Are we going to get paid for this? We did have to put up with a lot after all."

"But of course! You need to make a living somehow, am I right? Yes yes, seventy-five bits each should cover it, hm?"

She smiled and nodded.

"Thank you so much for your generosity Mr. Fancy Pants. We'll clean up right away."

"Oh come now my dear filly," he said "Stay and mingle for a while! Your company will be much appreciated."

"If you want, Mr. Fancy Pants." she said with a smile.



*****



"Come on, Aurora!" Octavia said rolling her eyes.

What do you suppose I do? her expression said.

"Just mingle around a bit, it can't hurt anypony! Please? For me? For your sister?" she said with a huge smile on her face.

Aurora sighed

Fine.

"Hurray! Now get out there!" Octavia said giving her sister a slight push.

Well, Aurora thought. Here I go. Mother, I hope your watching.

Just remember dear, Confidence, Honor, Love, Passion. These four things are all you need to make music come to life.