• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,313 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,313

PreviousChapters Next
Leave the Thinking To the Eggheads

“Whoop! And he knocked the wind out of my wings!”

“I drank his blood! Warmer than milk from the teat!”

“Hah! I could have sworn we got a hundred feet of air from that one splash!”

“He'll only be angrier the next time he shows up! Maybe he'll spit two canoes at us?!”

“Or three!”

“Ha ha!”

“Whoop!”

“Mrmmmfff...” Rainbow Dash stirred, her face wincing as she became aware of every aching muscle in her body. “Those voices had better mean I'm waking up on the shore,” she muttered. “Cuz if the afterlife is full of that kind of dialogue, then I wanna become an alicorn pronto.”

“You're fine, Rainbow Dash,” Twilight Sparkle said.

“They dragged you here in one piece,” Sinrar spoke over the unicorn's voice.

“Are... any of my limbs broken?” Rainbow wheezed.

“Fraid not, harpy.”

“Meh.” Rainbow's eyes fluttered opened. “There goes any good excuse.”

The old stallion helped her up into a sitting position. Exhausted, Rainbow gazed past Twilight towards the surf. Kaji, Silver, and Sora were gathered in front of a mess of natives, boasting about the recent escapade. The Nealenders—young and old—listened with gaping expressions plastered to their muzzles. A single canoe and several shattered spears lay in the sand, and the Swan Song was moored in the shallow water. The ocean was completely devoid of any massive serpent.

“Guess Ultimo didn't bite the coral,” Rainbow muttered.

“Not even remotely.” Sinrar adjusted his beret. “Poor bastards had to drag you to shore.” He fidgeted. “Not that there's... anything wrong with that or nothing.”

“I will say this,” spoke a deep voice. Rainbow turned to see Theanim Mane shuffling up. The stallion smiled in spite of his haggard condition. “I've never known the locals here to retreat from anything. The fact that they stopped stabbing that big fish to retrieve you... well...” He winked. “It's a sign of respect if I've ever seen one.”

“Unngh...” Rainbow rubbed her scalp. “That's some lame respect.”

“Rainbow...” Twilight sighed.

“Oh, you did a number on that beast, for sure,” Theanim remarked. “And I've got the film to prove it!” His face brightened. “Come to think of it... I'd better go get this developed! Do not go anywhere!” He galloped beyond the nearby treeline.

As Rainbow followed the stallion's movement, she spotted Nick squatting across from Flare. The pegasus mare was slowly recuperating from her concussed state. A Nealender or two hoofed her a hollow coconut to drink out of, all the while Nick engaged her in pleasant conversation.

“Hmmmf...” Rainbow exhaled. “Looks like somepony saved the day, at least.”

“Hah!” Sinrar smirked. “You should have seen the clever bastard! He leapt into the Swan Song like it was his mother's pouch and sailed that thing faster than a dry knife through wet wind!”

Rainbow turned to blink at him. “...is that so?”

“Oui! Could have outrun the beast if he wanted to! Instead, he chose to throw his head in for the girl. Hmmph... figures. But that'll give the backwards phantom worshippers here something to chew on for decades!”

Rainbow squinted. The barest hint of a smirk crossed her muzzle. “If I didn't know better, I'd say you were proud of the kid.”

“Well you could certainly say—” Sinrar's amber eyes crossed. He instantly gnashed his teeth. “Imbecile! Do you think I'm that much of a demented flake?”

“Nah.” Rainbow shook her head. “I think you're flakier.”

“Nrnrghhh...” Sinrar gritted his teeth, then trudged off in a huff. “Bah! I've got better things to be doing with my time! Like fastening a new cane out of petrified coral! Merde! That'll give you something to stab the fish's eyes out!”

Upon hearing that, Rainbow Dash instantly shuddered. She hugged herself and slumped back into the sand, staring up at a blue sky with errant seagulls. “I really bucked things up, didn't I?”

“Oh Rainbow...” Twilight reclined her phantom limbs on the earth beside her. She exhaled through a sigh. “If I were in your place, I'd have hesitated as well.”

