• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 10,521 Views, 626 Comments

May the Best Friends Win - Trinary



Dashverse: Rainbow Dash's old friend is coming to Ponyville and it doesn't go well with her new on

  • ...
12
 626
 10,521

Chapter 14

& & &

Dear Princess Celestia,

Hey C. Rainbow Dash here. I used to think that Twilight probably had more to learn about friendship than I did, especially since she never really had any before. But now I’m starting to think that having too many friends can be almost as challenging as having too few...especially when they don’t get along. I always thought making friends was a snap but keeping friends, especially ones with different interests and goals, is a lot harder.

When Trixie and Rainbow Dash returned to the hospital, they found that word had spread and a number of ponies came with their foals to see to Dinky, including Applejack and Rarity; along with their little sisters. From the death-glares the two mares were shooting Trixie, they had already spoken to Twilight.

The truth is that there are times when you realize that some friendships are built on a stronger foundation than others and not all friendships can be maintained. Sometimes you find out that somepony you thought was a friend was really a false-friend and that there’s nothing you can do but let them go.

Trixie shrank down and tried to hide behind Rainbow Dash as much as possible. Rainbow just nodded to the two of them and gave Trixie a comforting nod. Hesitantly, hat in hoof, Trixie walked over to Applejack and Rarity and their sisters and began to apologize.

This time though? I got lucky.

“Trixie…wishes to apologize.” She fidgeted as she addressed Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom. “Trix—I—want you to know that there is no one way to get your cutie mark. It will reveal itself in its own time. You do not need to leave your sisters…who love you very much.” She walked away, not waiting for a response as she went over to the next pony on her list: Twilight.

When the walls came down and I got to see a glimpse of the real Trixie, I didn’t like what I saw. I don’t think she did either.

Trixie bowed her head underneath Twilight’s glare. “I…am sorry Twilight Sparkle. I-I do not know what else to say.”

But even underneath all of her pettiness and arrogance, I still saw something there worth salvaging. Even more fortunately, she did too.

Trixie flinched as Twilight reached out…and put a hoof on her shoulder. “Then don’t say anything. If you want to be a better pony who deserves Rainbow Dash’s friendship, then be that pony. Don’t just talk, act.” Cloud Kicker stood by, watching. She nodded in approval. Trixie looked furtively at Cloud Kicker as the lavender pegasus walked over.

Before she could even get a word in, Cloud Kicker winked at her. “You better behave there Trix. Cuz, I KNOW how to deal with ponies who’ve been…naughty.” She slapped Trixie’s rump with her wing, making the showmare squeak and blush. Twilight held a hoof over her face, trying not to make her amusement too obvious.

Eager to escape this scene, Trixie hightailed it to the hospital so she could apologize to Dinky.

Trixie ruffled a lot of feathers. Honestly? I’m not sure I would’ve been able to forgive her, let alone even talk to her—if the others hadn’t been willing to. And they were willing to because they didn’t want to put me in the position of throwing a friend of mine out of town. They really are the greatest friends ever.

Trixie sat on the edge of Dinky’s bed. The little filly only had to have two or three stitches put in. The wound would heal over completely, not even leaving a scar and would, in any case, be easily obscured by her mane. Listening to Trixie apologize, Dinky did what came natural to her: she got up and walked over to give her a hug. Shaking, Trixie hugged the foal back as her body wracked with sobs; touched by the sweet innocence of a filly she had needlessly risked.

And while most ponies were willing to forgive Trixie, that isn’t to say that there weren’t…consequences.

The door to Dinky’s room opened, alerting Trixie and Dinky to somepony walking in. “Hi momma!” Trixie’s brow beaded with sweat as she slowly turned around. She quailed underneath Ditzy’s furious glower.

“M-Miss Doo…” Trixie began.

Ditzy’s eyes narrowed. “Outside. Now.” She snapped her wing so fast that it cracked like a whip as she pointed outside. The unicorn hung her head as she meekly marched out. Ditzy closed the door behind them. She brusquely nodded to an empty room across the hall. Trixie gulped as she hesitantly walked into the room. Ditzy Doo gently closed the door behind her with a click. What followed was a series of loud smacks and yelping.

Still, all things considered, I think things turned out well.

Your most awesome and loyal student,

Rainbow Dash

As Rainbow Dash stuck her letter to the Princess in the mail, she noticed Trixie hobbling over towards her. “Hey Trix. How’s it going?”

Trixie grumbled, grateful her cape was long enough to cover her red backside. “Fine.” She said icily.

