• Published 27th Apr 2012
  • 5,278 Views, 220 Comments

Gentle Red - Collins4112



Due to a series of events Big Macintosh and Ditzy/Derpy meet

  • ...
12
 220
 5,278

propose

Hello. I really appreciate the support that the story is receiving. Thank you. And I don't think the story would be as good without my Beta reader, BlackRoseReaven.

We rejoin Ditzy and Big Macintosh a few weeks after Ditzy's ordeal.

Ditzy walked with her daughter to school. The temperature was cool with the mid fall air. Dinky trotted along happily with her mother. Ditzy looked down at her daughter, who had look that she wanted to tell her something but didn't at the same time. Ditzy had a feeling that she knew what her daughter wanted to tell her.

Ever since she heard Big Macintosh ask her daughter for permission to marry her, she got excited every time they were in any situation that could be even the slightest bit romantic. She had even flirted with him to get him to spill the beans, but all it did was confuse him

"Okay Muffin we're here, have a good day at school." Ditzy kissed her daughter on the forehead as they arrived at the elementary school.

"I will mommy!" Dinky said excitedly. Then she looked behind her mother. "Howdy Macintosh."

"Well, howdy Dinky." Ditzy heard the familiar deep voice behind her. "Y'all listen to you mother and have a good day now."

"Okay Macintosh, Ah will... I mean I will." Dinky giggled and hopped off to school.

"In no time she'll be talking like you." Ditzy laughed.

"Now, Ah don't see anything wrong with that." Big Macintosh teased. Ditzy leaned into the farm pony. He nuzzled her gently.

"I finished my route early... We could...ahem..." Ditzy smiled slyly. Macintosh's eyes widened.

"Well...Ah...." Big Macintosh stammered. Ditzy laughed: this wasn't the first time she had teased him like this. She couldn't help herself; it was so rare she could knock him off kilter.

"Relax, Mac, I was only kidding....or was I?" Ditzy said seductively. He swallowed nervously. Ditzy giggled.

"Well, anyway, Ah got work to do on the farm. Winter's comin' and we got to finish a lot before we settle in." Big Macintosh tried to change the subject. Ditzy smiled at his attempt.

"That's okay, honey." Ditzy said. "We can still spend time together later, right?"

Big Macintosh's expression softened. "Sure we can, Sugar Cube."

Ditzy kissed him gently. He gave a half smile. Ditzy loved that smile. "Great!"

"Well, Sugar Cube, Ah got to get back to work. Big Macintosh said. Ditzy thought for a moment as the red stallion began to walk away.

"Mac, can I come to work with you?" Ditzy asked hopefully. He turned his head and raised an eyebrow.

"Ya sure ya want to come? It can be a might boring." He warned.

"I don't care... I'll be bored anyway." Ditzy said. Macintosh thought it over for a moment.

"Alright." He said. Ditzy smiled and walked along with her beloved stallion. He didn't seem to take very much notice of her.

The walk was short to Sweet Apple Acers. They walked on in not saying anything. Ditzy just followed him as he went into the apple tree rows. Ditzy looked on in confusion as Macintosh bucked a tree, and only a few dead branches fell.

"Uhhhh... Macintosh, that tree has no apples on it. If fact, none of these trees have apples on them." Ditzy gave a questioning look to Macintosh.

Big Macintosh chuckled. "Well, we got to get all the branches down before winter comes."

"Oh..." Ditzy felt silly for asking. "Why don't you buck with both legs?"

Ditzy heard him chuckle a little bit again. "Applejack doesn't like it when I buck with both legs."

His statement confused her. She tried to understand what he meant by that. He continued to buck the trees and the dead branches fell to the ground.

"Why?" Ditzy decided to finally ask.

"Applejack doesn't like it when I break the trees." Big Macintosh said in a flat voice. Ditzy couldn't help but laugh.

"Oh come on, Mac, you’re just boasting." Ditzy said. Big Macintosh looked like we was offended. Ditzy saw this and decided to play on it. "Do it. I dare you."

Big Macintosh smiled as he flexed his muscles. He put his weight on his front legs. He brought his rear legs back to make contact with the tree. Ditzy gasped as the tree made a loud cracking sound. The tree started to lean at an odd angle. The tree had a split to about halfway down its center.

"Mac...how..." Ditzy looked on in awe. Macintosh had a proud smile on his face. Then he took a look at the tree and his face fell.

"We best be getting out of here, before Applejack comes to investigate." Big Macintosh said. He began to gallop away. Ditzy struggled to keep up with him.