“Only you were never in my place,” the pegasus muttered. “Nor were you in all the times previous. But today...?” She shook her head. “I just couldn't do the badflank thing.”

The air was silent for a while. Eventually, Twilight spoke. “I... I-I suppose it's my fault.”

Rainbow turned to squint at her. “Why you?”

Twilight fidgeted. “Ever since you and I reunited, I've been... a back-seat flier.”

“Heh... that's a bit too much to chew,” Rainbow said, smirking. “You haven't got wings.”

“Still. Every time you've done something daring or courageous or risky—like you've always done—I've been... acting like a mother hen.”

“Well, no offense, Twilight, but it's kinda sorta in your blood,” Rainbow said. “Along with being an anal egghead.”

“Pffft!” Twilight frowned at her. “I am not an anal eggh—”

Rainbow's eyebrow was already arched.

Twilight's lips hung open. Her ears folded back as she blushed. “Unnngh... I'm helpless.”

“I know,” Rainbow muttered. “Which is why I should be doing my darnedest to bring you back.” She glanced back at the sky with a lethargic expression. “To bring you all back.”

“Don't be so hard on yourse—”

“You know—I've been thinking about Ultimo. Such a huge friggin' thing. Like... aren't sea serpents and oversized sea creatures supposed to stick to the lower depths of the ocean?”

“Uhhhh... modern scientific observation would appear to concur.”

“So, what's it doing around this atoll? Just hanging out?”

“I figured Verlaxion's Shard was to blame.”

“I mean besides that,” Rainbow said. “It's got no business being around here. So... maybe it's dying. Maybe it's a fluke. Maybe... it deserves to be put it out of its misery. And if the payoff is bringing back the other girls...” She shrugged. “Then what's stopping me?”

Twilight bit her lip.

“Go ahead, Twilight.” Rainbow glanced aside. “Say it.”

“Just... that it's a very dangerous way of thinking,” she eventually murmured.

Rainbow nodded. “Believe me. If I could do something that was completely 'harmonious,' I would. And right at that moment—when I had the spear in my hooves and I could have stabbed my way into Ultimo's brain...” She sighed. “I wanted nothing else. It... has more to do with just the fact that you're here, Twilight. I've got to know that I'm here for a good purpose.” She sat up again, exhaling. “And Verlaxion's gotta know too.”

“You... uh... you think she's observing us somehow?” Twilight remarked.

“She's got a big magical ice turd parked in the heart of the Lagoon, hasn't she?”

Twilight chuckled. She turned her head and gestured towards where Nick and Flare sat across from each other, smiling tranquilly. “If you ask me, I think you've already brought some good with you at this point in your journey.”

“Mmmmm...” Rainbow nodded. “So long as Flare isn't disappointed with 'Needlepoint' there.”

Twilight giggled.

Silence reined, broken occasionally by the rhythmic roll of the ocean surf.

“Twilight?”

“Yes, Rainbow?”

The pegasus looked aside, her ruby eyes thin, sharp. Like her pendant. “What makes you so sure that Yaerfaerda is leading us towards Rarity now?”

Twilight blinked.

“You mentioned her when I was about to stab Ultimo,” Rainbow said.

“Well... I mean...” Twilight bit her lip. “The Yaerfaerda symbol! Isn't it white and—?”

“That's still no proof of anything yet,” Rainbow said. “You're a friggin' scientist. You should know that.”

“I just... I just figured it was obvious, you know?” Twilight said. “Besides. Think about it.” She turned to look past the strip of land towards where the Atoll's central lagoon loomed. “Verlaxion's Shard here is more than some religious artifact. It was always meant as a gift to the Nealend culture. And what you're doing here... throwing yourself at the elements to rid this place of Ultimo's reign of terror?” She turned to smile at Rainbow. “Well... it's very... very generous, don't you think?”

“Hmmm...” Rainbow smirked. “I try not to think.”

“Then maybe now you know why I've apologized.”

“If that's the case...” Rainbow stood up and dusted herself off. “You're totally forgiven.”

PreviousChapters Next