Rainbow shrugged. “Hey, Ditz is real protective of her daughter. You’re lucky you’re still in one piece. Still, since that’s behind us, er, no offense, we can start fresh! Ha, just wait until Pinkie throws you a proper welcome party! Trust me it’s—”

“I—I can’t stay.” Trixie forced out.

“—gonna be awesome.” Rainbow finished weakly. “What? Why? I thought the point was for you to apologize so you could stay!”

She shook her head. “No…I wanted to stay your friend. But I don’t think I can stay here. This…this is your life. I’d always feel like an outsider here, like I was intruding on something of yours. Even your friends, if they ever liked me, would be friends with me because you were friends with me. I want—I want to make some friends, on my own. I can’t do that here…with you.”

Rainbow felt her heart sink. “…oh.”

“But I still want to be friends! I can come by and do some more shows with you and—and…” Trixie’s face fell. “I’m sorry. I just…I just need something of my own. You were right; I did try to use you to advance my career and I don’t want to do that again.”

“That isn’t the same thing!”

“It is to me!” Trixie shook her head. “Look…my mind’s made up. I won’t be gone as long this time, I promise. I’ll swing back in time for Hearth’s Warming Eve. Maybe I’ll even have some friends for you to meet this time. O-okay?” She smiled encouragingly.

Rainbow sighed but knew she’d never talk Trixie out of it. “Sounds great,” she agreed hollowly. “You, uh, may wanna get going. You know, before Pinkie throws you a greeting and a farewell party.”

Trixie chuckled. “You’re probably right. Never fear though, you have not seen the last of the Great and Powerful Trixie!” She reared up, accompanied by a puff of smoke. By the time it cleared, Trixie was gone and her carriage was already on the move.

Rainbow Dash’s eyes stung. Clearly from the smoke.

Clearly.

The cyan pegasus stood there for several minutes, just watching Trixie’s stagecoach roll off into the distance. Then there was the sound of somepony clearing their throat behind her. Dash turned around.

“Hey, Rainbow Dash.” Raindrops offered hesitantly.

“Hey, Raindrops.” Rainbow returned with an uncomfortable smile.

Awkward pause.

“…nice weather we’re having?” Rainbow offered lamely.

Raindrops nodded. “Could use a little more cirrocumulus laconusi.” Raindrops critiqued then she grimaced. “So…I-I guess that’s whoever you’re hiring to replace me’s problem, isn’t it?”

Dash shook her head. “I’m not replacing you. You’re not in any trouble.” She paused. “Look I’ve had some stuff going on and…well…I get where you’re coming from: it sucks to put your all into something only to have somepony else do it and make it seem like a snap without even trying. So, uh, I guess what I’m trying to say is….sorry?” She offered feebly, rubbing the back of her head. “If…well, if you want to come back, your job’s still open. A-and, I guess I can try to not…um,”

“It’s okay.” Raindrops sighed, smiling slightly. “My way isn’t the only way. If the work gets done and done well, then I guess I really shouldn’t complain if your method is different than mine. Just…could you not rub it in?”

“You’re asking for a lot you know.” Rainbow said, half-jokingly. “But I’ll try.”

“…thank you.” Raindrops said. “So, uh, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow morning?”

Rainbow Dash started to agree when she paused. “Actually, I’m thinking about grabbing a bite to eat. Want to join me?”

Blinking in surprise, Raindrops nodded. “Uh, sure.”

"Cool." The two started walking together. "I was also thinking about this epic prank on Cloud Kicker. You want in?"

Raindrops smirked. "Sounds like a plan."

P.S.
Also, I learned that it's good to realize that different ponies have different methods of approaching things and that there isn't any one right way (well, there's my way but that's if you want it done fast and awesomely). But the best results come from different ponies with different abilities coming together to achieve their goal. And that's awesome too.

-Rainbow Dash

P.P.S.
One more thing: if you ever come into town? There's this one pegasus named Cloud Kicker who's been dying to meet you. Feel free to stop by her place and say hi. Just because.

& & &

Comments ( 82 )

That ending! Kicker would die of happiness!

This story has been incredible! Thank you so much Trinary!

I can't wait to see what comes next in the Dashverse

...I demand to see an epilogue with Cloud Kicker and Celestia.

Hmmm.....I wonder what it is about Trixie getting her plot kicked by angry Pegasi that appeals to me so.......

