• Published 28th Apr 2012
  • 8,170 Views, 311 Comments

Your Wings Were Made For Angels - Still Breeze



When the universe is in trouble, it's going to take more than the magic of friendship to save it.

  • ...
30
 311
 8,170

Epilogue

Epilogue:

A dash over a year after Kerous’ futile attempt to destroy the world, Equestria has almost fully accepted the arrival of another alicorn. One who, despite never showing it, was infinitely more powerful than both of the celestial princesses combined. Though many couldn’t believe that he had died to come back the very next night, he was there, and in the flesh. And very much alive.

Cantor was a simple pony with simple ambitions and one rule to live by: Protect. Although he wasn't the bravest of ponies, still being relatively scared of the dark, the young stallion set aside his abundance of free time to better the lives of everyone and everything he possibly could.

Actually, this is a lie. He first and foremost spent all day dreaming up innovative methods of getting himself hurt, and encouraging a choir of 'I told you so's from all but one of his friends, who encouraged the act in the first place. Regardless, through all the bumps and bruises, and the occasional dismemberment, he was happy, and content with a life that could ever be spoiled.

The hype about Cantor quickly dimmed within the first two weeks of his return, yet nopony forgot what he had accomplished, especially with the stone statue of him in Canterlot gardens. He made requests for a stained window instead, and despite his best efforts of persuasion, which in no way reflected pestering, Celestia's answer remained a firm 'No', and the statue quickly became part of the landscape, along with other prestigious ponies of the past. Making the frequently inappropriate stallion feel very out of place.

The study of extra-terrestrial worlds had begun to peak Celestia's interest to the highest extent in recent times. She made a point of saying how she was certain of life outside of Equestria, but now that the possibility for finding out for definite was visible thanks to a one-of-a-kind telescope on the outskirts of Ponyville, she had initiated a deep space programme, which Cantor eagerly took the offered position of being captain of an exploration and research team to the new planet. As for Cantor himself, he simply couldn’t wait to zoom out into space to see close up the very object he had observed many times through Twilight’s high powered observatory that he had made many months ago. And though the official launch date was five months away, Cantor was counting down the weeks like a foal waiting for his birthday.

Time, as always, flew by in Equestria, but one thing he was sure of was that he and Twilight were scheduled for a very long and happy life together, readying themselves for years and years of peace and happiness. With the occasional dismemberment...

The lavender mare had taken Cantor’s gift of the observatory straight to heart, doing exactly as he had said and transformed the little telescope into her legacy, filling the walls with her beauty and in the quick year, she had already crammed a bookshelf and a half with her endless recordings from beyond the stars. A simple explanation was in order: astronomy, second only to the give and take of knowledge, was Twilight’s largest hobbyist passion, and no matter how much she had discovered, there always seemed to be something just over the horizon that caught her eye, often the cause for several pages of information about the curious lights Twilight found, none of which shining as brightly as her.

Both Cantor and Twilight still kept finding out so much about each other that they both found absolutely fascinating. Cantor discovered Twilight was quite the experienced painter, often sitting for hours in front of her observatory, overlooking the mystical horizon at the deep purple sky through stunning purple eyes and painting. Hours of sitting there on the grass next to Cantor, watching the moon journey across the infinitely vast expanse of sky, flicking a small brush over a large Canvas, creating picture-perfect landscapes to hang on her observatory walls. Cantor could sit forever and watch Twilight paint. And in fact, he did. The alicorn would snuggle close to Twilight, wrapping an enormous wing around her like a huge feathery blanket, watching her many masterpieces come to life right before his deep amber eyes.

After some time, Cantor had urged the young mare to show the books to Celestia, explaining how her new literary expertise would carry Equestria far to new fantasies and wonderful worlds waiting to be explored. Twilight Sparkle and her friends still kept up their weekly friendship reports – and now, seeing as how they had all found love somewhere along the line, their hearts were open to all the beauty in the world, and their content souls added much to it.

It was early Summer in Equestria, and the weather was gradually becoming warmer. The hot and lazy days were in view and everypony in town was eagerly waiting to use their new pools which had been installed by Ponyville’s favourite alicorn. The acts of magical prowess explained to want-to-be wizards all throughout the world, who travel for months to get a glimpse at the one who could supposedly introduce new matter to the universe from thin air, with the words "I dunno, I just do it, I guess..." Earning him a bad rapport with a large faction of powerful, scorned unicorns.

