• Published 6th Apr 2012
  • 26,306 Views, 2,157 Comments

The Man With Two Names - Tarot Card



A human is off to a rough start when Fluttershy finds him eating one of her chickens, and breaks his arm. Can Derpy and the human convince Ponyville to give him a second chance?

  • ...
135
 2,157
 26,306

The Vocalist (Lyra)

Sorry, this might take a while. I'm not used to writing like this.

Go on, give it a try. It'll come naturally.

He looked at the instrument hesitantly, and brought it to his lips. He wiggled his marvelous fingers before gently placing them over the buttons.

My, those hands of his. I loved the way he drummed his fingers when he spoke, and when he played with the beads of his mother's necklace. Most of all, I loved watching him write. His hand writing was so clean, so precise, from the way he dotted his periods, to the way he looped his B's. I could watch him write for hours and hours and hours. His writing was so much more elegant and swift, far outpacing my clumsy horn.

He drew breath and let out an airy note that turned quickly into an atonal shriek.

I winced.

He examined the silver flute. “I think it might be broken.”

It's fine. Just keep trying.

For the next half hour, I was assailed by all the horrifying sounds I never knew a flute could make.

Okay, so maybe Jerry wasn't the best flute player. It didn't matter. The goal wasn't to have a flute solo amidst my harping, however nice that would have been. The point was to show the town that Jerry was more than an animal, in the most pony way possible; artistic expression.

I levitated the instrument away from him.

“You think we should try something else?”

I tapped my hoof to my chin, recalling when I first met him. I remembered his voice drifting through the field. Well, you already know how to sing!

“I don't know any pony songs.”

That doesn't matter, we can sing a human song. I'll just figure what to play from hearing you sing.

“You can do that?”

It's a skill you pick up as a musician. Go on. Sing.

He deliberated for a moment, then cleared his throat.

How many years can a mountain exist

before it's washed to the sea?

Yes, how many years can some people exist

before they're allowed to be free?

Yes, how many times can a man turn his head

pretending he just doesn't see?

The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind.

The answer is blowin' in the wind.

He stopped and looked at me.

I gave him a round of applause.

“You like it?”

I nodded enthusiastically. It's very pretty, I wrote. We practiced a bit more, and I managed to figure out a pattern to pluck out. It wasn't well suited for the lyre, but a tweak here or there and nopony would even notice.



I don't think you came to watch me write a novel about my practice sessions with him, though.



He opted not to wear a costume on Nightmare Night, much to my chagrin. I went more for a minimal design myself, wearing only a set of fake lady bug wings on my back. Jerry looked out of place, in his oddly formal attire for such a festive night. Well, then again, he wasn't the only one out of place. Rarity was wearing some sort of ball gown among all of the mummies and jaguars.

The whole town was astir, excited to have Princess Luna return, this time, as an honored guest. She was invited to sit alongside some of Ponyville's big wigs as the judge for all of the night's contests. First, there was the costume contest, followed by the music contest. That was going to be Jerry's and my time to shine.


I opened the letter, and read it one last time.


Jerry,

In the two short months I have known you, you've become one of my best friends. You know how to make me smile. You always listen to me, whether I'm writing down my thoughts or problems, or just playing music. You make me feel like I have a voice. Even though I'm supposed to be the one helping you, you've done so much for me as well. I don't care what other ponies say about you; you have a heart of gold, and I know you wouldn't ever hurt a pony, and you would never consider eating another living animal again.

I can't seem to imagine what I did with myself before we started spending time together. I trust you, and I feel that you trust me. I haven't felt like this in a long, long time.

I know that no pony would ever understand the way I feel about you, but I love you. I want to see you everyday, to do stupid couple things with you.

Well, that was the first page of the letter, anyways. I have a lot of feelings, okay?

I saw Jerry coming up to me, and I quickly stuffed the stack of papers back into the envelope, and stuffed the envelope into a pocket beneath my lady bug costume. I had to find the right time to give it to him.