Well... I don't particularly like Trixie but I do like how you handled her in the end. She didn't get off scott free but neither did she get bashed. Fessing up, apologizing, facing down Mama Doo is worth it. And the ending... Celestia would know better, and the Guard would let her within a furlong of that mare.

Oh fanon Cloud Kicker, never change.

I definitely enjoyed the ending, it had a nice balance to it.

What followed was a series of loud smacks and yelping.

:rainbowlaugh:

That ending is a good ending. It's a bit bittersweet, but it leads into happy times at Hearth's Warming (Which had BETTER be written)


And I am amazed that Ditzy only spanked Trixie. She coulda done worse.

“You better behave there Trix. Cuz, I KNOW how to deal with ponies who’ve been…naughty.” She slapped Trixie’s rump with her wink, making the showmare squeak and blush.

Damn it, CloudKicker, there are children around. Actually... on second thought, she could've done worse.

Now that's a lovely ending. Well balanced between Trixie having to pay for the way she's treated everypony, and Trixie being given the chance to become a better pony. It's sad that she feels she has to leave town, but it does make sense. I think Trixie could have a lot to offer her friends if she changes her attitude a bit - underneath all her negative qualities are some very good ones, too. Excellent resolution to a lovely story.

It updated!:pinkiehappy:...but it's the end:pinkiesad2:...there will be more, right, Trinary?:fluttercry:

:fluttershyouch:

So many feels...

This story was great. It touched on all the right notes, and managed to end in an awesome way. Also, it was fun to see "my" version of Raindrops ported over to a different universe.

Can't wait to see what you do next!

1715388

Thank you so much!!
It was a pleasure writing for Dropsy, oops! I mean Raindrops. :pinkiehappy:

Given what Trixie has done, I believe her consequences are thankfully highlighted and everything went swell by the end. No necessary grudges are held, yet there's always a single, angry Ditzy Doo who will kick your sorry flank for messing with her daughter. Seriously, though, it could have gone worse, given how much we have seen of how protective she is of Dinky.

This was a great story. I didn't realize quite how long it would be, but it blended in nicely into 14 chapters and gave a great story with a message that can easily be found in an episode. Kudos to you.

Kicker could get a little bit of celestia's pie eh....

Nice ending, though i still don't get why her advice to Sweetie and Apple Bloom was so wrong. Sometimes you need to move to discover yourself.

1715388>>1715451

I'll admit, I kinda wanted to see Rainbow and Raindrops get into a brawl. Especially since this is Lunaverse Raindrops who can break boulders with her bare hooves.

Very good, very good indeed. You're definitely one of my better authors.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is an example of a Proper Ending. If you can set theme music to an ending, you pulled it off.

I set theme music to this ending. In my head. It was awesome.

1715451 So, was that P.P.S. part of the setup for that prank on Cloud Kicker?:pinkiehappy::rainbowlaugh:

1715513 They're in grade school. While it did work for Trixie it's not actually a good idea to leave home that young. Heck if Equestria has child labor laws they literally can't get any traditional job.

1715260 Of course Celestia might know better and decide to go because she knows exactly what Cloud Kicker is like. Immortal nigh-all-powerful godlike beings have needs too. Then again she could also go simply because of how badly she could mess with CK.

Great story Trinary. You better keep up with this universe, or I will find you.:pinkiecrazy:

Also, I've been wondering, why was Surprise in the cover picture?

And one more thing, Why aren't your stories featured on EqD? They're definitely good enough.

It was a good salvage, but really wish the last chapter had been split into two and better-constructed. The consequences chapter is well-done, but would have been especially good if, like the situation with canon Gilda, Rainbow Dash actually had seen Trixie for what she's supposed to have been.

THEN DINKY FALLS OFF OF RAINBOW AND DEATH BECOMES HER! The End.

1715513
Sending a minor out into the world like what Trixie suggested is a bad idea, Applejack was able to do it when she was AB's age because she was with family.
1715706
I'm trying to ignore most of that, it's coming precariously close to having Her Serene Majesty being part of the Unholy Trinity

1715650 Which theme music? Just out of curiosity...?

1715774

In all honesty: I made it up as I went. It was influenced by stereotypical Anime Closing Music, but I just sort of started humming.

No I am not a musician.

No I do not intend to be.

Yes, it is possible to be able to do that even if it's not your special talent.

Yes I did in fact just use that phrase in normal conversation.

:-D Non-bronies might look at you weird for saying that, but around here I think we all know what you mean. :pinkiesmile:

I just wondered if it was actual published music you thought of... and if so, which song title. *shrug* Oh well.

