• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,314 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,314

PreviousChapters Next
This Sure Ain't His First Rodeo

Rainbow Dash glided down two full flights of revolving stairs. Her wingtips brushed against flickering electric lanterns. The interior of the Stronghold was surprisingly dim, as if the Syndicate was conserving energy in every manner possible. It was already difficult to see, and it didn't help that the walls had a charcoal black color to their metal surfaces.

“Goodness, me!” Rarity wheezed. “I can't see my own fair nose in front of my eyes! Rainbow, do be a dear—for us and for yourself—and light the way with that Element of yours!”

“No can do, Rares,” Rainbow whispered, hovering to a stop as she lingered above a dimly-lit corridor. She reached forward, felt a few metal support beams, and shifted her descent in order to avoid the obstacles. “This place might be mostly empty, but I'll be darned if I give away my position.”

“She's right, Rarity,” Twilight said. “Besides, she's done this sort of thing before, several times.” Twilight glanced aside while floating down. “Right, Rainbow?”

Rainbow was dead silent.

Twilight blinked. “Rainbow—” She gasped as she and Rarity were yanked aside.

Rainbow had zipped to the far corner of the stairwell. Holding her breath, Rainbow flew up into the bottom corner of a platform's underside and scrunched her body against the crook of the adjoining walls. There, she perched—petite and poised—like a fuzzy blue spider. She watched with squinting eyes as three... four... five stallions galloped up the steps, armed with crossbows and clubs.

“...what could they possibly need us for this time?”

“Something collapsed outside the front gates. A lamppost or something.”

“Verlaxion's dusty womb! I thought Boss Revan was going to fix this junkheap!”

“Shhh! Quit complaining already! This is still the best job available on this floating bucket!”

“Yeah, yeah... let's go outside and play 'construction ponies' already...”

Once the crowd had shuffled by, Rainbow Dash stuck her neck out of hiding. She exhaled with relief, as did her ghostly companions beside her.

“Well done, Rainbow!” Twilight said.

“I concur.” Rarity shuddered. “It's a shameful thing that neither of us noticed their presence ahead of time!”

“It's all gravy,” Rainbow whispered, peeking down at the lower end of the stairwell as she slowly descended. “Not like I can't cover my own flank or nothing.”

“Is it just me, or are these ruffians... well... less formidable than I had assumed they were?” Rarity remarked.

“I was thinking the same thing,” Twilight said.

“Still, not gonna mess with them,” Rainbow muttered, eyes firm. “Never underestimate stupid thugs with nothing better to live for.”

“I'm not sure what depresses me more,” Twilight remarked. “That such is a universal truth in this world, or the fact that you've experience an awful lot to come to that conclusion.”

“I've experienced enough,” Rainbow muttered, zipping down at a faster rate. “Rarity... which way to the maintenance corridor?”

“Uhm... that way!” Rarity pointed. “Two more floors down and to the south!”

“Right...” Rainbow sped down in sporadic dashes, hiding behind one platform after another. “Here's hoping that Silence McGriffon hasn't gotten his goose cooked without me.”

“Silly Rainbow.” Rarity giggled. “Who would ever cook a goose?”

Rainbow sighed long and hard.

“Is... is something the matter?”

“One of these days... just one... I wanna break into a cider mill.” And Rainbow pressed on.


“The truth is, the Syndicate is running out trustworthy hooves,” Revan said from where he paced. “Ponies are leaving the city of Rust in droves.”

“What a cryin' shame.” Bard reclined, smirking. “I wonder why that is.”

“It doesn't matter,” Revan said bluntly. “The reality is that we're surrounded more and more by riff raff with each passing day. This city could certainly use strong ponies that I can rely on.” He shuffled across the office and sat at his desk, staring across the way at Bard. “Ponies who show that they're both qualified and loyal.”

“Mmmmm...” Bard rubbed his hoof against his chest and pretended to examine the fetlock. “Ponies like me, I'm guessin'.”

“You've proven to be more than exceptional in apprehending our leafy-eared friend here,” Revan said with a smug grin.

“Oh... heheh... shucks.” Bard took his hat off and fanned himself. “You bet!” He glanced aside, clearing his throat slightly. “Did it all by myself, too... Eeeeyup...”

“A stallion with your resources could keep a trained eye out for other ponies with similar skills,” Revan said. “It'd undeniably allow the working body of my oranization to be significantly enriched, by your exceptional graces...”

“And it'd be mighty convenient for ya too, I reckon.”

Revan tilted his head aside, squinting. “How do you mean?”

“Y'all tell me!” Bard shifted the weight of his guitar case and smiled. “Seems that havin' me on board as yer new thug would mean drawin' my pay out over time instead of givin' me the six thousand glittery bits you owe all at once.”

Revan simply stared at the mercenary.

“T'ain't my first rodeo, ya feel me?” Bard remarked with a wink. “And, in case yer wonderin', I can read... which is how I know there ain't no fine print on yer bounty posters, partner.”

Revan took a long, calm breath before saying, “A partnership with the Syndicate could be mutually beneficial.”

“Heh heh heh heh...” Bard tossed his hair back and plopped his hat back down. “Reckon ya say that to all the handsome bounty hunters.”

“And...” Revan folded his forelimbs together. “...it'd mean a far richer lifestyle in the long run. That is to say, a great deal richer than a rough life in the sea and air, rushing from one bounty to another, devoid of common luxuries.”

“Heheheheheh...”

“...for you and your fellow companion,” Revan said.

Bard froze in place, blinking.

“I'm referring, of course, to the one that my eyes in the streets saw you associating with in and out of the taverns of the Dust District,” Revan remarked. “The silent griffon with the ice cold goggles?”

The mercenary squirmed where he sat.

“You see...” Revan shrugged, smiling smoothly. “...it's not my first rodeo either, Mr. Bard. So, perhaps you should ask yourself...” His orange brow furrowed: “'What's best for my companion as well as for me?' After all,there may be plenty of fish in Verlaxion's sea, but it's not often you stumble upon a beached whale. Here in Rust?” Revan gestured. “This is where the meat's at, my friend. Everyone that's everyone floats through here at one point or another, just begging to be turned in or captured. You know this. So what do you want for your bounty hunting career? A tender morsel to carry you on to the next sweaty, bloody job? Or a warm seat at the dinner table every morning and evening for as long as you live? I promise you... it's not something that the jerkoffs of Mudtop or Shoggoth would ever offer you.”

Silence.

Bard glanced over his shoulder.

Echo glanced up at him, his slitted eyes blinking.

“Mmmmm... eheheh...” Bard sat up straight, clearing his throat. “Just... uhm... how much a month in bits are we talkin' about...?”

PreviousChapters Next