After that Macintosh continued to show her what he did on the farm. He provided the brute force that kept the place running, pulling the plow and the carts, bucking apples, and keeping the crops healthy.

After all that it was still only noon. Big Macintosh led her back to the house, where Granny Smith had a large lunch set out.

"Who's this young mare, Macintosh?" Granny Smith asked slowly.

"This is Ditzy, Granny, you've met her before." Big Macintosh said.

Granny seemed lost in thought for a moment. "Oh yes, you're the one where Macintosh sowed his seed."

Ditzy blushed hard at Granny Smith's brash statement. She looked over at Big Macintosh and she could swear his coat got darker red.

"Well...umm..." Ditzy managed to stammer out.

"Yes, that's right. You're such a delicate thing... How'd he not break ya when...?" Granny didn't get to finish her sentence.

"Granny, that's not something to talk about." Big Macintosh managed to stop her talking. Ditzy stood there awkwardly until Granny Smith managed to drift off to sleep in her rocking chair. Ditzy followed Big Macintosh to the table where food was waiting, but so was his sister.

"Ah see we have a visitor." Applejack said with little emotion in her voice. Macintosh shot her a look.

"Now, Applejack don't be like that." Big Macintosh said gently. In response, Applejack rolled her eyes. They sat down to a relatively nice meal, albeit quiet. "Shoot. Ah left the plow out. Ah'll be right back."

Big Macintosh pushed out from the table and trotted down the hallway and out the door. Ditzy glanced at Applejack, who didn't look up from the plate. Ditzy sighed and decided to ask the question she had wanted to for a while.

"Why do you hate me?" Ditzy asked. This provoked a reaction from Applejack.

"Ah don't hate ya." Applejack responded, but the emotion in her voice betrayed her.

Ditzy thought over this a moment. Okay, so she doesn't hate me personally, but she doesn't like me, that's for sure.

"Do you have a problem with me being with Macintosh?" Ditzy tried another approach. The orange mare looked up from the table and directly at Ditzy.

"Well...yes Ah do." Applejack said, her bluntness surprised Ditzy. "Ah was hopin' that Macintosh would find a nice workin' pony, who could help 'round the farm. And Ah hoped he would find a pony that would be responsible enough to not have a daughter with somepony she couldn't stay with."

Applejack felt pride as she saw she scored a hit on the pegasus.

"Well...I...I...was..." Ditzy stuttered, the sting on tears in her eyes.

"What? Irresponsible?" Applejack thought she finished Ditzy's sentence. She felt another burst of pride as she saw she scored another emotional hit.

"Raped." Ditzy said very quietly, but Applejack could still hear it. Applejack's face dropped, and so did her heart. Here all along she had been the jerk. Making remarks at the poor pony that had been though such a horrific event. Applejack felt even worse because she had felt pride scoring emotional hits against Ditzy.

"Oh my...Ditzy...Ah've been a heel." Applejack sputtered out. Ditzy wasn't going to argue with that. Ditzy looked up from the table at Applejack, who sheepishly looked back. "Ah'm sorry. Ah know that Ah've been... Rude..."

"More than that..." Ditzy put in.

"Ahem...yes more than rude, but ya gotta understand that Ah love my big brother, and due to...circumstances he had to grow up too fast. He hasn't had too much to enjoy in his life. All Ah want is for him to be happy." Applejack tried to reason why she had been unkind to Ditzy.

"And you don't think I want that too?" Ditzy demanded. She wasn't keen on Applejack's sudden change in attitude.

"Well... Ah don't know, do ya?" Applejack made her question more harsh than she meant to.

"Of course I do. I love how he's gentle and how he always knows what to say to make me feel better. I love how no matter how much I complain, he's always there with a shoulder to cry on. I love how he treats Dinky like his own, even though he has very little reason to." Ditzy felt herself starting to go on about how much she loved him. "I love him Applejack. Why can't I do that?"

"Ditzy... If y'all truly love him that much..." Applejack stood from the table and walked over to Ditzy. Ditzy looked at the orange mare, and to her surprise Applejack hugged her. "Welcome to the family!"

"Well...um...thank you." Ditzy managed to get out before returning the hug.

"It's nice to see y'all getting along." They heard Macintosh walk back into the room. "Ooo... And y'all left me some food, too."

Big Macintosh eyed the food on the table. Ditzy wisely stepped out of his way when he began to start eating again. They had pleasant table conversation, but Applejack had to get back to work. When Applejack left, Big Macintosh went over to a drawer and pulled out an old money box.