I just realized, you finished this arc in the Rainbowverse the day before Trixie comes back to ponyville...That is so creepily awesome. //dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/Trixie_lolface_2.png
It makes me want to favorite this about a thousand more times. [Edit: close enough]

1715906

Truth be told, I wanted to get this chapter out before tomorrow's episode so my writing wouldn't be unduly influenced by the episode. I was tempted to wait but I decided that I wanted Trixie in my universe to be my own and finish it the way I wanted it to end.In stories that are not Dashverse, that are supposed to occur in the 'canon' universe Trixie will probably be (as the clips I've seen of tomorrow's episode suggest) a complete and total $itch.

1715940
Well, I could never mix canon and this story, because your writing of Trixie was brilliantly done, better than the shows in fact, probably because of the backstory and motives added in. The shows Trixie isn't badly written, just not...complete. Hopefully, that will be fixed tomorrow morning, and it won't be a straight up 'Trixie's back, more powerful, more evil, the end.'

1715298
^this. Dear god did I laugh at that. Nice job once again, Tri!

1716193

Hee, I try!

:derpytongue2: Don't you mess with a mare who's eyes have their own swagger!

1716301

Eenope. I'm doomed if she ever gets ahold of me.

Great ending to a great story.
Everything gets tied up without seeming contrived. Plus there's room left for life to go on afterward. Really nicely done.:pinkiehappy:

I would love to see you write about the return to harmony discord would rock

I liked how that all turned out. Hopefully this isnt the last we will see of the Dashverse? :trixieshiftright:

Congrats on finishing another excellent fic!

Aw, man... it's over? :pinkiesad2: Pinkie Pie is saddened by surprise ending.

Well, if it's your call and doesn't feel rushed, I guess it's better to end it this way, even though I still think Dash's friends in this universe could've done more to earn Trixie's forgiveness or shown a bit more complications with Dash trying to regain her friends and co-workers forgiveness, at least maybe with a couple. Though I mean, something to be said about simple ending too and I'm guessing Twilight probably saw if she didn't cancel the spell, how sorry Trixie felt at what happened as a result of her actions and probably told the ones that were wronged, about it. I was gonna ask about the quickness, when read you would write it AFTER the episode, but you already answered that, so eh. dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/shrug_Rainbow_Dash.png

Hope to see new Dashverse story before much longer, Trinary! Even though this one was a roller coaster, would like to see what other eps you could turn into works like this one, based off eps or otherwise from your own ideas.

Errors that care to point out:
I’m starting to think that have too many <---------- Should be having, based off rest of the sentence and in this portion, sounds more right.
there’s nothing you can do but let them go. <----------- Not sure if should be "but to let", but might be fine as it currently is.

Ditzy’s eyes narrowed. “Outside. Now.” She snapped her wing so fast that it cracked like a whip as she pointed outside.
The unicorn hung her head as she meekly marched out. Ditzy closed the door behind them. She brusquely nodded

Missing a space between these two supposed paragraphs, got cut off or forgot.
would be friends with me because you were friend with me. <-------- Friends.

1715727
Clarify for me when she DIDN'T. I mean, Twilight used that spell that swapped one of her eyes with Rainbow's, allowing them both to see and hear (thanks to another spell) what was going on with the other, through their borrowed eye.

1717942 Well, unless Twilight (and thus Rainbow) saw and heard more than Trinary described them seeing and hearing, the only things that Rainbow saw were Trixie being mean to Twilight, Trixie genuinely and legitimately horrified to learn that she'd accidentally hurt a foal with her advice, and Trixie completely wigging out in the aftermath of the news, ranting about how only she could help Rainbow realize her full potential. Which is arrogant, certainly, but viewed through the lens of a long-time friend who's the Element of Loyalty, it's more misguided than the horrible pony that Twilight was insisting Trixie was. In canon, Rainbow was standing right there and watching Gilda blow her stack at a few pranks and then blabber how she actually saw the ponies around her; in this fanon, well-written as it is, Rainbow was standing right there watching a pony she wanted to think the best of getting downright hysterical after learning that somepony got hurt frying to follow her advice. If Trixie is the mare that we're assured (through other ponies talking about her) she is, Rainbow saw virtually nothing of the "real" Trixie.

What I saw when I read the passages was Rainbow repeating everything the readers had been told though dialogue about Trixie without having seen any of it. To me, this skipped the indispensable step of Rainbow actually seeing and hearing what the readers have been. To put it another way, say that the only time we'd ever seen Trixie talk in this entire story was just the passages that took place after Twilight had put the spell on her and Rainbow. What would we have concluded about Trixie based on nothing but that short burst of dialogue? Not much and certainly nothing like what Rainbow concluded.

