• Published 10th May 2014
  • 552 Views, 9 Comments

The Disgruntled Butler and Other Random Tales - ADRNEL



An anthology of random stories and ideas that flow through my head.

  • ...
8
 9
 552

THE BUTLER №6

The next day, I was tasked to buy a new flower arrangement for the dinning room table that would be pleasing to our griffin guests. I walked into town to the one flower shop that Mr. Rich recommended me.

"Hello?" I asked as I walked through the door. A bell rung to signal my presence. It looked like a typical flower shop with bouquets and potted flowers all over.

"I'll be right out." said a voice from the back.

I waited patiently for the employee to walk in. Soon, a red maned mare walked in. "Hello, I'm Roseluck, how can I help you today?" she said to me with a smile.

"Oh, I'm just looking for some flower arrangements, preferably involving the national flowers of the griffin kingdom." I explained to her.

"So, an arrangement of bay laurel branches, violas and cyclamen graecums?" she answered.

"Why...yes." I was surprised she got that right. "You do know a lot about flowers I heard."

"I know the national flower of every single nation and kingdom on the planet." she smiled in a somewhat cocky manner. "It comes with the job."

"So, when can I expect the arrangement to be ready?" I asked her.

"It should be ready by tomorrow morning Mr. uh..."

"Alistair, I'm Alistair, butler."

"You look a little young to be a butler." she pointed out.

"I was born to do this." I assured her.

"Well Mr. Butler, what to come on back to the green house to see what will make up your griffin themed flower arrangement?" she offered me.

"It would be a pleasure, thanks." I politely accepted.

With nothing but a smile, she walked me over to the green house attached to the building. "As you know, cyclamen graecums are only found in the high elevation ground of the griffin kingdom. Because of that, it has become a national flower for the kingdom and it features prominently on the griffin coat of arms." she explained to me.

"And the bay laurels?"

"A symbol of the royal family whose early ancestors where bay leaf growers before taking the throne." continued Roseluck. "Did you know that one of their biggest exports is bay leaves Mr. Alistair?"

"I did not know that." I was impressed by her. I was always a sucker for smart mares, a hot body can only impress me for so long which is why I value intelligence in a mare.

"And the violas?"

"To commemorate those who died in their last great war against Equestria a century ago." explained Roseluck. "The most bloodiest battle took place in the sky over a field of violas."

"Oh wow." I was shocked and moved by that.

"I know, but without it, we wouldn't be in the middle of this century long peace and our children will never grow up in a world of warfare ever again."

"And I am thankful of this peace." I say to her. Still impressed by her knowledge. "You are very knowledgeable, I like that."

"When it comes to flowers and its related history, I can be, everything else, yeah, not so much." she walked off to gather the flowers needed.

"It's still impressive, I really like that in a mare." I blurt out. She stopped in her tracks.

"Are you flirting with me Mr. Alistair?" she asked me, suspicious.

"Uh..." I quickly realized what I said and I nervously started to back away. "...no..." I kind of lied there.

"Because if you are, I demand you take me out to dinner Mister." she said to me in a kind of playful tone.

"Dinner?"

"You're cute, I can give you that, but I want to be treated out on a date first before I can even consider accepting your advances."

"Uh...okay...where and when...?"

"That's all up to you Mr. Flirty."

"Oh...well...I have to go now, but when I come back to pick up the arrangement I will tell you the where and the when..." I started to nervously sweat bullets. "So...uh...got to go..." I quickly turned around and trotted out the door. I gave a sigh of relief once outside again. "Great going Alistair, walked yourself into that one!" I say to myself.

"HEY BUTLER!" yelled a shrill voice, startling me out of my thoughts.

"Huh?" I looked around to see Miss Spoon in front of me.

"Miss Spoon?"

"I made you a Hearts & Hooves Day card." she chimed as she gave me the card.

"But Hearts & Hooves Day isn't for another six months Miss Spoon." I pointed out.

"I know, but I couldn't wait that long to give you one." she smiled. "I hope you love it, tell me what you think tomorrow."

"Okay, I will-" before I could complete my sentence, the gray filly ran off to go somewhere. "What a strange filly she is."


I returned back to the mansion with some groceries and I felt exhausted. "Mr. Rich, I am back." I announce.

"Oh good, and the flower arrangement?" he asked as he walked in.

"Ready by tomorrow morning."

"Good." said a relieved Mr. Rich. "Here, let me help you with that." he grabbed the bag of groceries and took it to the kitchen. That was very nice of him, although I suspect it's that niceness that turned his daughter to the insufferable brat that she is. Speaking of which...

"BUTLER! FIX MY BATH!" yelled the insufferable brat from upstairs.

"Coming Miss Tiara." I say to her as I walked up the stairs with my sore legs. One of these days, one of these days, I will find a way to get her to become a well behaved filly that she is supposed to be. No matter what it takes.

"About time you got your lazy rump up here." she said to me. She was in her robe, her mane loose and devoid of that awful tiara as she stood by her bedroom door. "Now carry me there, I am tired of walking."

"Yes Miss Tiara." was all I could say. It was either go along with it, or have her bitch and moan for Celestia knows how long. I got down on the floor so she could climb up on my back. After I made sure she was properly on, I took her to the bathroom and started to fix her bath.

She climbed into the tub and gave a relaxed sigh. "Good work this time Mr. Butler." she gave a rare compliment to me.


After I tucked Diamond Tiara in, I finally reached my room and collapsed on the bed. "Ugh...another day done and over with..." I completely forgot about that card though, must have left it in Miss Tiara's room after I tucked her in. Oh well, doesn't matter.

How wrong I was to think that.