Where'd you run off to?

“I was just talking to Zecora, the zebra,” he said, scratching his head. “It seems like she didn't have a friendly welcome to Ponyville either, but she's just fine living in the forest.”

I eyed him worriedly. Don't tell me you're actually thinking about living in that awful forest.

“It's working for her. Nopony even seems to notice.”

You're not Zecora. You have an entirely different situation than her.

“I'm just wondering what happened that she can just walk around town like it's nothing.”

Well, she cured some ponies of a bad case of poison joke.

“You're serious? All she did to be accepted was cure a rash? But everypony thought she ate ponies!”

To be fair, nopony ever saw Zecora kill a chicken. I eyed the striped mare suspiciously. Nopony has questioned her occasional visits to town since the poison joke incident. Yet, she still insisted living in the woods. What was so bad about Ponyville that even after we stopped hiding from her, and accepted her into our community, she preferred the creepy lonesome woods?

I looked him up and down quizzically. I still wasn't happy that he was wearing the same sweater and pants he always did. I didn't know much about other humans, but if Jerry was anything to go by, they weren't a festive bunch. Are you sure you don't want a costume? We could go back to my house and cut up an old sheet really quick.

“Trust me Lyra, I'm plenty scary as is. The last thing I need is a costume to spook ponies even more.”

I thought a costume might help him show that he's one of us, and has the same traditions. He told me that they had Nightmare Night where he came from, and they called it Halloween. I was a little upset by his particularly unfestive nature.

“Um, howdy there Mr. Walker. Lyra too, I reckon.”

Jerry immediately stiffened, and did an about-face. “Ms. Applejack,” he said.

She offered Jerry a small satchel of bits. “Your pay.” She avoided his gaze, opting to examine a particularly interesting piece of cobblestone by her hoof.

“What?”

“When you were working on the farm, the... thing happened.” The orange mare, in her trademark scarecrow costume, was scratching the back of her head, sending bits of hay falling to the ground. “You never came back to get the money you earned.”

“I was under the impression that I wasn’t welcome back,” Jerry said coldly.

“Ah'm still not sure what happened that day. Not many ponies came back after that whole mess of trouble. We couldn't finish the harvest, and we had to sell off most of our land.” Applejack swallowed hard and looked away.

“I'm sorry to hear that.” His voice was flatter than I've ever heard it.

AJ hoofed over the sack to Jerry. “Ah wish we had enough to pay you in full, but it's a few bits short. If you go to the stand all the way down the next street, Apple Bloom will give you some free apple pies, or something.”

“Um…thank you.” He looked at the sack of bits as though it were a particularly tasty bit of food that had fallen on the ground. After a moment’s deliberation, he put it into his pocket.

Jerry scratched his head, and avoided Applejack’s gaze. Finally he looked her in the eyes. “Why?”

“Pardon?” AJ cocked an eyebrow.

“Why let ponies chase me off your land, but still pay me?”

“Because I’m an honest mare, and I ain’t going to cheat you out of the work you did, even if I never wanted you working in the first place.” AJ let out another sigh. Without another word, she trotted off.

Jerry was playing with the beads of his necklace again.

Is something wrong?

“I ruined her, Lyra. I ruined her harvest, and her livelihood.”

I flipped a page. You didn't, all those ponies that chased you are responsible.

“If Big Mac hadn't hired me, she'd still have her farm.”

It worried me to see Jerry like this. I decided to change the subject. That's their problem. Let's just focus on having a good time, and our performance. You did vocal warm ups, right?

Jerry frowned. “Was I supposed to?”

“Cupcake?” We were greeted by a smiling Pinkie Pie walking toward us. She offered a tray resting on her back. She was clad in a patchwork dress. “You two seemed to be awfully mopey, and we can't have that, not with the princess visiting! Only thrills, chills and good food on Nightmare Night!”

Jerry was momentarily offset by her sudden cordiality, but he took one look at the pastries and licked his chops, spooking a nearby colt. “Don't mind if do.”