Keep in mind, I come at this from the position of someone who's been taking away the wrong lessons from the story. As a reader, I'm supposed to know for certain that Trixie is a bad egg, cruel, selfish, arrogant, sneaky, and other horrible things. What I've actually been learning is that Trixie has some disagreeable traits but is the kind of friend who'd have your back if it came down to the wire. I also tended to think that her advice to the three fillies was ill-considered but actually somewhat meritorious. She had a different philosophy of how to make magic function than Twilight, but it apparently worked for her so she passed it along to Dinky. And her advice to the two Cutie Mark Crusaders showed that she didn't put much thought into the consequences of her advice but the idea that maybe you're not a carbon copy of your sister was, in and of itself, good advice. As to the off-camera Trixie... well, the teller of the story has been consistently painted as being profoundly unserious and someone I personally would never believe unless I had more than their earnest assurance that they're telling me the whole truth. So all in all, I approach this question as someone who thinks that the Trixie Trinary described is a pretty good mare that just needs some polishing around the edges.

This Chapter feels oddly appropriate today. Have been with this since Rainbooms and Royalty Ch.1

Good times.

Can't wait for next "Episode"

Got through reading this and I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I would end up liking it. I haven't read much of your other stuff, but I gave this one a chance and came away feeling pretty good. This is what I hope to see when I read a My Little Pony fanfiction: friends coming together and helping each other and growing into better characters.

I absolutely adore your Trixie. She's spiteful, arrogant, set in her ways and not afraid to give a piece of her mind. But, as you've shown, she's also got the smallest nugget of compassion and decency that just needs a good kick in the rump (or a spanking in this case!) to get it to come out and blossom. Wonderful all around.

Well done and I hope to see you continue with this universe of yours!

Oh, and I see a little Lunaverse slipped in. Nice. Raindrops 4 Life!

1715186
Up next: a crossover with the Lunaverse Chess Game of the Gods. Also, they're all human dudes in high school.:pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy:

1718209

What I saw when I read the passages was Rainbow repeating everything the readers had been told though dialogue about Trixie without having seen any of it. To me, this skipped the indispensable step of Rainbow actually seeing and hearing what the readers have been. To put it another way, say that the only time we'd ever seen Trixie talk in this entire story was just the passages that took place after Twilight had put the spell on her and Rainbow. What would we have concluded about Trixie based on nothing but that short burst of dialogue? Not much and certainly nothing like what Rainbow concluded.

I suspect that she talked to her friends after busting Trixie in order to find out what type of mare Trixie really had been.:rainbowwild:

1715728 Dude, I just realized that Rainbow Dash and Raindrops are essentially playing a DOUBLE prank!:rainbowderp: Pranking Cloud Kicker AND Princess Celestia...we need you to write a one-shot of that prank!:rainbowdetermined2:

This=pretty much the only Trixie fanfic that I like. Well done! :pinkiesmile:

1718209
Yeesh... that was a lot longer than I expected it to be. :rainbowderp: Eh, good points and I suppose all good things to keep in mind (I realize now that the story's over, that don't think we saw the slightest bit of Scootaloo, in comparison with bit cameos by the two that some scenes were centered around; not complaining, just saying). Though Trixie should've tried to think that even if the fillies didn't necessarily have parents (at least, to Trixie's knowledge) that their leaving might cause undue pain and such, much like her own probably did, even if she didn't think a lick of that before doing it when she was their age. And when you say the teller of the story, do you mean Rainbow Dash? :applejackconfused: As doubt you mean Trinary exactly.

1719006 I'd buy into that if the delay between Trixie's conversation with Twilight and Rainbow confronting Trixie hadn't been so small.

1719548

Yeesh... that was a lot longer than I expected it to be. :rainbowderp:

Logging on at random at 3 AM tends to have that effect on me.

And when you say the teller of the story, do you mean Rainbow Dash? :applejackunsure:

I mean Cloud Kicker. She's the one who sat Twilight down and told her the story of a drunk Trixie confessing all. Speaking personally, I wouldn't trust the account of someone like her unless I had further evidence, not because she's promiscuous but because she strikes me as a biased observer and even came right out and admitted that she had a motive to paint Trixie in a bad light.

Awesome follow up! I hope there are many many more such episodes!

Login or register to comment