• Published 11th Sep 2016
  • 656 Views, 22 Comments

Equestria Forever - TheMajorTechie



In a world where nothing is left but war and fear, a precious handful of people, together with the few remaining ponies, strives to bring back the world they once knew...

  • ...
7
 22
 656

A Painful Reality

Author's Note:

For some reason, the GDoc importing is a bit screwed up... again. In several places the tabbed paragraphs have their indent replaced by spaces.

“Hey, I think I know how to save the world,” Tyrone said on the other end of the phone.

Trevin sighed into the phone. This seemed to happen all the time now.

Once upon many years ago, the two were just friends. They hung out together, studied together, and when college came around, they were even roommates.

But now, their friendship is all that’s left. All the parks, destroyed. The schools, razed. The colleges? Those were hospitals now.

“What is it this time?” Trevin finally replied, cradling his chin in a hand.

Tyrone smiled as he looked back towards the folders.

“We’ve gotta save Equestria first. Then I’ll tell ya.”


Equestria: 4 Years after initial attacks.

Twilight paced about inside the bunker, muttering to herself. Spike sat by a leaded window, warily watching for threats with a telescope.

Equestria had fallen years ago. The reason? Nopony knew. It was just a single day, and in that day, Equestria fell to anarchy. The once prospering nation devolved to a ruddy land of mixed clans, all warring for power. It was as if the world they knew had simply been pulled from under their hooves. The Elements were able to hold for a couple of years, before even they cracked.

Ever since the day Equestria crumbled, the mane six have been relying entirely off each other for survival.

No longer were the days and nights run by Celestia and Luna, who had mysteriously disappeared many years ago.

Ponyville stands as the final untouched land, carefully balancing upon the ever thinning plane of existence.

“So, what are we gonna do about this now?”

Twilight turned to Rainbow Dash, and shook her head slowly.

“There’s not much left to do anymore. All we can do is hope for the best.”

Pinkie trotted over to Twilight. She rarely bounced anymore, since the noise it made could alert enemies to their area.

“Couldn’t we use the mirror portal or something?” She asked carefully as she raised a hoof in the direction of the dusty portal in the corner.

“We’ve tried that already,” Twilight replied, gently setting Pinkie’s hoof down. “The other world is in just as much chaos as this one.”

Rarity continued off what Twilight said.

“And even Discord disappeared quite a while back. This certainly couldn’t be of his work.”

Spike glanced about the bunker with a worried frown.

“How long do you think this’ll last, anyways?”

Twilight knocked on the wall, earning a strong, metallic, yet crystalline, ping in response.

“With its construction being enclosed by a large majority of my castle’s ruins, we should be able to last as long as the farms will hold. Right, Applejack?”

Applejack nodded. Though it was outside of the bunker, an underground tunnel had been dug months ago to connect the farm directly to the bunker, allowing for undetectable passage between the two.

“Eyup.”

Twilight turned back towards the rest, as well as the cutie map.

“But there’s still another worry that I have… using the spell that the portal was enchanted with, I’ve traced any possible place we could escape to… but…”

Pinkie planted her hooves on Twilight’s face, pulling her closer. “But what, Twilight?”

“They… the alternate universes… they... “

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes, and shouted, “Come on, Twi, get the point across!”

“THIS UNIVERSE IS THE CONNECTING POINT BETWEEN THOSE UNIVERSES.”

Dash shrugged. “So?”

“What that means, is that each universe stems off of this one, and because of that, anything that happens in this universe still has a chance of happening in the alternate universes. And because of this universe’s current instability, we’re headed for a collision between universes.”

Everypony, besides Pinkie, stared back towards the Princess in confusion.

“I’m sorry, darling, but what do you mean by that?”

Twilight facehoofed.

“What I mean is that every possible way to get out of this will eventually bring us back to where we started, because at some point or another, the level of entropy will exceed a maximum point, throwing everything into disarray.”

“...Aaaannnd?”

Twilight threw herself onto the floor in defeat.

“DON’T YOU GET IT?! WE’RE ALL DOOMED! DOOMED, I TELL YOU!

Pinkie gently patted Twilight on the back.

“It’s okay, Twilight. We’ll figure out a way. Like we always do! There’s always more out there.”

Twilight shakily stood back up, her eyes still watering.

“You’re right, Pinkie. There’s still more out there… if only I knew where…”

“Maybe a whole different universe that this was created by!”

“What do you mean by that?

Pinkie hoofed the ground.

“Well, I’m pretty sure that there’s the possibility that every idea, action, and thought we have will create a new universe, so… it’s possible that this universe was formed out of a simple idea from some being in an entirely different universe!”

Rolling her eyes, Twilight replied, “And what are the chances of that?”

Pinkie sighed.

“It can range from infinitely small to infinitely large. Mainly because of the sheer number of possible universes that could host a near-infinite number of thoughts and actions.

Twilight muttered something about impossible possibilities as the rest of the group just stared at Pinkie.

After Twilight left the room, Rainbow Dash leaned in towards Pinkie.

“I think you’re onto something there.”


Trevin facepalmed.

“And how are we going to save a fictional nation? And what are we saving it from, anyways?”

Tyrone quickly scanned the room to make sure he wasn’t being watched as he whispered into the phone.

“Us.”

“And how are we saving them from ourselves? If we do anything to save them, that would just bring us back to where we are now.”

Tyrone set the phone on the table, enabling the speakerphone. He then hastily strolled towards a dusty filing cabinet besides the kitchen, rummaging through various folders and paper.

“Hello? Tyrone? You there, man?”

Tyrone returned to the table with a worn manilla envelope, with the title, “Pony.exe” hastily scribbled onto its face.

“So, you were saying something, Trevin?”

“Yeah, how would we save them?”

“First we’ve got to figure out a way to contact Equestria. And luckily for us, I know just how to do it.”

Tyrone quickly snapped an image of the folder, and sent it over to his friend.

“Ahh, Pony.exe. Good story, but… how do you think we’d be able to do anything even remotely close to that?”

Tyrone paused.

“I don’t know.”

“Pick something else then.”


Twilight sighed, setting her flank onto the worn floor.

“So, you’re saying that we might just be a so-called ‘product universe’ of an entirely different, unlinked universe?”

Pinkie nodded enthusiastically.

“But how would we contact them? We’re in Ponyville, and all the information about portals and interdimensional travel are locked away in the Canterlot Archives.”

The rest of the ponies in the room just stared at Twilight, bemused looks plastered across their collective faces.

Applejack raised a brow, pointing suggestively at Pinkie with a hoof.

Twilight blushed.

“Oh, right. I forgot that Pinkie can usually handle stuff like that…”


The team gathered about the freshly dusted mirror portal, which now had additional wires hooked up to a makeshift device attached to Pinkie.

“Now then,” Twilight began as she fiddled with the control panel, “using Pinkie’s seemingly endless energy, I will set this portal to transport me to the closest ‘parent universe’ to ours. It may not have the same methods of time scaling, so I may be gone for weeks, months, or even years.”

Twilight raised a hoof, tentatively poking the appendage through the newly rebooted portal. She turned back towards her friends.

“Are you sure you don’t want to come with me?”

She was answered with a slow, collective murmur between her friends, followed by a flurry of nods.

Rainbow Dash stepped up before Twilight.

“Don’t worry, Twi, we’ll watch over things here for ya while your gone.”

Smiling gently, Twilight took a deep breath, and slowly stepped into the swirling portal.