I raised an eyebrow at Pinkie. I thought you were afraid of Jerry.

“And isn't it super duper fantastically fun to be scared out of your horseshoes?”

Jerry unwrapped one of the foils and took a bite. His eyes lit up as he chewed. “This is amazing! What do you put in these?”

“Oh shucks, a dash of this, a Dash of that. You two have super scary fun!” Pinkie giggled and bounced off.

He lifted the pastry to his mouth again.

Jerry, singers aren't supposed to eat sweets before a performance! While he was distracted reading my note, I levitated the cupcake towards me and stuffed the entire thing in my mouth. Jerry wasn't too happy about that. Once I finished, I grabbed the notepad, and pointed to the outdoor stage. Come on, let's grab a seat.

We were the first ones to arrive. We took our seats on the left side, and within moments, Bon Bon joined us. She was dressed as Sweet Hoof, some sort of candy themed villain. She was wearing a dress sewn to look like licorice, and earrings shaped like peppermints. I grimaced. I looked shabby by comparison.

I angled my notepad towards her. Did you bring the you know what?

“Oh, yep, I wrapped it up for you,” She patted a package underneath the seat. After Jerry had gotten his fishing license, I had spent hours picking out a fishing rod for him. Bon Bon said I should wait to give it as a gift. And what better occasion for gifts then our first performance together?

Bon Bon produced a piece of pumpkin bread. “Remember how I helped Carrot Top with her baking? I got something from her cart, and I thought we might share a piece.” She smiled.

Jerry and I split a cupcake already. Can't have any more, I have to watch the waistline. I poked my belly for emphasis.

“Split? That's one version of events,” Jerry scoffed. I playfully hit his shoulder.

“Oh, okay,” Bon Bon said, looking down, and dropping the bread next to her with a sigh.

I grinned. Ponies began to fill the benches. They were eager to avoid Jerry. The seats on the right half filled quickly. Reluctantly, they started filling in the left, opting for the seats furthest from the three of us. Slowly ponies took seats closer and closer to us, until there was one stallion staring hesitantly at the only seat left, directly next to Jerry. He eyed the seat, then the stage, then the human. He pulled at the collar of his costume uncomfortably.

“No one claimed this one yet, if you're looking a seat,” Jerry said.

“I, um, I... Thank you.” The stallion took to the absolute edge of the seat, giving Jerry as much breadth as possible.

I gave Jerry a reassuring smile. He sighed and settled in as the curtain on the stage was drawn.

Mayor Mare walked on stage, wearing the same clown wig she did every year. She was never one to embrace change. She made the introductions, and a hearty welcome to Princess Luna, who sat at the judge's table, alongside some other members of the town government. The princess gave a sheepish wave to the audience, eliciting a round of whistles and applause. She was much more well received this year than last. Maybe we were used to her, or maybe she stopped using that booming voice of hers.

The first contestant on stage was Rarity, with her fancy yellow ball gown. I wouldn't call it Nightmare Night material, but the crowd seemed to like it. And so the next few went up, a robot, a witch, and a scarecrow. I started getting antsy, about our upcoming performance. The moment they were done with all of the costumes, the musical performances would be next. They would call us back behind the outdoor stage, where we would wait. We were the last to sign up, so we were going to be the last to perform. My decision to “hire” Jerry and sign up for the contest was a last minute, so I wasn't surprised.

We were going to be going to be back stage for a while, just the two of us. Maybe I should give him the letter then. I looked up to him, trying to guess if that would be prudent.

He was staring straight at the stage, clenching his fist. His face contorted in rage and devastation. It was the look of a stallion watching helplessly as his home was devoured by parasprites.

I followed his gaze to the stage. There, a young colt wore a tattered pink shirt. He wore a wig of unkempt, wild hair encompassing his mane and face, and his jaw clamped down on a rubber chicken. A sling hung from his neck, containing a stuffed replica of one of Jerry's arms. He had spurted himself in splotches of ketchup, and he was growling angrily at the audience.