Today was scheduled to be a mildly sunny day, with a light shower towards the end of the afternoon. The pale morning glow shone through Twilight’s closed windows, throwing large squares of light onto the wooden floor below. The new spring chicks resting in their wicker nests could be heard chirping in uproar every now and then as one of their parents returned with food in their beaks. The day had begun perfect – much like every day in Equestria really… Cantor had awoken to find Twilight already staring at him, her eyes half – lidded and an enchanting expression worn upon her face. Not for the first time, Cantor woke up smiling, barely able to utter “Morning” before Twilight wrapped her lips around his. It was more of a life than he could ever ask for, and he was sure that if there was heaven on Earth, Twilight Sparkle would be his sanctuary.

As Cantor had promised, nothing had changed; things had only got better. He still told Twilight Sparkle that he loved her every day without fail and every day, she would blush profusely and say the same to him. And now, as Twilight Sparkle always did every morning with Cantor before she got to work, sitting on her small sofa with a cup of tea resting on the table and a magically prepared breakfast beside it, something was obviously on her mind. It was bothering her, and whenever that happened, (albeit rarely), the white alicorn made it his duty to find out what it was so that he could fix it.

After taking a shallow sip from his cup, Cantor turned to the uncomfortable purple unicorn and asked with expectant eyes: “Something on your mind, Twi?”

The young mare quickly shook her head, her straight mane whipping about her face as she picked up a buttered crumpet with her magic and took a feeble bite. She finished it a lot sooner than she had expected and upon swallowing, turned to face her stallion who was still burning into her eyes. She sighed a little as a response, knowing that once this particular stallion had you in this kind of eye contact, your mind was as good as his.

“What?” She asked, raising both eyebrows, the warm, creamy taste of butter still evident in her mouth.

“Oh, please, Twilight…” Cantor began, smiling warmly in the humble morning light. “I’ve known you for over two years… I know when something’s bothering you…”

“Well…” Twilight started, her eyes shifting from her plate back to those paralyzing amber eyes, hotter than fire and more attractive than gravity. “Do you remember… last weekend?” She questioned, her cheeks becoming rosy with fillyish remembrance.

Cantor’s smile widened from content to amused. “Oh, yes…” He started, taking on a light blush of his own. “I remember ‘last weekend’, Twilight…” He said with a chuckle.

“I um…” The mare began, her eyes fixated on Cantor’s, unable to break away, but also unable to shake her apprehension. “I don’t want to say… I don’t know how you’ll feel…” She finished, her eyes trembling from fright. Cantor saw this and placed a reassuring hoof on her shoulder.

“Twilight… whatever it is, you know I’ll be fine with it.” He stated, giving the mare the courage she needed to say exactly what she wanted to say in the most blunt, basic and easiest way she knew how.

“Cantor…” Twilight started, taking Cantor’s sturdy hoof in her own and grasping it tightly as she looked deep into her stallion’s eyes and finished:

“…I’m pregnant.”

Comments ( 110 )

Oh please let there be a sequel!! I mean it could start with the day that the foal is born but come on this is asking for a sequel. So are you making a sequel and if you are, when is it coming out and how long will it be?

611647 :ajsmug: Ahhh... You'll just have to wait and see :ajsmug:

A word of warning though, the foal isn't necessarily a huge thing in the sequel. in fact, the sequel is sci-fi... and horror... :unsuresweetie:

BTW, Thank you for following me :pinkiehappy:

611746 make a sequel naow

Need more of this story! PLEEAASSSSEEE :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

I demand a sequel or I will end the forsaken universe

I also request, neigh, demand a sequel as well!
All fun aside, this was a terrific story, and I shed many tears towards the end.

Also, srs about sequel.

