• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 1,136 Views, 9 Comments

Taking Wing - DrakoGlyph



Fluttershy and Rainbow have always been friends, but always so opposite of each other. Their differences have made them friends who would always stand up for each other, but when it matters most, can they truly take wing for each other?

  • ...
5
 9
 1,136

Bad Ending

Fluttershy had to halt herself in her tracks so she didn’t hit the ground. There was no way that she could perform a Sonic Rainboom. It just wouldn’t happen. She heard four words that haunted her the rest of her life.

When Rainbow hit the ground, dust and rocks flew everywhere, one flinging itself with enough force to snap Fluttershy’s own wing, grounding her. Not that she really cared.

She ran up to the crater created by the collision of pony and ground. She descended to Rainbow, hoping what she deemed only logical as untrue. She hoped with all her heart that it wasn’t true. That some hoof of providence had seen after her, had chosen to save her. But when she got to Rainbow, it was evident that Rainbow Dash was no more.

Fluttershy could carry on no longer. Without Rainbow Dash in the world, there was no hope in Fluttershy’s heart. She lay there, and didn’t ever want to move from Rainbow’s body. She wrapped her in a warm hug, across the lifeless body of Rainbow as tears streamed down her face.

She laid there for three days until Twilight, Zecora, and Applebloom found them in the crater. They carried the body of Rainbow back to Ponyville, and Fluttershy to her cottage, where she was never again to emerge.

Without Rainbow, there was no reason for anything, so far as Fluttershy was concerned. There was no other pony that she cared for, there was nothing else worth doing. She didn’t move from her bed, where Twilight had placed her.

Her friends had come and gone, checking up until they could no longer open the door due to the lack of maintenance on it. Rarity first, when Fluttershy missed their weekly spa date. Then Pinkie, Applejack and Twilight all in turn. Each time they grew more and more concerned, but nothing they could ever do would change Fluttershy’s mind. Not even Twilight in all her magical power could remove Flutterhsy from the bed once she had been planted there. She withered away, not eating, not caring. Her heart was broken beyond all repair because the one and only pony who had ever truly cared for her had perished because she was too weak to save her. She was found dead with a single picture, hoof-drawn in her grasp, blurred and stained nearly beyond recognition from the flood of tears that had come from the yellow Pegasus. On it could still be made out a yellow and a blue figure.

The stories that they told of the Elements of Harmony ended soon after. No one remembered who Rainbow Dash was, who Fluttershy was, nor even who Twilight Sparkle was. Without the Elements of Loyalty and Kindness, the Elements broke apart, no longer held together through their friendships with the Pegasi.

The investigation into her death could only ponder what had made Fluttershy take such a turn for the worst. They could only connect it to the loss of Rainbow Dash, but nopony would ever make the connection that the cyan blob in her tear-stained drawing was supposed to be the best flier to ever come out of Cloudsdale.

No one, except perhaps Twilight, who found the drawing with four words, the same four that had plagued Fluttershy since that day she failed in the Everfree forest, constantly reminding her of her failure, of all the possibilities that could have been. These things were what did do her in, though not one of her friends could ever get that information out of her. Those words had been in her mind as she died, and those words were placed upon her gravestone:

“I love you, too.”