I tried to reach my notepad, but Jerry was already up, storming off so quickly he nearly knocked the stallion next to him off the bench. Ponies cleared away from the fuming human as he stalked out of the crowd.

I chased after him. I had no such ease navigating through the crowd. I wanted more than anything to be able to call to him. I finally managed to break through the throng of ponies, and I saw Jerry turn the corner six blocks away. I galloped after him. What I'd give to be able to shout! I got within a hundred yards of him when he turned out of the center of Ponyville, and I was so out of breath, I had to break back into a trot. I tried to give that piercing whistle he was teaching me to do, to get his attention. My efforts yielded a breathy, feeble note. Where was he going?

It was my good fortune that I knew Ponyville like the back of my ear, and Jerry was not running, but only walking at a brisk pace. I followed him to the edge of town, where the cobblestone road gave way to a beaten path, and structures gave way to trees. I gulped. He was heading to the Everfree Forest.

He was thirty yards away, heading down the winding path that led into a clearing. With a final burst of energy, I galloped forward and caught up with Jerry. I tackled him down. He thrashed and thrashed until I lit my horn, illuminating the clearing around us. We both untangled ourselves, and he got up angrily.

“Leave me alone, Lyra.”

What are you talking about? You just stormed off.

“I think it's very clear now that I'm just a god damn monster to you ponies, and that's all I'll ever be.” He continued off into the forest.

I cut him off. Where are you going? I had to levitate my notebook directly in front of his face for him to stop and read it.

“I'm finding out how to get back home, and I'm going back the way I came.”

But the forest is dangerous! You could get hurt!

“What does it matter? I'm a monster, and monsters belong in the Everfree Forest. This is where Twilight and all of those ponies want me, anyways.” In the glow of my horn, I saw that tears were rolling down his face.

Jerry leaned into a nearby tree, and slid into a sitting position, his face buried in his arms.

I walked over to him. It made my heart ache to see him like this, but I had to be the one to comfort him. I pulled out my notebook. You're not a monster, just misunderstood. I understand you. And you understand me. You're one of my best friends, Jerry, and I... I stopped writing, I didn't think this was the time to tell him.

Look, I know it might not seem like it now, in the middle of a dark creepy forest, alongside the whole costume thing, but you can find a place among ponies, and I'm going to help you every step of the way. I can't do that if you charge headfirst into the forest every time we're going on stage.

He wiped his eyes. “I guess we'll just chalk it up to stage fright.”

I gave a silent chuckle and I coaxed a small smile out of him. But there were still storm clouds in his eyes. I continued writing. I know you want to go home, and we'll find a way to do that somehow, but let's do that in a way that won't get you eaten by a chupacraba.

“I don't think I'd be welcome back home anymore.” He hugged his knees up to his chest.

Then let's focus on the here and now, we're going to make this place your home.

He gave a slight smile and a sigh. I gave a twitch of a smile back, and I felt our faces drawing closer together. I felt my heart quicken into a panicky beat. Odd, I haven't felt this way in a long time. Not since, well, not since I met Lucky.

“Lyra?”

I looked back at him. I counted to three, took a breath, and kissed him.


He blushed, and looked at me, his mouth moving, but not forming words. I grinned like an idiot. I felt the blood rush to my face, and my heart settled into a queer tempo, keeping time against my stomach filled with butterflies.

I gestured for us to make our way back to Ponyville proper. There was enough time for us to get back for our performance. I had a feeling I was going to have to stop myself from skipping all the way!

Jerry seemed to have recovered most of his scattered wits. He seemed to have something to say.

“Here's the skinny bastard!” a deep voice rang out.

Coils of rope snagged Jerry, and held him snug against the tree. I saw the gray cloud of magic fasten into a knot. His shoulders and torso were held immobile against the trunk. He struggled for freedom, and kicked his boots against the sod fruitlessly.