"What's that?" Ditzy asked. Big Macintosh opened the box and began to look over the papers inside.

"Bills." Big Macintosh responded, not looking up from the papers. He had a pen in between his teeth, making changes to the writing on the paper.

"Huh? Seems like something Applejack would do." Ditzy voiced her thoughts. Big Macintosh looked up from the papers; he had a wide grin on his face.

"She does." He said with a chuckle. He pointed to some writing on the paper. "She just awful at it. Look, to tell if we made bits or lost bits she puts a smiley face or a frowny face."

Ditzy looked at the writing and laughed. Macintosh started to laugh too. "Why do you let her do the bills?"

"Because Ah don't have the heart to tell her." Big Macintosh sighed. "So Ah hope Apple Bloom's good at math."

__________
It was late afternoon by the time Big Macintosh had finished all the work he had for the day. Ditzy was once again surprised at the amount of work that Macintosh put in for a single day.

"Well, Mac, you certainly do a lot around here." Ditzy commented as she leaned affectionately into him. He flashed her a half smile.

"What would you like to do now, Sugar Cube?" Big Macintosh asked. Ditzy thought on it a moment.

"Take a walk?" Ditzy suggested. Macintosh nodded his large head.

"That sounds mighty nice." Big Macintosh answered. "But first Ah need to get something from the barn."

Big Macintosh walked to the barn with Ditzy by his side. He opened the door and they both walked in. Macintosh walked over to a pile of hay and began to rummage around in it. Ditzy took a look around the old barn.

"Here it is!" Big Macintosh said, but Ditzy wasn't paying attention. He turned himself around to look at her. She noticed the way he was looking at her, it was strange, but he walked a little closer to her. Then she noticed a small black box in his hoof.

Her mind started to spin at a million miles an hour. Her heart raced and she began to have the feeling she was going to be jumping like a filly soon. She felt like everything was in slow motion, too. Her whirlwind of excitement climaxed as he asked her the question that she had been waiting for a long time.

"Ditzy, Ah love ya. Y'all are the best thing to happen to me in my life. Would ya make me the happiest stallion in all of Equestria and be my wife?" Big Macintosh popped the question. Ditzy felt faint but she heard herself speak.

"Oh, Macintosh. Yes, yes, YES!" She exclaimed. Macintosh gave a whinny of joy. Ditzy looked down at the jewel encrusted wedding band. It was probably the most expensive thing she had ever worn. She felt giddy as she held out a hoof for him to slide it onto her leg.

"Y'all wouldn't believe how long it took me to build up the confidence to ask ya." Big Macintosh sighed. He would have continued on but he was stopped by Ditzy kissing him deeply.

"PARTY!" A loud yell could be heard as the sound of a cannon went off. Pinkie Pie flew through the door of the barn. "Happy engagement you two!"

"How did you...?" The lovebirds asked in unison.

"My Pinkie sense." Pinkie explained. "Luckily it gave me enough time to plan you this great party!"
__________
A lot more ponies were at the party then Ditzy expected. There were games, food, and dancing. It was almost overwhelming. Carrot Top raced up to her engaged friend with utter glee on her face.

"Oh, Ditzy I'm so excited for you!" Carrot Top gushed. Ditzy's smile grew larger as she saw her friend was as excited about the wedding as she was. "You've got yourself the cream of the crop, too!"

They looked over at Macintosh, who was talking to one of his friends, Carmel, if she recalled right. They didn't look nearly as excited as the mares did, but Ditzy could see how happy Macintosh was.

Dinky came up quickly to her mother, and Dinky looked happily up at her. "Took him long enough."

"He sure did!" Carrot Top exclaimed. The night was filled with games, dancing, and all around fun. Ditzy had more fun that than she had in a long time. She made sure she didn't get anywhere near the punch for two reasons. One, she hadn't had a great experience with it last time, and two, she knew she shouldn't be drinking with a foal, but that didn't stop her from having fun.

She even had a dance with Macintosh. She quickly learned he wasn't good at dancing, but she led him through the movements. He still wasn't any good, but she didn't care: she was dancing with the stallion she loved.

Pinkie had overlooked something. She had planned a hay ride for the fillies and colts, but the pony who always pulled the hay ride was Big Macintosh. Dinky would have rather he stayed, but Macintosh wouldn't have the colts and fillies disappointed so he pulled the cart anyway.

"It's sure to be a magical night." Carrot Top nudged Ditzy in the side. Ditzy blushed.

It truly was a magical night.

Thank you all for reading. I hope you all enjoy