I WANT IT NAOW! :applecry:

658517 Well Well Well I Know Things And One Of Them Is... Please Insert 20 Dollars To Hear The End Beep*

658517 O, mah gawd! XD :twilightsheepish:

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm glad you liked the story! :rainbowkiss:

There will be a sequel, but maybe in a couple of weeks; I've nearly finished one other I've been working on with someone and I've got another celestia-based one in mind, though that's going to be a really short one... :ajsmug:

Once again, thanks for your support and I'm really flattered that you liked the story so much! :pinkiehappy:

658126 There will be a sequel... :ajsmug:

And there will be blood :twilightoops:

>>Nightmare

ZOMC! This is like my first prom! :fluttershyouch:


>>Still Breeze

You're welcome! Glad to hear a sequel is on the way. I am a voracious reader, and I have read hundreds of fanfics, and many of them novella or greater in length, but yours is currently one of my very favorites (it's easily in the top 5). So knowing more high quality fiction is on the way makes me happy. :pinkiehappy:

In short, you're making this drought between seasons much more bearable, and even enjoyable. Thank you for all of your hard work. :twilightsmile:

665309 I Know The Plot Hahahahaha, Anyways While You Wait My Good Sir/Madame Wouldn't You like some Good Quaility Clop ?

665324

Hm, why yes, kind Filly and/or Gentlecolt. Your offer intrigues me. :trollestia:

665342 Well There It Is Waiting For Approval, Also I was Prereader For This Fic And I Will be for The Next..... MWHAHAHAHAHAHA

Waiting for approval? So it hasn't been released yet?

665309 OMG :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

Thank you so much! I never thought my story would receve such kind words! :twilightsheepish::twilightsheepish:

It really means a lot to me to read a review like that! XD :rainbowlaugh:

665309 Do yo want to see what I've been doing with my time so far?... :ajsmug:

You evil pony you... Ending it with those two words!!! :rainbowhuh: You enjoy causing head explody?!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/Xiao-Mei/JTHM/jthm7.gif

Fantastic story though. Little typos here and there but genius all up. Keep up the awesome work!!!

772670 Thanks! :twilightsmile: Glad you liked it! :rainbowkiss:

There are good stories, and there are bad stories. This is none of those.

This is one of the truly exceptional stories that truly stand out and really needs more recognition.

Stories where the main character, often a human, finds himself an Alicorn, a winged pegasus (which sounds utterly ridonculous), and the author bothches it horribly. Making an alicorn, the picture of perfection, look... mortal, is a truly stunning feat. This story does just that. It makes the people who see "Romance" and "Human" scoff look like idiots. Then they read on, and see that the character is now an Alicorn, and they think "Oh, another Gary-Stu! Never seen that before!", then proceed to thumb it down.

The first few chapters are... a bit wonky to be honest, the character seems a bit overbearing and a little... narcissistic in the way he's portrayed. That's until the story really kicks in. The overhanging feeling of doom just fits so perfectly, the fact that you've managed to balance a bit of fatalism with the joy of just being alive is, and this word just doesn't really do it honor, awesome.

I love this story. Even if I finished it in one go, and I can't wait to get on to the sequel, I will probably remember this for as long as I live. Or at least until I find something more awesome and start gushing over that. I have horrible memory...

Ratings:
Originality: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Story: 5/5
Shipping: 7/5
Ending: 10/5
Over all: 6/5

I wish I could fave this harder... myeah.

NOW WRITE THE SEQUEL DAMNIT!

851525 Oh. My. God... :pinkiegasp:

That is the most amazing comment I've ever read! Thank you so much for your words! :pinkiehappy:

You've summed up my story perfectly, and I can't thank you enough for reading on even with the fact that the main character was not only a human in Equestria, but also that he's an alicorn, which you stated quite rightly is what would make people thumb down and leave! :rainbowlaugh:

I agree 120% with you on the fact that the first half of the story isn't anywhere near as good as the last 9 chapters, but unfortunately, this means I've set the bar accedentally rediculously high with my very first piece of writing anything! :twilightblush: And that the sequel will never live up to it! :trollestia:

Wanna know something interesting? The ship with Twilight was completely accidental; at first, I was going to ship Cantor with Applejack, then it was Luna for a very long while, but instantly as I wrote "You can sleep in my bed if you like.", I was certain he was going to fall in love with Twilight :twilightsmile: Awwwww...

Anyway, thank you again so much for your superb comment! It literally means the world to me, and unfortunately, I can't give you any more thanks than my word, and because of people like you, I can garuntee you more fics like that! :yay:

Thank you, dear sir! :scootangel:

851645

You're quite welcome :pinkiehappy:

So... seriously, I saw the TwiCantor ship from their first meeting...

And you never considered Celestia? Why? Really, I've seen ONE fic that ships Celestia, and that wasn't all that good, with a human... Well except from the occational... you know.