I ran over to try to free him, but a hoof swept out my legs, and I hit the ground hard. I looked up in horror to see Lucky wearing a vile grin. “Surprise, surprise.” He raised his hoof and I flinched. Instead of striking me, he skewered a bulb of anise onto my horn. I tried to crawl away, but he sent a jab towards my ribs, and I curled up and whimpered. “Where do you think you're going darling?”

Pokey Pierce stepped out of the shadows, his horn illuminating the scene. He examined the human with distaste. I tried to remove the bulb of anise from my horn, hoping maybe my magic could get us out of the situation, but I felt Lucky's hoof strike my cheek and I stopped.

“I didn't think you were going to rough her up that much,” Pokey said with disgust.

Lucky grunted. “That was before this damn human nearly got away from us.”

“Do you think he saw the dead pig we were setting up backstage?” Pokey asked.

Lucky chuckled. “Thought you could run away from us, you dumb ape? I guess you found out about our for you and Lyra.”

I looked fearfully at Jerry.

“What are you going to do, Lucky? Murder us? You're a fucking bastard!” Jerry screamed.

“Murder? Hardly. The only reason we came down here is to rescue my lovely Lyra from you.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

Lucky smirked. “You see, we saw you carry Lyra off into the woods, and we stopped you from hurting her. We'll be heroes, and my lovely unicorn bride will return to me. And you?” he scoffed at Jerry. “Well, we won't be seeing much of you around after tonight.”

“Lyra won't go with your stupid lie. She'll just tell everyone the truth,” Jerry retorted.

Pokey Pierce snickered. “I'm afraid Miss Heartstrings is going to have a very foggy memory of the evening, after I cast a certain memory spell I've been practicing.”

“Who the hell are you?” Jerry spat out.

“Does it matter? You should have taken the hint when we chased you off Sweet Apple Acres.” He sneered at Jerry, and then turned to Lucky. “Come, hold her still. It's important she doesn't move.”

I began to shed a tear, and looked to Jerry in sheer desperation. He didn't look back. He had his knee bent, and he was struggling like mad to reach into his boot. I caught a glint of a pink butterfly between his wiggling fingers.

Lucky bent down and whispered into my ear, “Now now, sweet Lyra. Just lie still, and this will all be over soon. We're just going to clear your pretty little head of this human's lies.”

I tried to think of any spell that could help. If only I had actually learned any spells in school. Stupid stupid stupid. I was hardly worth the horn on my head. Not that it mattered, with my horn covered. I tried to struggle out of Lucky's grip, but my efforts were rewarded with another swift kick to the stomach.

“Hell, Lucky, hold her down! I can't do this if she's moving!”

Another kick. He clutched my mane in his teeth, and yanked my head up. I saw Pokey's horn begin to glow, and I gulped. A look of concentration fell onto his face.

Fluttershy’s kitchen knife plunged deep into Pokey's neck. It was all I could do to gasp in horror as I watched Jerry stumble as he drove the blade further in, and blood spurted out of the wound. The blood soaked into Jerry's sweater, darkening the fabric. Pokey stumbled away from Jerry. He tried to gurgle something before lowering his horn, lurching forward, in a frantic attempt to gore Jerry.

Jerry side stepped the blow, but the horn caught his clothing and tore the fabric apart. He fell onto Pokey, and they wrestled, each movement twisting the blade further into Pokey's body.

I winced as I saw Pokey's hoof connect with Jerry's face.

“Holy shit,” Lucky murmured under his breath, he let my hair go, and I slumped back to the ground. He looked at Jerry struggling to extricate himself from the brawl, only to be tackled by Pokey again. The two were smeared with Pokey's blood.

Jerry grabbed the knife's handle, jerking it upwards. Pokey let out a feeble moan of agony before slumping over, his blood pooling on the ground. “Lyra!” Jerry managed to shout. He squirmed to reach us, but the brawl had taken them several yards away, and he was beneath Pokey's motionless body.