I've seen Luna be shipped with just about anything and anyone. Seriously, I've read over 15 million words on this site, I know! All I see is the TwiLestia fics... The old gal needs some more love from the HiE community...

And no. Thank you, for providing this excellent piece of entertainment!

871570 It's a reference to a story called "the Hoofwitch Horror".

It's more of a thing for people who have read that story, but yeah... I think I overdid it with the references in this story... :applejackunsure:

923279 I love you! :pinkiehappy:

I just hope the sequel doesn't ruin it for you... :pinkiesad2: (It hasn't picked up to anything very interesting as yet, so don't look at me when I'm getting dressed) ...If you know what I mean... :trixieshiftright:

Still, I'm overjoyed that you like this story - I went back and read a couple of chapters, and I have to say, I don't really see that much in it... :applejackunsure:

But, I digress! Thank you for your wonderful comments! :rainbowkiss:

924164
Again, you're quite welcome. I just finished it, again, and I still love it. The pacing is just perfect, the happy and sad parts are laugh-inducing and tear jerking...

There's a few typo's and the like, but eh, they're not important. The story is just so good, and I've noticed a few new things. Like the fact that he's not immortal, which is great! Well, not in the sense that it's great that he'll die, but still.

People can take so much from how you've handled the whole Alicorn situation. Balancing him just right to not become a Mary Sue, yet making him as powerful as several gods put together...

Even if this can probably be categorized as 'light reading' I still find it a literary masterpiece, or at least a pretty good story :P

And to be honest, I love that it has an ending. I see so many HiE fics just go on forever, and never really get anywhere, while this had a definite end in sight from the start. Ah, good times, good times. I've really enjoyed reading this, so even if you don't get around to making a sequel, keep writing.

Again, to be honest, it doesn't really need a sequel, maybe a second 'epilogue' or a stand-alone story for the birth of their child. The story ties of beautifully right where it ends. There are no loose strings, and everything is neatly wrapped up. So, while I'd undoubtedly enjoy a sequel, it's not really all that necessary.

Thanks again for writing this :3

EDIT: Okay, I've seen that you've already started the sequel, so I'll get right on that... Didn't notice, sorry :P

928076 Thank you very much! :rainbowkiss:

And thank you for following me as well! :yay: That's great!

I agree 100% with you about the ending, that, it doesn't require a sequel at all. But I just kind of wanted to continue the story as exactly how you put it: a stand alone story. Though it's in the same universe as this story, the main plot is a lot less... 'intense' than saving the world. But still, hopefully it will be enjoyable. :moustache:

(Also, I just wanted to try out writing horror.) :scootangel:

Thank you so much again for following me, and I love how you do such a better job of analysing it than me! :twilightsheepish:

1077573 Oh, god... I love you! :yay::yay::yay:

To all your comments: :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Thank you very much for the amazing feedback! :pinkiehappy:

Love this story, not a word of lie it needs more praise! It's defiantly in my top 10, and I've read a lot!

1183979 Thanks! It means a lot to me to hear that! :pinkiehappy:

1238507 Grfenderfm!

Thanks for the great feedback, but I didn't plan it at all! My initial ideas for the main storyline must have changed 5 times over the time it took to write it! :derpytongue2:

1266536 Yeah, I saw that too, lol :rainbowlaugh:

Spacecowboy
Moderator

Loved this story, it did a very good job throughout of conveying everything that makes a story just that much better than others. The sweetness of the relationship with Twi, the humbleness of Cantor, and all the events that build up and occur were amazingly well handled, and honestly at times the feels were overloading on the senses! Really glad of the ending too, bittersweet tales are true heartbreakers that make me cry way too many manly tears, and I enjoyed having those avoided. And this was my second time through the story, hehe.

Although looking at the sequel, not sure if it fits what I typically read. Heartfelt romance to Sci Fi Tragedy/Dark/Horror with Gore Tag? Ehhhh.... I'll try to keep an open mind, but that's not really my cup of tea.

This story will here will probably get a 3rd read through at some point.

1579228 Thanks, mate! I really appreciate your words! :rainbowkiss:

To be honest, I'm really surprised this story is getting fresh readers; it's quite old now. In any circumstance, I appreciate all views, and I especially appreciate feedback (especially when it's positive feedback!) :rainbowlaugh:

Thanks a lot for reading, and also for the watch! :yay:

Spacecowboy
Moderator

1579570
First time I read it found it by searching through Human + Romance tags and sorted by rating. Went through 50ish pages filling out my Read Later list, and this story went straight to my favorites for reading sometime soon. Was well worth it, although I forgot to leave a comment the first time around. Gotta ask, how bleak does the sequel get? I have a really hard time getting through really dark stuff, although I do plan on giving it a go regardless.

1579877 Personally, I don't like the start of the sequel; it's about 60,000 words of foreshadowing until it really kicks in. It's not bad per-say... but nothing uniquely 'exciting' happens.

By 'bleak', I suppose you mean 'gory', well if you don't like gore, I'd steer well clear of this story since a lot of ponies are going to be killed very brutally. Personally I don't think it's healthy to have a mind that can conjure up such gruesome images. But hey, what can I do, right? :pinkiecrazy:

1797382 :rainbowlaugh: Lol, you're crazy!

Enjoying the story so far? Just a few chapters to go! :twilightsmile:

1872704 Thanks! :twilightblush:

Yeah, this story's much better than its sequel - and I've yet to write more stories I've got good ideas for, but it may have to wait; my laptop is about to die and it's not re-charging, sooo, I may also have to resort to writing through my Playstation! :rainbowlaugh:

1876707 Naahhh... I think I just overdid her shyness by a mile - its my first story, and I hadn't had much experience with charachter development and such... :applejackunsure:

I will re-edit these early chapters; I already have done the later ones: chapter 13 and onwards are the best, sooo... yeah! Thanks for reading! I'm glad you're enjoying it. :twilightsmile:

P.S: I've 'commandeered' another laptop: it's my sisters one, and in a word, it's... shit. :applejackunsure: Oh, well... it gets the job done at least! :raritywink:

1913630 Whoa! :twilightsheepish:

:rainbowlaugh: That was certainly 'interesting' to read. I had no Idea one apple tree would produce a couple thousand apples per year; I would have said 60 would be pushing it!

So, really, what Sweet Apple Acres needs to have is less trees, but more apples on each. Interesting...

It's certainly an odd sensation knowing that something I've wrote with a surplus of disregard had spurred so much research. Thanks! :twilightsmile: I'll definitely revise that! :twilightblush:

1914224>>1977029

Like I said, I hope you didn't take that as a dig on your writing, I just got curious enough to do research because as an engineer with an eye for when numbers are off, I have a pathelogical need to do math. I did think it was pretty funny though. And for the record, I was surprised about the number of apples per earth tree as well, but... well, I showed you the research I did.

1977049 That's cool. :twilightsmile: I wish I had some kind of passion for maths - despite, I still somehow got an A in my GCSE...

>Was probably pure luck! :facehoof:

Thanks anyway, I have changed the numbers around to something I hope is a little more realistic! :twilightblush:

1987543 Thanks! :twilightblush:

I think Blaze and Cantor would get along - but Blaze would totally be Cantor's bitch! :rainbowlaugh:

Or, there could be some kind of epic alicorn battle! :derpytongue2:

1990166 Well, Its a reference to my favourite story: "Allegrezza" by Coffee Grunt

This kinda answers both your questions; in "Allegrezza", which, and SPOILERS, is Vinyl Scratch + Octavia shipping, Vinyl's aura goes a similar colour to Octavia's coat: like a dark grey instead of white :raritywink:

There's another reference to "Allegrezza" in chapter 13, where Vinyl shows Cantor the band with the Amethyst treble clef and replies after Cantor's comment of "It's beautiful" with "I know she is..." Referring to Octavia on stage! :twilightblush:


I'm glad to see you're enjoying the story so far, and to delve a little into the sequel: I believe in 'all's well that ends well.' In short, I'm not as proud of the sequel as I am of this one; the writing quality is better, but the story and shipping isn't half what it is in this! :facehoof: Though I've got a very powerful ending in mind! :derpytongue2:

I-I'll let you read it and decide for yourself! :twilightblush:

1992762 Your comment made me laugh. And smile! :raritywink:

Yeah, this is definitely one of my favourite chapters to write, so I'm thrilled it served its purpose! :twilightsmile: Thank you for your very kind words! :twilightblush:

Login or register to comment