Lucky turned his attention to me. “Looks like we're going to have to erase your memories the old fashion way.”

Before I had time to react, Lucky swiveled around and bucked my forehead with all of his might.

Thump.

Thump.

Thump.

It, was... it was... It was worst pain I had ever imagined. When I opened my eyes, all I could see was that bloody, shredded bulb of anise rolling away, with a chunk of my horn still in it. I felt terribly woozy. I had to shut my eyes.

I strained my ears to hear what was happening, but I couldn't make my any sense of the series of grunts and hoofsteps and footsteps, and the ceaseless ringing in my ears.


I forced my eyes open once more, struggling to see what was happening.



Between my doubled vision I watched Lucky shoulder Pokey Pierce's limp body, and galloped as fast as he could under the dead weight. Why was he going back to Ponyville? He shouted something, but I couldn't quite make it out.

I felt Jerry scoop me up in his arms. Why wasn't he chasing after Lucky? He could stop him. I tried to protest, but I could barely keep my eyes looking the same direction, let alone grab my notepad. I always wanted him to hold me in those arms of his, but I never imagined it would be like this.

“Lyra! Are you okay?”

I struggled to lift my head, and blew a raspberry before I lost my strength and went limp into his arms again.

“Shit shit shit, don't die on me, Lyra. I need you to stay with me, please. Please.”

Die? I wasn't that bad, was I?

He started running, each of his footfalls sending a jolt of pain through my skull as I bounced in his arms. I watched pitifully as my letter, now crumpled, dropped from my costume, and onto the dark path. My ragged breathing intermingled with his as he let out an endless stream of curses. I felt my fur begin to stick to his ruined sweater as the blood dried in the cold autumn night.



I tried to stay awake, tried to process what Jerry had just done, but I felt my self slipping as the pain enveloped my mind.

Above the ringing in my ears, I heard a calling of my name, I tried to open my eyes but it made my head spin even more. I was lost within the writhing pain.

“Did Jerry do this to you?” It was all I could do to shake my head, and even that was an explosion of pain. I laid my head back down. Every bump I felt was like a stilleto driven through the base of my horn. My mind ebbed into and out of consciousness.





“Lyra... Lyra!” Bon Bon's sweet voice called me out of the darkness. I blinked my eyes opened and instantly regretted it. The bright lights were like fishhooks in my eyes. I churned, and felt scratchy cloth. Was I in a bed? I looked to the left, ignoring the shooting pain in my neck and forehead, and saw Bon Bon, still wearing her peppermint earrings.

She was crying as she held my hoof. “Thank Celestia you're awake. They said when a unicorn horn...” Her voice faltered. “You might not, might not...wake up.”


I looked at her, uncomprehending. She struggled to gather herself and continue. “Lucky told us that Walker, h–he dragged you into the woods, and he...” She broke down into sobs and threw herself onto me. I winced in pain, remembering the injuries to my body. “Damn it Lyra! Don’t you know how I feel about you? You mean the world to me. I was so scared. Please, just, just rest. The doctors say if try to use magic, you could make it worse.”

How she feels? She kissed me on the cheek. My head was reeling and I felt panic bubbling in my chest, but I couldn't remember why. I caught a glimpse of the nightstand. There, was my notepad and pen, battered and muddy, a smudge of blood, staining the corner of the pages. Beneath that, rested the wrapped fishing rod case. It shot through my head like a bolt of lightning.

Jerry.

Where was Jerry?

The events of the night came flashing back to me. I had to clear his name! They would kill him!

“Lyra, just rest,” Bon Bon pleaded. I reached out with my telekinetic grasp, and it felt like my head was going to crack open like an egg, and the insides were going to fall out. I felt the trickling on my forehead. I watched in horror as shining ichor intermingling with blood ran down my face.

“Nurse! Nurse!”

The edges of my vision slowly faded, as the pain gave way to emptiness.

Author's Note:

Edited by Ponyboy245